PDA

View Full Version : My humble opinion over Steelers loss

TEEMONT
09-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok, so week 3 didn't go exactly as planned. Hell, it didn't even resemble anything that could have been planned. I think that may be the problem though, the plan. The Steelers have been stockpiling talent on offense for the last 3-4 years, and most of us thought, this would be the year that the fireworks would just explode upon opposing defenses. Hell, most of us were only last week predicting Super Bowl. So much for that idea right? I don't think the season is anywhere near lost yet, we are still 2-1, but major changes need made, and they need made very quickly.

The defense has looked sharp so far, and I think Bryant McFadden is making one hell of a case to be the starter, his re-signing needs to be made a priority. Troy is making all of us haters here look really stupid thus far, and he is playing like he has something to prove, which he did. The only problem defensively is our line right now. We have no depth whatsoever and teams like Dallas and New England are going to be able to run the ball on us with a little bit of success. I personally have liked the look of the D overall though, so lets not change a thing there, other than maybe getting Timmons a little more playing time.

Ugh, the offense. Does it kill anyone else to see Willie Parker, Ben, Hines, Santonio, and Heath on that field, and not putting up 30+ points a game? It has been driving me nuts. So, we have all of this talent on the offense, why aren't we scoring? Well it's a combination of things in my opinion. The Oline was playing solidly in the first two games, but they were exposed for what the are last night. They are the JV team, plain and simple. Something needs to be done, the Oline used to be our strength, and I don't care what anyone says, this team is missing Alan Faneca, not a doubt in my mind. Why in God's name are we paying Max Starks $7 million dollars to watch games from the best seat in the house? He played pretty decently last year at LT, and it's obvious we can't keep Colon at RT. So here is my short term fix, for this year only: Starks needs to play LT, he is athletic enough and making way too much mone. Kemo or Colon can platoon or compete for the LG spot. Colon is a guard, not a tackle, the man has no athletic ability at all, but he can maul people. I still like Hartwig at center, I just think he is getting used to being the most important player on the line. Kendall Simmons played some uninspired ball last night, but I think his mind was elsewhere. Let's put Marvel back at RT, it's his natural position, and I think he will be much more solid there, than he has been at LT.

The playcalling was and has been bad. Someone does need to be held accountable if something doesn't change soon. Get rid of the script, I ****ing hate scripts. I don't care if Ben likes it or not, you can't script a gameplan, football changes every play, and thus your gameplan needs to as well. Arians needs to wake up and realize it's time to boot Ben out to the left or right, run some misdirection plays, and find a ****ing way to keep Ben from killed.

Special teams is good this year....how weird does that sound?

seth_westover
09-22-2008, 12:42 PM
i agree! i really think we need to try our line like this:
LT-Starks
LG-Kemo
C-Hartwig
RG-Colon
RT-Smith

I dont think you can get much worse than how we played yesterday! hell i may even be for letting stapleton in there for some action! how bout essex at guard? that would be nice! at least hes big as ****! maybe he could hold some people off with his big fat ***!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Starks couldn't beat out Colon who isn't a true Tackle anyways, so having him inserted into the starting lineup isn't going to solve anything. having said that if things don't change in a hurry it may be experimentation time with the guys we have to see...remember though these guys are new, Kemo & hartwig so it going to take time for them work with the rest..but still you can't let Ben keep getting killed.

Where in God's name was the no huddle and short passing game to slow down the pressure.

ToothAche
09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I think one of the problems is Hartwig not calling the correct line adjustments needed. Can Dawson come out of retirement?

yinzer
09-22-2008, 03:04 PM
guys, it's easy. the iggles were bringing 6,7,8 people at a time.
more D rushers than O lineman = sack city. there was at least 5 occasions where lineman and backers were untouched. you have to adjust for that and arians didn't. 1-2 sacks a game, i can understand. not 9! that spells **** poor coaching plain and simple.

