PDA

View Full Version : Still Impressed with Tomlin?

SteelfordWexler
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Admittedly, Tomlin is an impressive personality. But he has yet demonstrate that he can get the potential out of his team.

He started out 7 and 2 last year. Since then he's gone 5 and 6 (including playoffs).

He has recorded wins against :
Cleveland (3x),
Buffalo (2007 version),
San Fran,
Seattle (best win?),
Cinci (2x),
Baltimore,
Miami (barely),
Houston and St. Louis.

How much would you pay to have that schedule?

If you add in the ugly losses to : Denver (2007 version), Arizona and the Jets - the on field product has not lived up to capabilities. Not even close.

I've been a supporter, but I'm losing faith quickly. I hope he changes my mind soon or this could be a long year.

AZ_Steeler
09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm still impressed with Tomlin... just wish he could get his team prepared for the road games! :cursin:

3-5 on the road last year (2007), and 1-1 this year so far...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Tomlin is learning how to call the shots and make the tough calls. He's going to make some mistakes just like Cowher did. He'll learn though. Im impressed with him in many aspects but we need to see him have this team prepared for the big games, unlike what we saw last year. He can't wait forever to try and fix the OL either, assuming it can be fixed at all at this point.

LatrobePA
09-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Still Impressed: NO

This would of been my opinion after a WIN, not just all of the sudden with one loss!!

BlackGold4vr
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Still impressed.

Not impressed with the offensive line. Some blame the coach, but I say you can't make filet mignon out of spam. We haven't drafted an O-lineman in the first round since Alan Faneca (1998). Joe Thomas made the pro-bowl last year in his first year. Jake Long is starting this year and playing well. I know that we didn't have a shot at either of these players but there are a lot others we did have chances to draft and we didn't. Here is a list I compiled with our starting O-line and the Dallas Cowboys O-line and where the starting players were drafted. I think the numbers will speak for themselves.

Willie Colon - 131
Kendal Simmons - 30
Justin Hartwig - 187
Chris Kemoeatu - 204
Marvel Smith - 38

Marc Colombo - 29
Leonard Davis - 2
Andrew Gurode - 37
Kyle Kosier - 248
Flozel Adams - 38

It is obvious which team puts more stock in their O-line. :yesnod:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm kind of in the middle on this one.I have to wait to see what he does next.Though i may not be impressed,i surely am not depressed. One game ,one loss. I will reserve my judgement till i am sure.:tt02:

MOTORKRAFT
09-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Coach Tomlin will only impress me when the Steelers win another Super Bowl. He and the Steelers f/o will continue to make me say why in the f#@k do we even draft players when we don't use them. Next year we should trade our #1 draft choice for the best L.T. we can get, trade our #2 for the best R.T., or center, or L.G, or what ever. At the least use the draft to make us better now not 2 years down the road. Coach Tomlin got a job that has very little turn over. He thinks he always has 2 years to get better. At his pace we will be like the Rams fans wondering W.T.F. happened.

LatrobePA
09-24-2008, 04:46 PM
At his pace we will be like the Rams fans wondering W.T.F. happened.

You hit the nail on the head brother!!

NCSteeler
09-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't know if Impressed is the word for it. I like Tomlin, but he inherited a talent laden team and did with it what most would expect.
I still like him, but his 1-6 road record outside of the division has got to get better. I think he is a great motivator and teacher, but I really think he needs to do better at game management.

Gotta really agree with this....

Originally Posted by MOTORKRAFT View Post
At his pace we will be like the Rams fans wondering W.T.F. happened.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Tomlin is still also putting his mark on this team, he had the luxury of inheriting a talented team as was previously mentioned but as we can see it's not a perfect team. Mainly the OL. Right now he's putting his stamp on this team along with Lebeau to make the defense as good as it can be. The ST will hopefully begin to improve. He's also shown that he's not afraid to make changes when they are warranted. This team will truly resemble what he wants when the OL is fixed and we can run any play in any situation and be assured that the line will hold up.

