PDA

View Full Version : More thoughts on the tough schedule...

Troyisabeast_43
09-05-2008, 08:24 PM
With this schedule, if we make it to the playoffs, there shouldnt be a team there that can stop us after being tried and tested by the best teams in the league, the only question remains, can we get through this schedule to get there, going to be real interesting watching this run to get there thats for sure, cant wait to get it going. If anybody thinks The Browns, Bengals or Ravens will do better against the same schedule except 2 games there are absolutely crazy. Noway they all will have losing records, the Steelers will be the only team in our division with a winning record. Plus they have just as many games against playoff teams from last year as we do. They also have to play the Steelers twice as well. Right now the way this schedule is shaping up I am going to say the Steelers can go 11-5 I really believe that and I will stick to it for the entire season.

Dean Denton
09-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, 8-8 could still make the playoffs. We only need to win the division, not the entire league. I love the schedule, and thinks its going to be great. I give us a much better chance the the other teams in our division.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2008, 08:28 PM
On paper it's the toughest schedule in the league, but we all know things happen with every team during the year and there is always 1 surprise cinderella team that throws a monkey wrench into the works. At this point our toughest stretch is in the middle. If we can start out strong through mid october and atleast split the tough game stretch from Oct 26-Dec 7 or even better end up +2 in it we should be in good shape heading into the last 1/4 of the season. that's a tall task but not impossible.

Troyisabeast_43
09-05-2008, 08:46 PM
On paper it's the toughest schedule in the league, but we all know things happen with every team during the year and there is always 1 surprise cinderella team that throws a monkey wrench into the works. At this point our toughest stretch is in the middle. If we can start out strong through mid october and atleast split the tough game stretch from Oct 26-Dec 7 or even better end up +2 in it we should be in good shape heading into the last 1/4 of the season. that's a tall task but not impossible.
Also, keep in mind TG and I have mentioned this before that after the Monday night game on November 3rd in Washington against the Redskins the Steelers are only going to have to get on an airplane and travel one time in a 6 week span and that will be on November 30th when they play the Patriots. And even before that game they are going to have 10 days off seeing that the game before the Pats game is on a Thursday night November 20th here at home against the Bengals. They play 3 straight home games after the Monday night game in Washington against the Colts,Chargers,and Bengals before going to New England the Sunday after Thanksgiving, then they host Dallas the following week at Heinz Field before going to Baltimore on December 14th.

I think being able to be at home for the Steelers and not have to travel and being able to sleep in your own bed for a month during that very key stretch of the season is really going to help the Steelers stay focused and not get distracted, and have a great chance to win every single one of those games. So while all those games in that stretch are tough the Steelers got a huge favor of having 3 home games in a row right smack dab in the middle of November in a key part of the season, and only having to travel one time in a 6 week span after the beginning of November. I dont know about you but I think that is a big big plus and is only going to help the Steelers more then it hurts them.

steelerschick1220
09-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I agree. It may not be as tough as we originally thought. Giants- if Eli plays like he did last night, we could have a pretty good shot at beating them. Colts- I think their window of oppurtunity is slowly shutting and they have some injureis that may effect them this year. Chargers- Merrinam may not even be playing by this game, plus it should be nice and cold out by this time of the year, so that may effect them. Patriots- if Tommy Boy's foot is as bad as some people think, we could make his life a living you know what. Plus, I think they are going to have a slightly off year this year. Cowboys- it is December, so Romo should start choking away games at this point. Plus, we don't know how they will play in the cold.

And as Troyisabeast said, our divison has all appearances of being terrible this year. Plus, this tough schedule could help us in the playoffs. And I feel like we will get there.

Now, I am not saying that we will win these five games, I am just giving us scenarios as to why we could. If we win 2 or 3 of them, I will be happy.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2008, 09:27 PM
I totally agree 43, during that stretch we are only on the road for the Pats game ( the skins game won't be that bad on the road), the rest are at Heinz which is a huge plus considering how poorly we played on the road last year. I like our chances in all of those games but given past experience the potential is there to lose atleast a couple of them so we need to stay focused. If we start out slow with all those road games it's going to be hard to catch during that stretch so we need to set ourselves up well right out of the gate so we can hopefully put a couple games distance between us and the rest of the division heading into that stretch or at the very least be in first place and control our own destiny. What we don't want is to head into that tough part or into December in general having to rely on somebody else. those last 3 games against the Ratbirds, Titans, and Browns will more likely decide the division no matter what happens but we need to be on a roll heading into that stretch of 2-3 on the road and not licking our wounds after letting opportunities pass us by from the month before.

Im excited to see how we do against stiff competition and if we survive it we'll be as battle tested as it gets like you mentioned.

Troyisabeast_43
09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I totally agree 43, during that stretch we are only on the road for the Pats game ( the skins game won't be that bad on the road), the rest are at Heinz which is a huge plus considering how poorly we played on the road last year. I like our chances in all of those games but given past experience the potential is there to lose atleast a couple of them so we need to stay focused. If we start out slow with all those road games it's going to be hard to catch during that stretch so we need to set ourselves up well right out of the gate so we can hopefully put a couple games distance between us and the rest of the division heading into that stretch or at the very least be in first place and control our own destiny. What we don't want is to head into that tough part or into December in general having to rely on somebody else. those last 3 games against the Ratbirds, Titans, and Browns will more likely decide the division no matter what happens but we need to be on a roll heading into that stretch of 2-3 on the road and not licking our wounds after letting opportunities pass us by from the month before.

