PDA

View Full Version : How good can this defense be in 08 ?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2008, 12:24 AM
The big snack had a real solid day and was a major reason why the Texans couldn't run. Casey held his own and forced the ball carrier away from him every time. A quote straight from the big Twinkie himself thanks to the Trib.. (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_587063.html) "Like I said, it ain't about the preseason. It's about the regular season," Hampton said in the aftermath of the Steelers' crunching 38-17 win over the Houston Texans at Heinz Field. "My whole goal was to be ready for (the opener). I was ready." Keisel was getting a real good push up the middle and found himself in the backfield on several occasions yesterday. Aaron Smith though is just a monster, the guy is so powerful it makes you realize he shoud be a pro bowler every year. He is quite possibly the best overall draft pick of the Cowher era other than Big Ben and maybe Hines.

Eason showed he's got the stuff to be productive during his turn as well, he was playing very well yesterday and I was definitely impressed with his motor. Kirschke was even getting in on the action so you know things were going well. I like the make up of the DL right now; what was once thought of as a liability with no depth is now a pretty strong part of the team early on.

The linebackers we have now could potentially be the best this team has seen, even rivaling the famous Blitzburgh unit of Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, and Brown. I really think this group ( including Timmons ) has the potential to be THAT good. It's early but these guys just bring it big time. Harrison is a combination of Lloyd and Greene all the way (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_587177.html), he's got so much power in a compact frame that he just is able to get up underneath the big tackles and drive them backwards but still has enough speed to run around them too. In that article you can see how well both Harrison and Woodley get along, they are in a competition with each other to get better every week.

Even the defensive backs, including Troy really showed up yesterday and made it a point to tackle well and keep most everything in front of them. McFadden was great coming off the Bench and Townsend is showing just like Farrior that he hasn't lost a step either.

It's early in the season but right now the team is firing on all cylinders and confident.

AZ_Steeler
09-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Hampton has kind of went unnoticed here the first week... I specifically recall a play from Sunday where he man handled the Texans center and actually used him to make the tackle on the running back... it was something special and really displayed Hamptons strength and dominance in the trenches.

yinzer
09-09-2008, 07:00 AM
the defense is just plain scary. the front guys are still good. the linebacking core could be the best in stiller history. ike is can guard anybody. troy's back. etc etc etc. i just wonder why timmons isn't starting yet. :tt02::tt02::tt02::helmet::yellowthumb::cope:

HUNT4SEVEN
09-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Big Hamp looked good sunday:cope:, did u c him push the center #55 n the ground:eek1:? he an kiesel was an big reason why the Texans didn't convert that 4th an 1, but our L.B's was really the biggest difference:tt02:, they got pressure all day, an my boy Woodley really has come 2 play this year.Plus we have an nice rotation of D-line help did u c N.Eason play?:clap:

SteelerSal
09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
How good can this defense be in 08 ?

The answer to the original question is;

As good as we expect them to be!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
It's been a few years since we had a solid tandem at OLB. Gildon/Porter were great together but then after that Porter was the main focus and Haggans just never really was able to be that main guy you need in 34 defense. Now we've got that back and the strength of the 34 is one again the LB's, each one of them is capable of making a big play at any given moment. Lebeau must be salivating watching these guys on the field and the potential they have.

portcityblackandgold
09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Defense has that scary type of potential. They will definitely record a shut out or two.

steelerschick1220
09-09-2008, 11:26 AM
If I were a QB that was going to face our D, I would be scared. They look amazing. I am glad to hear that Hampton played great!!!

JensK
09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
If I were a QB that was going to face our D, I would be scared. They look amazing. I am glad to hear that Hampton played great!!!

I wouldnt say he played "great". He was there, and he did hes thing, but not a whole lot more than that. Its still not the "double team on everyplay" hampton we are used to see.

I think we'll have a top 3 defence this year! We can be the best, if we show up to play football every week. I also believe we will need to see timmons play some more.

steelerschick1220
09-09-2008, 01:05 PM
^ Well, he did what he was supposed to, so I guess that is all that counts. I would love to see us have a top three D. That would be great.

AZ_Steeler
09-09-2008, 01:08 PM
^ Well, he did what he was supposed to, so I guess that is all that counts. I would love to see us have a top three D. That would be great.

Don't worry... I personally feel that Hampton played a great game too! He did some pretty good things during the course of the game, and some of those things were just impressive!!!

jpele
09-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Well , we were # 1 last season, and we have a little more talent at LB this year. Things are looking good.

Do you think Casey Hampton wants to prove something to coach Tomlin ?:d1:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Tomlin learned alot last year about the team and he's putting that knowledge to use this year. Harrison mentioned about the team being worn out by late December and Tomlin agreed. Im looking forward to seeing a more fresh defense and team in general for the home stretch. We've got some good depth on defense that we'll need this year.

Stairwayto7
09-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Tomlin learned alot last year about the team and he's putting that knowledge to use this year. Harrison mentioned about the team being worn out by late December and Tomlin agreed. Im looking forward to seeing a more fresh defense and team in general for the home stretch. We've got some good depth on defense that we'll need this year.

i`m really impressed with the defense and Tomlin, but Lebeau rules

JensK
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Well , we were # 1 last season, and we have a little more talent at LB this year. Things are looking good.

Do you think Casey Hampton wants to prove something to coach Tomlin ?:d1:

In my honest opinion, that was a little misleading. We played some decent defence, but it wasnt the best in the league. We just had a really easy schedule, thats all. The defence this year owns the one last year by miles imo :)

Well Hampton needs to :P The way hoke (it is hoke right?) played this off-season hampton needs to make a statement to Tomlin, that he is ready to be there every single game, and he'll do what it takes. Tomlin dosnt seem like the type of guy who'll use a player just because he is better payed :-) Anyways, if Hampton steps up just a little more, he'll be back at his old 05-06 self, which was dominating!

terrible.towel43
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
With Merriman done for the year, and viking pass defense still awful. I would say we have the #1 defense in the league!

ejsteeler
09-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I like that Tomlin used extra lineman as well. In this case, Smith turned up inactive, but it was worth this time. I would imagine he is going to change it up depending on the opponent. With our shcedule though, it would be nice to keep the big boys fresh throughout. Awesome display all the way around on all phases of the team. :cope:

Bring on the clowns!!!!:tt02:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-11-2008, 10:34 PM

I do agree TG,i think Hampton the......."Big Snack" had a really good game.I say if his blood pressure,and cholesterole level is ok,give him the snack.His favorite snack seems to be centers.(LOL)Let the big man play.I don't see many shut-outs though,cause Tomlin was a rookie last year also don't forget.
If they have a nice cushion at some point in the game,he will start to feed in the second string in favor of some playing time,to gain game experience,and keep his players fresh.I love that approach.Mike seems to be a bright spot,and there is no doubt in my mind that he wants to be a special part of our legacy.He may be a defensive mind ,but what was the first move he made,when accepting the job......He kept Dick,because he wanted to pick his brain.Mike knows that defense wins games.Look at what he did in Minn. He was thirsting for knowledge,and he had the perfect opportunity .He was not going into this gig looking to switch our team to a 4-3.That is probably how he won the job....and kept Dick tooo!!!!I wonder if he argues with Dick about Philosophy?Cower had the grind it out offense,like THE BIG CHUCK!!!!!!! before him.But Chuck introduced the "STEEL CURTAIN",and it has stuck.Lets face it some aspects of the D has been getting somewhat mediocre,sackwise,and the first thing "Big Mike" did was go out and Draft not one but Two defensive ends,,,Timmons....Woodley...and converted them to LB,s.Pass rush baby!Something that we had been lacking of late.He is implimenting them now.The special teams are still up in the air,but so far so good.The defense will continue to rock the cradle.The offense has kind of stolen the show of late.I love every minute of Steeler Football!!!!!!!I want some more.:cope::cope:

SteelfordWexler
09-12-2008, 10:36 AM
The defense is very good when they get pressure. It seems like the times we were victimized in the past is when teams kept max-protection for the QB and they got time to work over the secondary. That will be more difficult with Woodley added to the mix - he is a very powerful pass rusher - and as everyone says he is a great compliment to Harrison. This could get interesting.

I was pretty surprised when we went LB in the second round after drafting Timmons last year in the first - but in hindsight - it was brilliant because of the player we got.