PDA

View Full Version : How much did or should the weather affect play calling?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
BG32 and I were talking last night during the game alittle about this so I figured it might be a good thread to start and see what you all think too.

Obviously Ike was in town last night and anybody that saw the game could see the swirling wind inside the stadium and the crazy sideways rain that was falling off and on. Before the game they talked to Arians about the game play and he said that he asked Ben if he wanted to alter the game plan at all due to his shoulder and the weather, he said no way he wanted to stay as is. Now anybody, as a fan, who knows Ben knows he's going to be a gamer and tough it out no matter what. The wind was at our backs in quarters 1 and 3 and that's when we did the majority of our passing. In quarters 2 and 4 we ran more. It makes sense to me but still there definitely some questionable calls, like the screen passes to Hines that blew up, a couple runs by Willie when the defense was obviously stacked to stop it and an audible could have gone for a big gainer, etc.

Overall I don't think Arians called a bad game, save for a few screwups. He's not the best OC in the NFL by any means but I think so far this year through 2 games he's done ok.

Had the weather not been crazy I would have imagined we'd have attacked that secondary like there was no tomorrow and torched every one of them with Hines, Heath, Santonio, Nate, Moore, and hell pee wee herman if we had the chance. LOL.

Normally with a 10-6 score one could conclude that we played down to our competition but last night Im not so sure anybody in the league could have done more than we did in those condition but that's just my :2cents:

AZ_Steeler
09-15-2008, 04:09 PM
The weather affected play by about 25,000,000 SA Gold points... Had the weather not been so crappy they would have kicked the FG and went up by 7 to cover the spread :cursin: Or they would have been well ahead to cover anyways.

:D

Koopa
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
BG32 and I were talking last night during the game alittle about this so I figured it might be a good thread to start and see what you all think too.

Obviously Ike was in town last night and anybody that saw the game could see the swirling wind inside the stadium and the crazy sideways rain that was falling off and on. Before the game they talked to Arians about the game play and he said that he asked Ben if he wanted to alter the game plan at all due to his shoulder and the weather, he said no way he wanted to stay as is. Now anybody, as a fan, who knows Ben knows he's going to be a gamer and tough it out no matter what. The wind was at our backs in quarters 1 and 3 and that's when we did the majority of our passing. In quarters 2 and 4 we ran more. It makes sense to me but still there definitely some questionable calls, like the screen passes to Hines that blew up, a couple runs by Willie when the defense was obviously stacked to stop it and an audible could have gone for a big gainer, etc.

Overall I don't think Arians called a bad game, save for a few screwups. He's not the best OC in the NFL by any means but I think so far this year through 2 games he's done ok.

Had the weather not been crazy I would have imagined we'd have attacked that secondary like there was no tomorrow and torched every one of them with Hines, Heath, Santonio, Nate, Moore, and hell pee wee herman if we had the chance. LOL.

Normally with a 10-6 score one could conclude that we played down to our competition but last night Im not so sure anybody in the league could have done more than we did in those condition but that's just my :2cents:

arians is a bum wind or not............ and don't ever mention nates name again when talking about attacking a secondary, the secondary loves when they throw to this bum cause they know they don't have to worry about making a tackle cause he'll drop it anyway

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2008, 05:10 PM
i was really disappointed in Nate too, this is the 2nd week in a row when he had the chance to make a great play for us and just flat out dropped it. He's not showing any improvement this year so far.

It's too early to throw in the terrible towel on Arians quite yet, so far we:

2-0 on the season

Parker has 3 TD's and 2 100 yds games

Hines is on pace for a record year with TD's

Santonio is stretching the defense down the field for big plays

Ben is making good decisions and is on target with his throws.

Things to work on:

Getting Mendenhall more involved

Use Moore on 3rd downs more

Use Heath Miller more especially in the red zone so we don't get predictable

Use Spaeth especially on side routes and in the corner of the end zone

Stlrs4Life
09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I agree, the weathetr had every reason to why we called the game we did. All FGs I think were kicked in the same end zone also.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't know if Ben is spreading the ball around that well yet...Only 3 caught passes last night...Ward and Holmes each had 5...Miller had 2.....Don't remember the totals from the Texans game but Ward had 6 of Big Ben's 14 completions...One problem Ben is only averaging 15 attempts a game which is just retarded...lol Pay 100 million for the guy to throw the ball 15 attempts a game...lol

Now I'm talking trash on Ben since I do want to see him throw more.....But this coaching staff better not waste this guys talent....He is to talented to just manage a football game....lol

If you're just going to throw the ball 15 times a game you might as well not even resigned him...Now I'm sure somebody will take this completely the wrong way...I'm glad Ben is resigned but you can bring any tool in here to throw the ball 15 times a game and not pay him 100 million...lol I thought Bill Cowher was gone?....lol

Koopa
09-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't know if Ben is spreading the ball around that well yet...Only 3 caught passes last night...Ward and Holmes each had 5...Miller had 2.....Don't remember the totals from the Texans game but Ward had 6 of Big Ben's 14 completions...One problem Ben is only averaging 15 attempts a game which is just retarded...lol Pay 100 million for the guy to throw the ball 15 attempts a game...lol

Now I'm talking trash on Ben since I do want to see him throw more.....But this coaching staff better not waste this guys talent....He is to talented to just manage a football game....lol

If you're just going to throw the ball 15 times a game you might as well not even resigned him...Now I'm sure somebody will take this completely the wrong way...I'm glad Ben is resigned but you can bring any tool in here to throw the ball 15 times a game and not pay him 100 million...lol I thought Bill Cowher was gone?....lol

cowher lives on through arians, when tomlin came everyone on the offensive side should have gotten the boot....... i think ben's career will be wasted on the fact that they will never take off his diapers........ sure he threw 30+ tds last year, but they still act like he's a girl and only let him throw a few times a game, with the wr's we have he should have at least 30 attempts a game blow outs or not.............. and ****ing willie should never carry 25 times, sure he looks like a god against the browns and texans, but eventually he will break down, what the **** was the point of drafting mendenhall if all he's gonna do is kick returns?? dude should get at least 10 carries a game, **** what happened in preseason........... and nate needs to be shot in the damn knee, sweed should be out there, sweed may drop passes but will always come through in the clutch

this team has a lot of improving to do if they want to be considered legit contenders......... i wouldn't be surprised if we get beat down by the eagles next week........

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2008, 05:45 PM
cowher lives on through arians, when tomlin came everyone on the offensive side should have gotten the boot....... i think ben's career will be wasted on the fact that they will never take off his diapers........ sure he threw 30+ tds last year, but they still act like he's a girl and only let him throw a few times a game, with the wr's we have he should have at least 30 attempts a game blow outs or not.............. and ****ing willie should never carry 25 times, sure he looks like a god against the browns and texans, but eventually he will break down, what the **** was the point of drafting mendenhall if all he's gonna do is kick returns?? dude should get at least 10 carries a game, **** what happened in preseason........... and nate needs to be shot in the damn knee, sweed should be out there, sweed may drop passes but will always come through in the clutch

this team has a lot of improving to do if they want to be considered legit contenders......... i wouldn't be surprised if we get beat down by the eagles next week........

I can't hate on Nate since I do like him...He isn't great but he is solid....I agree Sweed needs to play some..Only way he improves is by playing....

I agree 100 percent about more pass attempts.......I'm not saying the Steelers should throw bombs out there in a 50 MPH wind....But some quick short safe throws will work...Especially to Miller or Spaeth...Arians claims to be a TE guy but we hardly seen any use of the TE's...But part of that is Ben constantly looking for Ward...You have to keep Hines happy or he will get butt hurt...I love the guy but ever since he was Super Bowl MVP he has turned into a diva like most WR's in the NFL...lol

Mendenhall returns kicks and he isn't really good at that...lol Would like to see more from our first round pick also....I guess the coaches are scared with the fumbles....lol Again only way a young player improves is by reps....

