PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall vs Ratbirds

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
He's getting his first introduction into the world of the Steelers vs Ratbirds on Monday night. Prime time and the kid has the chance to really show what he's got. Right now Felix Jones in Dallas is beginning to take carries away from Barber becuz he's doing so well. This is a great thing for the Cowboys and I'd love to see Mendenhall take this chance and really run with it. We need him big time because he's really all we have this week.

I'm excited to see him start but Im also nervous because of the OL doesn't block it's going to be a LONG night. You know the Rats will be looking to strip that ball anyway they can!

AZ_Steeler
09-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Link to story... (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08269/914878-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Mendenhall: 'I hear it's going to be a little different atmosphere here in Pittsburgh.

Thursday, September 25, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin comforts Rashard Mendenhall after he fumbled against the Vikings

Practice over, Rashard Mendenhall stood between two coaches on the field yesterday afternoon while most of his Steelers teammates departed. Mike Tomlin stood on one side; Kirby Wilson, who coaches the running backs, on the other.

They offered advice to Mendenhall about what to expect from the renowned Baltimore Ravens defense when he makes his first pro start Monday night at Heinz Field.

The rookie back has a lot to learn this week as he prepares to play not only the current top-ranked NFL defense, but one as aggressive as they come in the NFL with Hall of Fame linebacker in waiting Ray Lewis smack in the middle of it all.

So Tomlin and Wilson took that time yesterday with their rookie to go over defensive schemes, blitz responsibilities and the like?

"We told him all the nasty things that are going to be said to him Monday night by the Ravens," Wilson said, laughing. "We all wish we had a microphone to tape what's said to him because it's going to be hilarious."

No one does it better than Lewis.

"I told him," Wilson said, "be ready. No. 52? Professional trash talker.

"It's good natured. Those guys are competitors; they do the same to Willie Parker. It's just fun. I know they're going to get after him pretty good. It will be fun to hear some of the stories when they're done come Monday night."

Mendenhall must hope he can laugh along with his coach by then, because making your first NFL start is tough enough, doing it in the Monday night spotlight can add to the anxiety and running against Baltimore's defense makes it a triple play.

The rookie seems to have a good perspective, at the moment.

"It's great, it's exciting, to be at home and a night game. I hear it's going to be a little different atmosphere here in Pittsburgh."

His coaches and teammates say not to worry about those three lost fumbles by Mendenhall in the final two preseason games. But Lewis made sure he mentioned it yesterday in a conference call with the media here, adding that the Ravens would like to strip him of the ball on a few more occasions Monday night.

"It is not a secret," Lewis said. "He has fumbled the ball a couple of times so, if that would be our focus, I think that we would be approaching the game wrong if that was not our focus."

...Rest of story (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08269/914878-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Dean Denton
09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
He's getting his first introduction into the world of the Steelers vs Ratbirds on Monday night. Prime time and the kid has the chance to really show what he's got. Right now Felix Jones in Dallas is beginning to take carries away from Barber becuz he's doing so well. This is a great thing for the Cowboys and I'd love to see Mendenhall take this chance and really run with it. We need him big time because he's really all we have this week.

I'm excited to see him start but Im also nervous because of the OL doesn't block it's going to be a LONG night. You know the Rats will be looking to strip that ball anyway they can!
Funny, I feel the same way. Well, I'm not happy for anyone in Dallas, but I know what you mean. If you were to ask me a week ago, I think I would have said let the kid loose, share the load if we can. But now after watching the real Steeler O-line stands up my confidence is blown in that unit to protect anything. I fear for Ben, and his health, I really do. This is the best QB this team has had in 30 years or so, and I would hate to lose him because we failed to have the right people in place.

yinzer
09-25-2008, 08:49 PM
if mendy gets through the pre-game jitters and 1st quarter with no case of fumbleitis, he should gain that confidence and do great. let's just hope that the o line can at least hold up to give mendy some holes to run through. he's also great catching the rock and running. maybe airhead arians will use him that way this week. :2cents::crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2008, 08:56 PM
That's a good point, the first 10 carries or so for Mendenhall will be huge. If he can hang onto the ball and get into the flow of the game then he has a good chance to do well but if they get to him once and strip that ball we could be in trouble. It's time for him to earn that 1st round draft pick money.

ItsMillerTime83
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm very excited to see Rah-dog on monday. It's his chance to show if he has the stuff. The tackle me fumble me problem shouldn't be an issue:crossfingers:. I keep hearing about how tough the rats D is but i dont see anything special. This is why we drafted him instead of a o-lineman, he will go out and make a name for him-self.

