PDA

View Full Version : Containing McNabb is they key to victory

JensK
09-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Tomlin: We must contain McNabb
Wednesday, September 17, 2008

By BOB LABRIOLA

Steelers.com

During his news conference at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on Tuesday, Coach Mike Tomlin spoke of a quarterback who is playing very well right now, who is a key to his team’s fortunes every week, who is exceptional at throwing the deep ball, who is special when plays break down.

Tomlin could have been talking about his quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, but instead he was referring to Philadelphia’s Donovan McNabb.

“We have to go on the road again into another hostile environment in Philadelphia, and everyone is aware the Eagles are a very good football team,” said Tomlin. “If you watched a little bit of television last night, you see what the guy in the center is capable of. I think it starts with him when you talk about Philadelphia. Donovan McNabb is obviously very good and obviously very healthy. He’s throwing the deep ball as well as I have ever seen him throw it. We have to contain this man. When plays break down, he is special.”

Those who were watching television on Monday night likely saw McNabb complete 25-of-37 for 281 yards and a touchdown, while also running five times for 20 more yards, in a close loss to the Cowboys in Dallas. After two games, that means McNabb is 46-of-70 (65.7 percent) for 642 yards, with four touchdowns and no interceptions.

McNabb’s passer rating of 114.1 is sixth in the NFL; Roethlisberger’s 136.3 puts him first.

But while Tomlin has no worries about Roethlisberger this week – “I just met with him and he said he feels better this week than he did a week ago, which is good” – there is plenty for him to worry about when it comes to defending McNabb.

Two games into his 10th NFL season, McNabb should finish this season as the holder of every Eagles franchise passing record, and he already is No. 1 in wins with 74. His next touchdown pass will move him past Ron Jaworski into the top spot in that category with 176, and only injuries can prevent him from moving into first place in attempts, completions and yards by the end of 2008.

Injuries have ruined three of McNabb’s seasons – a broken ankle cost him the final six games of 2002; a sports hernia landed him on injured reserve in 2005 and a torn ACL put him back on IR in 2006. But as Tomlin said, McNabb is very healthy right now, and he has been moving around very well for a man who will be 32 on Nov. 11 with 114 NFL starts on his resume.

McNabb never would be lumped into the group at his position who have been labeled “running quarterbacks,” because that designation typically carries with it a disdain for the guy’s skills as a passer. But with 2,962 career rushing yards, a 6.0 average and 24 touchdowns, McNabb also is a guy who can beat an opponent with his feet.

“He is the kind of quarterback that you attempt to keep in the pocket, but if he is committed to exiting the pocket, then he probably has a chance to do it,” said Tomlin. “We have to deal with him because his talents are special. He can throw in the pocket, and he can throw on the move. As I mentioned earlier, he is throwing his deep ball extremely well and he has great touch; he is a great player.”

Currently on the wrong side of 30, and with the Eagles having picked a quarterback on the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft, one might assume McNabb’s prime has passed. Tomlin would disagree with that assumption, and the fact McNabb already has completed seven passes this season of 20-plus yards would serve to support his contention.

“I think that if you have it, you have it. I remember when I first came into the league as a position coach and watched Randall Cunningham warm up, and he would drop those 60-yard bombs into the back corner of the end zone during warm-ups. It was kind of intimidating,” said Tomlin. “Randall was at the end (of his career), but this guy is not at the end. He is just a good veteran player who throws a good deep ball.”

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2008, 07:05 AM
McNugget isn't going to take off and run for 70 yds a game like he used too; he's good for a couple scrambles a game though. If the pocket breaks down he can run but it's as potent as it used to be. I would suspect the Steelers will have one of the middle linebackers keep an eye on him to make sure that we have someone in place in case he takes off but I wouldn't suspect we have an all out spy that follows him wherever he goes.

yinzer
09-17-2008, 07:24 AM
i have no doubt that ol' Dickey Lebeau has something up his sleeve. i just hope he doesn't play that stupid QB Spy defense he did the last time. it burned us.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree that containing McNabb and keeping him in the pocket is important, but I'm more concerned about Westbrook than him. If the Steelers don't keep Westbrook in check, it's going to be a very long day.

