PDA

View Full Version : O-Line: Hits on Big Ben will stop

BlitzburghRockCity
09-18-2008, 06:49 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08262/913049-66.stm

Thursday, September 18, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers detest seeing Ben Roethlisberger bounced around in the pocket with what they feel are late and illegal hits and promise to handle it one way or another.
"A lot of us as a line feel we have to protect him a little more outside the whistle," tackle Willie Colon said yesterday. "Guys are going to take shots at him and try to knock him down. He makes us run, so if we see stuff like that we have to kind of be there and get after guys who try to do stuff like that. I'm going to be looking for it, especially this Sunday."
Roethlisberger, who went through a full practice yesterday, has been sacked five times and has a slight separated right shoulder because of one. That's bad enough, but he also has been hit twice on questionable calls not involving a sack. One occurred late in the first half against Houston when defensive tackle Amobi Okoye hit him low, causing a slightly hyperextended knee. Hitting quarterbacks low is illegal in the NFL, but no flag was thrown on that play.

Next

Game: Steelers (2-0) at Philadelphia Eagles (1-1).
When: 4:15 p.m. Sunday.
Where: Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia.
TV: KDKA.
The line: Eagles by 3.
The skinny: The Steelers are 0-7 in Philadelphia since winning there in 1965.Bruised already

Then Sunday, Cleveland's 350-pound nose tackle Shaun Rogers slammed into Roethlisberger well after he threw a pass. No flag was thrown on that play either, which incensed some of his teammates. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley was penalized earlier in the game for hitting Cleveland quarterback Derek Anderson just as he released the ball.
"I saw that, now that was very late," guard Kendall Simmons said of Rogers' hit.
"How can you not see Shaun Rogers make a hit like that?" Colon wondered about the officials who called no penalty. "Especially before the game when Andra Davis was saying he'll take the fine?"
Davis, the Browns' middle linebacker, was quoted Saturday in the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he and his teammates had to rough up Roethlisberger even if it meant doing so against the rules.
"This game, we've just got to not worry about fines or late hits or whatever the referee is going to do," Davis told the Plain-Dealer. "We've just got to go out and get him down because you know they take care of the quarterbacks in this league. But we've just got to put that behind us. If we get fined, we get fined. We've just got to make sure we get the job done."
Said Colon: "You hear remarks like that, you kind of take it personally. I know I do. We just have to be able to keep him as clean as possible and make sure there's nothing really dirty going on."
The Steelers have sent a video clip of the Rogers hit to the league office.
"When Woodley hit Derek Anderson, I don't think it was particularly late," Hines Ward said. "But they made the call. You'd just like to see it called both ways. It definitely wasn't.
"What can you do? You turn it into the league and you hope the league comes back and judges it. But for us, we definitely want to protect our quarterback as much as possible. That's why it's so important for us as a unit to try to keep as many hits off him as possible."
No one in the NFL has been sacked as often as Roethlisberger the past two seasons. He was sacked 46 times in 2006 and 47 last season, second and third most in franchise history.
Five sacks in two games projects to 40 for the season, down slightly, but his percentage of sacks are higher. Last season, counting sacks, he dropped back to pass 451 times and was sacked 10.42 percent of the time. This season, he dropped back 38 times and has been sacked 13.15 percent.
Now comes the blitzing defense of the Philadelphia Eagles, who will go after Roethlisberger with everything they have.
"Oh, of course, no doubt about that," Simmons said. "So there will probably be a couple of skirmishes in there. I can guarantee that. That's part of it."
The linemen, though, say they are prepared to do whatever it takes to protect Roethlisberger the rest of the way.
"You do whatever you have to do, if they want to take it to that step," Simmons said. "I'm not the type of guy to play dirty, that has never been my issue, but you don't sit there and let your guy get beat up on. You protect him. If they want to go after the whistle, then you do it and let the referees decide on what's going to happen after that because they can't let it happen, they have to do something about it."
"He's taken some shots," Colon said. "For the most part, you can't help worry about him. He's a key factor for our success this year.
"Hopefully they'll be clean about it. If not, as a line we have to protect him a lot more outside the whistle."

