PDA

View Full Version : More injuries.. Porter & Townsend - hamstring

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2006, 11:42 PM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/10055424/detail.html

PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said the Pittsburgh Steelers practice well, then play poorly. Now, even the practices are becoming a problem.

Two key defensive starters -- linebacker Joey Porter and cornerback Deshea Townsend -- left practice early with hamstring injuries. Coach Bill Cowher listed both as questionable for Sunday's home game against Kansas City.

Cowher said his staff will make contingency plans in case either or both players can't go.

The Steelers already were thin at both positions. James Harrison, the top backup at linebacker, will miss at least one game with a sprained ankle. Cornerback Ricardo Colclough went on the injured reserve list last weekend with a neck injury and will miss the rest of the season.

The Steelers have lost three in a row after winning their opener. The Chiefs are 2-2.

This is NOT what we need right now. We're ok at CB, because McFadden can step up to the plate but it will affect our depth some. If Joey can't go, then that means that since James Harrison is down for atleast this week, Arnold Harrison should step up to the plate, and Rian Wallace will step up in special teams too. Kriedwalt will be in the mix too. Ugh !!! :nonod:

Steelersfan
10-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Not that I want to see these guys get hurt but maybe it could turn out to be a good thing. Get some new players in that are hungry and what to make the most of it. Could just add a little spark to this team.
Yes I am trying to stay positive.....lol

House of Steel
10-11-2006, 11:47 PM
OH this is becoming a disgrace now. :bsflag:

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-11-2006, 11:47 PM
It ain't gameday yet !!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Here is the Post Gazette's article..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06285/729367-66.stm

The Steelers practiced under cover yesterday because it rained, and then it poured injuries on them indoors.

Linebacker Joey Porter and cornerback Deshea Townsend left practice with hamstring injuries and coach Bill Cowher listed them as questionable for Sunday's game against Kansas City. It wasn't the preferred start to a week of practice for the defending Super Bowl champions who are trying to snap a three-game losing streak.

"I'm good," Porter said before he headed to the trainer's room to have his left hamstring injury evaluated. "I'm going to find out right now. I don't know the situation."

Glum was one way to describe much of the team's mood after the two injuries, although they did not express it outwardly. Adding to the problem of possibly losing a Pro Bowl outside linebacker, the Steelers already lost their top backup when James Harrison was ruled out this week because of a high ankle sprain.

That would mean if Porter cannot start, Arnold Harrison would. He spent his rookie season on their practice squad and was put on the 53-man roster for the Super Bowl because of an injury, but he did not play. He has played on special teams this season and one snap on defense Sunday night.

If Townsend cannot play, Bryant McFadden would start and rookie Anthony Madison, signed from the practice squad Saturday, would become No. 3.

"We have some young guys, but around here, when a guy goes down a new guy steps in," linebacker Larry Foote said.

Rookie Rian Wallace, an inside linebacker by trade, also can play outside linebacker and practiced there in training camp. He already was tabbed to replace James Harrison on special teams.

"Ah, man, that's the name of the business," Arnold Harrison said. "Football's a contact sport and it's made for tough people. You can be sitting there, not even on the team, at home and next thing you know you could be playing.

"Wilder things have happened than a backup linebacker winding up starting. I'm here to fill in when my name's called and I'm going to do the best job I can when the opportunity presents itself."

Steelersfan
10-12-2006, 12:51 AM
They will be even more "glum" if they lose this game so they the rest of the team better be ready!

SteelerFan87
10-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Well Harrison better be ready, because you know the Chiefs are going to run right at him alot now.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Glum was one way to describe much of the team's mood after the two injuries, although they did not express it outwardly. Adding to the problem of possibly losing a Pro Bowl outside linebacker, the Steelers already lost their top backup when James Harrison was ruled out this week because of a high ankle sprain.

That is just not what I wanted to hear...this team has dug itself a hole, now is not the time to feel sorry for ourselves or be down and depressed.. it's time to rally !!

suitanim
10-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm worried about CB for nickel and dime packages...otherwise I think we can weather this storm.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-12-2006, 09:53 AM
I rather get the injury bug out of the way in the early part of the season. Every team has injuries. Now come sunday. We will shut down LJ and the chiefs offense. I expect Ben and co. To be sharper on offense. Time to start a winning streak. :tt02:

AZ_Steeler
10-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Hopefully, these are very minor and a day or two off will help at least Porter. We can do w/o Townsend because McFadden will fill in quite nicely. It's only Thursday though and everything should be all right. Look at the brightside... at least they weren't listed as "doubtful" :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Kiesel is listed as questionable too...bruised rib. I think he'll probably play with some extra pads if necessary.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm worried about CB for nickel and dime packages...otherwise I think we can weather this storm.

They'll have to use an extra safety if it comes to that. Logan can do it, so can our new rookie Anthony Smith so we'll see how it goes.

Prosdo
10-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Not good news. Hopefully they are back soon.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Well I heard Larry Johnson missed practice the other day. So he might not play Sunday. Trent Green is the Chiefs second leading rusher so far this year.lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2006, 05:40 PM
This is liable to be the "walking wounded bowl" if we keep going at this pace...

House of Steel
10-12-2006, 06:21 PM
They said Larry Johnson is to play this Sunday, but he is going to have hell coming at him from our Defense and the matchup strongly favors us.

AZ_Steeler
10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Whether Johnson plays or not he hasn't done much this season. The Chiefs o-line took a huge hit this off-season and it's showing.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-12-2006, 06:45 PM
The Steelers D will hold LJ under 100 yards.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Well I think the Steelers defense will shut down LJ also. I just thought if he didn't play that it was funny that Trent Green was the Chiefs second leading rusher this year.

K Train
10-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Ok time to stay positive.
Mcfadden is a beast...i think he should be playing over townsend anyway..just my :2cents:
Bailey can play for or sub in for keisel if neccesarry, that why we have him
Anthony smith is a beast and could see some playing time in passng situations
Porter is great, but we can plug LBs in our defense and be successful
And for gods sake ben get a TD, 1 thats all i ask and it should come easy to him again.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2006, 10:56 PM
This is when Im glad we kept that extra DB and LB when the 53 man roster was made.