PDA

View Full Version : Steelers in Philly...

Dean Denton
09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I just found out that the Steelers have not won in Philly since 1965, and have lost 7 straight. All the games were decided by 7 points or less. Great, if we didn't have enough going on without getting that stat thrown in my face.
Ben is 1-0 against Philly, and should be up to the challenge. You know how he likes to win in new places.

Why has no one brought this up? I hate surprises....lol:cursin:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
That is just the way it is.Last time they won in philly i was 4 years old. It was at the old Franklin field.I tried to warn that this game is not going to be a cake walk by any means.With the loss they had last night against the cowboys,i don't see this game getting any easier either.But that was then,and this is now. We still do not know what type of game we can bring yet.I think we have a pretty solid team all around,and we may have to show our "Metal" against these guys.We all know the what the "Metal" is....STEEL baby!!!!!!! We are actually pretty close as far as the offense goes. The defense i believe will tell the story on this one. Contain and bring the heat.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
We hardly ever play Philadelphia so stats like this don't mean anything. Both teams are worlds ahead of where they were last time either of us played either other. Circumstances are different, many players are different, this is just another game on the schedule for both teams. In the case of the Steelers though this is the first real test against a quality opponent so we'll find out a lot of how well we do.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-16-2008, 08:07 PM
We hardly ever play Philadelphia so stats like this don't mean anything. Both teams are worlds ahead of where they were last time either of us played either other. Circumstances are different, many players are different, this is just another game on the schedule for both teams. In the case of the Steelers though this is the first real test against a quality opponent so we'll find out a lot of how well we do.

thats why you are the top gun! Way to break it down dude!!!!!!!!

Blitzburgh55
09-16-2008, 08:09 PM
i went to the last steeler-eagles game i was 6 at the time i think it was my first game i ever went to

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
i went to the last steeler-eagles game i was 6 at the time i think it was my first game i ever went to

the last game aye you were 6?So what are you now 8?,9? now.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Im looking forward to this game; the Eagles always play the Cowboys tough but regardless both of them are quality opponents. Jim Johnson runs an attacking defense just like Lebeau does so both teams are going to get after the QB and pressure like crazy.

OC Steel Curtain
09-16-2008, 08:38 PM
The Eagles havent seen a team this year that is going to smash their face play after play after play.. also Dallas has them physically and mentally drained after a loss like that

Steelerlyn
09-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Romo had problems with the Eagles D on Monday night

Good luck, Ben

DanRooney
09-16-2008, 09:08 PM

Good luck, Ben

:willybs: Do you watch football? 0 for 2 on posts I've seen so far.

steelerschick1220
09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
It should be a pretty good game. I think our team will be up for the task of winning in Philly. Hopefully it is a good game and we come out on top!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-16-2008, 09:29 PM

I agree you can't put to much stock in a stat like that...But at the same time its interesting to say the least why the Steelers can never win in Philly....:lol:

The 1979 Steelers who were the defending Super Bowl champs and went on to repeat as we all know lost in Philly that season 17-14 That team only lost 4 games that season and one of them was in Philly...Again its just interesting to me...I don't put much stock into it...

I agree the circumstances are different from the last time these teams faced each other....

Ben was a rookie in 2004....TO screamed at McNabb along the sidelines during the beat down the Steelers gave the Eagles in Pittsburgh that day....Duce Staley was injured and Bettis filled in and had a great game....Which Bettis went on to carry the running game the rest of the season.....after he started the season as really just the goal line/short yardage back....

Playing in Philly and facing a Jim Johnson blitz defense is never easy...But I say first play of the game hit a quick slant to Holmes or throw it deep to Holmes....Steelers have ran the ball 80 percent of the time on first down this year...I say its time to mix it up.....:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2008, 09:42 PM
:iagree: man, if there was a ever a time early in the season when the offense needs to be on their toes it's now. Jim Johnson defenses are no joke, if Lebeau wasn't our DC I'd want Johnson in there. If we come out trying to establish the run or just line up and let Ben drop back like normal it's not the right approach. With a defense like Philly they are fast so you have to beat them at their own game, hit the quick rhythm passes, take a few shots down the field and loosen them up. If you don't they'll just start crowding the line and completely take you out of your game plan. You can always incorporate the run throughout the game, in fact you'll need to but I'd love to see us come out firing and get going early. Quick short throws, stuff that lets Ben roll out and find the down field guys and keep the pressure off him.