Now tell me that doesn't get you fired up! This is what I've been waiting for! The offensive line that is mean, nasty, tough, and takes no **** from anybody no matter who you are. Ben is the QB and their job is to protect him. If somebody takes a shot at Ben they better be there to protect him and it sounds like they've finally had enough.

yinzer
09-18-2008, 08:36 AM
we'll see......................................

steelersgal86
09-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Sounds great....hope it happens :crossfingers::crossfingers:

SteelerSal
09-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Feneca leaving might have been the best thing for the O-line.
Seems like everybody has stepped up instead of standing in the shadows of an over the hill whiner who's play on the field was subpar the last few seasons.
I'm liking what I'm reading, and more important, I'm liking what I'm seeing on the field with the guys in the trenches.

DBR96A
09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
This is music to my ears. After Sunday night's game, I asked myself why none of the offensive linemen ever stand up for Ben. It's about time the front five came around to the fact that our franchise QB -- the guy who makes the team go -- is taking cheap shots from several of our opponents. (By the way, if Ben is really "not as good as we think," then why are so many opposing defenses going out of their ways to get a shot on him?)

I'd like to see what Chris Kemoeatu does to that fat bitch Shaun Rogers next time we play the Browns -- provided we're not resting our starters in preparation for the playoffs by that point.

yinzer
09-18-2008, 08:50 AM
this article kind of reminds me of one of my friends. he is really overweight and knows it. he, on occasion, when the "mood" hits him right, will get a little fired up about losing weight. he'll tell me, "I'M SICK OF IT! I'M STARTING TOMORROW! I'LL BE AT THE GYM EVERY DAY AND WILL RUN EVERY MORNING!!" but when "tomorrow" comes, he has slept in without running only to wake up and fire up some nice, fat bacon, eggs, sausage, and pancakes. losing weight is all put to the wayside. but he DID feel good the day before when he was "fired" up about losing weight.

are you all seeing where i'm going with this? i don't want any more talk from this ****ing o line. i want results. IF THESE GUYS WANNA PLAY GRAB ***, I'LL PUT ON A UNIFORM AND GO BANG HEADS. let's see if this o line can back up the talk or if they wake up on sunday eating bacon, eggs, sausage, and pancakes forgetting to protect ben.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I can't remember anyone on the OL in recent memory every coming up and saying something like this so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take them at their word. If Simmons & Colon are coming out and saying it then Im sure it's all over their meeting rooms as well. Kemoeatu, Simmons, and Colon all have nasty streaks in them that haven't come out much in the past, now maybe we'll finally get to see it more often. I want to see these guys come up and punch people in the mouth, kick, scratch, jab, do whatever it takes to get the job done and if someone lays a cheap shot on Ben then go over knock him the hell out! Lines are supposed to be big, mean, nasty, grunts who don't care what people think and pretty much hate everyone so let's see them play like that!:greengrin:

yinzer
09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I can't remember anyone on the OL in recent memory every coming up and saying something like this so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take them at their word. If Simmons & Colon are coming out and saying it then Im sure it's all over their meeting rooms as well. Kemoeatu, Simmons, and Colon all have nasty streaks in them that haven't come out much in the past, now maybe we'll finally get to see it more often. I want to see these guys come up and punch people in the mouth, kick, scratch, jab, do whatever it takes to get the job done and if someone lays a cheap shot on Ben then go over knock him the hell out! Lines are supposed to be big, mean, nasty, grunts who don't care what people think and pretty much hate everyone so let's see them play like that!:greengrin:

ya, you're right....BUT... THE O-LINE IS SUPPOSED TO PROTECT BEN BEFORE THE PLAY TOO! who gives a shiat if they wanna fight after the whistle is blown?? it's too late and ben is already laying on the ground from being hit DURING the play.

