PDA

View Full Version : The Coaches Are The Main Problem - Opinion

Steelers70
09-28-2008, 05:30 AM
This article is purely my own opinion and I wrote it for two reasons... To vent and to open a dialog. I hope everyone here thinks it over, and answers it where appropriate. Feel free to tell me I'm insane. (The wife often does) LOL

We have a weak O-line... Big Ben holds the ball too long... Receivers were dropping passes... The water girl fills the cups wrong... These are the main things we hear from every fan site about our offense problems this year. Well... Maybe not the water girl thing. She's actually doing a bang up job. In week one our team looked like a major threat, but we were playing against Houston. That's kind of like calling a man tough for beating up a special needs kid. Still it kept us Steelers fans warm and fuzzy for a week. Cleveland was supposed to be our ultimate challenge according to many experts, but they were still just the Browns. Problem is we only won by a small bit. We should have been able to trample them severely. It was after this game we began to hear about the possible problems with our offense ala last year. Though mostly we heard from fans about Shaun Rogers late hit. (which nothing ever came of it.) Then came Philly... They put Big Ben on his back and face so often that I'm sure Ben had to think about a softer mattress for his home afterwards. It's at this juncture that the fan base erupted with all the blame game finger pointing.

The problem I've had with all this is that only a minority believe it's completely the coaching staff's fault. A very small minority. I personally believe that Coaches are sometimes saddled with talentless teams and have to rebuild to get to where they can accomplish something special. This wasn't the case with Mike Tomlin. He received a very shiny Super Bowl contending team when he joined up. And everything he's done from his two drafts to his choices on the field during game time have been horrible.

Now I know I could end up getting flamed for the above statement and that's fine. As long as people think it over. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about.

McFadden... Why was his contract allowed to go unextended? With him turning out to be one of the better CBs in the league, the Steelers will have to pay him top money to keep him which is unlikely since other teams will pay him much much more to leave us behind. We can say it's the front office responsible for this, but in truth the Coach is supposed to tell the front office whom he'd like to keep each off season. But the coach didn't start him last season or this season even though he is better than Townsend overall. So even though they could have signed him for much less during the offseason they let it go. The Coach is absolutely responsible for this considering he's supposed to be judging the talent and has fallen short repeatedly every time. So now we may lose one of the best CBs in free agency when really good ones are hard to come by.

The O-Line... Drafting and Free Agency were not employed in a manner that would have strengthened it. Their backup OT is making more than the starters while he warms a bench, proving he obviously wasn't worth even half that. Blocking assignments are often missed due to confusion on where they should be during a blitz. Bad to average centers brought in after forty years of hall of fame centers. The center is key to protection as the nose tackle is in a 3-4 defense.

The Running game... Mendenhall wasn't used more often in earlier weeks, leaving him to hold the bag in week four against a strong running defense. This means he gets to carry the ball and a load of pressure with each handoff. Unacceptable. In the preseason he was tagged with a fumble bounty which I'm sure did wonders for his confidence. When Tomlin should have tried to establish a running game in week 3 he instead squelched it enough to encourage Philly to bring the 8 and 9 man blitz packages against Big Ben.

The QB... Leftiwych was a so-so to crappy QB in Jacksonville that had a few good games but blew the big ones leading to Del Rio being told that if Leftiwych failed again then Del Rio would be looking for work. (So I figure from the out of left field cutting of his star QB). Now we have the QB and His coach from Jacksonville and things are starting to smell bad. And with 10 million or so invested in coaches how does that square up with 100 million invested in Big Ben? Who's expendable? When does management decide they've beat up and shortened the career of their franchise QB enough? Things you'd think the coaches would consider. The Offensive Coordinator should also be designing plays that take into account broken protection on the line and yet we haven't seen this.

Wide Receivers and TEs... We're seeing missed routes, dropped passes, and missed blocks under pressure situations. These should have been practiced so they could be performed in their sleep. Another coaching blunder. Star receivers and TEs don't suddenly play badly if they are coached correctly. It's the coaches responsibility to ensure each receiver or tight end knows the exact place to be at the exact time in a hot route. Didn't see that in the Philly game.

