PDA

View Full Version : Despite loss, Steelers best in division

Clevelandsux
09-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Despite loss, Steelers best in division
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers are going to win the AFC North Division. Let's get that straight right at the top. As badly as they played in Philadelphia Sunday, they still are better than Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati. They will prove that again Monday night when they smack down the Ravens at Heinz Field.

I'm thinking something along the lines of 35-10.

Seriously.

Hold the e-mails. I know how awful the Steelers' offense was in the 15-6 loss to the Eagles. They couldn't protect Ben Roethlisberger, who was brutalized by eight of Philadelphia's nine sacks. Willie Parker didn't get nearly enough carries and had nowhere to tote the pig when they did hand it to him. Mike Tomlin and his offensive coaches have never had a worse day. They seemed surprised by the Eagles' relentless blitzing and had no answers to counter it.

But, sorry, I don't buy that the season is doomed. I tend to agree with Roethlisberger's main point after the Philadelphia fiasco: "[The other guys] get paid, too." Stuff happens. In the NFL, games like this are going to happen.

Miami 38, New England 13.

The players understand. That's why it was business as usual at Steelers headquarters yesterday after the team gathered to relive their Sunday nightmare. They took their scolding from Tomlin -- if there were any justice in the world, Dan Rooney would have called the coach into his office and yelled at him -- and moved on. They always get over the ugly losses a lot quicker than the fans do.

The players would be idiots to take any other approach.

It's not as if this was the first time the Steelers took a physical beating. It wasn't even two years ago that they went to Baltimore and were spanked, 27-0, on a day when Roethlisberger was sacked nine times, once so hard by linebacker Bart Scott that Scott bragged afterward about feeling the air rush out of Big Ben's body.

A guess:

You said the same things the Monday after that game that you are saying this week.

Roethlisberger won't survive the season ...

The offense won't score again ...

The Steelers won't win another game ...

Easy.

The Steelers followed that '06 debacle in Baltimore by averaging 28 points in consecutive wins against Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Carolina. They lost to Baltimore again the next week and missed the playoffs, but that was more because they started 2-6 when Roethlisberger struggled to get going after his motorcycle accident and his emergency appendectomy.

The Ravens were better than the Steelers that season.

They are not better now.

The Ravens, at 2-0, are in first place in the division after beating Cincinnati and Cleveland at home, but that's not going to last. They'll play their first road game at Heinz Field. More significantly, rookie quarterback Joe Flacco -- a former Pitt kid -- will play his first road game against a tough, sophisticated, well-coached defense.

Good luck with that.

The Steelers' defense is playing very well, although Casey Hampton's groin injury, on top of Brett Keisel's calf injury, is troubling. Still, that defense held an Eagles offense that had been averaging 429.5 yards and 37.5 points to 260 yards and one legitimate scoring drive. Safety Troy Polamalu has answered the one big question about the defense coming into the season. He's healthy again and all the way back to his All-Pro form.

Assuming Tomlin and his offensive coaches are able to do this week what they couldn't do Sunday -- figure out how to beat a blitz -- Flacco is going to have a much rougher Monday night than Roethlisberger.

As for the rest of the division ...

Let's be real.

There is no rest of the division.

The Browns and Bengals are 0-3. The Browns have major quarterback issues with Derek Anderson and have scored just two touchdowns. The Bengals -- never known for their heart in the rare good times that their Pirates-like franchise has known -- figure to fold after taking their best shot against the New York Giants Sunday and still losing in overtime.

The bottom line with the AFC North?

The Steelers' problems -- though significant -- are nothing compared to the Ravens', Browns' and the Bengals' troubles.

Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com.
First published on September 23, 2008 at 12:00 am

yinzer
09-23-2008, 08:15 AM
ya, i read that article this morning. whatever. it doesn't make me feel any better than we're in a division with the 3 worst football teams in the league. IF, AND THAT'S A BIG IF, we go to the playoffs, how far do you think we're actually gonna go. mike tomlin said he has no intentions of making any "knee-jerking" moves this week because of what happened on sunday. so, that means he's gonna keep the same 5 shiat bags on the o-line until ben's a quadrapalegic. i think the media is missing the point with all of this. IN MY HONEST OPINION, I THINK STILLER NATION IS NOT MAD AT A LOSS BUT PISSED AND IRRITATED THAT BEN IS NOT SAFE. the media is making this about a loss and telling the fans not to worry, we're still gonna be division champs... blah blah blah. that's all assuming ben stays healthy which he is NOT right now. DAMN IT!

floodcitygirl
09-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Eh.....it may be blowing sunshine but I appreciate hearing it at this point anyway. lol

ejsteeler
09-23-2008, 09:29 AM
dam yinzer, chill out, it was one game. Let's see what happens. You must be a wagon fan to give up so easily.....:lol:

yinzer
09-23-2008, 09:33 AM
dam yinzer, chill out, it was one game. Let's see what happens. You must be a wagon fan to give up so easily.....:lol:

nah, i'm black and gold, through and through. these things just stay with me a little longer i guess. :greengrin:

JoeThomas
09-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I think its a dissapointment all around. Everyone had high hopes for the Browns but our youth is showing its inexperiance. Our only real vets: Winslow(not being used), Edwards(case of the dropsies) and Lewis arent coming thru. Lewis is tough to judge cause the O line has been hurt and has not played together yet. Anderson just doesnt look right out there. Like he is forcing things. Its just tough. I had really high hopes for a good tough season with both of our teams coming down to the end with that last game of the year as the make or break it game. Its just more fun that way. Watch out for the Ravens. Once they get momentum and the Defense gets control, they are very tough to slow down.

ejsteeler
09-23-2008, 10:03 AM
nah, i'm black and gold, through and through. these things just stay with me a little longer i guess. :greengrin:
:yellowthumb: I hear ya. It was definitely a tough one to swallow.

I think its a dissapointment all around. Everyone had high hopes for the Browns but our youth is showing its inexperiance. Our only real vets: Winslow(not being used), Edwards(case of the dropsies) and Lewis arent coming thru. Lewis is tough to judge cause the O line has been hurt and has not played together yet. Anderson just doesnt look right out there. Like he is forcing things. Its just tough. I had really high hopes for a good tough season with both of our teams coming down to the end with that last game of the year as the make or break it game. Its just more fun that way. Watch out for the Ravens. Once they get momentum and the Defense gets control, they are very tough to slow down.

Yeah, for all the clown bashing, I can honestly say I didn't expect them to look this bad. Better them than us though....:lol:

JoeThomas
09-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah, for all the clown bashing, I can honestly say I didn't expect them to look this bad. Better them than us though....:lol:[/QUOTE]

I agree. I dont think anyone did. I know our hopes were to come thru the first 3 weeks at 2-1. at worst 1-2. was a tough start. But so did you guys. Injuries are part of it but there really isnt much excuse for poor time management and under utilizing your best players. If we lose this week, and I have resisted the urge to say it, Crennel should be fired. Maybe it isnt him, but his coaches are causing the wrong guys to be on the field.

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah, for all the clown bashing, I can honestly say I didn't expect them to look this bad. Better them than us though....:lol:

I agree. I dont think anyone did. I know our hopes were to come thru the first 3 weeks at 2-1. at worst 1-2. was a tough start. But so did you guys. Injuries are part of it but there really isnt much excuse for poor time management and under utilizing your best players. If we lose this week, and I have resisted the urge to say it, Crennel should be fired. Maybe it isnt him, but his coaches are causing the wrong guys to be on the field.

Honestly I didn't think the Browns were going to play that bad either. I thought they would be one of our toughest competitors along with Jacksonville.
Lots of surprises in the NFL right now...I do have to say that Crennell says some weird stuff to the media. He's not right in the head but I guess he just signed a new contract right? So I think he's stuck with you guys.

JoeThomas
09-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Honestly I didn't think the Browns were going to play that bad either. I thought they would be one of our toughest competitors along with Jacksonville.
Lots of surprises in the NFL right now...I do have to say that Crennell says some weird stuff to the media. He's not right in the head but I guess he just signed a new contract right? So I think he's stuck with you guys.

its always easier to get rid of the coach then the players. they might want too give the OC a chance to see if he can lead. but it shows we need a guy here that has run a team before. enough with these OC and DC's and potential. Looks like Cowher will have his pick in the offseason haha.

Clevelandsux
09-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Cowher coming to Cleveland. Tired of hearing it. I don't think Cowher wants to coach. I really think he just wants to do CBS. Why would he have left Pittsburgh then? He had it made.

SAVE ROMEO!!!!!:plus1:

JoeThomas
09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Cowher coming to Cleveland. Tired of hearing it. I don't think Cowher wants to coach. I really think he just wants to do CBS. Why would he have left Pittsburgh then? He had it made.

SAVE ROMEO!!!!!:plus1:

im not saying here. im saying in general. i think he will coach again. whoever gives him close to 10 mil.

Clevelandsux
09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Actually I too am surprised the Browns look so bad, especially offensively. The just look so out of sync. I thought there expectations were a little too high, but I didn't think they would look this lackluster so far.

However they have been descimated with injuries.

yinzer
09-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Actually I too am surprised the Browns look so bad, especially offensively. The just look so out of sync. I thought there expectations were a little too high, but I didn't think they would look this lackluster so far.

DA needs to be benched.

JoeThomas
09-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Our defense, other then the cowboys game has looked pretty solid. its the opposite of what we all thought. it stinks. and is kind of confusing.

DA needs to be benched.

well it could be coming. everyone is saying that they think quinn is a bad quarter away from being brought in and if we dont win this week, it might be a definite thing for the giants game.

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Our defense, other then the cowboys game has looked pretty solid. its the opposite of what we all thought. it stinks. and is kind of confusing.

well it could be coming. everyone is saying that they think quinn is a bad quarter away from being brought in and if we dont win this week, it might be a definite thing for the giants game.

I don't think Brady Quinn is the answer either. Can you imagine the pressure Quinn is going to feel if he starts? I think he really wants to play bad and I"m sure will he will play his best but I don't think Quinn is the answer to a winning season for the Browns. I"m sure the injuries have something to do with it but again you need to have backup that can step up so you can't blame it entirely on injuries. We have lots of guys who step up each week when we need them.

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Ron Cook for once hit the nail right on the head with his column today and I have been saying the exact same thing as well here. The Steelers as long as they take care of business here Monday night at home against Baltimore which they will do, the division is as good as their's for the remainder of the season. The loss to the Eagles was a bad game no doubt and the Steelers definitely do need to play a lot better, but once again it's an NFC loss and it wont count against us for any tiebrakers down the line when they matter against teams in the AFC later in the season in November and December. The Steelers will be fine and they are going to be right there in the thick of things in terms of having a legit chance to get a bye week and homefield advantage when all is said and done by the end of the season.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-23-2008, 04:22 PM

So from a Browns fan point of view...Does this make DA an official one-hit wonder?..I mean how do you go from the Pro-Bowl to the toilet bowl in less than a year? Just wondering.:scratch:

SteelerSteve
09-23-2008, 04:47 PM

I agree. I dont think anyone did. I know our hopes were to come thru the first 3 weeks at 2-1. at worst 1-2. was a tough start. But so did you guys. Injuries are part of it but there really isnt much excuse for poor time management and under utilizing your best players. If we lose this week, and I have resisted the urge to say it, Crennel should be fired. Maybe it isnt him, but his coaches are causing the wrong guys to be on the field.[/QUOTE] Called it:yesnod:

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2008, 04:57 PM

If the Browns dont win this week and drop to 0-4 and 0-3 in the division it doesnt matter who starts the Giants game after the bye week because the Browns season is over. You can't start 0-4 in the NFL today and expect to recover from that and make a run at the playoffs it just wont happen. Quinn probably will start against the Giants should the Browns lose to the Bengals on Sunday and fall to 0-4, but by then it will be too little too late.

Grant37
09-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I'll call it right now our defense is going to pitch a shutout. No TDs for the dirty birds on Monday!

steel-tex
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
man i hope ur right at least we know our kicker has some range so 6 nothin would be fine with me !!!!!