Stairwayto7
09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
So far, I`m fine with Tomlin, he is very young, and energetic. To some extent he is still learning, so I think he will be fine.

BLEIER20
09-24-2008, 07:43 PM
You know I have ONE thing to say about this thread. Yes we can sit back and play Armchair quarterback or Sofa Coach, but aren't we friggin all STEELER FANS here! That means we are with them WIN OR LOSE! You can sit and yell at the TV Monitor, throw popcorn, cuss out Ben for not passing, boo Mendenhal for fumbling, and all that little kid crap, but what does it solve? Not a damn thing! If there is anyone on this forum that even thinks they can play ball better than anyone on that roster, I say pad up and try out next year! Good Luck! Other wise, back the team with dignity, win or lose! 15-6 is not a bad loss, yes it's a loss but we as forum board fans, have no say so in what or how the Steelers play the game! Get over it! We take on the Ravens next week and this could very well possibly put us at 2-2! We know what has to be done, protection on Ben is how we'll beat the Ravens! Give him the time and the O-Line has to open holes and protect Mendenhall!

So let's leave the negativity out of it all and let's win some friggin games here! As I read this forum day in and day out, we have thread titles as such: "Hard Not to Be impressed...", "No love for Parker", "Steelers O-Line set up for Failure"......Damn, give them a break! What do we have here Fair Weather fans, you only talk good about the best team in NFL History when they WIN! Not everyone can WIN ALL the time! Someone has to Lose! Unfortunately, it happened to be us lst weekend!

So let's start gearing up for this week vs. the Ravens and put some POSITIVE Action on this forum please!

Troyisabeast_43
09-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm still impressed with Tomlin... just wish he could get his team prepared for the road games! :cursin:

3-5 on the road last year (2007), and 1-1 this year so far...

I agree AZ he has yet to have a big upset road win since being the head coach of this team. I still have questions about his ability to make this team go on the road and win big time games. I think it's imperative that Tomlin start winning some big road games here this season and it better start next week in Jacksonville. The way I see it the Steelers have 4 pretty tough road games left in Jacksonville,Washington,New England and Tennessee. Anything less then 2-2 in this stretch here will still tell me that Tomlin doesnt know how to win on the road yet in the NFL and that will be a huge huge concern of mine in regards to Tomlin until he figures out how to do so.

BLEIER20
09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Troy, we have Baltimore before the Jags. We have to get the confidence level back up and get Parker healthy on the road! This is a big Key! The O-Line has to be confident as well that they can take on all comers and give Ben or Byron the time to throw!

AZ_Steeler
09-24-2008, 07:52 PM
You know I have ONE thing to say about this thread. Yes we can sit back and play Armchair quarterback or Sofa Coach, but aren't we friggin all STEELER FANS here! That means we are with them WIN OR LOSE! You can sit and yell at the TV Monitor, throw popcorn, cuss out Ben for not passing, boo Mendenhal for fumbling, and all that little kid crap, but what does it solve? Not a damn thing! If there is anyone on this forum that even thinks they can play ball better than anyone on that roster, I say pad up and try out next year! Good Luck! Other wise, back the team with dignity, win or lose! 15-6 is not a bad loss, yes it's a loss but we as forum board fans, have no say so in what or how the Steelers play the game! Get over it! We take on the Ravens next week and this could very well possibly put us at 2-2! We know what has to be done, protection on Ben is how we'll beat the Ravens! Give him the time and the O-Line has to open holes and protect Mendenhall!

So let's leave the negativity out of it all and let's win some friggin games here! As I read this forum day in and day out, we have thread titles as such: "Hard Not to Be impressed...", "No love for Parker", "Steelers O-Line set up for Failure"......Damn, give them a break! What do we have here Fair Weather fans, you only talk good about the best team in NFL History when they WIN! Not everyone can WIN ALL the time! Someone has to Lose! Unfortunately, it happened to be us lst weekend!

So let's start gearing up for this week vs. the Ravens and put some POSITIVE Action on this forum please!

What he said! :yesnod:

:clap:

yinzer
09-24-2008, 08:52 PM

how we feel or what we post has no affect on the outcome. i will however rip arians, mendy, tomlin, the o line, and special teams a new one if they keep having fundamental breakdowns and playing like a 7th grade pee wee football team. I BLEED F****NG BLACK AND GOLD AND I TALK SHIAT WHEN THEY PLAY LIKE IT. watch who you're calling fair weathered.

Steelerlyn
09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
I am still waiting to be impressed...

TEEMONT
09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I am still waiting to be impressed...

I'm sure it's number one priority on his list.

Stairwayto7
09-24-2008, 09:32 PM

good points

Clevelandsux
09-24-2008, 09:58 PM
The verdict is still out for me. OK we went 10-6 last year and won the division. OK nice start. Let's see what happens this year. I noticed some bad decision making (especially last years playoff vs Jags).

I also don't like the fact that he has not addressed the o-line in the previous two drafts.

NCSteeler
09-25-2008, 05:43 AM
how we feel or what we post has no affect on the outcome. i will however rip arians, mendy, tomlin, the o line, and special teams a new one if they keep having fundamental breakdowns and playing like a 7th grade pee wee football team. I BLEED F****NG BLACK AND GOLD AND I TALK SHIAT WHEN THEY PLAY LIKE IT. watch who you're calling fair weathered.

What he said. I don't think being critical of the team when they are doing badly makes any of us fair weathered, just passionate.

BLEIER20
09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Yinzer,

No REAL Pitt Fan knocks what we have! We back them with positivity and hope! ......and next time don't repeat what I just said! So when we go 7-9 I suppose we won't see you any more right? Fair Weathered! One of the other cry babies huh?

SteelfordWexler
09-25-2008, 10:55 AM
What he said. I don't think being critical of the team when they are doing badly makes any of us fair weathered, just passionate.

I completely agree.
This is for entertainment purposes only. We are talking sports here - the whole point is that you can have opinions on what is going right or wrong and it really doesn't matter. We talk Steeler football - for fun - because we are fans. Biased, crazy, over emotional, quick to react, addicts who probably spend too much time thinking about our football team anyway.

If you think someone's opinion is not objective or you disagree - make your case - don't attack the author. I am absolutely sure, when the whistle blows and they kick off each weekend - 99% of us are glued to the action - geared up in our Kendal Simmons jerseys - with the Terrible Towel in it's position of honor over the TV - ignoring our families and living and dying with our team.

ejsteeler
09-25-2008, 10:58 AM
I completely agree.
This is for entertainment purposes only. We are talking sports here - the whole point is that you can have opinions on what is going right or wrong and it really doesn't matter. We talk Steeler football - for fun - because we are fans. Biased, crazy, over emotional, quick to react, addicts who probably spend too much time thinking about our football team anyway.

If you think someone's opinion is not objective or you disagree - make your case - don't attack the author. I am absolutely sure, when the whistle blows and they kick off each weekend - 99% of us are glued to the action - geared up in our Kendal Simmons jerseys - with the Terrible Towel in it's position of honor over the TV - ignoring our families and living and dying with our team.

:yellowthumb: :cope:

Dean Denton
09-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Did any of you see Inside the NFL? Collinsworth said that Ben needed to get the ball out alot faster, and they other knuckleheads agreed. I dont see this as the issue. Ben didn't even have time to spike the ball. let alone throw it away. Your thoughts..

yinzer
09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Yinzer,

No REAL Pitt Fan knocks what we have! We back them with positivity and hope! ......and next time don't repeat what I just said! So when we go 7-9 I suppose we won't see you any more right? Fair Weathered! One of the other cry babies huh?

listen, tony robbins, this is football, not ballet. positivity and hope??? there's a time and place for all that, but not after the debacle last week. i'm sorry if i hurt your wittle feewings with my big, bad, mean post but this is tough love for the guys. you can react however you want to a loss but i get fired up. if you don't like my posts, don't read them.