Dallas had the right idea, attack them right out of the gate and don't let up. If you become predictable you'll get eaten alive. We've got enough weapons that no defense can cover everybody so you have to use what you got and make things happen. This could very well be a shootout next sunday and the team that makes the crucial mistake is going to pay for it just like the Eagles did, that turnover in the 4th quarter sealed the deal.

yinzer
09-16-2008, 10:22 PM
:iagree: man, if there was a ever a time early in the season when the offense needs to be on their toes it's now. Jim Johnson defenses are no joke, if Lebeau wasn't our DC I'd want Johnson in there. If we come out trying to establish the run or just line up and let Ben drop back like normal it's not the right approach. With a defense like Philly they are fast so you have to beat them at their own game, hit the quick rhythm passes, take a few shots down the field and loosen them up. If you don't they'll just start crowding the line and completely take you out of your game plan. You can always incorporate the run throughout the game, in fact you'll need to but I'd love to see us come out firing and get going early. Quick short throws, stuff that lets Ben roll out and find the down field guys and keep the pressure off him.

Dallas had the right idea, attack them right out of the gate and don't let up. If you become predictable you'll get eaten alive. We've got enough weapons that no defense can cover everybody so you have to use what you got and make things happen. This could very well be a shootout next sunday and the team that makes the crucial mistake is going to pay for it just like the Eagles did, that turnover in the 4th quarter sealed the deal.

it all starts with our o line. can willy tear it up sunday? yes. can ben pick them apart? yes. it's more of a matter of how well our line can protect ben. i'd be happy as all hell to see us come out on first down and ben launching down the field but i doubt it. our record is something like 20-3 when willie has at least a hundo on the ground. let's force it down their throats and make them stop our run.

LarryNJ
09-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Dallas has them physically and mentally drained after a loss like that

That's a great point. A very emotional game ending in a loss, traveling home all night and a short week all add up to an advantage for the Steelers. The Eagles D isn't that great, Dawkins was terrible last night looking old and like he lost a step or 2. They will bring the heat but I'm confident that Ben will read it and have a big day. The Eagles O will score some points, Westbrook is one of the top backs in the NFL, McNabb is looking as good as he has since the TO year, their O line is huge and very good, but their recievers & TE are average at best. DeSean Jackson has had 2 100 yard games and is the only real threat at WR. He thinks he's TO but is only 170# and has only been hit hard once this year. Hopefully the Steelers will welcome him to the NFL.

I'll say 28-24 Steelers.

Steelerlyn
09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
:willybs: Do you watch football? 0 for 2 on posts I've seen so far.

No, I don't watch football or go to games.....never have. You are really smart!~ :)

DanRooney
09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
No, I don't watch football or go to games.....never have. You are really smart!~ :)

Yeah I thought so. Thanks for clarifying. Romo really struggled against that Philly D. I mean he only put up 300 some yards with 3 touchdowns :lol:

DBR96A
09-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I just found out that the Steelers have not won in Philly since 1965, and have lost 7 straight. All the games were decided by 7 points or less. Great, if we didn't have enough going on without getting that stat thrown in my face.
Ben is 1-0 against Philly, and should be up to the challenge. You know how he likes to win in new places.

Why has no one brought this up? I hate surprises....lol:cursin:

Did CBS mention it? If not, then I hope they create a graphic for it during the game on Sunday. CBS has a special way of graphically illustrating a trend, only to have it end soon thereafter. :greengrin:

TEEMONT
09-17-2008, 12:11 AM

Good luck, Ben

and when did he have problems? When he was putting up enough points to combine for themost 1st half points in a Monday night game? Or when they scored the most points in dallas/eagles history....or close to it?

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I thought so. Thanks for clarifying. Romo really struggled against that Philly D. I mean he only put up 300 some yards with 3 touchdowns :lol:

dont argue with lyn, she's a super smart person, and knows more about football than anyone on this site.....lol.

Lyn is here for social aspects...not to talk real football.

BlitzburghNation
09-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Well Romo had some mishaps with a fumble in the endzone and an int.

