PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig will be key this weekend

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Hartwig will get a good test vs Shaun Rogers this weekend, although considering how poorly they played last weekend maybe not :greengrin: Dallas' offensive line is one of the best in football so it's no wonder Cleveland had problems. I don't think Rogers is as good a fit for their defense as they think and a stoudt Center should be able to handle him, Hartwig will be key this weekend. He talks about the challenge this weekend here in an article in the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08255/911205-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML)

The offensive linemen did not get 48 hours to bask in their first-game success when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin rubbed the glow off their mugs.

On Tuesday, before the first question was fired, Tomlin pointed smack to the middle of his offensive line to present the biggest challenge of the next game.

He called new Cleveland Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers "a very big, powerful and athletic man," then put the onus square on his own new center.

"We will get to know a little bit more about Justin Hartwig pretty quickly here this weekend," Tomlin said. Rogers "is going to be a force to be reckoned with."

Hartwig's reaction?

"I'm not going to worry about what people say. I'm just going to concentrate on what I'm doing. That's all I can do."

Yet Hartwig, 6 feet 4 and listed at 312 pounds, agreed with his coach that blocking the 6-4 nose tackle, who is listed at 350 pounds, will put him and the line to a test.

"Typically, a lot of teams do a lot of double-teams on him and for good reason. He gets vertical push on centers and that's going to be the challenge. We'll have to try to get a couple guys on him."

So many nose tackles got vertical pushes -- a k a beat him like a drum -- on Sean Mahan last season that he's back in Tampa Bay today. Mahan, who began the season weighing about 300 pounds and proceeded to lose weight, could not handle the big nose tackles. That is why they signed Hartwig, who was a good center in Tennessee when he faced Rogers, then with Detroit, in 2004. Hartwig and the Titans held Rogers and the Lions sackless in a 24-19 victory that day.

"It went all right," Hartwig said of that meeting.

It won't just be Hartwig's job, the entire line will have to repeat their boffo opening-day performance. Hartwig will get help from his guards on Rogers, acquired in a trade from Detroit by the Browns to play in the middle of their 3-4 defense.

"You have a guy that big, you're not going to leave one guy on him unless you find a center his size," guard Kendall Simmons said. "You double-team him."

The Steelers' offensive line took its own bows after their 38-17 victory against Houston. They easily were the biggest question coming into this season, especially after Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 47 times last year, second most in franchise history.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-11-2008, 07:25 AM
It won't be just up to Hartwig , the whole line has to keep playing like that!!

yinzer
09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
rogers will have to be double teamed. that's not saying anything bad about hartwig, it's just that rogers is damn good. i believe, throughout the game, that rogers' conditioning will get the best of him. but kemo has to step up while rogers is being double teamed. WE NEED TO PROTECT BEN... PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!

Stairwayto7
09-11-2008, 10:54 AM
They looked great, our O line, run blocking. And run blocking is more difficult than pass blocking. hopefully our game plan will keep them on thier toes, and this will help our O line also. We had great play calling last week.

jpele
09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree Rogers will be a load to handle but not for more than a 1/4 . Then as yinzer said he'll wear down and the running game will take off.

LatrobePA
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Is Rogers the same player that kept having his helmet popping off his mellon all day against the boys?

AZ_Steeler
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm just not ready to say the Steeler o-line is looking good... they've only played one game! I would like to see them continue that trend and give Ben the protection he needs and open up holes that FWP really needs! :bigthumb: After I see some consistency then I'll be content to say the line has improved.

jpele
09-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm just not ready to say the Steeler o-line is looking good... they've only played one game! I would like to see them continue that trend and give Ben the protection he needs and open up holes that FWP really needs! :bigthumb: After I see some consistency then I'll be content to say the line has improved.

