PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming the offensive line

DBR96A
09-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Free agents: Marvel Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Willie Colon, Max Starks, Trai Essex.
Young talent: Tony Hills, Darnell Stapleton.

My advice? Re-sign Kemoeatu and Essex, and let the other free agents walk. Start Tony Hills at LT, and either commit to Stapleton at C, or look somewhere else. Use Essex as depth at both LT and LG, and Justin Hartwig as depth at C. Blow up the entire right side and start over again. Cut Kendall Simmons. Draft a new RT and a new RG, and sign a pair of scrubs as backups at both positions. Consider replacing Larry Zierlein if the offensive line does not improve over the course of this season.

Thoughts?

ToothAche
09-22-2008, 07:05 AM
We have the same mess we have now.

DBR96A
09-22-2008, 07:11 AM
We have the same mess we have now.

But with more upside, no?

yinzer
09-22-2008, 09:19 AM
no brainstorming needed. the o line is terrible. they all suck.

DBR96A
09-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Kemoeatu and Hartwig are the only starters I'm in the mood to keep after this season. The rest can land on the junk pile of has-been's and never-will-be's.

SteelfordWexler
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
[B] Consider replacing Larry Zierlein if the offensive line does not improve over the course of this season.

Start with the coach. He has no resume that would make you think he is capable and he isn't showing us anything now. The line is getting beat physically at times, but more often, they are just plain lost.

Ben had more guys coming at him untouched than I can remember ever seeing before. The blocking scheme is just plain awful. How can a guy standing over the center prior to the snap get to the QB completely untouched?

And it isn't just the line - Arians and Tomlin need to take the heat too. There were several plays where the linemen were all blocking well individually, but the Eagles brought more men than they could stop. We had no answers for the blitz - no adjustment to routes, no swing passes (until the 4th Q), no screens, no nothin.

Very disappointing, but it is a long season and there is nowhere to go but up.
BTW - did anyone hear Ben praising the Oline this week?

DBR96A
09-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Let's just hope that this game was an aberration similar to San Diego allowing Adrian Peterson to run for 296 yards last year. (They went to the AFC Championship Game, remember.)

HUNT4SEVEN
09-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Exactly:rant2:

SteelerFan87
09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Draft a new RT and a new RG, and sign a pair of scrubs as backups at both positions.

You mean the guys we already have? :lol:

Clevelandsux
09-22-2008, 05:49 PM
I say drop them all. They stink.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Tony Hills is nowhere near ready to be a starting LT in the NFL. He was projected as a 2 year project most likely. I want to see him out there too but we don't know for sure if he'll be ready. The team will need to address the tackle position in the 2008 offseason.

It's high time to stop keeping all these guys around that are just average and start to bring in some real players..spend the damn money on it. We've already got weapons for Ben and the defense is solid.