PDA

View Full Version : Ben's shoulder "a little sore" - **Update 9/13, should play vs Browns

NOVA STEELERS
09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Tomlin: Roethlisberger's shoulder 'a little sore'

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be limited in practice Wednesday by a minor shoulder problem but coach Mike Tomlin said it is nothing serious. "He's just a little sore," Tomlin said today at his weekly news conference. Other Steelers that won't participate fully in practice include left tackle Marvel Smith (groin strain) and cornerback Deshea Townsend (heel contusion). Both, along with Roethlisberger, are expected to play Sunday night when the Steelers try to run their winning streak against the Cleveland Browns. The Browns are coming off a 10-win season and are expected to challenge the Steelers for the AFC North title this season.
Cleveland is coming off a disappointing 28-10 loss to Dallas at home but Tomlin said he expects the Browns to be much better in the second week of the season.
"A lot has been said and written about what this (Cleveland) is capable of," Tomlin said, "and deservedly so." Two Steelers are up for NFL honors following the first week of the season. Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley is one of five finalists for the Defensive Player of the Week award while running back Willie Parker is one of three finalists for the FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week. Parker, playing in his first regular-season game since breaking his lower right leg last December, rushed for 138 yards and a career-high three touchdowns in the Steelers' 38-17 win over the Texans.
Woodley, making his first career start, had a sack and his first-career interception against the Texans. He also recovered a fumble. Winners for the weekly awards are determined by fan voting.

VOTE HERE
To vote for the defensive player of the week go here (http://nfl.com/gmc).
To vote for the NFL Player of the Week go here (http://www.nfl.com/fedex).

Not good when after the first game, already alittle banged up :evilshake: :duh:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
09-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I thought he looked a little banged up when he went out..but i don't think it's anything serious.I'm sure he'll be 100% Sunday night when the lights come on.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Christ its the NFL.....Every player in the NFL is alittle banged up now after the first game...Its a contact sport...lol

Dean Denton
09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
See what happens when you let 300 pounders snack your QB from behind. It was that friggin Tomahawk chop from Williams that has Bens arm hurting. After the hit, he then fell on him. O-line gets D- grade if Ben stays hurt.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-09-2008, 07:02 PM
See what happens when you let 300 pounders snack your QB from behind. It was that friggin Tomahawk chop from Williams that has Bens arm hurting. After the hit, he then fell on him. O-line gets D- grade if Ben stays hurt.

Calm down.......:lol: I swear Steelers fans are the worse at over reacting....He is not even hurt....He is sore...Which is common place for all NFL players after playing a football game....:lol:

AZ_Steeler
09-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Dean has a point though... Ben can't continue to take hits every week. He might be sore now and it's no biggie, but a few more hits and it might be something a little more severe. Both of Bens sacks came from the blind side which is the worst place for a QB to take a hit!

SteelerSal
09-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Not a big deal, like BGF32 posted, he is sore and I'm sure most of the rest of the team is sore.
Anybody knows that have ever played organized football, actually saw the field and was not a benchwarmer and played 110% every down, that the next couple of days your body will be sore.:yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
To the point made here, you cannot let 300 lb linemen beat up your Qb week in and week out. Lets have at least one game where he remains upright.

yinzer
09-09-2008, 08:02 PM
all i know is that the o line better protect our franchise

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
That hit he took from Mario Williams was enough to make anyone alittle sore. He was able to come back and play just fine. It's the first week and the guys are just getting used to being hit again and waking up monday morning not being able to function properly until mid week after some rehab and time in the trainers room. He'll be fine.

ToothAche
09-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Holy Crap the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!!!

:poopfan:

Clevelandsux
09-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I heard it's no big deal.

My friend called me and told me Braylon edwards has been shooting off his mouth. Yes the same Braylon edwards who dropped like 4 balls sunday.

I can't confirm this yet, that why I haven't made it a thread. But, apparently Edwards said that the Steelers are going to use this Roethlisberger "injury" as an excuse when the Browns beat us sunday night.

Like I said I haven't seen it yet. But, I hope it's true! Why? Because I just want Edwards to give us more reason to want to kick there asses.

If anyone has heard anything of this story, let me know.

yinzer
09-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I heard it's no big deal.

My friend called me and told me Braylon edwards has been shooting off his mouth. Yes the same Braylon edwards who dropped like 4 balls sunday.

I can't confirm this yet, that why I haven't made it a thread. But, apparently Edwards said that the Steelers are going to use this Roethlisberger "injury" as an excuse when the Browns beat us sunday night.

Like I said I haven't seen it yet. But, I hope it's true! Why? Because I just want Edwards to give us more reason to want to kick there asses.

If anyone has heard anything of this story, let me know.

edwards is just trying to get in their heads. who cares? there's shiat talking every week in every game. this is no different. edwards is saying that because he's scared.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
To the point made here, you cannot let 300 lb linemen beat up your Qb week in and week out. Lets have at least one game where he remains upright.

Ok.....Lets just wrap Ben up in a plastic bubble....:lol: He is an NFL QB that is going to take some shots in the course of the season....I agree protecting the franchise is important.....But only giving up two sacks is a start....Yea there was only 17 pass plays called when Ben was in the game which Ben only had 15 official attempts...two sacks is a bit much with those 15 sacks...But still I thought the OL was solid for the most part and its a start...Hartwig actually held his ground...Which we all know last year Mahan was pushed back all year at center....

He is sore and thats it.....He isn't injured....Lets not make a bigger deal then this has to be.........Hopefully this was a stepping stone for the OL....

Plus Mario Williams is good football player in his own right...No shock he netted some sacks...

Clevelandsux
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
edwards is just trying to get in their heads. who cares? there's shiat talking every week in every game. this is no different. edwards is saying that because he's scared.

Yah, but remember how Anthony Smith fired up NE last year. I think this would certainly fire up Harrison, Woodley and co.

I mean we beat the Clowns on such a regular basis, it probably isn't a huge challenge for them anymore. I think this will certainly fire them up.:tt02:

jpele
09-10-2008, 09:41 AM
This has me more concerned than Ben's shoulder:

Injury updates
Besides Roethlisberger, the Steelers have two minor injuries from the game Sunday. Offensive left tackle Marvel Smith "has what can be characterized as a groin strain,"' Tomlin said. "He will probably be limited (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08254/910805-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml) here in the first part of the week."

TampaSteelGirl
09-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Well considering he hasn't played 3 to 4 quarters of football since last year i'm sure he's going to be sore, not to mention the couple big hits he took. I think he'll be fine for the game Sunday!! :tt02:

I'm sure they all have some type of soreness.

LatrobePA
09-10-2008, 10:52 AM
That hit he took from Mario Williams was enough to make anyone alittle sore. He was able to come back and play just fine. It's the first week and the guys are just getting used to being hit again and waking up monday morning not being able to function properly until mid week after some rehab and time in the trainers room. He'll be fine.

Hell I feel that way all the time and I sit on my *** day in and day out at work....Ben will be fine, they are baiting the stains!!

Dean Denton
09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Dean has a point though... Ben can't continue to take hits every week. He might be sore now and it's no biggie, but a few more hits and it might be something a little more severe. Both of Bens sacks came from the blind side which is the worst place for a QB to take a hit!
Thats what I'm talking about. I'm not over reacting. You cant let 300 pounders come ripping through the O-line, and smashing your QB like that. Thats all I'm saying. Pain or just being sore always leads to injury if you dont fix it. And when I say fix it, I'm talking about the pass protection.
After the first few games everyone is sore, but not everyone fels like they just spent the morning in a prison shower.....:rant2:

HUNT4SEVEN
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=SteelerSal;227754]Not a big deal, like BGF32 posted, he is sore and I'm sure most of the rest of the team is sore.
Anybody knows that have ever played organized football, actually saw the field and was not a benchwarmer and played 110% every down, that the next couple of days your body will be sore.:yellowthumb:[/QUOTE Bench Warmer LOL :hilarious::hilarious::banana:, but i agree, Ben will b n the hot tub Wed an Thurs day, an Sunday we won't even notice that his shoulder was sore when he throws 5 touchdown passes against the Clowns:tt02::cope: GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!

Stairwayto7
09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I`m a little worried.

Dean Denton
09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
I`m a little worried.
Me too. If it was nothing, they wouldn't talk about it at all. He was hit pretty hard. They just showed it on espn. Then they said that he was ok.

steelerschick1220
09-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not too worried. I am sure that every player on the team is a little bit sore. Ben would play in a freakin body cast if he could. It will take more then a sore shoulder to keep him down.

Clevelandsux
09-10-2008, 06:37 PM
It's nothing. The team has to put out injury reports. He played the whole 3rd qtr. after the hit. He's fine.

Stairwayto7
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm not too worried. I am sure that every player on the team is a little bit sore. Ben would play in a freakin body cast if he could. It will take more then a sore shoulder to keep him down.

I expect linemen, and defensive players and of course running backs to be sore, but the main goal is to score and keep your QB upright. This was only game one, just two or three hard hits. This cannot go on all year again.
Ben never went deep Sunday, and he threw very few passes in the second half. Maybe it wasnt just the big lead? I`m sure he`ll be alright this week, but how many times can he get lit up?

Silverback 92
09-10-2008, 08:21 PM
SNF Ben will be ready to roll !!!

SteelersWoman
09-11-2008, 05:58 AM
I had heard this before, but they said it again earlier Wednesday evening on NFLN...

Ben has NEVER lost an Ohio game. He's won against the Bengals and Browns every time (the Ohio wins include our HOF game). They said he LOVES to play here since it's his home state :D

BlitzburghRockCity
09-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Ben does love ohio, but not all of ohio loves Ben..LOL. You can bet the Clowns priority number 1 is to Ben on his back as often as possible. He will need to have his head on a swivel and the OL will have to get things under control early. I like Ben's chances vs a banged up secondary of Cleveland :cope:

Dean Denton
09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
He should be fine. If there is any pain they have shots for that. Ben will be getting up for an Ohio game no matter what. I would think this should be another 30+ points game for us.

steelerschick1220
09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I expect linemen, and defensive players and of course running backs to be sore, but the main goal is to score and keep your QB upright. This was only game one, just two or three hard hits. This cannot go on all year again.
Ben never went deep Sunday, and he threw very few passes in the second half. Maybe it wasnt just the big lead? I`m sure he`ll be alright this week, but how many times can he get lit up?

I agree that he can't keep getting hit all year, but he is just sore and he did play the entire third quarter. I thinking why he didn't throw was because we had the big lead. I think he will be fine as well for sunday night, but you are right that he can't keep getting hit every game.

I think if we win this game Ben will be 10-0 in the state of Ohio. That is pretty cool.

SteelersWoman
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
... I thinking why he didn't throw was because we had the big lead....

Exactly--we were just eatin up the clock (no reason to risk an interception either). That's just Steeler football :helmet:

I think if we win this game Ben will be 10-0 in the state of Ohio. That is pretty cool.

That would be VERY cool :tt02:

SteelerSteve
09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
He was sacked twice big ****ing deal. Its understandable that the Texans d-line got a little pressure on him. He'll have all day to throw this sunday so it doesn't even matter.:2cents:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-12-2008, 12:50 AM
you can't go through a season without taking a sack,or two.If the big guy got two each game he would have what..........32? Maybe he is saying he is sore to step up the protection even more.He has stated that he trusts his o-line.Maybe it was him. He is working on getting rid of the ball sooner.Just don't freak out!!!!!!!I hope he gets 38,with 2 per game that leaves two for the superbowl.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-12-2008, 07:02 AM
He'll be ready to go don't worry about that..

