PDA

View Full Version : Bottom line, can this Offensive line do the job this year at all?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2008, 01:35 AM
If you read this article in the PG today (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08272/915703-66.stm) you can see that the team seems to realize how bad the line played and how much they need to improve. By reading it you could take it as they have spent all week watching tape, practicing against the blitz, etc. and are ready for the Baltimore pass rush that will be coming.

They are saying the right things but in all honestly let's be real here...the 5 guys we have starting are pretty much all we have to work with. Starks couldn't beat out Colon who isn't even a true Tackle. Stapleton has potential but doesn't appear to be ready yet. Essex is a serviceable backup and well that's pretty much it right now. It's a scary situation for not the least of reasons being we don't have much depth in quantity or quality right now behind these starters.

Can the 5 we have now pull it together and keep Ben upright on any type of regular basis at all? Chris K. and Hartwig are new so there is an adjustment period but still...one wonders what in God's name Tomlin has been thinking with this group.

DanRooney
09-28-2008, 02:06 AM
You know which answer I voted on. I have no confidence in this OL whatsoever. :evilshake:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Im at 50-50 right now...early indications are that this group is picking up right where last years group did but Im hoping for a miracle right now. We've all seen young groups struggle early on and then by mid season they start to find their stride and end up playing really well but....

Steelers70
09-28-2008, 05:42 AM
I think they're about as bad a line as the Steelers have ever had. It should have been addressed in the off season.

-Steelers70

yinzer
09-28-2008, 07:58 AM
i'm 50-50 right now. we'll see what happens monday night...

Stairwayto7
09-28-2008, 08:01 AM
with the right gameplan, they have a chance, but will Ben survive? Without Ben the season is a waste

HUNT4SEVEN
09-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I believe they are badly COACHED, they were not ready for what hit them last sunday, an they have 2 come out this game an the rest of the season an prove they belong in this league:rant2: We need an real O-LINE coach, an a real Offensive Coordinator:rant2::cursin:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Yea its hard for him to succeed on the blitz kreig....But still he can do some things better himself...What I don't understand is why Ben takes the play clock down to zero....I think maybe an audible would help from time to time...But with all the pre snap motion this offense does it leaves no time for an audible...scrap the motion ****...and leave time for an audible...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2008, 12:12 PM
I would love to see Ben audible more, I agree it seems like he's taking every possible second to read the defense and by then when they switch it up at the last minute there's no time for adjustments. Audible more, use the shotgun, no huddle, anything he can do to help himself because the line sure isn't helping any.

SteelerSteve
09-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I believe they are badly COACHED, they were not ready for what hit them last sunday, an they have 2 come out this game an the rest of the season an prove they belong in this league:rant2: We need an real O-LINE coach, an a real Offensive Coordinator:rant2::cursin:EXACTLY!!!!!

Troyisabeast_43
09-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I think they're about as bad a line as the Steelers have ever had. It should have been addressed in the off season.

-Steelers70

I agree it should have as well especially when you used your 2nd pick in the draft on Limas Sweed and he hasnt even dressed the first month of the season. You could have used that pick on an o-lineman instead that maybe could be helping the team out right now more so then Sweed is who hasnt helped the team one single bit. I dont know about the rest of you but I find Limas Sweed not even dressing yet to be very very disturbing, and it's something that should not be overlooked like it has been so far.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
... but I find Limas Sweed not even dressing yet to be very very disturbing, and it's something that should not be overlooked like it has been so far.

You over analyze everything, we have talked about it and general opinion is that it takes WR longer to learn their position in NFL, imho... most ain't worth too much until 3rd year.
We had a terrible game that's it !! No team is ever as good as it's best game and it sure as hell ain't as bad as it's worst game, and we stunk. The STEELERS are somewhere in between and as the season goes on we will find out where the STEELERS are !!:tt02::tt02:

LatrobePA
09-29-2008, 11:14 AM
The Oline is crap and will only get worse B4 the season is up. First two games Ben got hurt and banged up.

TampaSteelGirl
09-29-2008, 01:13 PM
The Oline looked good the first 2 games so i'm not totally giving up on them. The Eagles didn't look so great last night so maybe we just had a bad night and they had a good one when we played the Eagles. They have to get it together, they know what Ben means to this team, they can't keep allowing themselves to play like this, coaches, Oline and Ben. Ben needs to throw the ball faster as well. I think our line has alot of potential and I think that after last week the coaches are doing some fast adjusting, they have to. It's only our 4th game, we have to give them the benefit of the doubt, it's our first loss, we can't throw in the terrible towel until we see if they've learned from last week. We killed the Texans the first week and the 2nd week they were playing is horrible weather conditions, last week was really a big test, now we need to make the proper adjustments all around the board. Lets see how they do it!! :tt02:

Dean Denton
09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm on the fence here. 50/50. Its only 3 games in, but this line has played bad now for 3 years. Well, going into year three. There is nothing that they have done over the last 3 seasons to make me think they will play better. Even against the Texans Bens still got crushed. Just not 8 times. The 1 was enough to hurt his arm. I look at this team, and shake my head because we give Ben all that money, and think he can play without a good O-line. I'm not on the staff for them, but if I were, the OL would have been the first thing I tried to fix right when Hartings retired. How can you be in the league, and not know you need a good center?

