PDA

View Full Version : Is Monday's game against the Ratbirds a MUST win?

Troyisabeast_43
09-24-2008, 06:58 PM
I personally think it is because it's a game that for all practical purposes should the Steelers win and get the edge in the head to head tiebraker over the Ravens they should be able to remain in control of the AFC North for the remainder of the season, especially with Baltimore's tough upcoming schedule playing 6 out of their next 8 games on the road. Let's face it we all know Baltimore is always a tough game and a big rival, but this is one of those games on the schedule when you looked at it you had it penciled in as a win.

The Steelers really cannot afford to lose this game and drop to 2-2 and put the Ravens at 3-0 with the head to head tiebraker edge in hand with a game at Jacksonville the following Sunday night on a short week. You gotta be able to take care of business and win your home games period, especially in the division. The Jags game like it or not is going to be a very tough game for the Steelers to win, and you just do not want to push your luck by laying an egg in this game Monday night. You then risk possibly being 2-3 going into the bye week with the real tough part of your schedule coming up starting with the Giants at the end of the month.

I know the Steelers have huge offensive line issues and the Ravens defense is pretty damn good and are going to blitz a lot. But still, with that being said in my opinion there will still be no excuse for losing to this Ravens team with a rookie QB coming in here facing this Steelers defense in his first NFL road game on a Monday night. A loss to Joe Flacco and the Ravens here at home on Monday night in my opinion would be a complete disaster, and could very well start a huge downward spiral for the Steelers should they somehow not win this game.

BLEIER20
09-24-2008, 07:05 PM
The Steelers NEED to go into the Bye Week at 4-1, no if, ands or buts!

This will give them another week to get everyone healthy!

Troyisabeast_43
09-24-2008, 07:25 PM
The Steelers NEED to go into the Bye Week at 4-1, no if, ands or buts!

This will give them another week to get everyone healthy!

I agree with you they do but it will not be easy doing so because assuming they beat the Ravens which I definitely think the Steelers will, they are going to have to go down to Jacksonville and beat the Jags something they never have an easy time doing to end up being 4-1 at the bye week. As I stated before though a win over Baltimore on Monday night here combined with the Ravens tough upcoming schedule, and the Browns and Bengals both being 0-3will for all practical purposes barring a complete and total collapse by the Steelers for the remainder of the season will put the Steelers in complete control of the AFC North for the rest of the year. I dont expect the Steelers to cruise to the division title, but I will say if you win this game on Monday night you pretty much win the division without a real threat of doubt creeping in at any point.

BLEIER20
09-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, vice versa too! In case of a loss to the Ravens, they will need a win over the Jags for sure! That way the Steelers are only one game behind them for the division reign! The next thing their eyes should be on would be the division title and first round Bye.

Get to say 7-1, 8-1 without a loss, and we'll be in control! Need to head into the last 3-4 games at say 10-2 give or take one! I'd like to see the boys go 13-3, 12-4! With the strength of this schedule it will be tough but they definitely have to stay focused throughout the entire season.

SteelerSteve
09-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Heres how I see it. The Steelers will either go out and show that the game against the Eagles was just a bad game on our O-lines part and give Ben all day and Pitt gets back on track with a good thorough rape of Baltimore Or they show that they are physically,mentally, and fundementally unable to compete against even an average defense and lose or barely scrape by while Ben gets knocked out of the game. I think that they could prove us all long because I believe that the Texans have one of the more talented lines in football, and if they could push around Mario Williams, then they should be able to at least do a decent job against anybody. I like to think optimistic so I'll go ahead and say that I expect them to surprise.:2cents::crossfingers:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, vice versa too! In case of a loss to the Ravens, they will need a win over the Jags for sure! That way the Steelers are only one game behind them for the division reign! The next thing their eyes should be on would be the division title and first round Bye.

Get to say 7-1, 8-1 without a loss, and we'll be in control! Need to head into the last 3-4 games at say 10-2 give or take one! I'd like to see the boys go 13-3, 12-4! With the strength of this schedule it will be tough but they definitely have to stay focused throughout the entire season. Hey at least you have some hope in the team. To be honest, if the line plays just average we could be 12-4 or 13-3. If not, we'll have a hard time reaching 8-8.

yinzer
09-24-2008, 07:40 PM

Get to say 7-1, 8-1 without a loss, and we'll be in control! Need to head into the last 3-4 games at say 10-2 give or take one! I'd like to see the boys go 13-3, 12-4! With the strength of this schedule it will be tough but they definitely have to stay focused throughout the entire season.

7-1/8-1?????? without an OC or O line?????????? let's worry about beating the raturds before we start talking about 8-1.

Troyisabeast_43
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM

The Steelers cannot lose this game to the Ravens period. I dont even want to think about the possibility of it even happening. As Ive stated, Ill be shocked if Flacco comes in here and is able to put points up on our defense on a Monday night in his first career start on the road in the NFL. The only way the Ravens win this game is if the defense scores for the Ravens. If Flacco had problems putting up points on Cincy and Cleveland's D without any crowd noise he is not going to be able to do it on the road against the Steelers defense. It's why I stress even more a loss to the Ravens at home with Flacco as the QB would be a complete and total disaster and it can really **** up the Steelers for the rest of the season.