So much talent on offense for this team to only muster 10 points against a very poor Browns defense.....People will say we got the win and that is the only thing that matters but the Browns make one play on offense late in that game last night and they could have won the game....That is reality....I guess I just need to put the Steelers colored glasses on like most fans...lol

Dean Denton
09-15-2008, 05:50 PM

If you're just going to throw the ball 15 times a game you might as well not even resigned him...Now I'm sure somebody will take this completely the wrong way...I'm glad Ben is resigned but you can bring any tool in here to throw the ball 15 times a game and not pay him 100 million...lol I thought Bill Cowher was gone?....lol The less you throw the ball the better. If you can control the clock and the game by running, then thats what you should do. Ben is good enought that he can do that. There are alot of QB's in the league that cant do that. For example both the Mannings could not win by only throwing the ball 15-20 times. They are rhythm QB's, and only throwing 15-20 times would mess them up. Ben can do it, so they will continue to play that way. If Ben is throwing 30-35 times a game, then we are behind, and thats not Steeler football. We get a lead, and hold it. We get people biting on the run, and Ben goes down the field. The system works, and it won us a superbowl. When we have the ball 40 to 45 minutes we win. We do that by running the ball down other teams throats, not passing for 400 yards.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2008, 05:52 PM
It's only week 2 here guys, let's not start the downfall of Ben's career just yet. Look at his stats over his 5 years in the league, he's gotten better and better every year. Last year he set all those records, this year they went out and got him more weapons on offense. I expect Ben to atleast have 35 TD's this year at the minimum and throw for between 3000-4000 yds. I expect Willie will probably have about 1400 yds rushing give or take and hopefully Mendenhall can get alteast 700 or 800 yards.

I do think we need to chill on Willie and let Mendenhall get some carries so we don't get him worn out again. Willie needs 20 touches a game to get into the flow, that's not asking too much of your starting RB. Give Mendenhall 10-15 touches as well. Maybe some games you give Mendenhall the nod to start and rest willie, that's what he's there for right? I think the carries for each will even out alittle more as the year goes on but geez it's only week 2..LOL. I want to see Sweed in the lineup too and atleast get some experience. Baker isn't doing shiat so far this year so why not switch them up and alternate activating them.

Ben will get his share of big games and they'll attack down the field but let's not forget our roots here...tomlin has stated from the get go that we will establish the run and live by it come hell or high water. Thats not going to change so if you're looking for Ben to ever put up Peyton Manning like numbers every year you might as well just forget it. It's not going to happen. Ben will make probowls, crush every Steeler passing record a half dozen times before he's done and he'll lead this team to greatness again. If we win every week because of him and not inspite of him, I don't care what his stats are personally.

Any given week you can say this or that might have happened and things would have been different but the fact is we played last night in bad conditions, we left some points on the field but also moved the ball, ate some clock and did what we had to do to win. There's no way Ben throws for 300 yds or anything like that in those conditions. We adapated and still found ways to move the ball. We werent perfect by any means, believe me I know that as much as anyone. we still have a lot of things to work on but it's early and we're 2-0 with a big test next sunday that should tell us a lot more.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
The less you throw the ball the better. If you can control the clock and the game by running, then thats what you should do. Ben is good enought that he can do that. There are alot of QB's in the league that cant do that. For example both the Mannings could not win by only throwing the ball 15-20 times. They are rhythm QB's, and only throwing 15-20 times would mess them up. Ben can do it, so they will continue to play that way. If Ben is throwing 30-35 times a game, then we are behind, and thats not Steeler football. We get a lead, and hold it. We get people biting on the run, and Ben goes down the field. The system works, and it won us a superbowl. When we have the ball 40 to 45 minutes we win. We do that by running the ball down other teams throats, not passing for 400 yards.

Save your responses...I know what Steelers football is...Been watching and following the team all my life...Know a ton about the team and its history....:lol:

You don't draft a guy in the first round and then pay him a ton of money to throw the ball 15 times a game.....The 70s are dead...get over it.....For all that regular season success Cowher had playing Steelers football it still only netted him 1 Super Bowl win...lol

2-4 in AFC title games (which 5 were in Pittsburgh) under Bill Cowher playing Steelers football.....:lol:

I love when somebody tries to educate me...Please don't waste your time...:lol:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

It's only week 2 here guys, let's not start the downfall of Ben's career just yet. Look at his stats over his 5 years in the league, he's gotten better and better every year. Last year he set all those records, this year they went out and got him more weapons on offense. I expect Ben to atleast have 35 TD's this year at the minimum and throw for between 3000-4000 yds. I expect Willie will probably have about 1400 yds rushing give or take and hopefully Mendenhall can get alteast 700 or 800 yards.