Troyisabeast_43
09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm on the fence here. 50/50. Its only 3 games in, but this line has played bad now for 3 years. Well, going into year three. There is nothing that they have done over the last 3 seasons to make me think they will play better. Even against the Texans Bens still got crushed. Just not 8 times. The 1 was enough to hurt his arm. I look at this team, and shake my head because we give Ben all that money, and think he can play without a good O-line. I'm not on the staff for them, but if I were, the OL would have been the first thing I tried to fix right when Hartings retired. How can you be in the league, and not know you need a good center?

Blame a lot of this on the front office and Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin for not addressing this here over the last 2 seasons. Let's face it Sean Mahan was brought in here to play center last season and he was a complete and total disaster for the most part. Mahan was Tomlin's guy and it was Tomlin who named Mahan the starter and trusted him to get the job done last season when he never even came close. Plus, as Ive been pointing out they used a 2nd round draft pick on Limas Sweed who hasnt even dressed thus far through 3 games this season when they could have used that pick on a o-lineman that could possibly be helping them out right now. My point is so far Tomlin and Colbert's judgement on drafting players other then Woodley and Timmons, and picking good ones up in free agency since they have been working together have not been very good at all.

Dean Denton
09-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Blame a lot of this on the front office and Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin for not addressing this here over the last 2 seasons. Let's face it Sean Mahan was brought in here to play center last season and he was a complete and total disaster for the most part. Mahan was Tomlin's guy and it was Tomlin who named Mahan the starter and trusted him to get the job done last season when he never even came close. Plus, as Ive been pointing out they used a 2nd round draft pick on Limas Sweed who hasnt even dressed thus far through 3 games this season when they could have used that pick on a o-lineman that could possibly be helping them out right now. My point is so far Tomlin and Colbert's judgement on drafting players other then Woodley and Timmons, and picking good ones up in free agency since they have been working together have not been very good at all. I agree. Whats the point of a 6'4 WR if you cant throw to him? And Kevin has been pretty good in the past with the draft, but Dawson was on the team before Kevin got here, and Hartings was just ok. We need a center or all this talent we have will be wasted. How hard is it to get 1 or 2 OL man? Every other team in the league except 2 or 3 seem to do just fine.

Steeler_Soldier
09-29-2008, 04:28 PM
If the Offensive line does not step up their game Ben is gonna be in a bad way and we might have better luck putting the starting line from Pitt out there for us. I as much as anyone would liek to see them play to their ability and be one of the most dominate lines in the league. Possibly some coaching issues. :helmet: :dunno:

:cope::helmet::cope:

Dean Denton
09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
If the Offensive line does not step up their game Ben is gonna be in a bad way and we might have better luck putting the starting line from Pitt out there for us. I as much as anyone would liek to see them play to their ability and be one of the most dominate lines in the league. Possibly some coaching issues. :helmet: :dunno:

:cope::helmet::cope:Well, Penn State would be my choice...lol

Iron City South
09-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Can I change my vote?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Im about to change mine too dude...trust me!! and may even add an option for..we ****in suck there's no way in hell our offense can do anything

SteelerFan87
09-29-2008, 10:32 PM
This is embarrassing. The AFC is right there for the taking, and our O-line can't block a single person.

I want:
Arians gone
Zerlein gone
Colbert gone
The whole line rebuilt

And Tomlin has to do something about this NOW or he should be fired too. None of this overlooking ineptitude and keeping coaches and players who have proven time after time that they are utter failures.

Is there ANYBODY out there we can sign? Or maybe trade for somebody? I'm willing to give up almost anything to get a couple decent O-linemen in here.

Captcoolhand
09-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Up to last night, my prediction was "the Steelers would be lucky if they win 7 games". Well after last night, I don't know if they could even do that. Jeff Reed and our DEF is what's winning games for us. Stop that and we don't have much of a chance. :2cents:

"Well Starks, Looks like you will be earning your paycheck from the field and not the bench". :stirpot:

steelersgal86
09-30-2008, 07:32 AM
I had to go with 50-50...some games we might get lucky and pull it off like lastnight...and others we wont :dunno: