PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to play Sweed?

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 03:55 PM
I know last week was played in a hurricane, but that didnt stop Hines and Holmes from getting open. When are the Steelers going to give up on Washington and let us see what Sweed can do?
Washington is a bum and I havent seen much of Baker either. It would be great to get Limas in there getting some playing time just in-case we have to open it up against this Philly team that knows how to score points.

Stairwayto7
09-19-2008, 04:05 PM
No, not if he is still behind Baker on the depth chart. maybe he will end up a bust? Who knows, but it doesnt seem like the Steelers are too high on him yet.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-19-2008, 04:17 PM
I say wait untill mid season,right now where doing good with who's out there, let em learn than later on give him some game time experience, some cats take time 2 adjust 2 the N.F.L

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 04:19 PM
I think we can put him in there when we are doing mop up time in the 4th Q this weekend.

LarryNJ
09-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I think we can put him in there when we are doing mop up time in the 4th Q this weekend.

But than he won't get to catch a pass because we'll be running it down their throats. :grin1:

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 05:05 PM
But than he won't get to catch a pass because we'll be running it down their throats. :grin1:
This is true. OK, then he might have to wait until he wins the job in practice or because Baker or Nate blow it. I do want to see him in there. But if we can win a ring without him...think how good we will be when he's in the starting line up.

DanRooney
09-19-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm actually more excited to see Baker play. Hes been in our system for a year and knows all of the routes. .

Washington is pathetic. He disappears for a month at a time. Takes him about 4 weeks to even catch a pass. He needs to get cut. :crossfingers:

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm actually more excited to see Baker player play. Hes been in our system for a year and knows all of the routes. .

Washington is pathetic. He disappears for a month at a time. Takes him about 4 weeks to even catch a pass. He needs to get cut. :crossfingers: YIKES....WHY SO SERIOUS????? :yellowthumb:

Mechem
09-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Seriously though I do not have a lot of love for washington... not much at all.

I think Sweed's stock dropped along with the two or 3 balls in a row he dropped in that last preseason game.

Also why do you think Mendenhall hasnt had much play time? You wanna bet those fumbles have something to do with that.

Both those guys had the dropsy in the last couple preseason games and Im willing to say that has a big impact on their playing time early this year. Dont get me wrong, Im sure they come in later on from week 6 and forward, but for now the guys are fresh and let the starters get this train moving.

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 07:19 PM

I think Sweed's stock dropped along with the two or 3 balls in a row he dropped in that last preseason game.

Also why do you think Mendenhall hasnt had much play time? You wanna bet those fumbles have something to do with that.

Both those guys had the dropsy in the last couple preseason games and Im willing to say that has a big impact on their playing time early this year. Dont get me wrong, Im sure they come in later on from week 6 and forward, but for now the guys are fresh and let the starters get this train moving.

As long as Willie plays like he did the first 2 games, I'm good on Jiggleballs riding the Pine.

Mechem
09-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah seriously, that guy makes it not matter so much. With Parker chalkin up 100 yards a game I dont care if Dallas Baker and Nate Washington START the game.

Stairwayto7
09-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Sweed has to beat out Baker and Washington, I`m sure our staff has him right where he should be. If he were ready, he would play

Zachintosh66
09-19-2008, 11:09 PM
your not given playing time... its earned

DanRooney
09-20-2008, 05:10 AM

Yeah NateNate really deserves his playing time :lol:

Speaking of someone that deserves playing time, do you guys think Timmons will see the field (at least for a few snaps) on Sunday? Tomlin needs to find a way to put a lot of pressure on McNabb.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-20-2008, 06:01 AM
There was no way Sweed was going to beat out Nate in preseason no matter what he did. Rookie WR's rarely come on like gang busters and make big plays left and right in their first year. If they do it's because they are thrust into a starting role and they get every pass thrown at them as possible..lol. WR's generally take 2-3 years to become and efficient reliable target. Santonio really came into his own last year and he's going to do great things. Hines played ST for the first few years and then backup WR till he finally cracked the starting lineup. Plax was thrown in right outta the gate and just completely stunk up the joint.

As for Nate, I was pulling for him this year, I thought he might have finally turned the corner but man the dude just completely digressed. He's got so much potential and he has great speed but the dude needs to pull a Mendenhall and walk with that football wherever he goes.