Remember we beat them last year twice with Mahan.:greengrin:

Dean Denton
09-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Hartwig will be key every week. He's the center, and the most impoortant part of the team. If he fails, the entire O-line fails.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I say use the no huddle frequently and gas that fat pig Shaun Rogers....Tire that fat *** out and he will be worthless......I'm can't wait for this game....I'm so tired of hearing about the Browns and I can't wait to see the Steelers stomp them....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I say use the no huddle frequently and gas that fat pig Shaun Rogers....Tire that fat *** out and he will be worthless......I'm can't wait for this game....I'm so tired of hearing about the Browns and I can't wait to see the Steelers stomp them....

Hell yeah, all we've heard all offseason is how great the Browns are going to be, now we can finally kick their *** again and maybe they'll realize they're team ain't all it's cracked up to be just yet.

I would love to see the team use the no huddle, even right out of the gate. That would catch them off guard and would definitely help in the protection of Ben by wearing out the big guys like Rogers. I have no doubt Hartwig can do the job but it wouldn't surprise me to see them give him alittle help periodically just to be safe.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
No huddle is a fantastic idea for this week. It will keep a very depleated secondary on the field as well as tire out lazy *** rogers (not biased, as a former nose tackle he is one of my favorite players!) It will also help Ben, holmes, ward and miller find a rhythm early. Start the no huddle from the get go, as they suck up to stop the run and short pass game, hit'em with the PA deep!!

I can tell im not gonna get much sleep this weekend!!!!

Silverback 92
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Ben is great with the no huddle I wish we did it more often

ejsteeler
09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm pumped as well. Folks around me are all ready sick of hearing about it. :cope:
I just jumped over to the USA Today power rankings and they actually have us first with the Clowns at 23. Of course two fo the analysts have them winning this weekend. :rant2: Not going to happen. :nono: :tt02:

K Train
09-11-2008, 03:35 PM
rogers got exposed in a 34, hes just a bad fit for it and they ran right at him....hes good for like 15 snaps a game and can rush the passer from the interior but his production drops way off as the game goes on. he looks like the love child between romeo crennel and a bear

DawgBone
09-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Better hope you have the guys to double team Rogers. Our line should be a lot better against the Steelers unproven offensive line. You guys did great against Mario Williams line. Just better hope they can be consistent.

Our offense should be a lot better also. Better hope the defense can hold up too. Which they probably will do.

K Train
09-11-2008, 03:49 PM
anderson is a joke, starting 8/11 and finishing 0/9 is typical anderson, our defense is better than the cowboys and anderson typically doesnt take long to shut down against us....steelers win by at least 21

DBR96A
09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Better hope you have the guys to double team Rogers. Our line should be a lot better against the Steelers unproven offensive line.

And your defensive line is somehow "proven"? :willybs:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2008, 06:06 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_587794.html

Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton is considered one of the best in the business.

But when it comes to taking on multiple blockers and not ceding an inch or caving in offensive lines, Hampton defers to at least one player.

And that is his close friend and fellow buffet buster Shaun Rogers.

"When he wants to play and puts his mind to it, I think he's the best in the league," said Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowl selection. "You've just got to grab him and hold on."

Unfortunately for new Steelers center Justin Hartwig, the NFL is not likely to make holding legal before Sunday night. And if Hartwig doesn't hold his own against the 6-foot-4, 350-pound Rogers, the Browns could snap a nine-game losing streak to the Steelers, one that dates to 2003.

The Hartwig-Rogers matchup will be one of the key ones Sunday night in the 8:15 game at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Nothing could have better prepared Hartwig for Sunday than going against Hampton this week at practice.

The eighth-year veteran has proven to be an immovable force in the Steelers' 3-4 defense.

While he doesn't make many tackles, he showed how disruptive he can be in the Steelers' 38-17 win over the Texans. He sabotaged a Houston running play by pushing Texans center Chris Myers into the backfield almost immediately after the ball had snapped.

JensK
09-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Better hope you have the guys to double team Rogers. Our line should be a lot better against the Steelers unproven offensive line. You guys did great against Mario Williams line. Just better hope they can be consistent.

Our offense should be a lot better also. Better hope the defense can hold up too. Which they probably will do.

Neither of your lines is "proven" at all.

