PDA

View Full Version : Bills grant Vincent's request to be released



AZ_Steeler
10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Since the Steelers went out and signed Chad Brown why don't they go ahead and pick up this aging defensive guy as well :lol:

All jokes aside, it's sad to see how the Bills treated him and I'm sure this guy has one more good year as a backup in his tank! Hopefully someone will give him a chance...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhfPvKL2u4VilE5MrqxxMJtDubYF?slug=ap-bills-vincent&prov=ap&type=lgns)


ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Troy Vincent is a free agent after the Buffalo Bills granted the veteran defensive back's wish to be released Thursday.

The team announced in a two-paragraph statement that it terminated Vincent from its injured reserve list.

Vincent told The Associated Press earlier in the day that he anticipated the move, saying he made the request to be released on Wednesday. The 15-year NFL veteran said he's open to offers to play for another team now that he's fully recovered from a left hamstring injury that led Buffalo to place him on IR four weeks ago.

"I'm ready to go," the 35-year-old Vincent said. "To be fair, it was the right time for me. ... Now's the time for me to look at where I'm at. And I still want to play some football."

Coach Dick Jauron was not available for comment following the announcement, but had anticipated the move earlier in the day.

Vincent had already cleared out his locker and his nameplate was no longer above his stall.

While Vincent said he enjoyed his two-plus seasons in Buffalo, he's not pleased with how the team handled his status after he was hurt in the Bills season-opening loss at New England.

Blitzburgh55
10-13-2006, 06:38 PM
He lived two mineuts away from me and he finallied moved to buffalo this summer and he gets released

BlitzburghRockCity
10-14-2006, 06:18 AM
I remember when Troy Vincent was a beast DB for the eagles. And, well that's about all I have to say about that.....


:greengrin:

AZ_Steeler
10-16-2006, 07:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoO_vU_hdO6YAGSq9_MnYRlDubYF?slug=ap-redskins-vincent&prov=ap&type=lgns)


Struggling against the pass, Redskins sign DB Troy Vincent

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
October 16, 2006

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- After six weeks of letting receivers run unfettered through the secondary, the slumping Washington Redskins tried to address the problem Monday by signing five-time Pro Bowl defensive back Troy Vincent.

Vincent, whose 47 interceptions ranks second among active players, was released from Buffalo Bills' injured reserve list last week. The 15-year veteran hurt his hamstring in preseason and aggravated it in the season opener against New England, but he said last week he had fully recovered and was ready to take offers from other teams.

Vincent, 35, joins a team that has spent heavily on safeties and cornerbacks, only to watch them allow more passing plays of 20-plus yards (25) than any team except Green Bay. The Redskins (2-4) ranked 23rd in the league in pass defense through Sunday's games, and they lost on Sunday to a rookie quarterback (Vince Young) starting for a winless team (Tennessee).

Vincent had a strong season last year, with a career-high 102 tackles and a team-high four interceptions with the Bills. The No. 7 overall pick by Miami in 1992, Vincent played four seasons with the Dolphins and eight with Philadelphia before joining Buffalo in 2004, where he switched to free safety after spending his first 12 seasons as a cornerback.

Vincent was surprised when the Bills placed him on IR last month, given that his injury was relatively minor, but the team said it needed to clear a roster spot for other purposes. He was released Thursday and had planned visits to several NFL teams.

The Redskins need help as much as anybody, both at safety and cornerback. The defense has only two interceptions this year, and one of those was by a lineman.

Adam Archuleta was signed to the richest contract given to a safety in NFL history in the offseason, but he has struggled in pass coverage and hasn't been a force as a run-stopper. Third-year safety Sean Taylor was expected to establish himself as one of the best in the league this year, but he has lacked his usual ferocity and has also been susceptible to passes over the middle. Nickel safety Pierson Prioleau was lost for the season opener with a knee injury in the opening game.

Shawn Springs, the team's only shutdown cornerback, made his season debut Sunday after missing the first five games with abdomen and groin injuries. Even then, he only played in nickel packages, and he said Monday he might need another week or two before he's fit enough to play an entire game.

Second-year cornerback Carlos Rogers has been a disappointment. He broke his thumb in Sunday's game, but the initial prognosis was that he would not miss a game.

Free agent pickup Kenny Wright lost his receiver on a fourth-down play against the Titans, allowing a 23-yard completion on a key drive. The performance of another new acquisition, Mike Rumph, has been such a letdown that he was made inactive Sunday.

Vincent was at Redskins Park on Monday and was expected to talk to reporters later in the day.

His first assignment will be a tough one -- the Redskins face one of the top passing offenses Sunday when they visit Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts. It will be Vincent's 200th NFL game.

Vincent is also the president of the NFL Players Association.