PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Article Ranks Ben the best young QB

Mechem
09-18-2008, 06:30 PM
If im posting articles in the wrong area, my bad. But this was cool, they took 5 guys opinions on 5 QBs and ranked em, and our boy BIG BEN came up #1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3594747

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 06:32 PM
I saw that today. But we already knew that...I think within a couple years he will be the best period. I dont care if Brady and Manning are playing or not. IMO, Ben has more tools then they do. Neither one of them can throw on the run, and Ben is every bit as accurate as they are. again...IMO

Black@Gold Forever32
09-18-2008, 06:41 PM
Ben is the 3rd best QB in the NFL in my mind the second best with Brady out....I just hope this team uses him more.....Last year we saw a glimpse of what Ben can do with given the pass attempts...I just hope Tomlin and Arians don't turn into Bill Cowher with this 2-0 start and Willie rocking again.....I love the running the ball to but this league is a QB league and points come through the passing game...Ben should average 25-30 pass attempts a game...I'm not calling for 35-50...lol

Mechem
09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Meh I think you need to pass no more than 25 a game truthfully. Passes are to keep a defense honest, and occasionally shock a defense expecting a run.

Right now, Manning isnt even a hot item. He looks frail and confused a lot over these last two games. He isnt the same guy he once was, and he is getting older.

Brady, who knows how he can come back. He may be done for good effectively. Hes 32 and has a blown knee. Culpepper couldnt even get a job after his knees went and he was younger.

If Ben just plays smart, and makes plays the way he always does, he will come to be up there with the all time best guys to play the game. And he will have the hardware to show for it.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Meh I think you need to pass no more than 25 a game truthfully. Passes are to keep a defense honest, and occasionally shock a defense expecting a run.

Right now, Manning isnt even a hot item. He looks frail and confused a lot over these last two games. He isnt the same guy he once was, and he is getting older.

Brady, who knows how he can come back. He may be done for good effectively. Hes 32 and has a blown knee. Culpepper couldnt even get a job after his knees went and he was younger.

If Ben just plays smart, and makes plays the way he always does, he will come to be up there with the all time best guys to play the game. And he will have the hardware to show for it.

I personally would like to see 25-30.....There is going to come a time when this team will need to pass more then it has to run to win a football game...It could happen this Sunday...Running the football is important....But its also important to use all the talent on this offense to its max potential......

Troyisabeast_43
09-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I personally would like to see 25-30.....There is going to come a time when this team will need to pass more then it has to run to win a football game...It could happen this Sunday...Running the football is important....But its also important to use all the talent on this offense to its max potential......

I agree and it most likely will be this Sunday in Philly against a good offense like the Eagles who are capable of scoring a lot of points. Ben has proven especially going back to last season that he is more then capable of throwing the football if he needs to in order for the Steelers to win the game. The fans that continue to come on here and other places and say that Ben cant throw the ball and win games with his arm are complete and total idiots.

$teelersRule
09-18-2008, 08:56 PM
if i was building a franchise and i could have any QB i wanted i would without a doubt pick ben. he is young and has gotten better every year. the guy had one poor season after getting in a modercycle accident. what more could anyone ask for? everyone will know he is #1 in the league within the next 2-3 years :yesnod::boxing:

steelerschick1220
09-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, most Steeler fans already were aware of this, but it is nice to see him get some recognition. With Brady out, I feel that Ben is the best QB in the league. I just think that Manning is on the downside of his career. I hope our offense uses Ben to his full capacity and allow him to throw more, and not just run, run ,run. I would like to see him take 25 or 30 shots a game, instead of the 20 or so he gets now.

BlackGold4vr
09-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Teams must adapt to exploit their strengths. Ben is one of our biggest strengths. For those of you old enough to remember the 70's Steelers, there were 2 different distinct teams. The first 2 superbowls were won by a run dominant team and those years allowed Terry Bradshaw to mature and grow into that leadership role he later took in those 3rd and 4th superbowls. The second set of superbowls were won by a team that relied much more on the passing game. First two superbowls were low scoring, second set were high scoring. That first superbowl for Ben was a run dominant team and his role was more to manage the game than to carry it on his back. I believe he has grown in many areas. As a leader and his understanding of the game, reading defenses, and his skills and abilities to handle pressure and make better decisions with the ball. This team is very talented and Ben now has the abilities and skillset that should a situation dictate (behind in the game) that he can put the team on his back and carry it to victory. :2cents:

Mechem
09-18-2008, 11:12 PM
I do agree with all the above. I think its good to cater to your teams strengths. However I guess I have to say that I still think, regardless of how good your QB is, you should have under 25 pass attempts. This to me is just my football philosophy.

Granted, I think Ben should get those 20 attempts and I think he would use them perfectly.

To me, the Houston game was a model example. Perfect game in every way. The QB shouldnt have to shoulder the whole load and he hardly did, yet when he did throw the ball, it was skillled.

Like a surgeon who doesnt want to cause any more bleeding than is necessary, he skillfully slices only when needed and gets the job done.

yinzer
09-19-2008, 11:38 AM
ben is the best in the league now!! :tt02:

TEEMONT
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Ben is the 3rd best QB in the NFL in my mind the second best with Brady out....I just hope this team uses him more.....Last year we saw a glimpse of what Ben can do with given the pass attempts...I just hope Tomlin and Arians don't turn into Bill Cowher with this 2-0 start and Willie rocking again.....I love the running the ball to but this league is a QB league and points come through the passing game...Ben should average 25-30 pass attempts a game...I'm not calling for 35-50...lol

As much as I love Willie getting his 100+ yards each game, and shutting up the haters. I do think we need to see Ben throw more often, especially on 1st down. Ben is better than I gave him credit for a few years ago. If I can give him some love, surely Arians and Tomlin should be able to as well.

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I do agree with all the above. I think its good to cater to your teams strengths. However I guess I have to say that I still think, regardless of how good your QB is, you should have under 25 pass attempts. This to me is just my football philosophy.

Granted, I think Ben should get those 20 attempts and I think he would use them perfectly.

To me, the Houston game was a model example. Perfect game in every way. The QB shouldnt have to shoulder the whole load and he hardly did, yet when he did throw the ball, it was skillled.

Like a surgeon who doesnt want to cause any more bleeding than is necessary, he skillfully slices only when needed and gets the job done.

Very well put. I agree 100%. However there is going to come a day when we will have to pass more than 20 times. In the playoffs, teams will try and shut down the run game and force Ben to throw. I just hope Arian can call a good game when that does happen.

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Very well put. I agree 100%. However there is going to come a day when we will have to pass more than 20 times. In the playoffs, teams will try and shut down the run game and force Ben to throw. I just hope Arian can call a good game when that does happen. You could be right, but I really dont think teams want to make Ben throw. Its not like this is Kordell Stewart or someone like that. Ben will not fold, and if you force him to throw because your taking away the running game, then there are alot of one on one match ups that Ben will pick apart. dont go puttin 8 in the box against Ben and these wide outs, you will get burnt....

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
GASP!!!! Did you just say Kordell Stewart???????!

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM
GASP!!!! Did you just say Kordell Stewart???????!
I did. And I was a fan too. I still have his jersey, and my little sister wants to wear it. Should I let her? Or should I have the name removed from the back, and put Holmes on it instead?

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 12:59 PM
You need to remove that name as soon as possible!! (and never speak his name ever again!) From now on he shall be reffered to as "He who we must not speak of".

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 01:42 PM
You need to remove that name as soon as possible!! (and never speak his name ever again!) From now on he shall be reffered to as "He who we must not speak of".
Thats hard to do. He was one of us, and I have a hard time doing that to him. If you read Jeromes book, you will see that not everything is as it seems, and Kordell got F&%* over by the team, and just maybe the coach. Now these are not my words, this comes from the Bus. Check it out....

With that being said, I thank the football gods every day for Big Ben....:tt02:

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Yes Dean, I did read that. However, He did try to play for the Bears aswell, and he stank there too.

Stairwayto7
09-19-2008, 02:00 PM

I like Ben as 3 also, Peyton has great accuracy, and although struggling now, he`ll get it together

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes Dean, I did read that. However, He did try to play for the Bears aswell, and he stank there too. He stunk because the Bears stunk. He did lead us into 2 AFC title games, and we got robbed by the Refs in that Denver game, and well I think we all know that New England cheated us in 2001. I know he wasn't the greatest, but its hard to put it all on him. I liked him, and thought he got misused.

Mechem
09-19-2008, 07:00 PM

No dude that was Tommy M. I wont say/type his last name. He was the worst thing I've ever seen. Only good thing he did was come from behind to kill da Browns.

He stunk because the Bears stunk. He did lead us into 2 AFC title games, and we got robbed by the Refs in that Denver game, and well I think we all know that New England cheated us in 2001. I know he wasn't the greatest, but its hard to put it all on him. I liked him, and thought he got misused.

DONT FORGET 2004!!! You know Ben's rookie year was blessed by the football gods, and the only reason we got beat was cause they done videotaped us!

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 07:29 PM
No dude that was Tommy M. I wont say/type his last name. He was the worst thing I've ever seen. Only good thing he did was come from behind to kill da Browns.

DONT FORGET 2004!!! You know Ben's rookie year was blessed by the football gods, and the only reason we got beat was cause they done videotaped us!
Thats the same reason Kordell got beat. At least when Denver beat us they used the Refs, and the magic of John Elway going to a Superbowl. All so friggin crappy.....We should have 8 rings or so. I guess the NFl wants to keep it close for now. But how long can you really keep us down?
I think Denver has something in Cutler too, so there will be a changing of the gaurd in the next couple of seasons.

Mechem
09-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Denver is an interesting team. I mean really it wasnt long ago that we were killing them in an AFC championship game. To me, their defense leaves much to be desired. And the offense looks great right now, but I think that the running game can be stopped easily. Every year they just shove a guy in there at RB.