Clevelandsux
09-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Any division game at home is a must win. Plus we have tougher foes coming up, so we don't need to fall behind the Ravens.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Considering we are in the AFCN which is really a poor division at this point. The ratbirds have had a cake schedule to this point, the browns & bengals haven't won a game yet. Is this an absolute must win game? no, however for this team to regain it's confidence, momentum, and overall stranglehold on the division yes it is.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-24-2008, 09:32 PM
We need this game because it's an divisonal game, but it wouldn't hurt 2 go into the bye week 4-1.

Stairwayto7
09-25-2008, 05:33 AM
A must win? No. But it is very important. It would be great, and we need some confidence, but 2-2 the wouldn`t be falling. I think the ratbirds suck, our defense might get a shut out. My only concerns are the o-line, because these cheap shots bastards are going to be coming. And us holding onto the football. I think our defense will e stellar this week, if Ben really needs a rest, already, then rest him some this week.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2008, 07:59 AM
This is when you need a Joey Porter to fire up the troops and stir the pot before gameday :lol: Really though this team ought to be pissed up, embarrassed, upset, and whatever else you want to call it so getting back on track against a hated foe like the ratbirds is just the ticket.

yinzer
09-25-2008, 08:44 AM
This is when you need a Joey Porter to fire up the troops and stir the pot before gameday :lol: Really though this team ought to be pissed up, embarrassed, upset, and whatever else you want to call it so getting back on track against a hated foe like the ratbirds is just the ticket.

TG, i agree with you, brother. we def should feel how you said we should feel. i just hope that our guys aren't just EXPECTING to rebound because we got manhandled last week. it was a reality check and it should be defcon 5 in that locker room all this week!

ejsteeler
09-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Yes, a must win no doubt about it. The lift it would give the ratbirds and the hole it would put us in would be difficult to say the least to claw out up from. A win here against this tough "D" would also give us the added up we need to go to the Jagoffs and win in their home with revenge as a motivator.

mental.apparition
09-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Isn't every game against the fu<kin' Ravens a must win? :firing:

ejsteeler
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Isn't every game against the fu<kin' Ravens a must win? :firing:

:rofl: how true.....

Dean Denton
09-25-2008, 01:39 PM
For us to win the next 2 games our Defense is going to need to score. I think our Def is bad ***, but they need to put points on the board. I'm sure every team in the league watched that breakdown against philly and know that they only need to blitz us to crush us. I'm not trying to be a negative nellly here, but we all saw it. Ben never had a chance to even get the ball out of the pocket. Now Parker is out, and Jiggleballs is going to get the nod. ewww. Againsts the Ravens I will be holding my breath everytime they give him the ball. I'm not in anyway giving up on the season, but we are pacing to shatter that sack total from last year, and maybe even double it. Not only that, I would be shocked if Ben finished the season the way he's getting slammed around. How long until one of these worthless o-lineman toss someone into Bens knee because they have no clue how to pass block.

Except for the Rams, its seems like every team in the league has a better O-line than us. Maybe the Lions are worse too, but I dont see how. They have not given up 9 sacks yet this year in one game. With the way we played last week would any of you really be shocked with 2-3 going into the bye week?

As fans why is it we see whats wrong with this team, and we have for a couple years now. Why can this not be fixed? Why is it that this team acts like it can be fixed with the players we have? These guys are really bad, and in no way able to compete against top DEF. I think we were exposed, and my heart is broken.

BlackGold4vr
09-25-2008, 01:50 PM
If we were 0-3 like the Shitstains or the Bungholio's I would say yes. Going 2-2 in September is hardly worth calling a crisis. Anybody that says otherwise needs to get a grip. :2cents:

Dean Denton
09-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Its not a must win, but we have won 13 straight at home on Monday night, and that is the longest win streak in the league. So yes, I would say its a must win for us. Last year was the first time we ever lost to the same team twice at home...Frigging Jags, and I would hate to have another streak come to an end. Yes, its a must win, but our season isn't over is we lose. Still, we need to win our home games against our division.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2008, 06:18 PM
The more I think about this game the more paramount it becomes IMO. Even though it's not like it would throw us out of the playoff race or anything, LOL...it is a divisional game and we need to win every single one of them because they are the first tiebreakers that come into play when the playoffs are on the line. Besides the fact that we have the "easiest" part of our schedule in the beginning so we need to win as many as possible and get some momentum while we also get healthy.

BlitzburghNation
09-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Any division game at home is a must win. Plus we have tougher foes coming up, so we don't need to fall behind the Ravens.

:ditto: :plus1:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-27-2008, 06:35 PM
I say beat the H.....E.....double...L out of them now,and come back the second game and give em some more!!!!!!!!!The offense must be what is expected of them.Less we can get that scoring defense fired up. I would love to see a punt or a field goal blocked too! When did that happen last? Anyone have the answer?