ToothAche
09-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Sounds like we might be shooting ourselves in the foot on offesnse. All it takes is one penalty called on us for unsportsman-like conduct, just one, and we will have lost that battle two different ways. One, because they still put Ben in the turf, and two, cause we lost yards on the penalty.

I think this was a fine piece of lip-service by our beloved offensive line. Coach Tomlin asked someone to step up. But ultimatley, its still the same guys playing the line, they're just talking tough now. Proof is in the pudding. (whatever that means :question-1: )

yinzer
09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Sounds like we might be shooting ourselves in the foot on offesnse. All it takes is one penalty called on us for unsportsman-like conduct, just one, and we will have lost that battle two different ways. One, because they still put Ben in the turf, and two, cause we lost yards on the penalty.

I think this was a fine piece of lip-service by our beloved offensive line. Coach Tomlin asked someone to step up. But ultimatley, its still the same guys playing the line, they're just talking tough now. Proof is in the pudding. (whatever that means :question-1: )

:plus1:

memphissteelergirl
09-18-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm with TG....it's great to hear this coming from the O-line. I've said all along I want the "Steeler Swagger" back, perhaps the incident with fatazz Rogers was the thing that finally lit a fire under their collective backsides.

That said, though, it'll be interesting to see how long it will take to make good on their promises.

Stairwayto7
09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Talk is cheap, but I like thier attitude.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-18-2008, 11:10 AM
This is a good thing IMO!! During training camp, Colon and Simmons did alot talking too... defending their linemates and speaking on how confident the were in getting their job done. The results, a better line than most expected out of the gates.

And the fact that they realize that teams are gunning hard for Ben, and we are prepared to rectify that situation, is a good thing. Yeah i agree, best to stop pass rushers before they get to him, but you cant let ANYONE hit your QB late weather the ref calls it or not. Guys like Colon and Chris-K better be right there giving someone the BID'ness!

yinzer
09-18-2008, 12:17 PM
This is a good thing IMO!! During training camp, Colon and Simmons did alot talking too... defending their linemates and speaking on how confident the were in getting their job done. The results, a better line than most expected out of the gates.

And the fact that they realize that teams are gunning hard for Ben, and we are prepared to rectify that situation, is a good thing. Yeah i agree, best to stop pass rushers before they get to him, but you cant let ANYONE hit your QB late weather the ref calls it or not. Guys like Colon and Chris-K better be right there giving someone the BID'ness!

the o line can pat themselves on the back when they DON'T give up a sack. until then, i'm gonna guage them on their PLAY, not their yappers.

TEEMONT
09-18-2008, 12:26 PM
It's easy to talk. There is no reason at all that none of those O-lineman did absolutely jackshit after Ben was hit by Rodgers late. When I played in college as a freshman, and I was suprised to hear a coach say this, we were told to go after anyone who hit our QB, at anytime, and this was in practice against our own teammates. There was seriously nonstop fighting between the O and D lines during our camp.

This new attitude is good, you do not let people touch your QB, ever. Even if someone cleanly sacks your QB, you get in his face after the play, and the next play, u hit him low. If they continue to play Ole, then the Rooneys need to protect their investment..

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Well, lets see what happens. I would be happy if they just kept him from getting sacked while the play is live, let alone after the play. The hit that hurt Bens arm was clean. So for me, talk is cheap, and I want to see some action. I have never seen anyone come running to Bens aid on a late hit, but it would be nice if they started, or if they just kept it from happening. Keep Ben safe, thats all I ask. My daughter would be crushed if anything happened to him.

ejsteeler
09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Repetitive, I know but, talk is cheap. I do believe they wish to end it though and this is the kind of thing that can spark a line into action. Sure, they should have been there already, but if a little talk after only the second game gets them going, I'm all for it. :cope:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
I have said for sooooooo long that our offensive line was better than they were percieved to be.The media ragged them,a lot of thier own fans ragged them.Because they are set up to run the ball,doesn't mean they can't pass block too.Everyone was against them,and they are sick and tired of it.Can you blame them.Sure they have to prove it on the field,and i for one believe they are taking a step in the right direction.Ben has said all the way that he trusts them,to me that is the biggest testiment of all!!!!!!!If they want to lay somebody out cause they made a late hit on thier boy,i say if Tomlin doesn't mind,Then freakin do it!!!!!!F--K the penalty.They want to make a statement like this, i say you go boys. I think Ben needs to step out of the pocket a little sometimes too. Get some distance from the line. A lot of his sacks are real close to the line.When they decide to start running the no huddle,teams will back off,and the pressure will cease to exist.They have not needed that game plan yet,but by god they can impliment it pretty damn quick.It is up to Arians,and Ben to stop the Sh-t right now.If your line wants to back you up,half the battle is won already! If you want your quarterback to stop getting pounded,you have to take steps to make it stop.Arians has got to come up with plans that make that defense relax.Once they get burned enough times the message will be sent throughout the league.They have the ability to do that,make no mistake about it,and i say Philly is the chance to make the rest of the league aware of what can happen to you if you keep this pressure sh-t up. Mess with Steel and you get smelted!!!!!!!:tt02:

Stairwayto7
09-18-2008, 12:55 PM
I have said for sooooooo long that our offensive line was better than they were percieved to be.The media ragged them,a lot of thier own fans ragged them.Because they are set up to run the ball,doesn't mean they can't pass block too.Everyone was against them,and they are sick and tired of it.Can you blame them.Sure they have to prove it on the field,and i for one believe they are taking a step in the right direction.Ben has said all the way that he trusts them,to me that is the biggest testiment of all!!!!!!!If they want to lay somebody out cause they made a late hit on thier boy,i say if Tomlin doesn't mind,Then freakin do it!!!!!!F--K the penalty.They want to make a statement like this, i say you go boys. I think Ben needs to step out of the pocket a little sometimes too. Get some distance from the line. A lot of his sacks are real close to the line.When they decide to start running the no huddle,teams will back off,and the pressure will cease to exist.They have not needed that game plan yet,but by god they can impliment it pretty damn quick.It is up to Arians,and Ben to stop the Sh-t right now.If your line wants to back you up,half the battle is won already! If you want your quarterback to stop getting pounded,you have to take steps to make it stop.Arians has got to come up with plans that make that defense relax.Once they get burned enough times the message will be sent throughout the league.They have the ability to do that,make no mistake about it,and i say Philly is the chance to make the rest of the league aware of what can happen to you if you keep this pressure sh-t up. Mess with Steel and you get smelted!!!!!!!:tt02:

One of the good points here is about Arians, he has to help the line out by not being so predictable. This would help with their confidence.

steelerschick1220
09-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, I thought this was GREAT of our oline to say. Maybe seeing Rogers hit Ben lit a fire under them or something. I hope their talk isn't just cheap and it shows up on the field on sundays.

yinzer
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM

all we hear ben say is how he trusts his line. what's he gonna say??? that they are pieces of shiat that can't block his sister??? of course he's gonna praise them no matter what. in his mind he's probably cursing them all.

there are going to be times when the defense just makes the right call and gets to ben. qb's get sacked but shouldn't be happening 46 times a season! the o line is on pace to let ben get sacked 40 times this year.

K Train
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
the line has played very well imo, everyone shits their pants everytime they give up a sack but if ben takes one or two sacks a game.....thats a win for our guys imo. his style of play leads to that and so far they have been better than any of us thought

ejsteeler
09-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I haven't, nor will I, go back to try and find out how many times those sacks were actually Ben's fault. Considering the running we have done and the W's we came out with, I feel our O'line has had too much blame. Sure, they need to be better, but ben cannot hold onto the ball forever either. He is getting better about it and so are they. We have some very good times ahead of us I think. :yesnod:

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 02:27 PM
I haven't, nor will I, go back to try and find out how many times those sacks were actually Ben's fault. Considering the running we have done and the W's we came out with, I feel our O'line has had too much blame. Sure, they need to be better, but ben cannot hold onto the ball forever either. He is getting better about it and so are they. We have some very good times ahead of us I think. :yesnod: Ben was not holding onto that ball too long when Williams came from behind and broke him in half. That was the O-line. Sure he needs to get rid of the ball faster, but his back still needs to be covered.

I hope to see great things in the future too, but it wont happen with Ben if he gets to many thumpings like that. Williams is not the Best lineman we face this year, and things could go south in a hurry if we dont tighten that up.

AZ_Steeler
09-18-2008, 03:24 PM
making a prediction like that are some pretty big shoes to fill... I kind of like it though because they are really making themselves accountable now for Big Ben, the Steelers Franschise QB which if he goes down to any serious injury could really put a damper on the Steelers season because Leftwich isn't the answer to getting the Steelers to the playoffs.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Seems like everybody has stepped up instead of standing in the shadows of an over the hill whiner who's play on the field was subpar the last few seasons.
I'm liking what I'm reading, and more important, I'm liking what I'm seeing on the field with the guys in the trenches.
Faneca leaving was the best thing 4 the O-Line,I heard reports that Faneca was causing alot of trouble last year,I'm glad his whinning a** is gone,Kemo is an beast an he's only going 2 get better, we r better off with the people we have :yellowthumb::yellowthumb::tt02::cope:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-18-2008, 04:01 PM
the line has played very well imo, everyone shiats their pants everytime they give up a sack but if ben takes one or two sacks a game.....thats a win for our guys imo. his style of play leads to that and so far they have been better than any of us thought

I have to ride the K-train on this one. I predicted 38 sacks for the season.2 reserved for the supper bowl.They have the package to put in place. They have not yet.@ 2-0 what do you have to do? It's a team effort,and they all must perform.Special teams,coaching,offense,and defense. Lay off the o-line.They deserve some sort of reward as far as i am concerned. They are doing what they do,even though they may not be doing it best,they took a stance that said...Lay off of our QB. I commend them!!!!!!They are top of the line,doing what is ask of them. What more could you ask for?:tt02:

yinzer
09-18-2008, 04:06 PM
I have to ride the K-train on this one. I predicted 38 sacks for the season.2 reserved for the supper bowl.They have the package to put in place. They have not yet.@ 2-0 what do you have to do? It's a team effort,and they all must perform.Special teams,coaching,offense,and defense. Lay off the o-line.They deserve some sort of reward as far as i am concerned. They are doing what they do,even though they may not be doing it best,they took a stance that said...Lay off of our QB. I commend them!!!!!!They are top of the line,doing what is ask of them. What more could you ask for?:tt02:

the o line will get credit when they start protecting ben better. if they can't, they have a lot of work to do in the draft next year.

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 04:41 PM
the o line will get credit when they start protecting ben better. if they can't, they have a lot of work to do in the draft next year.
I think both O-line and D-line need to be looked at in the draft next year anyways. We need depth there. Are D-line is getting up there in age. We wont be picking up any free agents so the draft is where we do our business.

Mechem
09-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Ben was not holding onto that ball too long when Williams came from behind and broke him in half. That was the O-line. Sure he needs to get rid of the ball faster, but his back still needs to be covered.

Agreed, but thats Mario Williams.

I say the O-Line bossed up big against Houston. One player, their best I might add, gets Two Sacks, thats it. Two. Thats nothing.

Last years total sacks could have been in the 60s were it not for Ben's magic feet. But he could stand to throw a few away.

Also of note is the fact Roger Goodell just re-iterated the standards for contact in the NFL and sounds like hes probably going to be keeping an eye on it.

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 06:54 PM
2 Sacks are alot in one game. Brady was only sacked like 6 times all last season. One of those sacks almost cost us our QB for the year. But you are right, last year good have been 60+ sacks. Ben getting rid of the ball faster this year I think will be the only difference in the drop in that number. I dont see how this line will be better without the best gaurd in the league anymore....IMO

Stlrs4Life
09-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I want to see them transfer it onto the field, I don't want any lip service.

Troyisabeast_43
09-18-2008, 07:06 PM

The Steelers dont miss Faneca at all here so far these first 2 games. While Ben has been sacked a bunch of times so far, he is still overall getting very good protection and has had enough time to run around and do what he does best and improvize and make plays outside the pocket. Chris Kemo and Marvel Smith has been awesome the first 2 games, and it's obvious the run game with Fast Willie hasn't missed a beat seeing that Parker has 2 100 yard rushing games the first 2 weeks of the season. Have fun losing in New York with Brett Alan because while you're doing that this Steelers team will be winning the AFC North and be one of the favorites in the AFC to make it to the Super Bowl. This Steelers team doesn't miss Alan Faneca so far one single bit.

Mechem
09-18-2008, 07:12 PM
2 Sacks are alot in one game. Brady was only sacked like 6 times all last season. One of those sacks almost cost us our QB for the year. But you are right, last year good have been 60+ sacks. Ben getting rid of the ball faster this year I think will be the only difference in the drop in that number. I dont see how this line will be better without the best gaurd in the league anymore....IMO

Yeah brady had 6 sacks last year... And now his knee is gone. So doesnt matter much.

2 sacks feels like a lot cause ben dropped back all of what 14 times in game 1. So yeah that feels like a ton of hits. But its really very minor.

Truthfully, the Line has been doing better than it was at the end of last year. I recall the Jags owning our line massively. So far that hasnt happened.

We are 2-0. Thats all there is to it. Lines been good enough.

And if we keep connecting on the deep ball, then opposing defenses have to let off some to drop back and cover. Didnt you see after Ben hit those couple long shots in the second half the rushes died down and we were able to run. Its that simple, get that deep ball to holmes and party!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I just find it funny that the OL finally gets it that they have to look out for Ben...lol What was your first clue Willie Colon?.....If you QB gets hit late no shiat you have to do something about it...lol

I love when people say the OL isn't as bad as people say it is....Maybe some of the blame isn't warranted....But this is far from a great OL also people...lol Its an average OL and its strength is run blocking....But then again this OL doesn't have to be great just good enough.....

Talk is cheap and until I see this OL actually look out for their QB then I'm not buying it....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2008, 02:14 AM
It's game time today and we'll see just how bad these guys want to protect Ben. The eagles are more than capable of putting up a multi sack game so these guys better be ready. Lebeau and Johnson pretty much mirror each other in the way they run their defensive philosophy...attack.

Steelersfan
09-21-2008, 11:35 AM
For all those who have said the O-Line is better.......

Five sacks in two games projects to 40 for the season, down slightly, but his percentage of sacks are higher. Last season, counting sacks, he dropped back to pass 451 times and was sacked 10.42 percent of the time. This season, he dropped back 38 times and has been sacked 13.15 percent.Sure the number of sacks is down but the percentage is up and that is not a good thing. I'm not so sure I want to see Ben have to air it out with those numbers and until this line plays at least 2 quality games in pass protection I'll keep saying they aren't that good.

I got a feeling the Steelers will have to air it out some in todays game to beat Philly so we should get an idea of how well the line really is.

Clevelandsux
09-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Naturally lineman are going to try to take shots at Ben. Even sportswriters here in Cleveland admitted Rogers was certainly taking a hit on Ben.

TEEMONT
09-21-2008, 12:52 PM
For all those who have said the O-Line is better.......

Sure the number of sacks is down but the percentage is up and that is not a good thing. I'm not so sure I want to see Ben have to air it out with those numbers and until this line plays at least 2 quality games in pass protection I'll keep saying they aren't that good.