2008 Draft picks... The team spent a lot of money on these draft picks and they don't even play special teams except for a couple of them. Wide Receivers and line backers almost always get their teeth cut on special teams. Yet we keep ours working hard to keep the benches securely held to the ground for fear they'll float away. Sweed and Davis at the very least should be on special teams this season contributing and learning. So then Woods gets injured and do they put in Davis? Nope. They cut a backup running back and sign a practice squad undrafted free agent to take his place. I'm surprised Gary Russell didn't get snapped up by another team too when that happened.

Coaches... Arians is out there. His game plan isn't original as suggested before the season started. It's actually fairly predictable. On top of that he calls deep pass plays during short yard situations and short yard plays during third and long. He doesn't have what it takes to be the play caller. Ken Anderson has done nothing to improve any of Ben's areas that lack somewhat, and his resume is less than stellar in Jacksonville. He's basically a waste of money. Tomlin should have tried field goals here and there instead of punting when we were decently enough into the opposing teams' territory. He should have over ruled Arians when obvious bone headed plays were being called in Philly. He should have addressed the real needs of the team instead of consistantly picking up positions we already had several to choose from. Even if it lead to disagreements with the GM. Which I doubt it would have.

Just about everything I've seen from Tomlin and his staff has been less than what we'd expect from a Steelers coach through the last four decades. As I see it there are only two possibilities for the remainder of our season... One is that Tomlin gets his act together and gets the team back on track to win the division and get us into the playoffs, which is what a good coach does. Or the team continues it's decline and crashes out requiring a whole new coaching staff and a complete team rebuild that will take years to get us back to where we should be. I'm really hoping for the former and fearing it will be the latter.

My main point is this; Every problem we can identify goes directly back to the Head Coach. It's his team to build or break after all.

-Steelers 70

AZ_Steeler
09-28-2008, 05:38 AM
McFadden... Why was his contract allowed to go unextended? With him turning out to be one of the better CBs in the league, the Steelers will have to pay him top money to keep him which is unlikely since other teams will pay him much much more to leave us behind. We can say it's the front office responsible for this, but in truth the Coach is supposed to tell the front office whom he'd like to keep each off season. But the coach didn't start him last season or this season even though he is better than Townsend overall. So even though they could have signed him for much less during the offseason they let it go. The Coach is absolutely responsible for this considering he's supposed to be judging the talent and has fallen short repeatedly every time. So now we may lose one of the best CBs in free agency when really good ones are hard to come by.
I think the FO learned their lesson when they resigned Ike. He had that great year, everyone was saying they need get Ike locked up long term, so the FO did and look what happened the next year... he was benched! I think Ike is still a good corner but not a great one. The FO definitely learned a lesson though and now know not to get excited about one good year because it doesn't really mean anything.

yinzer
09-28-2008, 07:27 AM
ya, the blame falls on everyone last week in philly. these guys are pros, right? they should take what happened last week and fix the problems. plain and simple. we have the tools to be great.

Zachintosh66
09-28-2008, 08:18 AM
Well put yinzer

jpele
09-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Basically what Ed Bouchette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08272/915798-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml) had to say .

I don't believe our O'line is as bad as they seem, they're being forced into a zone blocking scheme. This type of scheme calls for smaller and faster linemen. Our line is better suited to drive and trap blocking. JMO.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-28-2008, 11:15 AM
The only problems we have are Offensive C. an O-LINE coach, an the fact that we need some real line men:lol:Other than that we are fine:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Very nice article, well said! We may feature this on the homepage!

Anyways; a coach can only do so much to prepare a team and ultimately it comes down to the players executing. Now when you have a blunder filled performance like last week with the OL where they openly admitted they did not communicate well that to me comes down to coaching and not getting these guys prepared for the onslaught that awaited them. Granted they are new working together so it's going to take some time but still you'd like to see them atleast be able to respond after halftime instead of getting worse.

