PDA

View Full Version : Overall thoughts on the offense; play calling

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Bruce Arians and the Steelers offense treated us to a clinic today right up until the 4th quarter when the starters began coming out of the game. Ben, well you can't have much better stats than what he did today. Only misfiring on 1 pass and really just taking pretty much whatever he wanted from the defense. He had time to throw and spread the ball around all day. He was accurate and just really made it look easy.

Parker was a stud today and bettered his TD production from all of last season already this year. He ran hard, tough, and found the holes nicely once he got going.

I liked seeing Mendenhall get action today, that built his confidence and he made some good hard runs.

Hines, well he's just the man as always, his blocking was key all day long as was his 2 TD's where he just completely faked out the secondary and got open.

I like the play calling overall today and was impressed with the offense being able to move the ball and not only play smash mouth but also to be versatile. The series right before half time was alittle irritating but other other an that I have no complaints from Arians & Tomlin there.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
You can't complain when the offense scores 38 and dominated like they did today....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-07-2008, 06:19 PM
and the best part was that it wasn't just 1 or 2 players making everything happen; Heath was involved early, Mendenhall made some good runs, Spaeth caught a pass, Holmes made an impact, Parker was crazy, the list goes on...Arians did a real good job of putting Ben in situations to make plays for us but the OL was key.

SteelCityPride08
09-07-2008, 06:20 PM
We played great today, I just hope we dont go into Sunday night thinking its going to be as easy as it was today but I don't think we will

and i agree with you on that drive before the second half

when byron leftiwch came into the game, why not run a play action after a couple runs sending Holmes deep and just letting Byron launch the football?? i think we should have tried something like that

another thing do you think Byron Leftiwchs passes are uncatchable? because his throws are accurate but our WR's cant handle it, or do you think that our WR's just arent used to the way he throws

BlackGold4vr
09-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes, its very hard to find negatives with such a dominating performance. Only plays I didn't like were when Ben took some shots and got up slowly. :2cents:

I agree on the Byron "Nolan Ryan" fastballs. Is it necessary to break fingers with your passes? Sometimes those passes are necessary but it seems as though Byron doesn't know how to take anything off. Is there a changeup in the arsenal?

PsychoWard
09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
very good on offence today!!! the only pass that ben missed was just a smart play to get rid of it! Willie was a beast his first ever three rushing td game!!! what a way to start the season! Loved the play calling and everything about the game today hats off!:hat_wave::hat_wave::hat_wave:

BlitzburghNation
09-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Man the "D" really impressed the hell outta me,,,,,,,Our LB's has to be the best in the game,,,,,,,,,,,,Hats off to an all around awesome opening game :towelwave:

A huge `````:bigthumb: to Polamalu,,,,,Seems like he's back to the Troy we all love,"Playmaker and Quiet Storm" :towelwave:

Stlrs4Life
09-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I think it was a well called offense today, we were balanced pretty well, and we won the 3rd down battle.

Stairwayto7
09-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I wanted to see Holmes a little more, but we didn`t need the pass today

SteelerSal
09-07-2008, 09:05 PM
That was the first time I saw the Steelers execute to perfection in all 4 phases of the game. ( Offense, Defense, Special Teams and Coaching)

Let's hope this was not a mirage and the players and coaches stay focused throughout the season.

Stairwayto7
09-07-2008, 09:25 PM
I think we held back today on offense, I think we`ll come out throwing next week figuring cleveland will be expecting the run

steelcityrockers
09-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Yes, its very hard to find negatives with such a dominating performance. Only plays I didn't like were when Ben took some shots and got up slowly. :2cents:

I agree on the Byron "Nolan Ryan" fastballs. Is it necessary to break fingers with your passes? Sometimes those passes are necessary but it seems as though Byron doesn't know how to take anything off. Is there a changeup in the arsenal?

He is the black Brett Favre minus media orgasm when his name is said.

K Train
09-07-2008, 10:54 PM
no favre can throw touch passes too, leftwich winds up like a mother****er and lets them rip on every play without question

K Train
09-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I think we held back today on offense, I think we`ll come out throwing next week figuring cleveland will be expecting the run

cleveland is simply in over their heads....we will not let up on that team i guarantee it

jpele
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Quarterback A+ What more could Ben have done

O'line , I'll give them a B ...the sacks on Ben was scary

Running backs A They ran hard when the defense knew they were coming

Wide Receivers B They need to give Baker a shot in Washingtons spot

Defense 1st half A second half B- I think they got soft with the big lead

EDIT = Special Teams A+ Other than a return man they were outstanding

HUNT4SEVEN
09-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Hey props 2 the offensive calling, it was very balanced i was impress with the way ben has been throwing the ball so far, keep up the good work ben an the offensive coordinator.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-08-2008, 01:54 AM
The Texans are a young team and once you get up on them and start dominating they aren't a quick strike come from behind team so I was pretty confident we had the game in the bag at halftime. The clowns will fight though so you need to get up on them early and take them out of their game plan. Arians need to have this offense ready to go and ready to put a lot of points up on the board, you get up on a team like Cleveland and you can get in their heads especially since they are in the same division with us. If you let them stay in the game and keep it close they'll get confident. We need TD's every chance we get next week just like we did this past week.

Arians didn't let up until the 4th quarter when the backups came in; we knew we could run against them in the 3rd quarter and we sealed the game then by slowing it down and grinding it out. I want to see 40+ points put up against the Clowns and Ben to come out firing right out of the gate like this week.

SteelerSal
09-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Quarterback A+ What more could Ben have done

O'line , I'll give them a B ...the sacks on Ben was scary

Running backs A They ran hard when the defense knew they were coming

Wide Receivers B They need to give Baker a shot in Washingtons spot

Defense 1st half A second half B- I think they got soft with the big lead

EDIT = Special Teams A+ Other than a return man they were outstanding

I'm gonna give Nate a do over in this game because he did no have Ben passing to him. Leftwich does not have control with the touch passes and he has the same velocity(sp) on the ball whether it's a screen pass or 40 yards down the field and his accuracey sucks, throwing behind recievers and over throwing.
Hope the injury report does not have half the recieving out with broken fingers.:lol:

portcityblackandgold
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I thought a statement was made by the whole Steelers organization to the rest of the league. It's business as usual and we are not distracted by ownership restructuring, loss of a key player, a questionable offensive line, or any other storyline. Plain and simple Steeler Football.

abejota88
09-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I guess most OC must be jealous of Arians.... come on.... a probowl QB like Big Ben leading the offense, a backfield with a star RB, a promising Rookie, and a great third down addition. Then look at the receiving corps.... the great veteran who can catch over the middle everything thrown at him, a young rising deep threat star, with two good backups and another promising rookie.... and then two very dependable targets at Tight End... what else could Arians ask for?....

I guess Tomlin, Arians and Lebeau had a great game yesterday , hope they keep up with the good job.

SteelerSteve
09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
We played great today, I just hope we dont go into Sunday night thinking its going to be as easy as it was today but I don't think we will

another thing do you think Byron Leftiwchs passes are uncatchable? because his throws are accurate but our WR's cant handle it, or do you think that our WR's just arent used to the way he throws
First off, I think theres no way we overlook the browns, but I actually think we will dominate them worse than we did the Texans lol.

I think you may have a point about Byron, he has a huuuuuuge arm, but he needs to learn that you dont have to try and break the recievers fingers every time. Thats one thing I've noticed about Ben, he rarely throws it as hard as he can, he throws it as hard as he needs to.

ToothAche
09-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Good point Steve, the dude does throw the ball way too hard.

SteelfordWexler
09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Leftwich has such a slow windup that he needs to throw heat to make up for it. Otherwise, the d-backs have too much time to react.

Dean Denton
09-11-2008, 12:28 PM
They scored 38 points, and Ben only had to throw the ball 14 times. We ran great. I would like to see Sweed worked into the red zone.

jpele
09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm gonna give Nate a do over in this game because he did no have Ben passing to him. Leftwich does not have control with the touch passes and he has the same velocity(sp) on the ball whether it's a screen pass or 40 yards down the field and his accuracey sucks, throwing behind recievers and over throwing.
Hope the injury report does not have half the recieving out with broken fingers.:lol:

Ya know ,you're right. My problem is ,I'm a big Nate fan ( I love when these guys from small schools make it ) and everytime he drops a ball I think ,how can a guy with all that talent not have soft hands .