Ambridge
09-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking Tomlin is a big bag of Hot Air!!

When Bill Cowher took over after Chuck Noll it was easy to tell that he was going to be a special and successful coach pretty much from the get go.

Mike Tomlin talks a good game and is a good interview but so far all that he's shown is that he can beat up on inferior teams and that his coaching decisions go into vapor lock when it's time to make smart coaching decisions.

The fact that he retained all of last years coaching staff and has brought in some retreaded bums like Nick Eason and Mewelde Moore is enough for me.

Unfortunately the Rooneys will probably hang onto Tomlin until every Steeler fan in the world has gashed open a cut on their forehead from pounding it in the wall from many more lackluster coaching performances with Mike Tomlin at the helm.

Clevelandsux
09-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Basically one of those Holier than thou fans. Or self righteous steeler fan.
"You should be priveleged to be a Steelers fan".
"you're spoiled" etc.....
"When I was a kid the Steelers were 1-13, and cheered every play".
"I walked to school barefoot up hill both ways and was proud to do it".
"I never left the stadium, even when we were down 51-0".:nahnah:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
Hey I enjoy movies too. But, when one sucks I have every right to say it does.

Dean Denton
09-25-2008, 07:33 PM

What kind of Browns talk is that? We as fans have a right to bitch about the **** poor play by a unit that has been **** poor for the last 3 years. We are the ones that pay their checks, and build those stadiums for them to play in, so they dont have to go out and get really jobs. We as fans have earned the right to voice our opinion about the sloppy 2nd grade level of play in which this O-line continues to play with. Who is it that you thinks pays that big as salary Ben is getting? Its us, the fans. Also I will take any 4 other people on this forum and go try out for the Steelers O-line because there is no way in hell we would do worse than what we all saw in Philly. I know that there is no such thing as a fair weather Steeler fan, they dont exist.

Remember this Blier20, you dont choose your passions, they choose you, and every Steeler fan was chosen at birth. We never had a choice. This is what it is. Forums are for us to get this crap off our chest. Were pissed off and tired of getting laughed at by the rest of the league. We are the Big Bad Steelers, and no one pushes us around...ever. And Philly did on sunday. Dont get me wrong, there will always be loses, but that was really bad. We looked like a High school Offense playing in the pros...
Do I think of myself as a sofa coach? Hell yes, and a friggin good one too. I dont think anyone in the free world would tell me I'm full of poo, and dont know what I'm talking about when I say this O-line bites ***, and needs to be replaced.

Get over it, and get on board with your new family or drop the Blier20. Your runing the risk of not being worthy of the name.

Clevelandsux
09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Well said Dean. You know what ticks me off the most about our line being so poor. The rest of our team is so talented. Defense, skill positions etc. With Tom brady out, this team could go places. The only thing that will hold us back is that pathetic offensive line.

We all put our trust in the Steelers organization, coaches, scout, GM. They should know more than us, right? Who are they bullshiating? Anyone with half a brain or half eye sight can visably see how bad the offensive line is. And it's been bad since 2006.

NCSteeler
09-26-2008, 04:25 AM
Basically one of those Holier than thou fans. Or self righteous steeler fan.
"You should be priveleged to be a Steelers fan".
"you're spoiled" etc.....
"When I was a kid the Steelers were 1-13, and cheered every play".
"I walked to school barefoot up hill both ways and was proud to do it".
"I never left the stadium, even when we were down 51-0".:nahnah:

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Hey I enjoy movies too. But, when one sucks I have every right to say it does.

I recently came here from aplace that is full of those fans. I really tired of being told I was spoiled and a bad fan because I said something bad about a player/coach or the team. I'm not much of a rose colored glasses kind of guy.