As far as McFadden goes I think they were taking a wait and see approach with him mainly because he was injured a fair amount of his career and while he did play well in many situations I don't think he quite showed enough to warrant a big time deal right away. they will pay through the nose though after this season to keep him and with Deshea in the last year of his deal they will probably want to really try and resign McFadden unless they think Gay is ready to step up.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Very nice article, well said! We may feature this on the homepage!

Anyways; a coach can only do so much to prepare a team and ultimately it comes down to the players executing. Now when you have a blunder filled performance like last week with the OL where they openly admitted they did not communicate well that to me comes down to coaching and not getting these guys prepared for the onslaught that awaited them. Granted they are new working together so it's going to take some time but still you'd like to see them atleast be able to respond after halftime instead of getting worse.

As far as McFadden goes I think they were taking a wait and see approach with him mainly because he was injured a fair amount of his career and while he did play well in many situations I don't think he quite showed enough to warrant a big time deal right away. they will pay through the nose though after this season to keep him and with Deshea in the last year of his deal they will probably want to really try and resign McFadden unless they think Gay is ready to step up.

I disagree....I think the coaches deserve most of the blame....Yes the players deserve it to.....But this team under Mike Tomlin has been horrible on the road.....I think that is a telling sign about Mike Tomlin as a HC.....I'm less and less impressed with this guy every day.....I was thrilled when he was hired but Tomlin really hasn't shown anything as a HC......I'll give him credit for making the play-offs after this team finished 8-8 in 2006....But there also was a ton of talent on this team....Hopefully I'm wrong with Tomlin but I have a feeling this guy is going to ruin this team and we're going to waste 3-5 seasons with him which will be most of the young players prime years on this team....

I'm not going to get started on Bruce Arians.....I don't have the time to get going on him....But if this team doesn't live up to expectations this year then Bruce has to go after the season.....If not then I'm going to call for Tomlin's head to.....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Oh trust me I know the coaching staff is to blame as much as anyone; the problem is sometimes it's hard to tell on the offensive line if it's just the players not getting it or if it's the coaching not teaching them right or what. Last week to me that comes down to coaching for sure, if you can't get your guys to communicate when blitzers are coming when they practice against a blitzing team all the time then that tells me that somewhere the lines of communication are broken.

One thing about Steeler teams in the past is no matter how bad the offense was the OL was always solid and the QB was protected. We may not have had the weapons we do now and we throw more but still the line is just so disfunctional they can't even get out of their own way. Honestly I don't know at this point if it's Tomlin not putting his foot down or if it's that he just he's mainly letting Bruce call the shots each week because he trusts him or what, but that needs to stop pronto! Tomlin is no idiot, he's been around the league but our line just doesn't seem to be getting it. He's kinda stuck with the group he has now and since we didn't address the line in the last 2 drafts we are now paying for it. there was a time when we always took atleast 2 OL in every draft but the last few year we've ignored them and now we suck. It's going to take honestly a total revamp of this group IMO before anything changes. If we don't have the protection it doesn't matter what the game plan is, and that lack of protection with quality lineman and good coaching is squarely on the shoulders of Tomlin and his staff.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Well I know Tomlin and coach Zeirlein don't have much to work with along the OL....But look at the Pats roster of OL.....They're not filled with first round talents but still are a very good OL....I don't care how bad they looked against the Giants in the Super Bowl....I don't think the Pats found gems in all them...My point is they have a system and have good enough coaches to coach those players up to max their potential...I don't see that from our coaching staff....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Our OL is far from full of gems I'll give you that. Outside of Marvel who is clearly our best lineman we have a group of guys who are in desperate need of being taught properly. As much as I hate the Pats you cannot fault Belichick and his staff for being able to get the most out of his team and putting them in situations that utilizes their talents to help the team succeed. Bill has a lot more experience than Tomlin, things can turn around but he is going to have to put his foot down and demand that things change or get the right people in here to do it because this team is going to continue to underachieve until he does.

YOu can have all the talent in the world; a pro bowl QB, pro bowl RB, WR's and TE but if you can't protect your QB you will do nothing in the NFL with any consistency.