I do think we need to chill on Willie and let Mendenhall get some carries so we don't get him worn out again. Willie needs 20 touches a game to get into the flow, that's not asking too much of your starting RB. Give Mendenhall 10-15 touches as well. Maybe some games you give Mendenhall the nod to start and rest willie, that's what he's there for right? I think the carries for each will even out alittle more as the year goes on but geez it's only week 2..LOL. I want to see Sweed in the lineup too and atleast get some experience. Baker isn't doing shiat so far this year so why not switch them up and alternate activating them.

Ben will get his share of big games and they'll attack down the field but let's not forget our roots here...tomlin has stated from the get go that we will establish the run and live by it come hell or high water. Thats not going to change so if you're looking for Ben to ever put up Peyton Manning like numbers every year you might as well just forget it. It's not going to happen. Ben will make probowls, crush every Steeler passing record a half dozen times before he's done and he'll lead this team to greatness again. If we win every week because of him and not inspite of him, I don't care what his stats are personally.

Any given week you can say this or that might have happened and things would have been different but the fact is we played last night in bad conditions, we left some points on the field but also moved the ball, ate some clock and did what we had to do to win. There's no way Ben throws for 300 yds or anything like that in those conditions. We adapated and still found ways to move the ball. We werent perfect by any means, believe me I know that as much as anyone. we still have a lot of things to work on but it's early and we're 2-0 with a big test next sunday that should tell us a lot more.

Totally missed the point....I'm a huge Ben fan and think the guy is one of the best QBs in the NFL...My point is why extend him to a franchise record contract to have him throw 15 times a game?....That is all I'm saying.....We could bring any QB to just manage a game with our running game and defense...Plus if thats the route this team wants to go you could have saved a ton of money to reload many positions...If you're not going to use your franchise QB then why have one?

Dean Denton
09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Save your responses...I know what Steelers football is...Been watching and following the team all my life...Know a ton about the team and its history....:lol:

You don't draft a guy in the first round and then pay him a ton of money to throw the ball 15 times a game.....The 70s are dead...get over it.....For all that regular season success Cowher had playing Steelers football it still only netted him 1 Super Bowl win...lol

2-4 in AFC title games (which 5 were in Pittsburgh) under Bill Cowher playing Steelers football.....:lol:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Totally missed the point....I'm a huge Ben fan and think the guy is one of the best QBs in the NFL...My point is why extend him to a franchise record contract to have him throw 15 times a game?....That is all I'm saying.....We could bring any QB to just manage a game with our running game and defense...Plus if thats the route this team wants to go you could have saved a ton of money to reload many positions...If you're not going to use your franchise QB then why have one? Ok, I dont agree with any of that. If any QB could have done what Ben has done then Bill would have won a Superbowl a long time ago. Ben is gifted, and I think only Elway could have done what Ben did his first two seasons. Bill never had a QB that could manage the game. Thats why only one ring. Ben was what the Steelers have been missing for 20+ years. All those great teams that we have had, we never had a QB. Not since Bradshaw. We had a chance in 1995, but our QB choked. Plus, how many other games do you think Bill would have won with Ben? I think he would have been 5-5 in those AFC title games. Ben can control the game. He doesn't have to win it.
I really dont see any of the other QB's that came out the same year Ben did, and being able to win every regular season game.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-15-2008, 06:29 PM
arians is a bum wind or not............ and don't ever mention nates name again when talking about attacking a secondary, the secondary loves when they throw to this bum cause they know they don't have to worry about making a tackle cause he'll drop it anyway

"them there's some rough words". Weather always dictates the way the game plays out.What ever the the o-fense does the defense must cover. The weather can dictate what the offense is capable of doing. If they have a running game,they will probably fair out well. How many times have we seen that scenario play out? Ben is getting a lot of experience at playing in some bad weather conditions. I say we call him "Hurricane Ben" instead of just plain ole "Big Ben".:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Ok, I dont agree with any of that. If any QB could have done what Ben has done then Bill would have won a Superbowl a long time ago. Ben is gifted, and I think only Elway could have done what Ben did his first two seasons. Bill never had a QB that could manage the game. Thats why only one ring. Ben was what the Steelers have been missing for 20+ years. All those great teams that we have had, we never had a QB. Not since Bradshaw. We had a chance in 1995, but our QB choked. Plus, how many other games do you think Bill would have won with Ben? I think he would have been 5-5 in those AFC title games. Ben can control the game. He doesn't have to win it.
I really dont see any of the other QB's that came out the same year Ben did, and being able to win every regular season game.

