PDA

View Full Version : 43 years later, Steelers looking to win in Philly

Captcoolhand
09-18-2008, 08:15 AM
PITTSBURGH -- In only a week's time, the Pittsburgh Steelers will go from playing in an opposing city where they almost never lose to one where they've never won.

At least during the lifetime of any of their current players.

After beating the Cleveland Browns for the 10th consecutive time, the Steelers (2-0) travel across Pennsylvania on Sunday to play in Philadelphia (1-1) - a city where they haven't won in eight games or 43 years, or two stadiums ago for the Eagles.

"Really? 1965? I wasn't even born yet," wide receiver Hines Ward said Wednesday. "What happens then, that's history. It's definitely going to be a challenge, there's no question."

Talk about ancient history. The Eagles played in Franklin Field in 1965; the Steelers never won any of their three regular season game in Veterans Stadium, during irregular appearances dictated by a now-abandoned NFL scheduling format in which AFC teams sometimes didn't play in NFC cities for years. They have yet to play in Lincoln Financial Field.

To these Steelers, the Eagles will be a difficult enough team to beat, regardless of their own franchise's terrible history in Philadelphia.

Despite losing Monday night in Dallas, the Eagles are second in the NFL in scoring (37.5 points per game) and Donovan McNabb is second with 642 yards passing and DeSean Jackson is fourth in receiving with 216 yards.

Despite the Steelers' infrequent trips to Philadelphia and the number of fans they have in central and northeastern Pennsylvania, they expect the atmosphere in Philadelphia to be as anti-Steelers as it was Sunday night in Cleveland.

"It's going to be crazy in Philly. It's probably worse than in Cleveland; I think they don't like us more than Cleveland doesn't like us," running back Willie Parker said.
Wow, I never knew that it's been that long since the Steelers won in Philly.....:scratch:

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 12:26 PM
I think we win this running away. Yeah it could be close or we could even lose, but I doubt we lose this game. This is a new age of Steeler, and Ben has never played in Philly. None of these guys have. How long has it been since we were even over there? Philly is good for an NFC team, but I dont think they stack up to us.
But I geuss we will see.

ejsteeler
09-18-2008, 12:41 PM
It'll be basic football. We need to score when we have the ball and the D needs to stop them. Anything else and we will lose. Philly is good enough to worry about right now.
That siad, I do believe the boys will go in there and kick some a$$! :tt02: :yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I like our chances, at least with good weather, and a admirable opponent, we will be able to judge our team a little bit better after Sun

steelerschick1220
09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
I like our chances to win this game. I am looking forward to seeing how we play against a pretty good team in the league. It should be fun!

steelersgal86
09-18-2008, 03:16 PM
wow...time for a change...:markit:

HUNT4SEVEN
09-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I really believe we pull this one out, the score will b 41 Pittsburgh an 28 Eagles, we wil contain McNabb an Westbrook:yellowthumb::tt02::cope:

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 05:41 PM
wow...time for a change...:markit:
I know. When was the last time we were there? I cant even remember. I know the last time we played them. What about preseason? Has Ben ever even been there?

Mechem
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
We dont run away with this one...

This is going to be a tough game. If we win by 10+ I'll be really pleased. Philly plays fast and has a good passing defense. Asante Samuel is no pushover, and the safeties are good. We need to pound the ground game, and Parker has to come up big.

If we can hold the ball longer with a drawn out running game, then Ben can pick them apart with play action. Otherwise, we're in for a long day. If parker cant get past the front four of Philly, its over. We need at least another 100 yards out of him.

On another note, they have such a versatile offense and their checkdowns tend to turn into first downs. We have to watch westbrook and smother the receivers.

My score is Pittsburgh 24-20

K Train
09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
i think this game is overrated, we both have respectable clubs but our defense is gonna make the difference....jackson, baskett and brown dont exactly strike fear into the hearts of a talented defense like ours.

i thought we played them in philly during bens rookie year and demolished the 7-0 eagles

K Train
09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
I know. When was the last time we were there? I cant even remember. I know the last time we played them. What about preseason? Has Ben ever even been there?

weve played and won there in the preseason last year

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
We dont run away with this one...