Deshea's injury might keep him out there which will pave the way for McFadden to show us what he's got.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08256/911635-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Friday, September 12, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Coach Mike Tomlin is proceeding cautiously with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, limiting his work in practice but still planning on him playing Sunday night against the Cleveland Browns.

Roethlisberger returned to practice yesterday but did little more than attempt handoffs because of a sore right shoulder that was injured against the Houston Texans. However, he is expected to do more today.

"He's pushing toward game-readiness," Tomlin said. "We have to take it day by day. Sunday we'll go out and play and he'll be a part of that and there will be no excuses."

While Roethlisberger and left tackle Marvel Smith (groin) returned to practice, cornerback Deshea Townsend (heel contusion) missed his second day in a row. Tomlin said he doesn't know if the 11-year veteran can play Sunday.

"I really don't have an answer to that right now," Tomlin said. "He wasn't good enough to go today. As of right now, he's not game ready."

steelerschick1220
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Just like I thought. Ben will be good to go and I am pretty confident that he will have an excellent game.

LatrobePA
09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
The two sacks were because of a blown play:

Smith was suppose to shift left he screwed up and went right, same thing with #68 on the second sack.

This is a very fixable problem, look for the line to be even better this week....

SteelerSal
09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
The two sacks were because of a blown play:

Smith was suppose to shift left he screwed up and went right, same thing with #68 on the second sack.

This is a very fixable problem, look for the line to be even better this week....

I feel the same about the line. I'm nowhere near as worried about the line play this season as I was last year.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm sure Ben could have done more in practice....But I don't blame Tomlin at all for limiting Ben yesterday....Smart move by Tomlin....We all know and so does Tomlin that Ben is a gamer.....I remember reading reports were Ben had crappy practices in the past and he still shined on game day.....

Stairwayto7
09-12-2008, 06:22 PM
ESPN reported he will throw limited throws Sun.

do we believe that, or do we think that he is pulling a patsies here. And Ben goes deep first play of the game?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm sure Ben could have done more in practice....But I don't blame Tomlin at all for limiting Ben yesterday....Smart move by Tomlin....We all know and so does Tomlin that Ben is a gamer.....I remember reading reports were Ben had crappy practices in the past and he still shined on game day.....

Im glad he limited Ben this week, no sense letting him go full bore in practice and making things worse. Ben is definitely a gamer and he'll be ready come sunday. I don't expect him to throw less during the game or them to alter their game plan much at all if any. He'll be ready.

K Train
09-13-2008, 10:51 PM
i heard he was throwing with alot of zip today and no restrictions....this is a non story

Iron City South
09-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Let's be honest, Ben's been a "drama" king since the day he put on a Steelers uniform. Every season he bitches and moans to the media about every little ache and pain. You would have thought that by now .... someone would have told him to suck it up and shut the cakehole. Don't give the media anything ...

Black@Gold Forever32
09-13-2008, 11:45 PM
i heard he was throwing with alot of zip today and no restrictions....this is a non story

Some fans just freak out and over react...I never was worried about Ben.....Of course he is some what sore after taking a couple hits...Its NFL football.....Ben farts and it is news.....:lol:

Stairwayto7
09-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Within the first three Steelers offensive plays, I say he will go deep to Santonio

Clevelandsux
09-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Let's be honest, Ben's been a "drama" king since the day he put on a Steelers uniform. Every season he bitches and moans to the media about every little ache and pain. You would have thought that by now .... someone would have told him to suck it up and shut the cakehole. Don't give the media anything ...

I love Ben. but you are right on this. Like last year him complaining about throwing a wet football vs Cincy or the elements.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
I think this was blown out of proportion.

SteelerSteve
09-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Ben said anything to the media about this. Unless I missed it. Anyway, its not just Ben that this happens with. Its any teams star quarterback, anything goes remotely wrong and the media's all over it.