I'm the biggest Ben fan....This is my whole entire point...I think he is among the best in the NFL...I want to see him more of focal point since he is a franchise QB....I don't want to see him wasted just being a manager of an offense....

I love the Bill Cowher defending though...Typical...But anyways this thread is getting hijacked.....Lets get it back on topic....

But one last statement...Yea I agree Neil chocked in Super Bowl XXX...But everybody seems to forget the passing game was a big reason the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl in the first place that year....O'Donnell had a very good season though and threw to five WR sets most of the season....Eric Pegrem and Bam Morris were a nice combo at RB but far from the dominating run game Cowher had most of his career....

The 2005 play-offs the Steelers opened it up in the play-offs and that was huge into the team reaching the Super Bowl....Both times Cowher made it to the Super Bowl the passing game played a huge part....

The NFL of today is a QB league especially since the rules favor a passing offense os much....We have a franchise QB and this offense has the potential to be one of the best....Again I ask if Ben is only going to average 15-20 throws a game then why keep him and give him a ton of money?.....I'm glad he is resigned but all I'm saying if we're going to waste him the money would have been more wisely spent elsewhere....

Dean Denton
09-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm the biggest Ben fan....This is my whole entire point...I think he is among the best in the NFL...I want to see him more of focal point since he is a franchise QB....I don't want to see him wasted just being a manager of an offense....

I love the Bill Cowher defending though...Typical...But anyways this thread is getting hijacked.....Lets get it back on topic....

But one last statement...Yea I agree Neil chocked in Super Bowl XXX...But everybody seems to forget the passing game was a big reason the Steelers made it to the Super Bowl in the first place that year....O'Donnell had a very good season though and threw to five WR sets most of the season....Eric Pegrem and Bam Morris were a nice combo at RB but far from the dominating run game Cowher had most of his career....

The 2005 play-offs the Steelers opened it up in the play-offs and that was huge into the team reaching the Super Bowl....Both times Cowher made it to the Super Bowl the passing game played a huge part....

The NFL of today is a QB league especially since the rules favor a passing offense os much....We have a franchise QB and this offense has the potential to be one of the best....Again I ask if Ben is only going to average 15-20 throws a game then why keep him and give him a ton of money?.....I'm glad he is resigned but all I'm saying if we're going to waste him the money would have been more wisely spent elsewhere.... No, your right, I do agree with alot of what your saying, but if you can win ball games by only throwing 20 times game, your money. Brady might be the only QB in the league besides Ben that can pull this off. Sure, I would like to see Ben light it up 35 times a game, posting 350-400 yards, and 4-5 TD a game, but I think that he has a gift. That gift is being able to be accurate and consistent with only throwing 20 times. I agree this is a QB driven league now, but Ben gets the big bucks because only 2 or maybe 3 QB's can do what he can do.
It seems like we get a lead, and we run them down. Maybe we could start off passing a little bit more, but we always seem to do the same thing. Get them biting on the run, then play action pass. Control the clock and rush for 300 yards. I know Ben can get it done throwing 30-35 times a game, but they only seem to do that when we are behind. I dont think its a lack of confidence, I think its just smart football to run out the clock, and limit the chance of INT, sack, and injury to a QB that doesn't get the best pass protection.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
No, your right, I do agree with alot of what your saying, but if you can win ball games by only throwing 20 times game, your money. Brady might be the only QB in the league besides Ben that can pull this off. Sure, I would like to see Ben light it up 35 times a game, posting 350-400 yards, and 4-5 TD a game, but I think that he has a gift. That gift is being able to be accurate and consistent with only throwing 20 times. I agree this is a QB driven league now, but Ben gets the big bucks because only 2 or maybe 3 QB's can do what he can do.
It seems like we get a lead, and we run them down. Maybe we could start off passing a little bit more, but we always seem to do the same thing. Get them biting on the run, then play action pass. Control the clock and rush for 300 yards. I know Ben can get it done throwing 30-35 times a game, but they only seem to do that when we are behind. I dont think its a lack of confidence, I think its just smart football to run out the clock, and limit the chance of INT, sack, and injury to a QB that doesn't get the best pass protection.