This is going to be a tough game. If we win by 10+ I'll be really pleased. Philly plays fast and has a good passing defense. Asante Samuel is no pushover, and the safeties are good. We need to pound the ground game, and Parker has to come up big.

If we can hold the ball longer with a drawn out running game, then Ben can pick them apart with play action. Otherwise, we're in for a long day. If parker cant get past the front four of Philly, its over. We need at least another 100 yards out of him.

On another note, they have such a versatile offense and their checkdowns tend to turn into first downs. We have to watch westbrook and smother the receivers.

My score is Pittsburgh 24-20 Maybe.......Westbrook is good, but not the best. He will get punished like everyone else that tries to run on us. Yes Philly has a good pass rush. Thats the only part of that team that I'm worried about. Romo put up 9,000 yards against them, so I dont see where we will struggle with doing the same. DM is looking good right now, but I doubt he has played against a pass rush like ours, or a DEf that covers so much of the field.

Mechem
09-18-2008, 06:13 PM
And i will say that I think we can stop their passing attack. We did it in 04, which by chance was when they went to the superbowl.

But you have to respect McNabbs improvisational skill and Westbrook catching game. I dont expect Westbrook to stack more than 50 yards rushing, but I wouldnt be surprised if he chalked up 75 catching.

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 06:41 PM
And i will say that I think we can stop their passing attack. We did it in 04, which by chance was when they went to the superbowl.

But you have to respect McNabbs improvisational skill and Westbrook catching game. I dont expect Westbrook to stack more than 50 yards rushing, but I wouldnt be surprised if he chalked up 75 catching. Yes, I agree there. I think WB is the best out of the back field. The flip side to that though, is he has never play a Def as good as ours. I think the Ravens give them a beating too. Well, it wont be a high scoring game when they play the Ravens.

Clevelandsux
09-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow, I never knew that it's been that long since the Steelers won in Philly.....:scratch:

well we're due.:tt02:

Troyisabeast_43
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Key to this game is to get up on the Eagles early and often. If that happens and you get the Eagles behind that is when Donovan McNabb will start making mistakes and start to panic and take sacks and throw picks. Even if this game is close in the end I still like the Steelers to win because Ill take Big Ben with the ball in his hands and the game tied in the 4th quarter over a guy like Donovan McNabb in that situation who has proven time and time again he is nothing but a choker late in games.

Mechem
09-18-2008, 07:14 PM
I do really feel decent about getting a win this weekend, even if it isnt a big win.

When you consider the 2004 version of the Eagles was pretty much the team to beat in the NFC, and we trashed em, and they still went to the Superbowl, then this team HAS to be beatable.

They've lost WR options too. Jackson's their only real threat. Him and WB out of the backfield.

Troyisabeast_43
09-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I do really feel decent about getting a win this weekend, even if it isnt a big win.

When you consider the 2004 version of the Eagles was pretty much the team to beat in the NFC, and we trashed em, and they still went to the Superbowl, then this team HAS to be beatable.

They've lost WR options too. Jackson's their only real threat. Him and WB out of the backfield.

The Eagles are going to put some points on the board in this game. I dont expect the Steelers defense to completely shut down McNabb and that offense the entire game. However, I do think they can confuse McNabb enough and have him make enough mistakes to where they can lead to some big plays on defense and turnovers which can lead to points on offense. Ben should be able to have a decent day once again throwing the ball seeing that Romo and the Cowboys torched the Eagles on Monday night. This is a huge huge game for the Steelers because if you win this game you have a very very good chance to start the season 4-0 with the Ravens and Joe Flacco coming into Heinz Field for Monday night football next week in which case the Steelers havent lost on Monday night football at home in 17 years since 1991.