But overall he had a good game,especially for FF owners, with 312 yds passing and 3 td's

Philly could'nt keep the pressure on,,,,,,Couple of plays he had enough time to http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/smostle/smileys/c026.gif Too bad,I was really pulling for Philly and they almost pulled it off,,,,,,

God I hate Dall--:moon: and Mr. load mouth T--the ho !!!

But they are a talented team,,,,,,Love the way barber runs & witten is an elite TE,,,,,with that said,I Hope Green Bay :spank: that :moon: next Sun. night

We are gonna have a really tough game against them birds,,,,,Sure hope our line protects Ben,,,,,,,especially with his bad shoulder :crossfingers:

Dean Denton
09-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Did CBS mention it? If not, then I hope they create a graphic for it during the game on Sunday. CBS has a special way of graphically illustrating a trend, only to have it end soon thereafter. :greengrin:
It was on ESPN during my 2pm break yesterday. I told my dad, who is from Oakland, and a huge Raider fan...But he said it did not matter that Steelers have not won there in 40 years because the Steelers will smoke the Eagles. He said the Eagles have no "D" at all, and the Steelers are the BEST team in Football. They are the only team in the AFC with Balance on both sides of the ball. Its because of him that I love the Raider-Steelers games. My dad wishes he had what we do right now. He thinks it will be a tough game in the first half because our O-line is going to have fits with JJ defense, but after half time we will make the adjustments to take over.

He thinks it will be 34-17, Steelers running away in the 2nd half.

steelerschick1220
09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
^ I like the way your dad thinks.........LOL. I think it will be a close game. I am going to say the Steelers win 27-24. Ben drives us down the field to get a last second field goal.

Dean Denton
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
^ I like the way your dad thinks.........LOL. I think it will be a close game. I am going to say the Steelers win 27-24. Ben drives us down the field to get a last second field goal.
Yeah, he thinks its going to be a mugging. So do I. I just think our Def is too tough. I would be shocked if Philly scored more than 17 points. They can put up points against NFC teams, but I dont see them doing this against the Steelers or the Ravens.
The Browns and Cinci are another story....lol

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-17-2008, 08:19 PM
I think that if we are on top of our game in every phase,we have a good shot of passing our first real test of beating a quality nfc team. Special teams,defense,coaching,and offense must be on the same page to ride out of Philly with the win. History does not write the script for the present,but the history is there.Tomlin has a chance to shine too! He no doubt wants to take his best team and pay a call on that Philly team.They are no harm to us in our division,but that PA. bragging right would go a long way for building the confidence of this team.I even think we may see some players that have not been a factor thus far in this game. Tomlin knows the game of football. Rashard may be used this week.Just my thoughts.

Dean Denton
09-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I think that if we are on top of our game in every phase,we have a good shot of passing our first real test of beating a quality nfc team. Special teams,defense,coaching,and offense must be on the same page to ride out of Philly with the win. History does not write the script for the present,but the history is there.Tomlin has a chance to shine too! He no doubt wants to take his best team and pay a call on that Philly team.They are no harm to us in our division,but that PA. bragging right would go a long way for building the confidence of this team.I even think we may see some players that have not been a factor thus far in this game. Tomlin knows the game of football. Rashard may be used this week.Just my thoughts. I see Tomlin putting together a game plan that crushes Philly. I really think we have a better offense than Dallas, maybe not a better o-line, but better overall. Philly's game plan worked against Dallas, but I do not see something like that working against us. They are not going to grind us out this early in the season, so I dont see where they beat us. They dont have the weapons on Offense to spread us out and make us pay. They will be forced to be one dimensional, then its over. These Steelers are far too good, and Philly and their QB are getting to much praise for beating the Rams, then losing to Dallas.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
I think that if we are on top of our game in every phase,we have a good shot of passing our first real test of beating a quality nfc team. Special teams,defense,coaching,and offense must be on the same page to ride out of Philly with the win. History does not write the script for the present,but the history is there.Tomlin has a chance to shine too! He no doubt wants to take his best team and pay a call on that Philly team.They are no harm to us in our division,but that PA. bragging right would go a long way for building the confidence of this team.I even think we may see some players that have not been a factor thus far in this game. Tomlin knows the game of football. Rashard may be used this week.Just my thoughts.

I agree :yellowthumb:...last week's weather limited our playbook to about one page...this week it will be on like donkey kong.