PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release Russell

Stlrs4Life
09-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Just got a text from KDKA saying that the Steeleres released Gary Russell.

This sucks, he will not last long unemployed.
http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/bl...ag=KDKA_Sports (http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=KDKA_Sports)

Sep 20, 2008 12:14 PM
STEELERS RELEASE GARY RUSSELL
Posted by mvuk
The Steelers made a roster move today when they promoted rookie LB Patrick Bailey to their active roster.

Bailey (6-4, 235) spent the first two games of the season on the Steelers’ practice squad after originally signing with the team as an undrafted rookie free agent from Duke. He started 26 games and recorded 191 tackles (24.5 for losses), 8.5 sacks, one interception and four forced fumbles during his college career.

The Steelers made room on their roster for Bailey by releasing second-year RB Gary Russell. Russell originally made the Steelers roster as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007.

Iron City South
09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow, I didn't see this one coming.

All that talk about how good Russel will be and how much of a talent he was hidden behind Maroney.

SteelerSal
09-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow, I didn't see this one coming.

All that talk about how good Russel will be and how much of a talent he was hidden behind Maroney.

"Sarcasm off":yellowthumb:

He has shown absolutely nothing since he has been on the roster.
To bad they did not add a young DE or DL to take his roster spot.

Bailey should help out more on sp.teams at least.

Stairwayto7
09-20-2008, 02:03 PM
At least we are loaded at RB. If he clears waivers he will get on the practice squad

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I didn't see this one coming, the coaches were saying he was showing a lot of promise and from what I saw at training camp he was doing really well. I thought he was a big reason they let Davenport go, so they could keep him as an insurance policy in case we hit injury problems at the RB position and also because he showed he had potential.

I can see though them bringing up Bailey to the active roster. Bruce Davis is not ready to start yet and they need some depth since Arnold Harrison blew out his knee and got released. I guess they feel pretty confident with just Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore as the teams RB's...personally that makes me a tad nervous.

SteelerSal
09-20-2008, 02:21 PM
I didn't see this one coming, the coaches were saying he was showing a lot of promise and from what I saw at training camp he was doing really well. I thought he was a big reason they let Davenport go, so they could keep him as an insurance policy in case we hit injury problems at the RB position and also because he showed he had potential.

I can see though them bringing up Bailey to the active roster. Bruce Davis is not ready to start yet and they need some depth since Arnold Harrison blew out his knee and got released. I guess they feel pretty confident with just Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore as the teams RB's...personally that makes me a tad nervous.

As much as people here hate the guy, Davis is capable of playing HB if need be.
Davenport was replaced by Moore not Russell as the 3rd down back.

Iron City South
09-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Bailey is a hitting machine. Perhaps he'll take Silverback's spot on ST's ....

SteelerSal
09-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Bailey is a hitting machine. Perhaps he'll take Silverback's spot on ST's ....

That sounds good to me, but if it takes starters to keep our coverage teams looking better than they have in the past decade, I'd say keep it the way it is.
I believe Russell was on the kickoff team so bailey can fill his spot.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Detroit is going 2 get Gary.R them or the Bungels, but we r loaded at the position anyways.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2008, 10:08 PM
As much as people here hate the guy, Davis is capable of playing HB if need be.
Davenport was replaced by Moore not Russell as the 3rd down back.

I like Davis, I think he's really coming into his own. It takes a year for a new FB to get used to blocking for the tailbacks. He does get a token carry now and then and can run hard. :yesnod:

Moore is the 3rd down back but they also got rid of Davenport for as much reason of getting Moore as they did of not wanting to use a roster spot and lose Russel too.