PDA

View Full Version : How important Marvel is to this team?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Is there still a realistic chance they can sign him to an extension before his hits FA next year? (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_587169.html) At this point it's doubtful but if he has the kind of year he's starting out with he'll end up with potentially the biggest contract for an OL to date. Marvel has been with us from the get go and our screw up with Starks completely shot down any chance of getting him inked this season. :evilshake:

Right now considering our only options are Essex and Hills, and really only Essex because Hills is going to be a project for a couple years. Trai is a serviceable player but not someone I'd want to bank the future of Ben's blindside on for any significant length of time. Starks will be a UFA and he couldn't even beat out Colon for RT so him as an option at LT is even an option IMO. Other than that the front office will have to look to free agency for a LT and considering how expensive a quality one is they'd be better off just paying Smith to stay. Drafting a LT and throwing him to the wolves right off the bat will mean certain death for one Ben Roethlisburger who would get killed while said rookie LT learns the ropes.

Right for 2008 the OL is looking "ok" and could be something pretty special but beyond that many things are definitely in question.

Koopa
09-09-2008, 01:39 AM
if we really want him we'll probably have to franchise him, he's gonna make top dollar anyway, so it won't be that bad if they truly want to keep him

but it was one game, against the **** *** texans, lets see if he continues first before we start talking about how much he deserves

but damn, that starks thing was a huge mistake........aww well

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2008, 01:53 AM
That's an option the team might actually exercise, it would be the first time in almost forever that we used the tag but if Im the front office I think it's definitely an option. I mean lets face it if you're going to be an offensive lineman top dollar, even for 1 year, you might as well atleast have him in the starting lineup..coughcough starks coughcough. Yeah you hit right on the head, that plan definitely backfired on them.

SteelerSal
09-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Marvell played hurt (back) most of last season so I'm gonna give him the benefit of doubt on last seasons performance by him only. (rest of the line stunk up the place)
The left side of the line looks to be the strongest side with Kemo steppin it up and filling in the shoes of Big Red.
I believe we have ourselves a center finally.

But like Koop said, it was the Texans and the way clevelands d-line gave Romo all day to pick apart their secondary, i don't think our line will have a problem in the next game.

ToothAche
09-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I thought Starks played well this week. He held clipboards, water bottles, athletic tape, at one time I think he may have even held more than just one item. And, he didnt give up one sack, or miss one block. Why are you guys picking on him?

HUNT4SEVEN
09-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I thought Starks played well this week. He held clipboards, water bottles, athletic tape, at one time I think he may have even held more than just one item. And, he didnt give up one sack, or miss one block. Why are you guys picking on him?
LOL i hope we can keep marvel an kemo:crossfingers:.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2008, 11:29 AM

a 7 million dollar equip manager, where do I sign up :D

This whole Starks thing just really pisses me off, 7 mill down the drain for a guy who couldn't even beat out a player who's more of a natural guard than Tackle in the first place. The team believed in him and he couldn't deliver, if this guy thinks he's going to get a big time payday in 2009 he's sadly mistaken.

AZ_Steeler
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
The FO needs to do something with Smith because he was definitely the work horse on Sunday! He was every where and controlled the o-line. At this point I don't think the Steelers can afford to lose another quality o-lineman in consecutive years.

SteelfordWexler
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
if we really want him we'll probably have to franchise him, he's gonna make top dollar anyway, so it won't be that bad if they truly want to keep him

You've got to be right. The front office was probably hesitant to write the check before seeing if he can hold up for a season. If he does well - they can franchise him to gain some time/ leverage to work out a multi-year deal. Unlike Starks, Smith's guaranteed money for an extension is likely to be more than the franchise salary for one year (which is guaranteed) - so they could probably get something done.

If this was their thinking on Smith - then why not try to extend Kemo prior to the season? He would never be cheaper than before he is proven.

Dean Denton
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
All I know is that I miss Dawson. Best lineman ever. And yes I know he was the center... I'm just sayin.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
They didn't want to extend Kemoeatu because he was more of an unknown quantity. He was penciled in as the starter but they wanted to see him perform first before they hand out a big payday.

Marvel, now that he had his back surgery, should last the entire season no problem. That chronic issue was going on for years with him but now he seems healthier than ever and I look for him to have a really standout year. I would be happy to see him get the franchise tag if it comes down to that, if for nothing else to atleast give us 1 more year to draft a top LT prospect and get Tony Hills some experience.