Troyisabeast_43
09-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I disagree....I think the coaches deserve most of the blame....Yes the players deserve it to.....But this team under Mike Tomlin has been horrible on the road.....I think that is a telling sign about Mike Tomlin as a HC.....I'm less and less impressed with this guy every day.....I was thrilled when he was hired but Tomlin really hasn't shown anything as a HC......I'll give him credit for making the play-offs after this team finished 8-8 in 2006....But there also was a ton of talent on this team....Hopefully I'm wrong with Tomlin but I have a feeling this guy is going to ruin this team and we're going to waste 3-5 seasons with him which will be most of the young players prime years on this team....

I'm not going to get started on Bruce Arians.....I don't have the time to get going on him....But if this team doesn't live up to expectations this year then Bruce has to go after the season.....If not then I'm going to call for Tomlin's head to.....

Im right with you 32 I am still not sold on Tomlin either with everything you say here. I want to see him win a significant game on the road such as next Sunday in Jacksonville or the Monday night game in Washington before I am convinced that this guy is truly ready to take the next step as a head coach in this league. If this Steelers team comes out flat and loses to the Jags next week and just continues to play in spurts every other game then you're going to start to hear me getting on his case a lot. I totally agree with you though that while Im not ready to completely throw Tomlin under the bus just yet there is just something about him that just doesnt seem all there. With the weak year in the AFC this year with Brady being lost by the Pats, and Indy having an off year Tomlin had better find a way to improve this team and go further in the playoffs.

Steelers70
09-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Ever since Chuck Noll took over, Pittsburgh has built it's teams through the draft. We always looked out for what was needed to keep our depth going so as to replace aging players, that may command too high a salary cap, with younger players that command less money. Cowher followed this winning formula and while he was only 50% in his two Super Bowl appearances; He kept us in the playoffs most years. Tomlin comes along and two drafts in a row he drafts to positions that already had decent enough depth. Everyone was like... Alright, I'm sure he's going to take care of it in Free Agency then... But he never did. Now we have an aging defense with almost no one to learn from the greats there before they retire or move on. Our O-Line is a shambles for the first time that I can remember for a long time. I certainly hope that tomorrow night we get things squared away, because as it stands we have some very tough teams to play in the coming weeks and I don't like when our team drafts high on a tight cap. Maybe we should trade our first round and second round pick for a decent Head Coach and see if the NFL will let us draft an Offensive Coordinator in the third round. lol

ejsteeler
09-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Ok, first of all.....

Well, than there's.......

But, you have to....

Oh ****, I agree with it all.:evilshake:

SteelD43
09-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Good article...I was amazed nothing was done to stop Ben from taking all those wicked shots last week...nothing. He was looking for Dawkins everytime the ball was snapped. I saw absolutely no adjustments offensively after halftime, it was hard to watch. They didnt even try to establish any sort of running game going in to the third quarter.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Tomlin needs to step up and fix this team..he's the main guy and it's time he puts his foot down and start head hunting till this offense gets fixed.

badzy
10-01-2008, 12:21 AM
every coach wants the best for his team...i havent met a coach who let his team failed. the problem here is lack of cooperation and communication among the team members and the coach.:tt02:

franktillo
10-07-2008, 02:58 AM
The fact is that Tomlin is akin to Cowher, and even Noll. They were young, and inexperienced. Tomlin is going to make a lot of bad decisions. I have relegated myself to understanding this. But, like the Rooneys did with their previous coaches, they will give him time to adapt, and overcome. The Steelers know football. The ownership will undoubtably stick to their man in Tomlin, and eventually he will reward them. Continuity in the NFL is seldom come by, especially when you take into account head coaching. There will be mistakes made by Tomlin, but the team will live, they will do well, and once Mike "gets it" he will be a very good coach. Let us not forget that Pittsburgh was calling for Cowher's head for years, yet the Rooney's continually extended him. Their reward, a fifth Lombardi trophy. Let up on Tomlin, he is experiencing growing pains. The Steelers will be fine. They may even suprise a lot of people and contend for the championship.