Tell me, why should you offence be a lot better? Stallworth is still out, Cribbs wont be healthy and so on. Rest of your offensive players played terrible, at least, against dallas, so i really don't see how you can state that you'll step up against a much better defence. :/

yinzer
09-12-2008, 12:19 PM

rogers is good. no doubt. he will have to be accounted for. but one man isn't going to be the deciding factor in this game.

ejsteeler
09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Hambone is just throwing up a hail mary hoping and praying he will be able to come back and say I told you so.
I admit, it should be a good game. Records and injuries seem to play less a factor in good rivalries than in other situations and this is one of the best. Even though we have dominated lately, it is still a hard fought game.
Of course, I believe we will win though. I can't wait to hear the ruckus Monday. :cope:

steelcitysfinestXL
09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
This kinda talk from Dawgs seems to be the common theme of a Browns fans in denial. If you look at their messege boards, you have a knowlegdeable fan say "I really dont see much chance of this browns team beating the steelers, this one could get ugly!"

The you have another guy say "The Browns are gonna blow out the Steelers. We lost to the best team in football in Dallas, the Steelers arent Dallas." I just wanna know WHY all these misinformed Browns fans think THIS is the week to turn it all around!?!?

This game is gonna come down to: "Who controls the Clock?" We are a much better Defense than the browns (or Dallas) and a much better running team.That being said, i believe our o is gonna have plenty of oppurtunities. DA is widely inconsistant, so how is anybody gonna say how he will fare! If he cant get it done, does anyone really think J-lew is gonna be able to run at will on our D!?!? NO! If we can get up early, Lewis will be a non-factor and we can line up and take shots at will on DA! If that happens the game will be over before the half!

Im not sayin this game wont start out close. But i really believe that we are gonna win the battle up front on both side of the ball. Add that to the fact the Browns secondary is *** cheeks and their WR is backed by a guy named Steptoe and Braylon "oops" Edwards, i dont see this game being close for too long past the 3rd quarter! As far as DA goes, i'd honestly be a lil more nervous if he got hit by a truck right now and Brady Quinn got the nod sunday night!!

Captcoolhand
09-13-2008, 10:42 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_587794.html
just wanted to add a piece here.....

Steelers center Justin Hartwig was a junior at Kansas when the Jayhawks lost to the Longhorns, 51-16, in 2000, Hampton and Rogers' final season. But Hartwig was granted the equivalent of a governor's pardon because he was a right tackle in college.

"I didn't have to block 'em," Hartwig said.

He will tomorrow, one of 'em, at least.

Hampton and Rogers will be on the same field again when the Steelers (1-0) and Browns (0-1) meet in Cleveland, but they will be in different uniforms and on different sidelines -- a comforting thought to Hartwig and just about any other center that had the daunting task of lining across from them in college.

Hampton was the Steelers' No. 1 draft pick in 2001 and has been to four consecutive Pro Bowls. Rogers was a No. 2 draft choice of the Detroit Lions and was acquired by the Browns in an offseason trade to perform the same role as Hampton -- anchor the middle of their 3-4 defense.
They still live near each other in Houston during the offseason and talk on the phone all the time.
"
You couldn't double-team both of us, so there was always going to be one guy free," Hampton said. "That was always a plus."

Hampton still is no stranger to double-team blocks, getting them frequently but using them to create space for the inside linebackers, such as Farrior, to make tackles. When he is single-blocked, he can do what he did last week to Houston center Chris Myers -- push him with one arm into the backfield, right into running back Steve Slaton and forcing a 2-yard loss.

Rogers can do the same thing. Problem is, he doesn't have the linebackers around him like Hampton.

"He's the type of guy no one wants to play," Hampton said. "You can't block him with one person. You have to double-team him all the time.

"You can't believe how athletic he is. When he wants to go, you can't block him. I don't care who it is. Not one of our lineman can block him by himself, there's no question about that.

"It's definitely a plus when you got a guy who's disruptive like that and demands two people to block him all the time."
Sound familiar?

Hampton looked like his usual self against the Texans, making good on his preseason promise that he would be ready for the regular-season opener.