MOTORKRAFT
09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Games are won and lost in the trenches. The Steelers o-line problems have been building for over three years now. The d-line gets older every year. The Steeler f/o has drafted anything but that for the last two seasons. Sure Timmons, Woodley, Mendenhall and Sweed might turn out to be great, but they will be great on teams that struggle to be 8-8. I'm not pushing the panic button after 1 game, I've been pushing it for awhile now. The failure to address the lines will catch up to us sooner than later. It is possible that within 3 years that every o-lineman we have won't be here. Hampton and Smith could retire. Ben Roethlisberger will be walking around in a wheel chair. I see a team heading for rebuilding rather than reloading. This makes me sad. Maybe the end of the salary cap will save us and we can buy the trenches. Or maybe they will change the draft rules and with the first pick next year we can draft an entire o-line in the first round and an entire d-line in the second. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying I've always been a Steeler fan and always will be, but since free agency I have never seen this team with so many play makers, or with this many holes to fill.:helmet:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I have screamed for years that Marvel Smith isn't a true LT.....I agree 100 percent he should be switched to RT...Only problem I'm not convinced that Max Starks is the answer at LT...lol But again he could do no worse then Willie Colon....So I say let Starks start at RT.....I have been saying for over a year that Willie Colon isn't an NFL OT.....I will keep saying and I agree with you there as well....

In my opinion the Steelers coaching isn't do anything to help the OL either with their game planning and play calling...The Pats OL isn't filled with 1st round talent....But they're a solid group and I don't care how bad they looked against the Giants they're still a good OL.....But the Pats coaching staff has a system in place and has game plans to get the most of their talent to put them in situations to succeed most of the time....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Tomlin isn't going to change anybody on the line yet, he's going to stick with the philosophy of letting them play through it and get better together over the coming weeks. The problem is, are they going to get any better and will Ben survive their learning curve?

This line is such a hodge podge of players and the fact that we ONCE AGAIN failed to address the line signficantly in the draft is going to be downfall of this team if our current group of players does not step up.

seth_westover
09-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Ben Roethlisberger will be walking around in a wheel chair.

lol sry man! i just had to point this out! if ben is in a wheel chair, i doubt he will be walking around in a wheel chair! :hilarious::hilarious:

Stairwayto7
09-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Ok, so week 3 didn't go exactly as planned. Hell, it didn't even resemble anything that could have been planned. I think that may be the problem though, the plan. The Steelers have been stockpiling talent on offense for the last 3-4 years, and most of us thought, this would be the year that the fireworks would just explode upon opposing defenses. Hell, most of us were only last week predicting Super Bowl. So much for that idea right? I don't think the season is anywhere near lost yet, we are still 2-1, but major changes need made, and they need made very quickly.

The defense has looked sharp so far, and I think Bryant McFadden is making one hell of a case to be the starter, his re-signing needs to be made a priority. Troy is making all of us haters here look really stupid thus far, and he is playing like he has something to prove, which he did. The only problem defensively is our line right now. We have no depth whatsoever and teams like Dallas and New England are going to be able to run the ball on us with a little bit of success. I personally have liked the look of the D overall though, so lets not change a thing there, other than maybe getting Timmons a little more playing time.

Ugh, the offense. Does it kill anyone else to see Willie Parker, Ben, Hines, Santonio, and Heath on that field, and not putting up 30+ points a game? It has been driving me nuts. So, we have all of this talent on the offense, why aren't we scoring? Well it's a combination of things in my opinion. The Oline was playing solidly in the first two games, but they were exposed for what the are last night. They are the JV team, plain and simple. Something needs to be done, the Oline used to be our strength, and I don't care what anyone says, this team is missing Alan Faneca, not a doubt in my mind. Why in God's name are we paying Max Starks $7 million dollars to watch games from the best seat in the house? He played pretty decently last year at LT, and it's obvious we can't keep Colon at RT. So here is my short term fix, for this year only: Starks needs to play LT, he is athletic enough and making way too much mone. Kemo or Colon can platoon or compete for the LG spot. Colon is a guard, not a tackle, the man has no athletic ability at all, but he can maul people. I still like Hartwig at center, I just think he is getting used to being the most important player on the line. Kendall Simmons played some uninspired ball last night, but I think his mind was elsewhere. Let's put Marvel back at RT, it's his natural position, and I think he will be much more solid there, than he has been at LT.

The playcalling was and has been bad. Someone does need to be held accountable if something doesn't change soon. Get rid of the script, I ****ing hate scripts. I don't care if Ben likes it or not, you can't script a gameplan, football changes every play, and thus your gameplan needs to as well. Arians needs to wake up and realize it's time to boot Ben out to the left or right, run some misdirection plays, and find a ****ing way to keep Ben from killed.

Special teams is good this year....how weird does that sound?

Watch what you say about Arians, k-Train will be upset.

K Train
09-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Watch what you say about Arians, k-Train will be upset.

**** you i dont give a **** about him, but everyone wants to fire everyone after every screw up....hes not the problem, sure sometimes i dont agree with some of his calls but i play madden when i want to make the calls...theres an awful lot of teams that are way worse off than we are at every position and especially coaching....cleaning house after an 8 point loss is reallllly gonna do alot of good, great idea....lets get a whole new playbook for ben and everyone else this week, awesome strategy, maybe we should trade ben since he couldnt get out of the tackle box when he threw the ball away in the endzone AND hes hurt.....hes damaged goods, plus the ****er cost us 2 points....and **** willie for only getting 20 yards, i think he should be cut. What we really should do is clean house completely, maybe take a few years off like the browns did, let druckenmiller buy the team and be reinstated in 2010

Stairwayto7
09-23-2008, 03:37 PM
**** you i dont give a shiat about him, but everyone wants to fire everyone after every screw up....hes not the problem, sure sometimes i dont agree with some of his calls but i play madden when i want to make the calls...theres an awful lot of teams that are way worse off than we are at every position and especially coaching....cleaning house after an 8 point loss is reallllly gonna do alot of good, great idea....lets get a whole new playbook for ben and everyone else this week, awesome strategy, maybe we should trade ben since he couldnt get out of the tackle box when he threw the ball away in the endzone AND hes hurt.....hes damaged goods, plus the ****er cost us 2 points....and **** willie for only getting 20 yards, i think he should be cut. What we really should do is clean house completely, maybe take a few years off like the browns did, let druckenmiller buy the team and be reinstated in 2010

Its more than a loss, our franchise QB is going to get killed.

Boy did you start exagerrating, everything I ever gave you credit for, I take back. You think Madden is real life. Your such a dip shiat

TEEMONT
09-23-2008, 09:30 PM
You think Madden is real life. Your such a dip shiat

I think he was making fun of everyone here for getting so bent out of shape over things they can't control. Don't be so dense.

A great example is making a "Fire Arians" thread. Sure the O was dismal, but the problem is not completely Arians. I do think, like I said in my rant, that needs to play to Bens strengths, one of which is throwing on the run. So why not design plays for him to roll out? Arians got a lot out of our O last year, when the line was pretty bad, so I am not ready to scrap him, but he does need to get rid of the script.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I find it funny how anybody can defend Bruce Arians......Especially since I think you Teemont have a great understanding of the game of football....As for the fire Arians thread....I don't think anybody means fire them now but just suggesting if Arians continues to show to have no clue on how to handle the blitz then he should be gone...

The OL is a problem we all can see it......But there is many things that Arians can do to help the OL out.....First is scrapping the bunch formation...Its a terrible formation when a team is blitzing crazy like the Eagles did....Plus Arians needs to get over his love affair with the deep ball....I like to see the Steelers throw deep but when Ben has no time for the deep pass then shorter routes is the way to go...Far to many times Sunday I saw Ben take the play clock down to zero before hiking the ball....I don't what the issue is there....But it would be nice to see Ben audible out of a play especially when a play is doomed because of the blitz...Both Bruce Arians and Ben need to get together and sort their **** out....Forget all the pre snap motion....I don't think sending Heath Miller into motion three times before the snap worked...lol

I just think Bruce Arians will never improve and his past track record suggest he is a bum as an OC.....This team has to much talent on offense to only score 16 ****ing points in two weeks.....I know I wouldn't mind at all seeing Bruce Arians **** canned after the season.....

Grant37
09-24-2008, 12:41 AM
two words. screen pass.

steel-tex
09-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Man u hit the nail on the head - the offensive coordinator puts your gameplan together and he should be able to change it on the fly!! Arians is a bum - plain and simple, no imagination. On the last couple of drives we were still running the freaken ball - right into the 9 guys we were tryin to block with 6 or 7 hmmm--- im a dumb-*** redneck mechanic and can still figure out this won't work. what's up with that. ???

Stairwayto7
09-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Man u hit the nail on the head - the offensive coordinator puts your gameplan together and he should be able to change it on the fly!! Arians is a bum - plain and simple, no imagination. On the last couple of drives we were still running the freaken ball - right into the 9 guys we were tryin to block with 6 or 7 hmmm--- im a dumb-*** redneck mechanic and can still figure out this won't work. what's up with that. ???

Not according to some! And only their opinions matter.

TEEMONT
09-24-2008, 12:20 PM

The fact of the matter is this, we couldnt pass either. Didn't Ben get sacked on the last four plays of the half? They couldnt do a damn thing. Things need to change a bit, I believe they will though. The line and Arians game-plan were exposed by a pretty good D. We won't see too many D's like that the rest of the year.