DanRooney
09-28-2008, 02:08 AM
Its not a must-win for the Steelers, but a must-win for the Ravens. If the Steelers lose, remember we're without Parker and Hampton. Plus, we're already 1-0 in the division. If the Ravens lose, they will already playing catchup with a rookie QB at the helm. Plus Reed and Scott will be haunted by Hines' grin every night until we play them again at the end of the year.

Clevelandsux
09-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Stella must get her grove back. We need to win this game. We have a tough game vs the Jags before the bye. This is a division game as well as a home game. We don't want to be 2-3 going into the bye. Plus, the meat of our schedule will be coming after the bye. The Ravens aren't that good. We must take care of them at home.

I think we'll rattle Joe Flacco and our defense will win it.

steelcityrockers
09-28-2008, 05:43 PM
If we were 0-3 like the shiatstains or the Bungholio's I would say yes. Going 2-2 in September is hardly worth calling a crisis. Anybody that says otherwise needs to get a grip. :2cents:

I agree. I still predict finishing 10-6. You cannot win them all. And it is so early that you could take a loss or two and still rebound to finish well.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2008, 07:38 PM
It's a must win only from the standpoint of if we can't beat a team like the Ravens with a rookie QB then we have some serious issues; even more so than we already have. This is a big test for the ratbirds, they haven't played anyone yet other than the happless browns or bengals so they will be up for this game..we'll need to come out and establish ourselves outta the gate and get up early.

Clevelandsux
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Then again we haven't beat anyone either. We beat the Clowns and Texans, but lost to the Eagles. I believe this game means more to us than last weeks game. it's a division game. I expect us to bounce back.

SteelerDan43
09-28-2008, 09:24 PM
It certainly is not a must win, I have no faith in anyone else in the division running away with anything... 9-7 could very well win the division. They just need to play within themselves, don't make a mountain out of a molehill just yet

Troyisabeast_43
09-28-2008, 09:44 PM
It certainly is not a must win, I have no faith in anyone else in the division running away with anything... 9-7 could very well win the division. They just need to play within themselves, don't make a mountain out of a molehill just yet

Yes it is a MUST win from where I sit because you dont want to lose a home game in the division with the only team that appears is going to be a threat to you in this division. You want to win this game, get the head to head tiebraker early on in the year against Baltimore, and not give them any kind of life at all to where they think they can win this division. Plus, dont forget the Steelers have to go play at Jacksonville on a short week next Sunday night in a place and against a team they cannot for some reason beat. So with all that being said right there it is a MUST win game and a loss to the Ravens tomorrow night at home to a rookie QB on a Monday night where you havent lost at home on a Monday night in 17 years would be a complete and total disaster.

SteelerDan43
09-29-2008, 05:00 PM
And the Ravens play the 4-0 Titans next week, They finish the season with Eagles Bengals Redskins Steelers Cowboys Jags. They are not running away with anything... They have only won 2 games! They had to take their bye early which doesn't help them from a health standpoint. They have a rookie QB who someone will come up with a blueprint to destroy. Its still not a must win, it just isn't. I refuse to subscribe to your alarmist talk...

Troyisabeast_43
09-29-2008, 05:41 PM
And the Ravens play the 4-0 Titans next week, They finish the season with Eagles Bengals Redskins Steelers Cowboys Jags. They are not running away with anything... They have only won 2 games! They had to take their bye early which doesn't help them from a health standpoint. They have a rookie QB who someone will come up with a blueprint to destroy. Its still not a must win, it just isn't. I refuse to subscribe to your alarmist talk...

If the Steelers lose tonight at home then it will tell me they are not a very good football team at all. The Ravens are one of the teams you see on this schedule that you need to win especially when you're playing them at home. I know their schedule is just as tough as ours but the point is you dont want to put yourself in an early hole 4 games into the season putting the Ravens at 3-0 and the Steelers at 2-2 already having lost the tiebraker to them once in your own home. I would rather get this division wrapped up early on in the season so that the Steelers can begin to focus on playoff positioning by mid-season, and getting the bye week and homefield advantage because that is what really matters in the end. The Steelers by beating Baltimore tonight can take a huge step toward doing just that. A loss tonight then you have to start questioning yourself about how good this team really is, and keeping an eye on the Ravens and what they do every single week. And you just don't want to start doing that.

SteelerDan43
09-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Losing a defensive game to the statistically number one defense wouldn't necessarily make me worry a ton, its a rivalry game in which no matter how good or bad the respective teams are anything is possible... sorry just don't see it chicken little

$teeler$guy
09-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Its not a must win if we do loss we will still be .500

Dean Denton
09-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes, its a must win. We need to start setting ourselves apart from our division. We need to win at home because we dont win in Baltimore all that much. We always spilt with them or lose twice. When was the last time we beat them twice in a season? And just because Johnny Falco is a rookie that doesn't mean they cant win. I seem to remember a team that did pretty good with a rookie QB.