PDA

View Full Version : Ben's AC joint separation doesn't slow him down

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't think most of us realized his shoulder is actually separated, and AC joint separation. It was good of Tomlin to limit him this week and get him a lot of treatment. It may have been hurting but he's as tough as it comes and he was flinging the ball around just like always and showed no ill effects from it.

They asked him if he wanted to alter the gameplan due to the weather and his shoulder but he said no way an they came out and played tough. Credit the OL for decent protection most of the time.

****ing big baby Shaun Rogers gave Ben a nice cheap shot in the 3rd quarter when he lowered his shoulder after the pass was gone and knocked him over.

Iron City South
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Totally dissed Andrea Kramer after the game. I think BR thought she was being a pain in the *** trying to get him to talk about his shoulder.

Screw the media .... I hate them all.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2008, 11:24 PM
:bwah: no **** right, she asked him twice and he just kept talking about the OL. Nice job Ben ! He's not about making excuses or anything, he's the QB and the leader hurt shoulder or not so why dwell on it.

AZ_Steeler
09-14-2008, 11:31 PM
She actually asked him a third time and he said he had to go congratulate his team mates! :lol: The media is always trying to dig and turn nothing into something... If they didn't dig and try to fabricate stories then they wouldn't have jobs! :D

MOTORKRAFT
09-14-2008, 11:38 PM
I didn't like the interview. Ben was an a** . Are the Steelers the new Patroits. Answer the question. Just say ,yeah it hurts.

Iron City South
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
I didn't like the interview. Ben was an a** . Are the Steelers the new Patroits. Answer the question. Just say ,yeah it hurts.

You absolutely NEVER tell the media about your injury .... nothing. That's like putting bloody chum in a pool of sharks. Stuff like that only fuels the fire of the team you're playing next week. It also makes the media harp on the story all week long which I'm sure Ben Roeth doesn't want to answer to all week long ...

steelerschick1220
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Ben is one tough dude. I thought he played very well if his shoulder was that messed up. What was up with that no call on Rogers??????? I was so mad that didn't get called. I loved Ben interview. I love how he makes no excuses for how he plays and is always ready to compliment his team.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-14-2008, 11:42 PM

Maybe Tomlin has ordered to not discuss the shoulder....Just like Belichick does with injuries....

steelerschick1220
09-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Maybe Tomlin has ordered to not discuss the shoulder....Just like Belichick does with injuries....

You may be right on that. Either way, Ben was in no way shape or form talking about his shoulder!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-14-2008, 11:48 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, because we didn't hear a peep about it all week from Tomlin or Ben so having a gag order is not such bad idea.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I don't mind Bens response.You answer the question,you practically but a target on yo @ss!!!!!!! The Eagles have a decent pass rush you know? Poeple find out you have a weakness they will try thier best to exploit it.Thats why Rushard needs to mind his p's and Q's.Once you get the rep. you are a target. Get it?:tt02:

AZ_Steeler
09-14-2008, 11:59 PM
I think after Ben reported he had a broken toe the FO put in his contract that he can never talk about his injuries again! :D

yinzer
09-15-2008, 12:27 AM
a separated A.C. joint is no big deal if that was really the case. he'll be o.k. stop worrying. he's a big boy. 2-0 baby!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
oh, and by the way, an a.c. joint is about as serious as a hangover so stop worrying. i've never seen so much nonsense in my life. it's all good. the eagles are goin dahn.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Other teams thinking that you have an injury like that could induce the defense to alter thier game plan,and blitz more than usual.Then you have all plays ready to off-set the blitz that you know is coming.HuMMMMMMMM,maybe not a bad concept.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't mind Bens response.You answer the question,you practically but a target on yo @ss!!!!!!! The Eagles have a decent pass rush you know? Poeple find out you have a weakness they will try thier best to exploit it.Thats why Rushard needs to mind his p's and Q's.Once you get the rep. you are a target. Get it?:tt02:

Exactly....they would have been after his shoulder alot more if it was known exactly what was wrong with it all week....Once they heard during the game that is was actually separated..that's probably when the Cheap-shot artists went to work.

I think it may have been a combination of Tomlin telling Ben not to talk about it,and Ben being pissed about the no call cheap shot from Fat Baby. Either way i'm just glad we got the win and got the hell out of that dump with no major injuries. Hopefully the last game of the year against the Clowns will be a rest game for our starters and we can let Leftwich slap them around.

SteelerSal
09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
What is an AC “separation” and how is it treated?