Stairwayto7
09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
mcnabb will lose this week, AFC needs to get back to being the superior division

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
I agree that containing McNabb and keeping him in the pocket is important, but I'm more concerned about Westbrook than him. If the Steelers don't keep Westbrook in check, it's going to be a very long day.

Westbrook is the key to that whole offense. He's a threat from anywhere he lines up. If the defense can maintain their gaps you can keep him in check but if you start to break down he'll eat you alive. Westbrook will get his yards no matter who they play but we have to keep him from running wild all day.

Dean Denton
09-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I dont see DM being the issue. I know our Def will do their job. Its our O-line, and the protection of Ben that makes me worried. Dallas has a better O-line than us, and they were getting good pressure on Romo. He still threw for 9,000 yards but they were getting in there.

AZ_Steeler
09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
This looks like a good week to really unleash Troy and have him shadow McNabb all over the field.

Dean Denton
09-17-2008, 01:42 PM
This looks like a good week to really unleash Troy and have him shadow McNabb all over the field.
He will be dont, worry about that. Troy will be on it. Looks like Troy stands alone as the Best Saftey in the AFC again. Sanders is out 4-6 weeks....

ejsteeler
09-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Is it just me, or does Troy look beefed up this year? His legs specifically look bigger than they have in the past. More power to drive them to the ground. :cope:

Dean Denton
09-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Is it just me, or does Troy look beefed up this year? His legs specifically look bigger than they have in the past. More power to drive them to the ground. :cope:
Maybe its all that ball room dancing he's been doing.....lol

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-17-2008, 02:39 PM

He's looking real solid this year...Even though he throws his body around like a crazy madman he's as smart as they come.I don't think people realize how crucial that pick was in the 1st half.It wasn't a bad pass but an excellent read and jump on the ball by Troy.Hopefully he remains healthy this year..cuz we are definately gonna need him.:crossfingers:

HUNT4SEVEN
09-17-2008, 03:41 PM
I c another 2004 result coming for us again against them Eagles.

Brady Quinn
09-17-2008, 04:06 PM
WESTBROOK IS THE KEY. HE IS THE RUNNING GAME AND THE PASSING GAME.

SteelD43
09-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I am with Lone Wolf on this thread....the eagles WR's are avg at best which puts even more emphasis on using Westbrook in multiple situations...Mcnabb was slipping out of Dallas' grip all night. I say just try to keep him pressured but main focus should be on Westbrook

Troyisabeast_43
09-17-2008, 06:08 PM
He will be dont, worry about that. Troy will be on it. Looks like Troy stands alone as the Best Saftey in the AFC again. Sanders is out 4-6 weeks....

Funny how nobody on these boards are yapping about Troy being overrated and how his game has dropped off, and how he is complete garbage these first 2 games. Troy has been dominating these first 2 games and has an interception in each game and has done a great job on confusing the opposing teams offense. It's safe to say the old Troy is back and is once again causing disruption and is a big big factor to why this defense is playing so well these first 2 games..

DBR96A
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
He's looking real solid this year...Even though he throws his body around like a crazy madman he's as smart as they come.I don't think people realize how crucial that pick was in the 1st half.It wasn't a bad pass but an excellent read and jump on the ball by Troy.Hopefully he remains healthy this year..cuz we are definately gonna need him.:crossfingers:

It looked like a bad pass to me. Polamalu had to slide to catch it.

Stlrs4Life
09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I agree, containing McNabb is key.

Dean Denton
09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Funny how nobody on these boards are yapping about Troy being overrated and how his game has dropped off, and how he is complete garbage these first 2 games. Troy has been dominating these first 2 games and has an interception in each game and has done a great job on confusing the opposing teams offense. It's safe to say the old Troy is back and is once again causing disruption and is a big big factor to why this defense is playing so well these first 2 games.. Yeah, when I first got here a couple weeks ago I thought I made the mistake and signed up on a Ravens forum the way Troy was getting Gang Jacked by everyone. I remember telling everyone to give him a chance, and I cant believe had even had to do that. I would assume that most people here have played ball before, and or played some kind of sport, and hurt themselves and been on the shelf for a while. No one wants to ride the pine, but Injuries take time. Especially Ankle, and knee's.

Now I am not going to say that Troy will play the entire year because he fly's around like a Berserker on Perkasets, and trys killing someone on every play. But he has looked better so far than he has since the Superbowl season.
Like I said, I will always stand by these players. Hell, man, I told my Dad about all the Troy bashing, and he laughed and said, "Send him to Oakland if you guys dont want him."

mariners100
09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
We need to not only contain McNabb but Westbrook is the biggest threat this week. He has been tearing up Dallas and He's my player to watch.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Funny how nobody on these boards are yapping about Troy being overrated and how his game has dropped off, and how he is complete garbage these first 2 games. Troy has been dominating these first 2 games and has an interception in each game and has done a great job on confusing the opposing teams offense. It's safe to say the old Troy is back and is once again causing disruption and is a big big factor to why this defense is playing so well these first 2 games..

The ones that were "yapping" about Troy were the same ones that wanted him to succeed just as much as the rest but they know he's playing well now so there's no real complaints. I said from the beginning this was a make or break year for Troy with us, it's early but so far he's getting back to the Troy we all love to see, our defense is a better defense when he's playing at his peak.

PsychoWard
09-17-2008, 10:13 PM
We are going to get to Mcnabb theres no question!! i think the biggest thing here is westbrook!!! he had one hell of a game againest a solid defense last week. If we can contain westbrook (which I know we can) that will decide the game!

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-18-2008, 01:28 AM
The ones that were "yapping" about Troy were the same ones that wanted him to succeed just as much as the rest but they know he's playing well now so there's no real complaints. I said from the beginning this was a make or break year for Troy with us, it's early but so far he's getting back to the Troy we all love to see, our defense is a better defense when he's playing at his peak.

I never gave Troy any disrespect,but he has shown up,and that has to be a plus.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
My take is that Tomlin is covering up for somthing that he started last year. Sure defense wins games.The whole organization drafted offensive personel this year,and everyone wondered why? I LIKE MIKE!!! When he decides to unleash his offense on the opposing team,it could be ugly quick. He is known for his defensive endeavers,but he has a man in place to take care of that part of the game. Lots of people cut on the O-Line.Tomlin had another take on it. Use what ya got and make it work! A lot of credit has to go to Bill Cower for having these players in place when Mike came in for his interview.I don't know what to say about Max,but he is there for some reason,that is even eluding me.Lotta money ta pay for somebody ya ain't even gonna use.....till the end of the season. Max is not a pass blocker.He is a run blocker.Matter of fact thier whole line is built for running the ball.Then they draft Rushard!!!!!!Mike had a leg up.He had Big Ben too!

yinzer
09-18-2008, 08:41 AM
WESTBROOK IS THE KEY. HE IS THE RUNNING GAME AND THE PASSING GAME.

u still hanging around here, quinn?? haven't you had enough steeler beatdowns?? :greengrin:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-18-2008, 11:26 AM
u still hanging around here, quinn?? haven't you had enough steeler beatdowns?? :greengrin:

He wants to be where the action is.Sure ain't none in cleveland!!!!!!!

LatrobePA
09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
He wants to be where the action is.Sure ain't none in cleveland!!!!!!!

LOL, stains are bad but their head coach is much much worse than them....F the browns and their gay *** fans!!:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Can you say salty??? LOL

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
We need to not only contain McNabb but Westbrook is the biggest threat this week. He has been tearing up Dallas and He's my player to watch.
Great players are going to make plays. Westbrook will get his, but over all that knuckle head will be kept in check. He will not get over 50 yards rushing. We just need to watch him on screens. I wouldn't be worried about the Offense as much as I would the Defense. We need to worry about keeping Ben up on his feet. We do that, we crush this team.

portcityblackandgold
09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm looking for big games from Woodley and Troy P. No defense really contains Westbrook you just have to keep him in check.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Its kinda pick your poison when Phillys o is on the field. One thing is for sure, you have a much better chance beating Philly when you keep westbrook in check. We must consistantly put 11 guys on the field that CAN tackle... and GANG tackle. One guy trying to tackle Westbrook in the open field is like pissing in the wind!