$teeler$guy
09-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Cant wait to see the steelers spank the ravens

BlitzburghNation
09-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Cant wait to see the steelers spank the ravens

:ditto: Sucks I have to listen to it on sirius :cursin:

More worried about our o-line protecting Ben and Ben coming out of the game in one piece :pray:

Reall looking forward to our "D" welcoming Flaco to pittsburgh :lol:

Low Scoring Game:

Steelers 13
Rats 6

$teeler$guy
09-26-2008, 09:35 AM

More worried about our o-line protecting Ben and Ben coming out of the game in one piece :pray:

Low Scoring Game:

Steelers 13
Rats 6
Yea i hope to see the offense linemen improve since last week..Yea lamar woodley and the rest will welcome Flaco real good!

LatrobePA
09-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Here's what I think will happen Monday:

O-line will be OK this game, Ben will still get sacked a few times. 34 will have a tough night though. We still do enough to win.

I also feel we will make Flacco look like a champ first few drives, then shut him down with constant pressure and a clogged run game. They will score a few on us I think.

Troy will have a good game, 56 & 92 will be blocked well, but I still think we win the sack battle. Look for 50 & 94 to step in and have a huge game.

DIESELMAN
09-26-2008, 10:43 AM
MNF!!! Under the bright lights of primetime!!! Bring it on Ratbirds!!!!! Its going to be a tough, physical, bar room brawl!!!!! We need to make a statement in this game, I don't give a **** if we get flags thrown on us every play, we need to let the Ratbirds know who runs the AFC North!!!!!

ejsteeler
09-26-2008, 10:55 AM
The O-line had to eat some serious crow after their comments before the Wiggles game. I expect some anger from these guys this week, and they will need it. I think we get back on track in a serious way.......

Steelers - 28
Ratbirds -7

:markit: :steelersflag3:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
IMO, Mende would do very well if he just focuses on hitting the holes, holding onto the ball and looking to make a little contact when FINISHING his runs. If he finds success, moves the chains early (highly unlikely) and delivers a few hits at the end of runs... then he can look to start using some jukes and spins. The last thing he wants to do is shy away from contact early in this one cause Ray-Lew and the boys will be in that @ss!

LatrobePA
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
First 10 plays for any running back is to hit hit hit, then like you said work on your moves. Soften them up.

$teeler$guy
09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Soften them up then throw a bomb

LatrobePA
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Soften them up then throw a bomb

I'll go for that!! :tt02::greengrin::tt02:

Dean Denton
09-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I would have liked him to start against the Texans and not the Ravens, but whatever, it wont matter. I dont see him being any worse than Parker against these guys. Other than maybe putting the ball on the grass. The hits will be plenty, and this is a good game for him to get become battle tested. Dont be shocked if he pulls a Steamin Willie Beamin and pukes on the field from nerves.....lol

SteelfordWexler
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Arians said he wasn't going to change the offense due to Mendy being in there. Mistake. Of course, this may be coach speak to give away nothing to the Baltimore spies. They need to get him the ball in the flat- use his receiver skills to slow the pass rush and keep the chains moving.

I love this kid. I think he is a player and I think he is going to surprise the crows with his speed and power. He is a legit first rounder. That little run after the catch in the 4Q last week was what we need more of.

Dean Denton
09-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah I'm hoping that the Ravens dont think much of RM and focus on Ben to free him up.

BlitzburghNation
09-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Our Defense will win this game,,,,,,,,Don't think either team will have a running game !

One Thing I know for certain is -------> http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/smostle/smileys/ratbirdssuck.gif

$teeler$guy
09-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Yea this game will come down to the end.No blow out game here.

Dean Denton
09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
I would be shocked if RM rushed for over 50 yards in this game.

LatrobePA
09-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I would be shocked if RM rushed for over 50 yards in this game.

Ditto....I say 38-40 max.

But that might not matter if he has 3 TD's!!

Dean Denton
09-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Ditto....I say 38-40 max.

But that might not matter if he has 3 TD's!!
lol...if we score 3 TD's on this Def then I would be even more shocked. I'm not trying to sound like a negative crapper here, but after last week my feelings about this team and they way they are coached has been somewhat crushed. They are going to have to prove to me that they are the real deal, and that OL is going to have to figure it out. They are all we got for the rest of the season, and I worry it wont be enough. This game is huge and we will see where we fit in the division. We know its either #1 or #2. I am not so quick to say #1 right now. not with what I think is the worst OL in the history of this Franchise....sigh.....

Stlrs4Life
09-26-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm excited to see him start, but the OL worries me more.

Dean Denton
09-26-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm excited to see him start, but the OL worries me more.

I would be more excited if he got his first start against the Bungles or maybe....Well, the bungles. Everyone else we play this year has pretty good run Def. Except New England last week. Doubt that will last.

yinzer
09-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Low Scoring Game:

Steelers 13
Rats 6

www.dve.com is better. bill hillgrove is the man! :tt02:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Yea this game will come down to the end.No blow out game here.

let's just hope that if we have the lead near the end, we actually KEEP the lead and not blow it like we did 4 games last year!