That declaration came in the wake of being placed on the physically unable to perform list at the start of training camp, a punishment he was given for reporting nearly 40 pounds overweight.

Hampton will not disclose how much he has lost since the start of training camp, but his teammates say he has continued his extra workouts and is still watching what he is eating.

"Every time I go in the weight room, he's on the bike or something," Keisel said.

"He understands how valuable he is to all of us. He's a beast. He's one of the best in the league. That's one of the reasons he's been to four straight Pro Bowls."

"I'm a football player -- when it's time to play ball, I play ball. My play on the field has never been questioned. My weight has never been an issue. I don't care how much I weigh. I'm in good football shape, that's all that matters." you hit the head on the nail TG, Justin Hartwig will have to bring it hard against the Browns if he wants any chances of proving he's the real deal.

Hampton is 6-foot-1, 330 pounds. Rogers is 6-foot-4, 350 pounds.Funny....Hampton is overweight but Rogers is fine.....:lol:
Like they said during last weeks game against Texas, He probably weigh's more in the ball park of 400#'s :thinking:

Iron City South
09-13-2008, 02:07 PM
just wanted to add a piece here.....
you hit the head on the nail TG, Justin Hartwig will have to bring it hard against the Browns if he wants any chances of proving he's the real deal.
Funny....Hampton is overweight but Rogers is fine.....:lol:
Like they said during last weeks game against Texas, He probably weigh's more in the ball park of 400#'s :thinking:

Fat Casey is barely 6'0" tall and plays at 335 lbs ..... but came into camp at a reported soft 365 lbs. fat tub of **** ...

Shawn Rodgers is just over 6'4" and has ALWAYS played at 354lbs!! That's his PLAYING WEIGHT! .... Sorry, that's a lot bigger man than Casey.

That's the difference .... one is much bigger and in shape at his playing weight .... and the other was busy eating Moon Pies and Chicken Wings all offseason :yesnod:

K Train
09-13-2008, 02:27 PM
dont make rogers seem all dedicated, hes one of tha laziest players ive ever seen, can dominate when he wants to but takes alot of plays off which is why he was a second round pick and casey was a first...rogers is no 34 NT, he was exposed last week just like ive said all along

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2008, 05:35 PM
dont make rogers seem all dedicated, hes one of tha laziest players ive ever seen, can dominate when he wants to but takes alot of plays off which is why he was a second round pick and casey was a first...rogers is no 34 NT, he was exposed last week just like ive said all along

Both Rogers and Williams are terrible fits for the 3-4.....Only way they improve the Browns DL is on passing situations when they can rush the passer...I knew both would struggle in the run game....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-15-2008, 09:30 AM
So what did you think of Hartwig? Overall he played pretty darn well. Rogers is a guy that you can't stop every single play, he's going to get some pressure and make an impact most of the time. Hartwig and Kemo both did a really good job on him the majority of the day. I was watching pretty closely and there were many times when Justin was 1 on 1 vs big baby ( BTW what the hell kinda name is that ) and he was able to keep him in check. The key was that whatever way he started to go to just keep him in that area and not try to redirect him and they did a good job with that, it allowed FWP to go the other way and gain good yards.

BlackGold4vr
09-15-2008, 09:55 AM
I like Hartwig. He is no Mike Webster or Dermotti Dawson but he is worlds better than the turnstile. Did you see some of the huge running lanes being opened up for Willie? These guys are only going to get better and better as the year goes on. I also think Kemoeatu is doing a great job! In fact I would rather have him at LG than Alan Faneca who was a whining bitch. Kemo is a road grater who seeks to punish his blocking assignments. I love watching Kemo pulling on a run play looking for a LB or a CB to obliterate. :lol:

IMO: losing turnstile and replacing him with Hartwig has made much more of an impact on our O-line than losing Faneca did. To be truthful I don't see much dropoff with Kemoeatu at all. I watched the Jets game this weekend too and I kept finding myself saying thank God Faneca is on this team and not mine! :2cents: