PDA

View Full Version : Parker and Hampton both lost for Monday Night

DBR96A
09-23-2008, 03:52 AM
Well, we've already lost control of the line of scrimmage on one side of the ball, so why not both (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_589429.html) sides?

ToothAche
09-23-2008, 07:23 AM
great...........

JensK
09-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Well, its not THAT big of a loose. Hoke is a beast!

jpele
09-23-2008, 08:02 AM
This is not good,but onthe other hand, we've never lost a game Hoke started. :greengrin:

steelcityrockers
09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Hoke really is pretty good. Much more athletic than Hampton.

yinzer
09-23-2008, 09:11 AM
these injuries like hammies and groins are nagging. gotta nip them in the bud quick! we can't afford to lose hamptom for any extended amount of time. with the way the o line is playing, we can't have a defensive breakdown too.

AZ_Steeler
09-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Hammies are also the most least likely for a doc to diagnose because your can't see anything on an x-ray or MRI so one needs to take the persons word for it that his hammie hurts... Maybe if he dropped a few more pounds he wouldn't be in this predicament... if his hammie even bothers him :dunno:

LatrobePA
09-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Imagine being the doctor that has to check is hammie, man I'd rather rub my hands around a rattle snake!!

yinzer
09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
things just keep getting worse!!! willie will not play monday night due to a sprained knee suffered in sunday's loss to philly!!!!!!!!!:cursin:

www.kdka.com (http://kdka.com/steelers/Willie.Parker.Tomlin.2.823541.html)

AZ_Steeler
09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Looks like we'll get a glimpse of the future:

Rookie first round pick Rashard Mendenhall will start in Parker's place.

:cope:

It's not really a bad thing, we haven't really got to see much of him yet this year and now he's being forced into the role!

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Yep just heard that too. I think Mendenhall will do fine, he just needs to hold onto the ball. One thing I think we need to do is pressure...pressure Falcco!

LatrobePA
09-23-2008, 12:42 PM
No biggie here, it might actually help! Rats have Willies number, they have for years. Now let them game plan against #34!!

yinzer
09-23-2008, 12:43 PM
maybe this will make arians alter his game plan and use mendy the way he should be used.

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2008, 12:44 PM
No biggie here, it might actually help! Rats have Willies number, they have for years. Now let them game plan against #34!!

Exactly! :yellowthumb: They won't know what to expect from Mendenhall!

AZ_Steeler
09-23-2008, 12:45 PM
maybe this will make arians alter his game plan and use mendy the way he should be used.

Or maybe he's shitting a big brick now and is going to have Ben "try" and throw the ball every play!

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Imagine being the doctor that has to check is hammie, man I'd rather rub my hands around a rattle snake!!

Uhh Ewww! :eek1:

I"m happy to see Hoke coming in...He'll be impressive!

BlackGold4vr
09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Looks like we could be missing Gary Russell after all. Should Rashard have problems hanging onto the ball this week who will we turn to? Mewelde Moore? Carey Davis? I liked Gary Russell and was impressed with what little we got to see of him. Maybe they will bring him back. :crossfingers:

LatrobePA
09-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Or maybe he's shiatting a big brick now and is going to have Ben "try" and throw the ball every play!

LOL, he'll prolly just use the same script from this past Sunday, hell why not it worked great!! j/k

Dead horse beatin by me for the third time today, I have to stop!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like we could be missing Gary Russell after all. Should Rashard have problems hanging onto the ball this week who will we turn to? Mewelde Moore? Carey Davis? I liked Gary Russell and was impressed with what little we got to see of him. Maybe they will bring him back. :crossfingers:

The way I heard it Russell will be back in the saddle come Monday.

yinzer
09-23-2008, 12:57 PM

i think i saw the ghost of verron haynes walking on the sahside yesterday. maybe he can play!! :hilarious:

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Russell is on the practice squad and MAY be brought up..that's what Tomlin said in his news conference today. :crossfingers:

Clevelandsux
09-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Parker one of three starters to miss Ravens game
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers will be without the services of running back Willie Parker this week as he is sidelined with a sprained left knee.

Parker is one of three starters who will miss Monday night’s game against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field along with nose tackle Casey Hampton with a groin strain and defensive end Brett Keisel with a calf strain. All three players are considered week-to-week.

Parker suffered the knee injury in the Steelers 15-6 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

“He came out (of the game) and we knew he was uncomfortable,” said head coach Mike Tomlin. “We didn’t get the information until (Monday) when we were able to run some tests.”

Parker rushed for 138 yards in the first week of the season against the Houston Texans and followed that with a 105 yard performance against the Cleveland Browns. Parker had only 20 yards against the Eagles as the Steelers offense never got clicking.

Rookie Rashard Mendenhall will get his first NFL start filling in for Parker. Mendenhall had one carry for 10 yards against the Texans but didn’t have any carries the last two games.

“Rashard is ready,” said Tomlin. “He is a talented guy. He has been practicing well. He gets his opportunity and that is what team football is about. You look at his peers around the league and they’ve been getting opportunities, partly because they don’t have Willie Parker playing in front of them. He gets his opportunity. I am sure he is excited about it. I know our team is excited to see what he is capable of doing. What better way to start than on Monday Night Football against the Baltimore Ravens.”

Mendenhall will get some help in the backfield from Mewelde Moore and fullback Carey Davis, but he will be the primary weapon in the ground game.

Chris Hoke will start for Casey Hampton at nose tackle and Travis Kirschke, who is likely to start again this week for Keisel at defensive end, will serve as Hoke’s primary back-up.

Rookie linebacker Donovan Woods (hamstring) also is ruled out for the game. The Steelers activated linebacker Patrick Bailey prior to the Eagles game to help fill that void on special teams.

“We have some other bumps and bruises that may limit some people early in the week,” said Tomlin. “Other than those people we are a healthy football team.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not appear on the injury list and isn’t expected to be limited in practice.

“I don’t think he will be limited at all,” said Tomlin. “We’ll see how he feels when he comes in on (Wednesday). He has some bumps and bruises. We don’t think it will limit him in terms of practice.”

Cornerback Deshea Townsend, who missed the last two games with a heel injury, is expected to run on Wednesday, but it isn’t sure when he will return to practice. Bryant McFadden has started for Townsend the last two games.

ejsteeler
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Yep just heard that too. I think Mendenhall will do fine, he just needs to hold onto the ball. One thing I think we need to do is pressure...pressure Falcco!

:lol: Falcco? this isn't the replacements....:lol: though it may look that way right now....:evilshake:

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2008, 01:29 PM
:lol: Falcco? this isn't the replacements....:lol: though it may look that way right now....:evilshake:

hahahaha! I love that movie!! He is NO Shane Falco baby!!! :yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
09-23-2008, 01:31 PM
hahahaha! I love that movie!! He is NO Shane Falco baby!!! :yellowthumb:

He has no heart......

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Better for Willie to stay out now and get better than to see it get worse heading into our tough stretch later next months. Im excited to see Mendenhall get carries.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I saw the play Casey hurt it on, as soon as felt it happen he immediately grabbed for his inner thigh, I was like oh man this is not good.

Hoke is a beast though but we need to get healthy on the DL, any more injuries and we'll be in trouble.

TampaSteelGirl
09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
He has no heart......

:hilarious::hilarious:

sorry I mean to say Flacco...:greengrin:

Prosdo
09-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm more concerned about Hampton and Kiesel not playing. This is Mendenhall's chance to show us what he's got.

K Train
09-23-2008, 03:19 PM
this isnt really a bad thing...mendenhall is getting his chance so lets see what he does with it....he'll be fine, willie cant run on the ravens anyway

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Yea, can't wait to see this kid for a whole game..hope he has cured his case of fumble-itis. He better be holdin that ball like it's a loaf of bread and he's running thru Ethiopia. The Ravens will be looking to strip him every chance they get.

DBR96A
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Rashard Mendenhall was not a first-round pick for nothing.

LatrobePA
09-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Very true, this is why we drafted him and not linemen!! Bring it 34!!

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Better for Willie to stay out now and get better than to see it get worse heading into our tough stretch later next months. Im excited to see Mendenhall get carries.

I agree TG keep him healthy and ready to go for the tough stretch starting at the end of October when the Giants come to Heinz Field. Up until then the Steelers play the Jags then have the bye week which will definitely help Willie heal some more, and then come back after the bye week and play at Cincy. I expect Willie to sit out the Jags game as well seeing that the bye week is the following week. That will give him a full month almost to heal up and he should be good and ready to go for the Cincy game after the bye week on October 19th.

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2008, 04:18 PM
I saw the play Casey hurt it on, as soon as felt it happen he immediately grabbed for his inner thigh, I was like oh man this is not good.

Hoke is a beast though but we need to get healthy on the DL, any more injuries and we'll be in trouble.

Id rather lose anybody on the d-line to injury over Aaron Smith. He is the glue that holds that d-line together especially when it comes to stopping the run. You saw how the run defense went to hell once he went down late last season. As long as he is in there the defense against the run shouldnt have any setbacks at all. Hoke has a solid contributor on this team for years and if you remember he started for Casey Hampton who got hurt pretty much the entire season in 2004 when the Steelers went 15-1 and went to the AFC Championship. Having Hoke,Smith,and Kirschke starting isnt as bad as people are going to make it out to be. They will play well and the defense shouldnt miss a beat. You gotta believe that Dick Lebeau right now is licking his chops about facing Joe Flacco in his first road game as a starter in the NFL on Monday night football. I expect the Steelers defense and Lebeau to make Flacco's life a complete and total living hell come Monday night.

SteelerSteve
09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
I think one thing we can look foreward to is being in more managable 3rd down situations. Willie will break a big one now and then, but he gets stuffed too much. I think RM will provide consistent shorter gains for us though.

Silverback 92
09-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Moore might not be a bad pick up after all it seems like he was injury prone with the vikes though...

jpele
09-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Wow! Arians has a game plan ? Rashard should be alright,as long as he remembers "high and tight".

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Don't jinx us by talking about losing him, LOL..we're dangerously thin right now as it is. Fortunately we have Eason who's OK and Roye who's pretty good but losing anybody else and we are sunk...let alone losing Smith which would be disastrous. I like having Roye back, he's solid and stoudt and has been around and knows how to play in a 34.

JoeThomas
09-23-2008, 06:32 PM
well it only took till week 4 to see the value in your 1st pick. let the controversy begin! but really, its good to have a capable backup. i handcuffed him to 3 out of the 4 leagues i had willie. so im not scrambling.

Steelers70
09-23-2008, 06:38 PM
We'll lose our QB very soon if they don't stop the sacks. I'm actually looking forward to what our number 1 draft pick can do when he has to carry the whole load. It may be just what he needs in order to get comfortable in our schemes. Hopefully when Willie comes back we'll get to see the Pony again!

-Steelers70

steelerschick1220
09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Willie never really did much against the Ravens anyway, so might as well give Mendenhall a chance. I pray to God that he holds onto the ball, though.

NCSteeler
09-24-2008, 12:44 AM

Agreed, my first thought was of Gary. I wonder if there is room and moves to be made to bring hi in and dress him for the game. I doubt it, but if Mendenhall has fumble trouble we will be in big trouble. The Ravens will be going for the ball.

From rotowire...

Gary Russell-RB- Steelers Sep. 23 - 2:06 pm et

Steelers re-signed RB Gary Russell to the practice squad.

Russell returns after being waived over the weekend and has a chance to be active in Week 4 thanks to Willie Parker's sprained knee.

ToothAche
09-24-2008, 08:08 AM

Ryan Leaf was a first round pick...............

yinzer
09-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Ryan Leaf was a first round pick...............

:eek1: