PDA

View Full Version : Should have kicked the FG... not that it matters...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Arians & Tomlin totally blew that last minute of the game. 4th down from the 20 with 45 seconds left. You should have kicked the FG and tried the onside kick. Atleast you give yourself a slight chance to come back...by going for it on 4th down your either make it or you don't.

Silverback 92
09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
it wouldnt have mattered not enough clock left to make a difference

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2008, 07:50 PM
We had about 45 seconds left on 4th down. We still probably wouldn't have won but you atleast give yourself that fighting chance to get the onsides back and run a couple quick long plays and see what happens.

To me that was a play calling blunder; the players on the field were yelling to kick the FG.

LarryNJ
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I really didn't have a problem with that call. You have better chance of making a fist down there than you do of kicking a FG, getting an onside kick and scoring a TD. If they get a TD than you only need a onside kick and a long FG. You are that close go for it all.

Bombhunter
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
The coaching staff gave up on the game, that's what that is telling me. They threw in the terrible towel...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I really didn't have a problem with that call. You have better chance of making a fist down there than you do of kicking a FG, getting an onside kick and scoring a TD. If they get a TD than you only need a onside kick and a long FG. You are that close go for it all.

You make a valid point and I can see where you are coming from..I just think given the game circumstances you need 2 scores anyways, why not take the sure 3 points and then try your luck at the TD and fight to the last second of the game.

DanRooney
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Mendenhall should've been in at runningback a lot sooner. Get Carey Davis out of there. Really a waste of space.

Stlrs4Life
09-21-2008, 07:56 PM
It wouldn't have mattered, our OL would just have given up another sack, or would have faulse started, or would have held on the play. They are that bad, I have -100% confidence in our OL. I don't think they improve in a good weeks practice for Baltimore either. I truly feel sorry for Ben and our Defense. It's a crying shame.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Mendenhall should've been in at runningback a lot sooner. Get Carey Davis out of there. Really a waste of space.

Will not happen, Carey Davis is 1 of Tomlins boys.

BlitzburghNation
09-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Yep,,,,,,Kick the fieldgoal,but like everyone's already said,it wouldn't have mattered :cursin:

Even Phil Simms was saying Fieldgoal :scratch:

We'll regroup next week :crossfingers:

LarryNJ
09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
You make a valid point and I can see where you are coming from..I just think given the game circumstances you need 2 scores anyways, why not take the sure 3 points and then try your luck at the TD and fight to the last second of the game.

And if you ask 20 NFL or college coaches probably 19 of them would agree with you. Usually the rule is get the points when you can.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Either way it wouldn't have mattered we all know what, it just sux it had to come down to something like this.

Ambridge
09-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Tomlin totally F'd-up by not going for the Field Goal and the Ugly Head of dumb-boneheaded decisions made by him has made another appearance.

I've watched enough football over the years to know that crazy things happen all the time and all you need is the opportunity to make a play.

For Tomlin not to have kicked the FG taken the three points and try for an ensueing onside kick is Enexcusable.
I'm convinced now that Tomlin is a bag of hot air and will be a mediocre coach along the lines of Herm Edwards.

jpele
09-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm convinced now that Tomlin is a bag of hot air and will be a mediocre coach along the lines of Herm Edwards.

Comparing Tomlin to Edwards is a really low blow, Edwards has a long way to go to reach mediocrity.

Troyisabeast_43
09-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Tomlin totally F'd-up by not going for the Field Goal and the Ugly Head of dumb-boneheaded decisions made by him has made another appearance.

I've watched enough football over the years to know that crazy things happen all the time and all you need is the opportunity to make a play.

For Tomlin not to have kicked the FG taken the three points and try for an ensueing onside kick is Enexcusable.
It was inexcusable to not kick the FG and make it 15-9 and then try the onside kick with about 40 seconds left. Should you recover it you get the ball around your own 40 and can at least take a couple shots in the end zone. Sure maybe we wouldnt have got 10 points there in a 50 second span but you gotta at least give yourself a chance to do so because anything can happen as we have seen in the past. Im with you though when you say it's moves like this and just the way this team once again played on the road going back to last year that really makes me question Mike Tomlin.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-21-2008, 09:42 PM
it wouldnt have mattered not enough clock left to make a difference
I like the fact that he has the nuts 2 go 4 it,but honestly it wouldn't have made an difference.

SteelfordWexler
09-23-2008, 02:17 PM
It was inexcusable to not kick the FG and make it 15-9 and then try the onside kick with about 40 seconds left. Should you recover it you get the ball around your own 40 and can at least take a couple shots in the end zone. Sure maybe we wouldnt have got 10 points there in a 50 second span but you gotta at least give yourself a chance to do so because anything can happen as we have seen in the past. Im with you though when you say it's moves like this and just the way this team once again played on the road going back to last year that really makes me question Mike Tomlin.

Absolutely no question about it. You always extend the game. Tomlin obviously wasn't thinking - or had given up. Either is a bad thing. It is probably as bad a decision as Romeo's decision to take the FG last week.

So far in the Tomlin era I can't remember an upset win. We will probably get another chance Monday. At least he did better with the challenges this week.:clap:

Troyisabeast_43
09-23-2008, 04:34 PM

I agree TG Tomlin's explanation for it was they were down there and they were going to take their shots and see if they could get 6 and make it a 2 point game instead of a 6 point game and then try the onside kick regardless. He said the way the offense was moving the ball the entire game he had no confidence I guess in them getting that close again to scoring a TD. That's all fine and stuff but like you said you still gotta take the 3 points make it 15-9 and try the onside kick and if you get it you can still run a couple plays out of bounds, or hell even the middle of the field and go spike it quickly and take a few shots in the end zone. We have seen teams win games with crazy game ending hail mary's and again you just never know what can happen if you throw the ball up and somebody comes down with it. You gotta at least give your team a chance and Tomlin and Arians did not do that, and in my opinion is yes they did blow that call period.

Clevelandsux
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure it would have mattered. We played so poorly, we're lucky they mustered up 2 fgs.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Woulda ,shoulda , coulda, ... come on the way the offense was playing they probably would not of been able to move it close enough for a field goal. To be questioning Tomlin because of not going for the field goal to me that's nuts :2cents:

Steelersfan
09-24-2008, 12:19 AM
It's not nuts to question it. Football is a crazy sport and when you get the chance to make it a one score game you take it, period. You take the FG and then take your chances with the onside kick. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered, who knows. But at least give the team a shot when you have it. We all know all it takes is one play to change the outcome of the game.