An AC joint separation can occur from trauma to the shoulder such as a fall directly on the top of the shoulder or falling on your elbow causing your upper arm to separate the collarbone from the acromion. The degree of separation can vary from mild to severe. A mild separation is termed a Grade 1 separation. This results in minor damage to the ligaments that hold the clavicle to the acromion. There is no visible deformity and the bone still line up fine on X-rays.

A moderate separation is termed a Grade 2 separation. This results in partial tearing of the ligaments that hold the clavicle to the acromion. There will be a visible abnormality at the AC joint that may be more obvious when stressed. X-rays will reveal that the clavicle and acromion don’t quite line up.

A severe separation is termed a Grade 3 separation. This type of injury results in the ligaments being completely torn resulting in a visible deformity. X-rays will demonstrate complete separation of the clavicle from the acromion. Clinically you will see the end of the collarbone “tenting” the skin over it.

Very infrequently patients may sustain different variations of these injuries which may require surgical treatment.

These injuries can be quite painful and result in you not being able to lift your arm overhead, across your body or behind your back. Fortunately, whether you have incurred a grade 1, 2 or 3 separation, the treatment is non-surgical in general. There are some surgeons who advocate surgical treatment for the grade 3 AC joint separation but this is unusual in our practice. Previous studies have demonstrated no significant benefit of surgical versus non surgical treatment regarding long term range of motion, function, strength, or pain. Patients will however have a permanent “bump” in this region. Chronic pain associated with an AC joint separation is unusual but can be treated with an AC joint reconstruction. Several days in a sling may be necessary for comfort immediately after injury. Icing the area and taking an anti-inflammatory medication will help with healing. Physical therapy should be initiated as soon as you are comfortable to restore full range of motion and strength to the shoulder. The length of time to recover from these types of injuries is directly proportionate to the severity of the separation. Grade 1 injuries generally heal in 2-3 weeks, while a grade 3 injury may take 6-8 weeks.

Is surgery ever indicated for AC separations?

Grade 1 and 2 injuries generally never require surgery. A Grade 3 injury will require surgery on rare occasion. This is only recommended if non-surgical treatment fails to provide pain relief. Usually a surgical stabilization of the AC joint would be recommended. Your orthopedic surgeon will tell you if surgery is indicated. It can be performed on an outpatient basis. 8-12 weeks of post-operative physical therapy can be expected.http://bachmd.com/acjoint.htm

Not a big deal, rest during the week...........kick opponents *** on gameday.

TampaSteelGirl
09-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I think Ben is a real trooper....he'll be ok. He wont' let his team down!! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-16-2008, 02:27 PM
got the text from KDKA alittle while ago that Ben will be limited again this week and miss some practices but he'll be ready to go on Sunday vs the Eagles. It'll probably be this way atleast until the bye week I would think.

TEEMONT
09-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Totally dissed Andrea Kramer after the game. I think BR thought she was being a pain in the *** trying to get him to talk about his shoulder.

Screw the media .... I hate them all.

unless they work for MSNBC....lol

Dean Denton
09-16-2008, 03:30 PM
ESPN reported on it today from the Tomlin interview and they said Ben has a Sprain. Tomlin said he will be ok to go on sunday because Ben is the type of guy that does not have to be in there taking snaps in practice to get ready for the game. Tomlin said he does just fine watching film. So far anyways. Tomlin is such a no nonsense guy.
Tomlin..."Why So Serious?"......lol

Black@Gold Forever32
09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
ESPN reported on it today from the Tomlin interview and they said Ben has a Sprain. Tomlin said he will be ok to go on sunday because Ben is the type of guy that does not have to be in there taking snaps in practice to get ready for the game. Tomlin said he does just fine watching film. So far anyways. Tomlin is such a no nonsense guy.
Tomlin..."Why So Serious?"......lol

That is good news...I was a bit worried after that fat *** slob Shaun Rogers hit Ben late.....That could have done serious damage to Ben's shoulder...

Dean Denton
09-16-2008, 06:31 PM
That is good news...I was a bit worried after that fat *** slob Shaun Rogers hit Ben late.....That could have done serious damage to Ben's shoulder...
Well, lets us pray Ben gets out of Philly alive. Dallas has a far better O-line than we do, and Romo was under all kinds of pressure....

steelerschick1220
09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I figure that Ben will have limited practice for the next couple weeks, but be ready to go for the game. He is a trooper and it will take a lot more then a shoulder to keep him from playing.

Steelerlyn
09-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't know what to think about the shoulder. Ben's been kind of a drama guy about injuries in the past. Remember the "broken toes" that weren't in the Pats championship game his rookie year?

I think it's possible that he said some stuff about the shoulder,and "seperated" and "ac joint" to Madden and wanted to make sure that he didn't compound the drama he'd already concocted.

Either that, or it's horrible, he needed a needle just to get through the game, and he doesn't want the Eagles to know how bad it is because he's going to miss some time....

BlitzburghNation
09-17-2008, 02:20 AM
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin clarified the status of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's shoulder: sprained but not separated.

The injury will likely keep Roethlisberger from fully participating in practice on Wednesday, but not from playing on Sunday against Philadelphia.

The Steelers said last week that their quarterback was nursing a sore shoulder, but a TV commentator on Sunday night termed the injury a shoulder separation.

Gregory Shamus /
Ben Roethlisberger passed for 186 yards and a touchdown, despite an injured shoulder vs. the Browns Sunday.

During his weekly news conference Tuesday, Tomlin appeared agitated by the latter description.

"I have no idea where that report came from," Tomlin said. "It didn't come from me or my medical staff. If anybody in here has got any information about where that report came from, send them to me."

Tomlin said Roethlisberger sprained his AC joint, an injury to the ligaments that attach the collarbone to the shoulder blade.

Asked if Roethlisberger was the source of the disputed information, Tomlin said, "Not to my knowledge."

The issue may be one of semantics. The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons describes a mild shoulder separation as a sprain of the AC ligament. It differs from more severe shoulder separations in which the ligament is torn.

Whatever the injury, Roethlisberger threw for 186 yards and a touchdown during Pittsburgh's 10-6 win over Cleveland on Sunday and is expected to play this Sunday against the Eagles.

"He said it feels better than it did a week ago, which is good," Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger was sacked three times Sunday but perhaps endured his hardest hit -- from 350-pound Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers -- after releasing the ball. Roethlisberger appeared to hold his arm gingerly after that play.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger can do no further damage to the shoulder by playing. The coach was asked if it was a worry that his quarterback was missing so much practice time.

"It really depends on the quarterback," Tomlin said. "Some guys require a great number of snaps to get prepared to play. Some guys can learn visually, film room and so forth. Thankfully with Ben he's a pretty quick study and sharp guy. ... It doesn't take him a great number of reps to be prepared to play.

"Hopefully it won't be an issue this week. I know it won't be an excuse."

In other injury news, defensive end Brett Keisel has a calf strain. He is out for the Eagles game and likely for at least a month overall, though Tomlin said he would be evaluated "week to week."

Travis Kirschke is expected to take his place in the starting lineup, with veteran Orpheus Roye being added to the active roster on Sunday so he can join the team's six-man rotation on the defensive line.

Also, starting cornerback Deshea Townsend's heel contusion might force him to miss his second game in a row.

Linebacker James Farrior (back) and wide receiver Santonio Holmes (knee) are starters who will be limited in practice due to injury but will play in Philadelphia.

AZ_Steeler
09-17-2008, 03:00 AM
"I have no idea where that report came from," Tomlin said. "It didn't come from me or my medical staff. If anybody in here has got any information about where that report came from, send them to me."
Sorry coach... I don't think you are going to have people knocking down your door saying who said it! :dunno: Welcome to media age!!!

Ben will be fine... nothing a little rest, and a shot won't cure! ;)

SteelersWoman
09-17-2008, 03:38 AM
"Roethlisberger... perhaps endured his hardest hit -- from 350-pound Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers -- after releasing the ball".

I noticed there was no roughing the passer (late hit) called on Rogers--even though LaMarr had gotten a 15 yd penalty for exactly the same thing not long before that.

And it sure wasn't Ben who said anything about his shoulder--that interviewer asked him THREE times, and he absolutely refused to say ONE word about it one way or the other.

Dean Denton
09-17-2008, 01:16 PM
I think we should let Leftwich start against the Jags that way Ben will get almost 4 weeks to rest that arm. If his last game is against the Ravens, and he doesn't start again until the Bungles, he would be off from 09/29-10/19. That should give him all the rest he needs to heal that shoulder.
If there was ever a game Leftwich would win it would be against the Jags. I find it hard to believe he would get up for that one. I think I'm wicked smart, and the Steelers need me going forward. This would be a win, win for all of us.