PDA

View Full Version : Why is Mendenhall only returning kicks?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2008, 01:26 AM
The dude is a 1st round draft pick, we need to get him out on the field. He's had exactly 10 rushing attempts in 2 games. I know Willie is the unquestioned starter on this team and that's as it should be. He's earned it and he's playing very well so far this year. He's got 53 carries so far to Rashard's 10?

If we brought this guy in to spell Willie then why not get him some significant playing time. Perhaps he's still a bit in the dog house with the fumbles from preseason or maybe the game plan just hasn't presented itself with time for him to get on the field. Either way this kid can be something special but he needs experience. Why not stick him in for a series or 2 each week and let's watch him start making an impact. Maybe he just gets 10 touches a game so far, or 15. Sometimes more or less depending on how the game unfolds.

Personally I don't think he's real suited to be out there returning kicks anyways but atleast he's on the field doing something. Yeah I know we're heading into week 3 but if God forbid something would happen to force Willie to the sidelines then it would help to have your star backup atleast know which direction the first down marker is in :rolleyes:

DIESELMAN
09-16-2008, 02:27 AM
I think it has a lot to do with FWP's performance coming back from a broken leg and his fumbling in the preseason. Granted Rashard is a 1st rounder but he still has to earn his way onto the field, fumbling like he did cut his time down.

Zachintosh66
09-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Well game 2 was windy and rainy... and hes hasnt proved he can hold onto the ball. So putting him in those conditions is gonna work.

Plus Willie has been playing excellent...

NOVA STEELERS
09-16-2008, 07:43 AM
:ditto: IMO the conditions keep Mendenhall from getting more playing time then he did. I see his time picking up as we move deeper into the schedule, he is too good to be on the bench while the offense is on the field.

ToothAche
09-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Fresh legs in the playoffs can be the answer to beating teams with big D-Line. I see the Steelers using Mendenhall by week 12 in some of their more exotic formations.

yinzer
09-16-2008, 08:10 AM
they gotta let mendy get some momentum. they just can't throw him in there once every 2 games and expect him to do anything. i think arians' is a friggin idiot. i know it's more his decision than tomlin's. i'm starting to see some trends from 2007 and i'm not liking it.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2008, 09:27 AM
If they gave him about 10 touches a game just to start out with atleast that would be good right now. Figuring the conditions were going to suck and having a wet,slippery football maybe Tomlin doesn't have the confidence in Mendenhall yet from his fumbling in preseason but still the kid has to learn sometime. Running backs need time to get into the flow of the game, if Willie loosens them up then get him in there for a couple series each game. He's good out of the backfield too which gives Ben another weapon.

yinzer
09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
rashard has got to be somewhat frustrated by this. he has some idea that his coaches might not have faith in him holding onto the ball. i'm just worried this will mentally affect him.

NOVA STEELERS
09-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Rashard Mendenhall: Not Ready for Prime Time

Update: Pittsburgh limited Mendenhall to special teams play Sunday night in Cleveland.
Recommendation: With the dicey weather conditions, coach Mike Tomlin decided to keep Mendenhall off of the field during all of Pittsburgh’s offensive snaps. The first-year running back muffed one of his two kickoff returns and contributed little to the Steelers’ success. At some point Mendenhall will become fantasy relevant, but that’s certainly not yet the case.

RotoWire**

steelcitysfinestXL
09-16-2008, 09:44 AM
In week one we heard from players that they ran a very vanilla offense and defense... almost preseason like. We didnt see much more in Week 2 either. I expect to see ALOT more in week 3 because i dont expect us to totally dominate McNabb and Phillys "O" like we did in weeks 1&2.

He got 10 carries in week one cause it was a blow out and we saw early willie was back to form. In week 2 he had zero carries because it was a close game, and he hasnt proven he has rectified his ball security issues. Add that to the weather we had and its not too suprising he didnt get any carries!

