PDA

View Full Version : Porter out!

augustashark
10-12-2006, 06:28 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06285/729423-66.stm

All hands on deck! Time to come out like a wounded dog!

Blitzburgh55
10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
:cursin: Damn that sucks

AZ_Steeler
10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Wow! This sucks... it really sucks! hopefully someone will step up in place of Porter and we won't be missed so much.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Damnit !!!!!!!!!!!! If Harrison wasn't out this week I wouldn't be so upset. But with both of them out that means Arnold Harrison is gonna have to step up to the plate.

Blitzburgh55
10-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Damnit !!!!!!!!!!!! If Harrison wasn't out this week I wouldn't be so upset. But with both of them out that means Arnold Harrison is gonna have to step up to the plate.

Isnt chad brown playin

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I can't see chad brown starting this week just yet. He hasn't been in our system in a LONG time. Arnold Harrison is a good backup LB so it's safe bed that Arnold will get the start for now and then see how it goes.

House of Steel
10-12-2006, 07:05 PM
No time to panic yet, I think we can still win this game, but boy this sure does weaken the left side of the defensive line though.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-12-2006, 07:38 PM
What the hell has Porter done all year? No big loss in my opinion.

AZ_Steeler
10-12-2006, 07:43 PM
What the hell has Porter done all year? No big loss in my opinion.

I was thinking the same thing becuse there were 2 games in a row where he only recorded an assist in each game. He has only 8 tacles 4 assists and 2 sacks in 4 games, those numbers could easily be duplicated in a single game by anyone!

suitanim
10-13-2006, 10:53 AM
This will have a very big impact on our passing defense. Porter has a ton of responsibility on our D, which is part of the reason his stats suffer...he drops back into coverage, plays a lot of contain, etc, etc...with him out, and the secondary thin, it changes the whole complexion of our defensive strategy.

It will be difficult to replace him...

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-13-2006, 01:02 PM
This will have a very big impact on our passing defense. Porter has a ton of responsibility on our D, which is part of the reason his stats suffer...he drops back into coverage, plays a lot of contain, etc, etc...with him out, and the secondary thin, it changes the whole complexion of our defensive strategy.

It will be difficult to replace him...

We will be fine without Joey.

suitanim
10-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Stats aren't everything. You just don't replace a guy who knows every intricacy of perhaps the most complicated defense in the NFL with an inexperienced guy who never plays, or a guy who's best years are far behind him. But don't take my word for it, read this...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/01/26/ramblings/every-play-counts/3580/

Like every linebacker, Porter disguises his blitzes, sometimes lining up as if he is going to blitz and then dropping into coverage, other times acting like he plans to cover a receiver and then rushing the quarterback. But what makes Porter unique is the extent to which he conceals his plans. On the first play of Denver’s second drive, Porter lined up at outside linebacker, faked a blitz by taking four steps into the Broncos’ backfield, then turned around and ran back into coverage in the flat. Porter didn’t have any impact on that play, but that was just the opening gambit in a chess match that he ultimately won against the Broncos’ offense.

But he knows that those are the types of plays that get linebackers burned for long gains when the quarterback fakes the handoff and rolls to the outside, so he stayed at home on the play, ready to make the tackle if Plummer had kept the ball on a bootleg or handed it off on an end-around. He’s a very disciplined player.