See I don't even want 35 passes a game...I would like to see 25-30 times consistently....Forget the 300 yards.....250 would be nice.....:lol: No more 10-6 nail biters....I want to see the Steelers destroy teams......No more 10-6 nail biters especially against the Browns...I really wanted to see the Browns kick the crap kicked out of them last night...They had to much hype this off-season....

I know I'm nit picking here...But hey that is what I do....:lol:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh yeahwith the utmost respect sir,the "Steelers" have an NFL life to survive that no team has yet to come close to.The Brown-eyes found out that there is a lot more to know than just the same old "Steelers".It all comes back to Mike. His team should call "HIM" out.Seems like Mike is afraid to get too aggressive. He so far is the man.We all saw what a bad coaching move could mean. Tomlin is manning the shop.He actually knows what his workers can do,and what they are good at.To boot he gives them a fair shot to play up to thier capabilities.He is not afraid to change from week to week.Tomlin ain't perfect,and i think he knows that,but he better grow some too,i think he knows that.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2008, 07:41 PM

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Totally missed the point....I'm a huge Ben fan and think the guy is one of the best QBs in the NFL...My point is why extend him to a franchise record contract to have him throw 15 times a game?....That is all I'm saying.....We could bring any QB to just manage a game with our running game and defense...Plus if thats the route this team wants to go you could have saved a ton of money to reload many positions...If you're not going to use your franchise QB then why have one?

Nah I got your point and I know what you mean :yesnod: ; I just know this team isn't going to use Ben in the way that must 100 million dollar Qb's are used. They'll use him to fit our system and do what needs to be done to win. I'd love to see 300 yd passing games and 3 TD's every week but just won't happen. It took us 20 years to get a franchise QB and Im as big a Ben fan as you are trust me. He may not get the stats or be in the offense that we like so much right now but he's a fighter and winner so Im ok with it.

SteelerSteve
09-15-2008, 07:48 PM
I cant believe what I'm hearing. How the hell can you think that Bens talents are being wasted? I mean, its not like all he does is dump the ball off all game. I would like to see some more attempts by him too, but he's doing alot more than most qb's would do with the few attempts he does have. He takes shots down the field and they usually are complete or have a very good chance of being completions. This bitching and moaning is unwarranted.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Totally missed the point....I'm a huge Ben fan and think the guy is one of the best QBs in the NFL...My point is why extend him to a franchise record contract to have him throw 15 times a game?....That is all I'm saying.....We could bring any QB to just manage a game with our running game and defense...Plus if thats the route this team wants to go you could have saved a ton of money to reload many positions...If you're not going to use your franchise QB then why have one? Once again, I understand that it would be nice to see Ben be a 300 yard per game passer, but really, we are winning right? We didn't sign Ben to be a fantasy football god, we signed him to win games! thats what it all comes down to, and he has done just that.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2008, 08:03 PM
I cant believe what I'm hearing. How the hell can you think that Bens talents are being wasted? I mean, its not like all he does is dump the ball off all game. I would like to see some more attempts by him too, but he's doing alot more than most qb's would do with the few attempts he does have. He takes shots down the field and they usually are complete or have a very good chance of being completions. This bitching and moaning is unwarranted.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Once again, I understand that it would be nice to see Ben be a 300 yard per game passer, but really, we are winning right? We didn't sign Ben to be a fantasy football god, we signed him to win games! thats what it all comes down to, and he has done just that.

Funny whenever somebody wants to discuss something its always bitching and moaning....lol Another thing Steve you have been a fan since what 2005?....So you wouldn't understand from were I'm coming from....

I have watched this team over the years waste to many opportunities and I don't want them to waste to many more...We have a franchise QB and we better maximize his potential.....

I never said I wanted Ben to average 300 passing yards a game....Just wanted to see more then 15-20 pass attempts a game...lol

steelerschick1220
09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't care what Ben's stats are. If he throws for 300 yards or less then 200 or has one TD or four, as long as we win that is what is important. The only thing I would like to see him do more is throw the ball deep. IMO, he throws one of the best deep balls in the league and I think we should utilize that more then once or twice a game. I would like to see him throw 20, no more then 25, times a game. Anymore then that, no doubt we are losing.

And to answer the point of this thread, I think that the weather did affect the play calling. I think if it hadn't of been windy and rainy out, we would have won by a much wider margin. We moved the ball better against their D then did against ours.

yinzer
09-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't care what Ben's stats are. If he throws for 300 yards or less then 200 or has one TD or four, as long as we win that is what is important. The only thing I would like to see him do more is throw the ball deep. IMO, he throws one of the best deep balls in the league and I think we should utilize that more then once or twice a game. I would like to see him throw 20, no more then 25, times a game. Anymore then that, no doubt we are losing.

And to answer the point of this thread, I think that the weather did affect the play calling. I think if it hadn't of been windy and rainy out, we would have won by a much wider margin. We moved the ball better against their D then did against ours.

:plus1: i just care that we win whether it's ugly or not. however, i would love to see us come out on the first play of the game with a nice play action to willie and ben launches a shot 50 yard down the field to santonio. weather definitely played a factor but i don't want us to to be so friggin predictable. i guess we keep doing what we're doing and MAKE the defenses stop us if they can. :2cents:

Stairwayto7
09-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Way to conservative no matter the weather.

Also defense seemed to conservative, not much blitzing.

Dean Denton
09-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Funny whenever somebody wants to discuss something its always bitching and moaning....lol Another thing Steve you have been a fan since what 2005?....So you wouldn't understand from were I'm coming from....

I have watched this team over the years waste to many opportunities and I don't want them to waste to many more...We have a franchise QB and we better maximize his potential.....

I never said I wanted Ben to average 300 passing yards a game....Just wanted to see more then 15-20 pass attempts a game...lol Dont worry you are going to get your wish. First playing Philly I think they will open up that pass after watching the Monday night game. We should burn these dudes deep.
One other thing...Its a good sign if Ben is only throwing the ball 20 times, that means we are winning, and just running out the clock. My favorite play is going to be Leftwich taking a knee...lol I love seeing the back up QB get some reps...:yellowthumb:

SteelfordWexler
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I agree - we will probably need to score a ton this weekend. Philly will spread us out and McNabb looks pretty sharp.

But as far as being too conservative goes - I think Arians has done a pretty good job so far (2 and 0). The oline scares me in pass protection. He is calling the game to minimize their weakness and play to their strength (run blocking).

Ben is already banged up and hes only dropped back like 30 times this year. If we want to throw the ball around - we need protection like Manning or Brady (bad example) gets. To agree with some of the others, I definitely think we need to get better here to fully take advantage of Ben's tallents.

I hope we can stay balanced Sunday night because Philly usually has a pretty good pass rush. We may finally see the no-huddle this weekend. That can be used to neutralize defensive pressure as well.

steelerschick1220
09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
:plus1: i just care that we win whether it's ugly or not. however, i would love to see us come out on the first play of the game with a nice play action to willie and ben launches a shot 50 yard down the field to santonio. weather definitely played a factor but i don't want us to to be so friggin predictable. i guess we keep doing what we're doing and MAKE the defenses stop us if they can. :2cents:
Yes! I would love to see more 50 yarders or more form Ben. He can throw it, they just need to let him to do it. We are a little bit predictable at times on offense. We just need to shake up the game plan at times.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-16-2008, 01:44 PM
well in the past when Big Ben throws for over 300+ and puts up big numbers..it usually ends up in a loss for us.It seems once we get in a gun-slinging type game it messes up the whole game plan,Granted that was more so with Cowher at the helm but it still seems to be that way.The Steelers plan is always to attack first grab a lead then pound the ball and eat the clock.As boring as it sometimes is, it's been a pretty damn good game plan.We all know Big Ben is capable of alot more (numbers wise) but getting the "W" is the main objective.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Ok Its Wayyyy to earley to tell its only week two and we won both games? we played two ****** teams and one in a hurricane. I love that Ben is throwing 15 time without any picks that is exactley what we need. If were running good for 40 minutes why stop? This is Steelers football. Pounding the rock and making the defense play on thier heels we dont need to pass 35 times a game because then Ben gets sacked 40 times in a season and we all complain that the line sucks. Were 2-0 were doing great it too earley to get pissed at Arians

But our 1st round draft pick Timmons and our 1st and 2nd round draft picks Mendenhall and Sweed better get some playing time this year or there not going to get better plain and simple.

steel-tex
09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Well as u know i cant stand our o-c he has no imagination - did we throw to our tight ends ---- twice --- screen to willie ---- oh forgot ?? if we played anyone else we would have gotten beat. I have been on this guys case since last year and i am still on it now!! He is so predictable. He is our weak link -- no doubt!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Dont worry you are going to get your wish. First playing Philly I think they will open up that pass after watching the Monday night game. We should burn these dudes deep.
One other thing...Its a good sign if Ben is only throwing the ball 20 times, that means we are winning, and just running out the clock. My favorite play is going to be Leftwich taking a knee...lol I love seeing the back up QB get some reps...:yellowthumb:

I'm not wanting this team to turn into the St. Louis Rams type offense of the late 90s....I just would like to see average around 25-30 attempts a game...I think it would help the running game at times to...That is all I'm saying....I'm confident in Ben handling a larger role in the offense...

I just think to the Steelers have playes like Heath Miller and Mewelde Moore that could help Ben in the passing game.....even Spaeth....We need to use all the weapons....It seems Ben is locking on Ward a ton so far this season...I'm sure its to stroke Ward's ego...I love Hines but he has become some what of a diva since winning the Super Bowl MVP...:lol:

Dean Denton
09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not wanting this team to turn into the St. Louis Rams type offense of the late 90s....I just would like to see average around 25-30 attempts a game...I think it would help the running game at times to...That is all I'm saying....I'm confident in Ben handling a larger role in the offense...

I just think to the Steelers have playes like Heath Miller and Mewelde Moore that could help Ben in the passing game.....even Spaeth....We need to use all the weapons....It seems Ben is locking on Ward a ton so far this season...I'm sure its to stroke Ward's ego...I love Hines but he has become some what of a diva since winning the Super Bowl MVP...:lol: He is a Diva, he gets is nails done. but I would never replace him.

25-30 is fine with me as long as Willie gets his 100+ and we are not playing from behind. I like what Ben did in playoffs in that road to the Superbowl. Ben was the six shooter, gun slinger...It was a thing of beauty. no reason why he cant throw 25 times, but if we can run we will run 60 times. Not to worry. I dont see Parker getting a 100 yards on every team we face this year so Ben will be putting that ball up 30+ times.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
09-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah I do miss Wizenhut. Arains is nowhere close to him. last year Arians sucked so much *** but this year is way too early to tell but i hope he shows us what hes capable of or tomlin needs to step in a fire this dude.

SteelerSteve
09-17-2008, 07:47 PM

I never said I wanted Ben to average 300 passing yards a game....Just wanted to see more then 15-20 pass attempts a game...lol And I understand that. I would love to see Ben throw it a little more, but if we are winning then i'm not gonna complain. Thats all, the reason I've brought up the bitching and moaning comment isn't from what you said anyways, its more from people thinking that Ben's talents are being wasted when they clearly are not. Since when did a franchise QB have to be strictly a pocket passer who throws 4,000 yards a season with 30 plus TD's? How about Troy Aikman? He never had a 4,000 yard season. Its usually the QB's that have to carry the team on their shoulders, and Ben doesn't have to because we have a great defense and a solid running game.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

And to answer the point of this thread, I think that the weather did affect the play calling. I think if it hadn't of been windy and rainy out, we would have won by a much wider margin. We moved the ball better against their D then did against ours. Exactly, and with the stats that really matter he's looked really good. Like Completion percentage and yards per attempt.