PDA

View Full Version : Who's defense is better?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
The Eagles or the Steelers. both teams have a strong defense lead by legendary coaches. If you had to choose a secondary which one would you go with?

Lito Shepard, Asante Samuel, Brian Dawkins, and Sheldon Brown are a formidable unit however Dallas was able to pick them apart.Beyond those starters the depth is nothing impressive. They will put Samuel on the teams top WR and let him go 1 on 1 all day long. Dawkins still lays out a mean hit. The eagles front 7 can get pressure with their attacking style and different blitz packages. If you let them get going and they smell blood they'll eat you alive.

We all know our defense is all about pressure, if the pass rush doesn't get there we are in trouble. With Troy playing better and McFadden getting to show what he has, along with Ike having another year of experience and the leader Ryan Clark healthy again I do like our secondary's chances much more than I have the last 2 years. Our defense seems to be a feast or famine. Either you are going to march down the field on us or we're going to stop you after the 1st or 2nd series of the drive.

I like how we've been able to defend the red zone so far this year, that's an encouraging sign of a unit that knows when to tighten up in a tough spot.

PsychoWard
09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
there both good. philly MIGHT have a better secondary then us BUT our D line and linebackers got them hands down IMO!!! steelers all the way!

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Stroking all cylinders,i would say we are better in that dept.

DanRooney
09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't even think its a contest. Steelers win hands down. We have a better D-Line, linebackers, and safeties. Only edge they have is in corners.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-17-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't even think its a contest. Steelers win hands down. We have a better D-Line, linebackers, and safeties. Only edge they have is in corners.
:ditto:agree 1000%

LarryNJ
09-17-2008, 11:06 PM

That's it! :)

Their LB's and line are better this year but still not in the same class as our. Brian Dawkins can hit but he's not the great player he was a couple of years ago, I don't understand why they had him alone on TO Monday, just like he was on Holmes in our preseason game. Dawkins has taken a beating all week so I look for him to come back and have a strong game on Sunday. Mickel is above average and Considine just flat out sucks, whenever the Steelers have a big play on Sunday you'll see #37 3 yards away. Their 3 corners are way better than ours.

There's no doubt that these are 2 of the top defensive coordinators it will be fun to see what they come up with.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-17-2008, 11:24 PM
I think the play calling of the Steelers could set the tone for this game. I believe that our boys are holding back intentionally.Just an intuative feeling i have.We have not seen half of our weapons on offense that we can employ when needed,simply cause we did not need them.Doesn't mean they are not there. If we play a complete game,we are going to be a force to be reckoned with. The old don't write a check,if your bank can't cash it theory. If we have to go score for score,things could get mean and nasty. Then the pass rush starts to come your way.I still say the defens:tt02:e will win this game.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-18-2008, 04:21 AM
The talent level edge goes to the Steelers no question but the Eagles play very well and know how to execute Jim Johnson's defense. It's early to make a real accurate call but right now I'd say probably even with the edge going to Pittsburgh.

yinzer
09-18-2008, 07:17 AM
stiller defense all the way!!

ToothAche
09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
there both good. philly MIGHT have a better secondary then us BUT our D line and linebackers got them hands down IMO!!! steelers all the way!

Their secondary is good, but did you see Considine get burnt Monday night?? Im a big Considine fan considering he from my area and alot of his family lives in my town. Unfortunately, we lost a good defensive end to injury last week.

But, I dont think they have the depth we do. We cornered the market on Badasses

Stairwayto7
09-18-2008, 09:38 AM
I went with even. Since we`ve only played two games, Texans were`nt much of a challenge, and the weather in cleveland sucked. If clevelands DA were any good, were thier receivers open??????????

BlitzburghRockCity
09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Cleveland played in the same conditions we did and we managed to move the ball by whatever means was most efficient. It's too bad they couldn't handle the pressure. I make no excuses for that game, the weather sucked but it sucked for both teams, we just made the better play choices and executed better on both sides of the ball plain and simple.

Our D will get a stiff test on sunday, Im anxious to see guys like Timmons step up!

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
We are stronger, faster, and we hit better. Steelers Def is always in the top 5. No other team can say that.

steelerschick1220
09-18-2008, 12:21 PM

I would totally agree with that assessment. I think our D is better then theirs is, hands down.

LarryNJ
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
but did you see Considine get burnt Monday night?? Im a big Considine fan considering he from my area and alot of his family lives in my town.

Considine just flat out sucks, whenever the Steelers have a big play on Sunday you'll see #37 3 yards away.

He gets burnt a couple times every game. They should be proud that he made it to the NFL, but that's about it.

steelcityrockers
09-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Their DLine is vastly underrated (and ours is a smidge overrated) and though we do have better linebackers (by a fair margin) all of their's are big, young, and extremely athletic. DB's are close. They have better corners (easily. not taking anything away from Ike etc., but Philly's are just damned good.) We have better safeties. Troy is returning to form and Ryan Clark is good in his own right.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

We are stronger, faster, and we hit better. Steelers Def is always in the top 5. No other team can say that.

Tampa Bay has been in Top-10 every year but ONE since 1997.

Mechem
09-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Lol at the fact that this poll is on a burgh site....

Anyway, I think the Burgh wins it, but not by a lot.

Lemme break it down: (Category: PIT/PHI)
(Front line: B+/C+}, Who beats Casey Hampton at NT? Nobody.
Backers: A/B, Harrison is a monster, Woodleys a new star.
Corners: B-/A, Asante Samuel is a big pickup for them, Townsend is hurt.
Safeties: A-/A, Polamalu is back, but Ryan Clark isnt anything amazing.

Basically, I think the key to the Philadelphia defense has been good corners. That allows them to trust in 1 on 1 coverage, and allow extra blitzers. If you dont have superb corners, you cant do this. They do however have excellent secondary men and that is what makes them tough.

But I think our front 7 beats em by a good good bit.

At corner, I trust Ike Taylor, and I like McFadden. With Townsend hurting though we are kinda thin.

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Are defense is better in the match-up, IF, Timmons can contain Westbrook the entire game.

Stairwayto7
09-19-2008, 01:39 PM
We will find out Sunday, philly got their first real test last week, and failed, we havent been tested yet, this is our week

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 01:50 PM
We will find out Sunday, philly got their first real test last week, and failed, we havent been tested yet, this is our week

Cant wait!

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't put to many eggs into the Philly basket. We dont know how good Philly or Dallas really are. I know we dont know about the Steeler team either, but what we do know is that the Steelers are a hell of a lot tougher than any team coming out of the NFC. The only thing I think we can give Philly is that this game is at home for them. Other than that, the Steeler should bust them up. We have better players at almost every position, and lets face it, we are a nasty bunch of dudes. I really think we will be too much for Philly to handle for 60 minutes...IMO

Stairwayto7
09-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't put to many eggs into the Philly basket. We dont know how good Philly or Dallas really are. I know we dont know about the Steeler team either, but what we do know is that the Steelers are a hell of a lot tougher than any team coming out of the NFC. The only thing I think we can give Philly is that this game is at home for them. Other than that, the Steeler should bust them up. We have better players at almost every position, and lets face it, we are a nasty bunch of dudes. I really think we will be too much for Philly to handle for 60 minutes...IMO

Funny thing is I was just wondering if the tides are turning, is the NFC becoming the tougher division? Dallas, Philly, Giants, Packers.

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Funny thing is I was just wondering if the tides are turning, is the NFC becoming the tougher division? Dallas, Philly, Giants, Packers.
Yes the NFL made that announcement after Tom Brady got hurt.

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I saw them bring that up on NFL Network, and Marshall thinks so, I do not. This is a QB driven league and the AFC has the 3 best. Marshall is a restard because he played in the NFC. The Giants, Dallas, those guys are not beating up AFC teams, they have only played themselves or NFC, and the Rams are the worst team in the league. I would still put the top 6 AFC teams against the Top NFC. You cant argue that. You just cant. Sure the NFC is going to win games, but overall the top teams are still in the AFC.
Injury could play a huge part in the outcome of the season, but that will not give any shift in power for anything other than a season. The Colts Division I think head to head Beats Dallas's. The worst teams Texas-Washington...get crushed Skins...lol

If you look at stats even when the NFC was winning all those Superbowls in a 80's and mid 90's, the overall conference still was not as good as the AFC..FACT. The AFC has always won more games by almost double when playing against the NFC in the Regualr season...you can look that up. so there you have it, no there is no shift in power and there will not be anytime soon. Dont listen to sports announcers they are just trying to hype crap up. And dont buy into that fluke Superbowl win by the Giants either, 99 times out of 100, the Pats would have beat them by 21.

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 04:19 PM
The NFL loves money, merchandise makes money, the more alternative Jersys you have the more you will sell, Cowboys have 100 different jersys, therefore, the new dynasty to replace the Patriots is Dallas. And Dallas is is the NFC. Just wait untill the Romo/Simpson break-up. The NFL will be all over every magazine and website nation-wide. The NFL will rake in the dough.

........I hate to say it, but its true.

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 04:26 PM
The NFL loves money, merchandise makes money, the more alternative Jersys you have the more you will sell, Cowboys have 100 different jersys, therefore, the new dynasty to replace the Patriots is Dallas. And Dallas is is the NFC. Just wait untill the Romo/Simpson break-up. The NFL will be all over every magazine and website nation-wide. The NFL will rake in the dough.

........I hate to say it, but its true.
I think before you go putting a crown on Romo you might want to wait until he wins 1 playoff game. Bringing in money is one thing, but a shift in the conferences is another.

ToothAche
09-19-2008, 04:43 PM
My thoughts exactly Dean, but its so hard to resist his boyish dimples, and he is dating Jessica Simpson, and he plays for America's Team. The league kisses Jerry Jones' @ss. Mark my words, the Dallas Cowboys are the new Patriots. I hate both teams, so lets just hope our Steelers can proove the major media, and my own theory wrong.

Dean Denton
09-19-2008, 05:01 PM
My thoughts exactly Dean, but its so hard to resist his boyish dimples, and he is dating Jessica Simpson, and he plays for America's Team. The league kisses Jerry Jones' @ss. Mark my words, the Dallas Cowboys are the new Patriots. I hate both teams, so lets just hope our Steelers can proove the major media, and my own theory wrong. If the Cowboys win a Superbowl, then you will be right. But alot can happen to keep them from that. This is far from the Cowboys team that won those rings in the 90's. But you are right, Romo is a sweet little sissy with dimples, and it drives girls crazy. But, the Steelers are still the #1 seller when it comes to women and the gear. We have been #1 for a great many years now. And where have you been? NFL network did a pole last year for Americas team and the Steelers won by a land slide, with the Packers being #2. The Cowboys claim they are, and my dad can not figure out where that came from, but its retarded. They are a sideshow. They are the Raiders with a better owner. There a new t-shirt at best. Nothing they do will last. Too many misfits on that team. As soon as they lose another big game the romance between T.O and Romo will be over.

Stlrs4Life
09-20-2008, 12:07 AM
We wouldn't be biased now would we? LOL.

ToothAche
09-20-2008, 07:52 AM
If the Cowboys win a Superbowl, then you will be right. But alot can happen to keep them from that. This is far from the Cowboys team that won those rings in the 90's. But you are right, Romo is a sweet little sissy with dimples, and it drives girls crazy. But, the Steelers are still the #1 seller when it comes to women and the gear. We have been #1 for a great many years now. And where have you been? NFL network did a pole last year for Americas team and the Steelers won by a land slide, with the Packers being #2. The Cowboys claim they are, and my dad can not figure out where that came from, but its retarded. They are a sideshow. They are the Raiders with a better owner. There a new t-shirt at best. Nothing they do will last. Too many misfits on that team. As soon as they lose another big game the romance between T.O and Romo will be over.

..........................the self-destruction factor, never thought of that.

Stairwayto7
09-21-2008, 08:08 AM
HMMMMMmmmm A STEELERS vs. cowboys SuperBowl. Mr. Woodley and Mr. Harrison could show pretty bot romo a thing or two

Clevelandsux
09-21-2008, 01:55 PM
If Philly's dee is soooo great how come they gave up 41 points on monday night?

steelcitysfinestXL
09-21-2008, 02:49 PM
If Philly's dee is soooo great how come they gave up 41 points on monday night?

Easy, they didnt get to Romo! Pass protection is gonna be KEY in this game. They blitz ALOT of players from every position esp from their secondary.They like leaving 2 great corners to man up and Dawkins to play deep. Dallas kept Romo upright all day and he found open men often. If Kemo and the boys can hold their own against Phillys front 4, Ben can really exploit the void left by blitzing players from the secondary. For as much talk you hear about Johnson led D's in PHI being great at blitzing, they have zero sacks in the first two weeks!

If we gameplan at all for this game, you should see alot of outlets/checkdowns/screens for big gains from Ben. If he tries to hold the ball all damn day he's gonna have to be carted off the field!