$teelersRule
09-16-2008, 10:02 AM
he is a number one pick! we should not really be giving him this many excuses like the ball was wet so they did not trust him. thats unacceptable :nono: look at johnathan stewart, darren mcfadden, felix jones, and johnson from tenn., they are all playing great. mendenhall has had 10 carries for what 28 yards? and on top or that our number 2,3,4 all did not even suit up either! i know its REALLY early but this draft is not looking as good as it did before the season started. i have not heard the name bruce davis once since before training camp... is that guy even still breathing?

steelcitysfinestXL
09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
1. McFadden is getting huge carries cause Fargas is hurt and they knew nothing about michael Bush until this offseason.
2. Jonathan Stewart, is the back up to unproven DeAngelo Williams. Carolina really cloudnt/cant lean on Williams to be "the guy". He showed flashes of greatness in the mist of mediocracy and a total of 2 starts in his career.
3.Felix Jones has two more carries than Mendenhall. The diference is he averaged over 6ypc... mende a lil better than 2ypc
4. Chris Johnson is a straight beast. I said it since January. I doesnt hurt that VY is out in Tenn., Lindell White is once again out of shape, and Johnson is right now the best offensive option TENN has.

Mendenhall will get his carries as this season goes on. Parker is the guy! Moore is the 3rd down back. There isnt much room inbetween for Mende to get many carries right now. When we get into the meat of this schedule he presence will be felt!

SteelfordWexler
09-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Tomlin admited in a pre-season press conference that Mendenhalls fumbling would enter into his mind in close games. Hopefully, they can get him into more games and gain confidence in him. His ypa haven't been great, but I thought he ran pretty well v. the Texans. He had a few garbage time carries - where they were stacking the box. It would be nice to keep FWP fresh as well.

Dean Denton
09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
He will start to get more carries as the year plays out. I think he should keep returning kicks because, 1. we dont really have anyone all the great, and 2. he needs to learn how to hold that ball. I cant think of a better way to learn than returning kicks.
Until he figures it out I'm calling him Jiggleballs, not Mendenhall. Times like these you sure do miss Dick Hoak. Go Jiggleballs....lol

TEEMONT
09-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Seriously though, I really hate being right about FWP.

yinzer
09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Tomlin admited in a pre-season press conference that Mendenhalls fumbling would enter into his mind in close games. Hopefully, they can get him into more games and gain confidence in him. His ypa haven't been great, but I thought he ran pretty well v. the Texans. He had a few garbage time carries - where they were stacking the box. It would be nice to keep FWP fresh as well.

his yards per carry would go up if they left him in the game for more than 5 carries.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Mendenhall almost cost us an turnover n the game on that last kick off, i'm glad tomlin let Fast Willie handle the load, Mendenhall will get his chance 2 shine against the Clowns n the Dec 28 game, an i think he will get more time against the Eagles depending on the weather.

Blitzburgh55
09-16-2008, 05:47 PM
We dont need Mendenhall, when willie is doing good there is no reason to put mendenhall just because he need playing time because he was a number 1 pick

Dean Denton
09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
We dont need Mendenhall, when willie is doing good there is no reason to put mendenhall just because he need playing time because he was a number 1 pick dude, you look like the Fresh Prince....you rock:cope:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-16-2008, 06:20 PM
dude, you look like the Fresh Prince....you rock:cope:

...New addicts just don't understand.

Dean Denton
09-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Man...I was kidding...I understand everything.

Blitzburgh55
09-16-2008, 07:42 PM

Your a new addict in my mine

Black@Gold Forever32
09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Seriously though, I really hate being right about FWP.

I never doubted Willie or wanted him replaced either...I just wanted to see his carries cut down some....After last season I did think maybe 2006 was his career year....I thought he would continue to be a solid back but wouldn't approach his 06 levels again...So far he is looking that he could have a season like he did in 2006....But I'm still hoping Rashard Mendenhall will shoulder some of Parker's load this year....I like what both RBs bring to the table.....Mendenhall does have to prove himself first......But I still have high expectations for him....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Look at these stats for Barber & Felix Jones with the Cowboys. they have the same situation we do. A veteran starter who can get the job done but also a young stud RB who can share the load.

Barber 34/143 yds
Jones 12/72 yds

That's the kind of balance I want to see with Parker and Mendenhall. Both guys stay fresh, both make an impact.

Stlrs4Life
09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I think it's just because Willy has been pretty awesome so far.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Man...I was kidding...I understand everything.

i was kidding back at ya..as in Parents just don't understand- Fresh prince lyrics back in the day. :tophat:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

Your a new addict in my mine

:yellowthumb: :newhere:

Dean Denton
09-17-2008, 01:45 PM
i was kidding back at ya..as in Parents just don't understand- Fresh prince lyrics back in the day. :tophat:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

:yellowthumb: :newhere:
I'm new here, but I'm an old school Warrior. I got scars baby.:cope: