PDA

View Full Version : Still not sold on Nate Washington...

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Nate Washington once again proving he is not a big time receiver in this league did it again on Sunday during the final minutes of the game when he had a ball go right through his hands in the end zone on a pretty decent pass from Leftwich, and then after that he made a catch by the sidelines and tried to get extra yardage instead of getting out of bounds and saving some clock and another timeout. Ill even go back to the Samuel INT when he was in double coverage if Nate is suppose to have these great hops and be a good basketball player like people say then he needs to at least knock that ball away from Samuel so it's not an interception. I still am not a fan of Nate Washington and he has been in the league and on this Steelers team too long now to be making stupid mistakes like that. Maybe it's just me but it just seems like bad things always seem to happen when the ball is thrown in his direction a lot of the time. He is just not that smart of a player when it comes to knowing game situations like a guys such as Hines,Holmes, and Heath Miller are.

It's very frustrating to not even had a sniff of Limas Sweed thus far these first 3 games of the season. I mean how bad can Sweed be to not even get a consideration into being dressed on gameday?? So far this guy is a complete bust in my view. I mean we barely know the guy exists now, let alone is still on the team. I'd even like to get Dallas Baker more involved in the passing game as well on 3rd down and even in some 3 wide looks. I'm just sick and tired of seeing Nate Washington drop balls and screw up in key situations late in games like he did on Sunday. He has done it way too much since he has been a Steeler going back to 2006 and it's inexcusable at this point in his career.

AZ_Steeler
09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
When the game is on the line and the ball goes in Washington's direction it turns out disastrous 80% of the time... either a dropped ball, letting an INT occur. But when nothing is on the line and he's just going out there to have fun and play football he's great!!! Only the true great ones though can perform under pressure and that's just not him.

Prosdo
09-23-2008, 06:08 PM
I really like Nate, but he hasn't been able to realize his full potential. He really needs to step up this season because I think this is probably his last chance.

Koopa
09-23-2008, 06:16 PM
nate should have been cut his rookie year, ppl are trying so hard to make him the willie parker of wrs, the dude is a ****ing bum and has ZERO potential.......he is who he is, and that's a practice squad player at best

Clevelandsux
09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Nate like Cedrick Wilson were good in '05. I think Nates time is up.

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I agree with everything everybody says on Nate, but getting back to Limas Sweed I think at some point here the Steelers need to dress him and get him into the 4 wide lineup at the very least on 3rd down situations. I mean let's face facts here you drafted Limas Sweed 2nd overall in this years draft for this team to have as many problems as it has on the offensive line, and for them to pass on a lineman and take Limas Sweed as the 2nd pick in the draft, and for him to not even have dressed once in the first 3 games thus far I think is a huge huge problem. Kevin Colbert just cannot afford to make these kinds of mistakes while drafting players this high when this team is in desperate need of offensive line help. Like I said how much worse can Sweed be then Nate Washington or Dallas Baker at this point in terms of helping the passing game out and giving the Steelers another weapon for defenses to worry about?? Sooner or later you gotta at least dress Sweed and get him in there and find out a little bit about him. He isnt going to get better just by practicing on the South Side all week. He needs to get in live game action to see what he really can do in big time situations.

The point as I said before you cannot draft a guy like Sweed 2nd like Colbert and Tomlin did in this draft and not even attempt to dress him at all with as many problems as this team has on the offensive line where that pick could have been used to take a lineman. It's a poor poor reflection on Colbert and he should be held accountable for it period.

jpele
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm all for seeing what Dallas Baker has to offer, how bad can he be ?

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
I know we are all venting,but i also noticed that most of the venting is going to the offensive side of the ball.The work is not done on that aspect of the game. We all have proof of that. It is somewhat well deserved.I think that the demolition that took place in Philly could be a step in the right direction for this whole offense ,from the coaching all the way down to the players. The blame; i think must filter down from the top ,down to the line coach, offensive co-ordinator ,and the players too. I like it though.They will no doubt face this crap again, It's almost forcing them to face the issues,and i have no question they will solve it . I do agree over-all that out of the 53 men, the correct ones were not dressed for that particular game. I think even more ,our offensive game plan was to establish the run. Philly stacked the box big time,and found they could not only stop the run, but pressure the q-b at the same time. We did not adjust properly, even though we may have adjusted.....I could not clearly pick out the said adjustments.At least we will get a chance to see what Rushhard can do on Monday night. Might just change the whole complexion of the game. No matter what i am in it for the long haul , and it is early! GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Nate did make some plays vs the Eagles, he was pretty much the offensive highlight other than Heath. The dude is just so inconsistent it's not even funny. Maybe this past week jumpstarts his season for us, maybe not. Get Baker some more looks and for God sake let's atleast get Sweed on the field alternating weeks with Baker!

Steelers70
09-23-2008, 07:26 PM
When Nate is playing good... He's playing very good. When he's not... May as well throw the ball away. This isn't a receiver I'd put a lot of responsibility on if I were the coach. But until Sweed can show that he's better than Nate then I don't see him moving up. We may need to bring in another receiver as much as I hate to do that at this point in our cap. Sweed didn't look too good in Practices and Preseason games. But I'd still like to see him brought in during times when we're ahead so he can get the reps. As for Nate. I'd tell him to get his act together or he'll be traded to the raiders for their waterboy.

-Steelers70

steelcityrockers
09-23-2008, 10:05 PM
nate should have been cut his rookie year, ppl are trying so hard to make him the willie parker of wrs, the dude is a ****ing bum and has ZERO potential.......he is who he is, and that's a practice squad player at best

He actually has loads of potential. Nate was cut his rookie year at multiple points. He was in and out of the practice squad. On the actie roster for, like, 3 games. Including the AFC championship game where he caught a crucial pass. And if he was a practice squad player at best, why isn't he on the practice squad? It isn't like Tomlin brought him into the league or anything. Nate is the teams best deep threat. Yes, more so than Holmes. He is the teams fastest player, can jump, and has above-average height. His route running has improved quite a bit since he entered the league. His hands are still a bit questionable. Nate is a solid back up receiver with the potential to be an adequate #2 should he realize it.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I hate to say it ,but Nate has to make those kind of catches.He is in the starting line- Up. I think if Tomin is right...........your gonna leave here a hurtin. They did a pretty fine job on defense. We will be fine!!!! Tomlin likes a scoring defense. They have not done that yet. I know that Dick L. likes it too!
Being a combination of two defensive minds, could they not make the corrections that were needed? It all ,still goes back to offense.

Grant37
09-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Amen. I cringe everytime the ball is thrown his way. One thing though has anyone else noticed the drops Hines Ward has been having? Drops drops drops all over the place. Holddd on to the football guys.

DanRooney
09-24-2008, 05:05 AM
He actually has loads of potential. Nate was cut his rookie year at multiple points. He was in and out of the practice squad. On the actie roster for, like, 3 games. Including the AFC championship game where he caught a crucial pass. And if he was a practice squad player at best, why isn't he on the practice squad? It isn't like Tomlin brought him into the league or anything. Nate is the teams best deep threat. Yes, more so than Holmes. He is the teams fastest player, can jump, and has above-average height. His route running has improved quite a bit since he entered the league. His hands are still a bit questionable. Nate is a solid back up receiver with the potential to be an adequate #2 should he realize it.

:lol:

:willybs:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Nate is the fastest guy on the team and he has so much potential but he reminds me a lot of Dwight Stone...dude could run like hell and made the circus catches but could never be a complete WR and make the easy ones that you need to move the chains.

SteelerDan43
09-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Since I'm a stat guy here is Nate's telling stat, direct from the Pro Football Prospectus... Worst catch percentage in the league for receivers with a DVOA in excess of 20%. Basically that means that of all guys who are 20% better than the league average receiver he was the worst at catching the ball. Note catch percentage is percentage of passes intended which were caught. For comparison Ward had a 64% C%

ItsMillerTime83
09-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Its time to move Baker and Sweed forward. I really think Sweed could break through as our #2 WR. He's got the speed give him a chance. With the bye coming give him a chance early and if he's a down the field threat like they thought, it will keep the safteys from Brian Dawkinsing Ben!

Troyisabeast_43
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Its time to move Baker and Sweed forward. I really think Sweed could break through as our #2 WR. He's got the speed give him a chance. With the bye coming give him a chance early and if he's a down the field threat like they thought, it will keep the safteys from Brian Dawkinsing Ben!

I agree at some point as I mentioned before in this post Tomlin needs to at the very least make Sweed active and the 4th wideout so he can at the very least get in there and get his feet wet. You drafted this guy 2nd in your draft ahead of a lot of other players and you just cannot afford to keep having him inactive week after week. He is not going to get any better or get any experience practicing on the South Side. He needs to be playing and he better be playing and active on the roster here within the next month or so.

steelcityrockers
09-25-2008, 11:40 PM

:willybs:

Tall
Can Jump
Really fast

That is my definition of deep threat...

WindyCityShaker
12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I haven't been around to do any posting since I first signed up but had some time today to come and snoop around. I was wondering have any of the opinions of Nate changed since that opening month of the season? I myself think Nate has been huge at times during this season, and at times lately even find myself hoping they call his number in the huddle, even in crucial situations, as he is usually open.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
12-29-2008, 02:08 PM
I haven't been around to do any posting since I first signed up but had some time today to come and snoop around. I was wondering have any of the opinions of Nate changed since that opening month of the season? I myself think Nate has been huge at times during this season, and at times lately even find myself hoping they call his number in the huddle, even in crucial situations, as he is usually open.

as a whole i think everyones opinions are the same...no one ever questioned his speed or ability to stretch the field..it's the crucial drive killing dropped pass and inconsistancy that is his downfall.He's capable of big plays and has shown that this year more than ever, which to me makes him no more than a great #3 Wr on a team..like i said on another post i'd love to keep him at a bargain price,he's a great compliment to Hines and Tone. His numbers would actually have even been better if Big Ben's shoulder was 100% and could have gotten those underthrown deep balls down the field.