Im excited to see how we do against stiff competition and if we survive it we'll be as battle tested as it gets like you mentioned.

We really will know a lot more after the first 2 games especially after the game in Cleveland next Sunday night how things are going to start to take shape in this division and for possibly the rest of the season. I think if the Steelers start 2-0 and beat the Browns next week and put them at 0-2 assuming the Browns lose to the Cowboys on Sunday which I think they will then that is going to really set the Steelers up to pretty much control their own destiny for the division for the rest of the season. Let's face it the Bengals and Ravens are just not going to contend in this division this season and the Browns are really the only legit threat. To go up virtually 3 games on the Browns with the tiebraker in hand and not only that but beating them in their own house and putting them at 0-2 would just be completely demoralizing for the Browns and I quite honestly do not know if they will be able to recover from that fully.

Now with that being said the Steelers had better beat the Texans here at home on Sunday or all of this that I just said wont matter and everything then will change going into the game with the Browns next Sunday. The Steelers pretty much have to beat this Houston team here on Sunday if they expect to be not only a playoff contender but a possible Super Bowl contender as well. While Houston is probably in the middle of the pack in the NFL an a pretty good team you if you expect to make strides this year and hope to realistically compete for a championship this year they you absolutely MUST beat a team like the Houston Texans in your own house here on Sunday no ifs,ands,or buts about it.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Beating the Browns in week 2 is really the key to everything early on, if we can beat them it will immediately set the tone for the rest of the division. We go into their house and win, they get those doubts again, "oh we still can't beat the Steelers" and then when it really counts in December we know that we hold the edge of them both in records and psychologically. However if we were to allow them to beat us their confidence will swell and that will put us behind the 8ball. It's imperative that we start out 2-0 and get the ball rolling because these road games early are a good test and if we falter in those it's just going to be a replay of last year potentially.

jpele
09-05-2008, 11:27 PM
This is only the toughest schedule in the league if we were playing it last year. this year remains to be seen.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Beating the Browns in week 2 is really the key to everything early on, if we can beat them it will immediately set the tone for the rest of the division. We go into their house and win, they get those doubts again, "oh we still can't beat the Steelers" and then when it really counts in December we know that we hold the edge of them both in records and psychologically. However if we were to allow them to beat us their confidence will swell and that will put us behind the 8ball. It's imperative that we start out 2-0 and get the ball rolling because these road games early are a good test and if we falter in those it's just going to be a replay of last year potentially.

Coach Tomlin thinks that you should be able to bust anybody's *** at any time,and i am inclined to believe.We need to come out kickin with everything we have at our disposal!!!!!!!!!!!!!You have to play the game on the field,not in peoples minds.You have to wake with yourself,and live with it or not!!!!!Not lookin good for the "Texans"

yinzer
09-06-2008, 12:35 AM

:plus1:

MadCitySteeler
09-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I LOVE our schedule! If we go into the postseason @ 11-5 or even 10-6, we have a really good shot at a championship. The Giants, Colts, Bolts, an Cowboys games are all at home and I don't see us losing to anyone in our division. Derek Anderson had a freak year and won't repeat. The bungles resign Henry. Combine that with ocho sucko will cause a lot of locker room drama. Ravens who? Ray Lewis...done with. Theres 10 games right there. Add on the Redskins and Titans road games...12-4? Wouldn't that be sweet

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Coach Tomlin thinks that you should be able to bust anybody's *** at any time,and i am inclined to believe.We need to come out kickin with everything we have at our disposal!!!!!!!!!!!!!You have to play the game on the field,not in peoples minds.You have to wake with yourself,and live with it or not!!!!!Not lookin good for the "Texans"

As long as the team believes in that theory and they play with that kind of passion then Im inclined to agree with you about the outlook for Houston. You gotta know the Texans are itching to beat a quality team and if they can come into Heinz and steal a win they'll be off to a great start and that can go a long way to a team with something to prove. We need to stomp on them early and get out to a lead so we can force them to be one dimentional. If we head into the 4th quarter with the game close I'll be nervous.

Troyisabeast_43
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
As long as the team believes in that theory and they play with that kind of passion then Im inclined to agree with you about the outlook for Houston. You gotta know the Texans are itching to beat a quality team and if they can come into Heinz and steal a win they'll be off to a great start and that can go a long way to a team with something to prove. We need to stomp on them early and get out to a lead so we can force them to be one dimentional. If we head into the 4th quarter with the game close I'll be nervous.

I agree with you TG the Steelers need to take the home field advatange they will have tomorrow and use it early and jump on the Texans by 10-14 points in this game and take them out of their game and not let them hang around. If the Steelers let the Texans keep hanging around in this game come the 3rd and 4th quarter, and allowing long returns by their special teams and giving them a short field they have a very good chance of possibly losing this game. However, I think the only way the Steelers lose this game is if Ben has a terrible day and he turns the ball over several times and it leads to one or two scores. I just dont think the Texans have enough on both sides of the ball all things equal to beat the Steelers unless the Steelers completely implode in this game.

Clevelandsux
09-07-2008, 03:32 AM
One game at a time, sweet Jesus!. My big concerns going into this season are the offensive line our aging defense. I hope fast Willie and "Delicious" can hold onto the ball.

I expect a huge year out of Santonio Holmes.