I got a feeling the Steelers will have to air it out some in todays game to beat Philly so we should get an idea of how well the line really is.

i have said it before, and I will say it again. When Ben gets sacked, I would be willing to bet 80% of Bens sacks come b/c of him holding the ball too long. Some of these sacks are on the WR's also.

Iron City South
09-21-2008, 01:00 PM
i have said it before, and I will say it again. When Ben gets sacked, I would be willing to bet 80% of Bens sacks come b/c of him holding the ball too long. Some of these sacks are on the WR's also.

Totally 100% agree. You guys create a thread bitching about the OL who has played well beyond the expectation many of us had of them to this point.

The OL doesn't tell Ben how long to hang onto the ball. You get a line that is giving a QB over 5 seconds to throw the ball ..... they're doing thier job.

TEEMONT
09-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Totally 100% agree. You guys create a thread bitching about the OL who has played well beyond the expectation many of us had of them to this point.

The OL doesn't tell Ben how long to hang onto the ball. You get a line that is giving a QB over 5 seconds to throw the ball ..... they're doing thier job.

Thats twice in a week you have agreed with me...whats the world coming to?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Ben has openly admitted that he does hold onto the ball too long at times, it's just how he plays. He has been working on that this offseason from what we heard previously. Still though Ben is a guy who plays much like Brett Favre does, he will wait until the last possible second to try and make a play and he's not afraid to force the issue if he has too. Ben is going to get his share of sacks during his career, partially because of how he plays but also because of what the OL does or does not do.

LarryNJ
09-21-2008, 06:20 PM
It has nothing to do with holding too long here today. He almost didn't have time for a hand off. The Eagles are just flying in there.

Iron City South
09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
It has nothing to do with holding too long here today. He almost didn't have time for a hand off. The Eagles are just flying in there.

Agree. Today was an absolute mauling. Our OL looked like Ned Beatty in the movie "The Deliverance" ....

Squeeeeeellllllllll ....

Stlrs4Life
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Like I said totally lip service. Our OL can basically go F$%JK themselves. Keep your mouth shut, and while you are at it, give this weeks paycheck back, cause you didn't earm it.

Stairwayto7
09-21-2008, 09:32 PM
tThe line is the worst! The biggest issue is that nothing can be done about it now. we didn`t address it in the off season enough, now its too late. This line is not good enough to get us deep into the playoffs. Hell they will not keep Ben healthy for 16 games.

mariners100
09-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Great job today... 8 sacks.. countless other hits... The hits keep on coming.

steelerschick1220
09-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I feel lied to. Cause that is basically what our oline did.

SteelerSteve
09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
**** our damn line. I'd rather have the bengals offensive line sneak into our uni's and out of pure hatred let the opposing guys have free hits at Ben because thats about what happened.:evilshake:

memphissteelergirl
09-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I feel lied to. Cause that is basically what our oline did.

Could not agree more, girl. Guess it was just lip service after all.

AZ_Steeler
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
The performance by the line was awful!!! Especially after they release a comment like this! Changes need to be made or the o-line just needs to get off the pot and block somebody!

I had the game Tivo'd so I was watching last night when we got home and I couldn't watch past halftime... It was just awful!!

mariners100
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Could not agree more, girl. Guess it was just lip service after all.

Anyone can say anything during the week but what counts is what happens on Sunday's and Monday's during the game.... I wish the O Line would stop talking to the papers and hit the practice field for a little longer before they get someone killed.

cybok0
09-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Like I said totally lip service. Our OL can basically go F$%JK themselves. Keep your mouth shut, and while you are at it, give this weeks paycheck back, cause you didn't earm it.

Agreed...but hey lets pay Starks 7 million and and don't let him start.

SteelerFan87
09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
So... maybe if they say they're going to just stand there and let the ravens get free hits on Ben, that means they'll actually end up blocking people?