I've been saying all along that Tomlin needs to alternate Baker & Sweed each week so they both get playing time since we can't seem to dress 5 WR's for some reason :scratch: :evilshake: I realize we need roster spots for other positions too but damn we are not helping Limas out at all by letting him ride the bench! Get his *** in there and atleast get into the game and run some routes and what not.

yinzer
09-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah NateNate really deserves his playing time :lol:

Speaking of someone that deserves playing time, do you guys think Timmons will see the field (at least for a few snaps) on Sunday? Tomlin needs to find a way to put a lot of pressure on McNabb.

timmons will get a lot of pt i think because we'll be running that nickel defense a lot to handle westbrook.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
i think we need to start working him in. we need to start spreading the ball around to some other people besides hines and santonio. at least dress the guy.

ToothAche
09-20-2008, 07:45 AM
As long as Willie plays like he did the first 2 games, I'm good on Jiggleballs riding the Pine.

Jiggleballs :haha:

Stairwayto7
09-20-2008, 07:58 AM

:yellowthumb:

roosterray
09-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Sweed isn't ready yet and if Ben doesn't throw to nate why would he through to Sweed. I say only in Redzone because of his size on 3rd down :)

Nate doesn't get open enough. I don't think his route running is good enough and he should hang out with holmes more. Maybe his dedication to the game would be more obvious. Baker is that guy. :)

SteelerSal
09-20-2008, 11:19 AM
The coach's see what goes on with the other wr's (Baker and Sweed)in the film room and practice and apparently if Sweed or Baker were the better option over Nate then they would be playing.

I will not give up on Nate yet, he has only had a few balls thrown his way, since Ben has only averaged 15 passes per game so the guy needs to becut some slack. Hines and Holmes have dropped a few per game and we are not callin for thier heads.
When Byron :yuck1: came in for Ben, the pass he threw to him was behind Nate anyways so if he did make the catch, it would of been a difficult one.

Nate has not lost a game for us this season and I would rather have him as the 3rd option than unproven players.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-20-2008, 11:52 AM

Nice post Steel brother. I think Rushard gets his call tommorrow.Eagles have not seen that two back set yet!!!Niether has anyone else. That would be sure to get that secondary up closer to the line. Put them in a burnable position for Nate to catch that one big pass that he seems to get a few times a year.He is doing something right and i have to defend him. Most of the passes he gets are so well defensed it is hard to put so much blame on him.He just needs sticky hands thats all.I'm glad we have him and not Philly.

mariners100
09-21-2008, 08:59 PM
What is Sweeds problem? It seems to me that we have another QR that is too dumb to learn the playbook... He was billed as the tall WR and a target in the Redzone and he can't find the field cause he is too dumb.... Learn the plays and earn your paycheck.

SteelerSal
09-21-2008, 09:03 PM
What is Sweeds problem? It seems to me that we have another QR that is too dumb to learn the playbook... He was billed as the tall WR and a target in the Redzone and he can't find the field cause he is too dumb.... Learn the plays and earn your paycheck.

Can Sweed block for Ben?? We could of had T.O., Moss and a young Jerry Rice out there today and Ben still would not of gotten free from the defense.

mariners100
09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't recall saying that Sweed would be a blocker nor did I reference this game in my post..... but he needs to learn the playbook and get on the field... if you have Nate Washington ahead of you that tells you something.

SteelerSteve
09-21-2008, 10:35 PM
If the O-line was worth a **** I really dont think it would matter who's in there.

Stairwayto7
09-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Can Sweed block for Ben?? We could of had T.O., Moss and a young Jerry Rice out there today and Ben still would not of gotten free from the defense.

You beat me too it. We need to put about 150 lbs. on him.

if we could only changes Hines Ward number form 86 to 68, and put 100 lbs on him. then we would have one helluva lineman

SteelerSteve
09-23-2008, 05:05 PM
You beat me too it. We need to put about 150 lbs. on him.

if we could only changes Hines Ward number form 86 to 68, and put 100 lbs on him. then we would have one helluva lineman Hell, I would put all of his 205 pounds there and replace any 300 pound mother****er on our line right now lol