PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notes: Baker passes Sweed

Captcoolhand
09-05-2008, 10:24 AM
PITTSBURGH — More and more, it looks like the only rookie draft choice who’ll play for the Steelers on Sunday is running back Rashard Mendenhall, the No. 1 pick. There’s a good chance that wide receiver Limas Sweed won’t even be in uniform.

Sweed, taken in the second round of this year’s NFL Draft, has struggled making the transition from college to the pro game.

In all likelihood, it will be Dallas Baker who dresses as the No. 4 wide receiver for the regular-season opener.

Baker, nicknamed “The Touchdown Maker” when he played at the University of Florida, was a seventh-round pick last year and spent the season on the Steelers’ practice squad.

“He’s been productive,” coach Mike Tomlin said of Baker. “Look at his production last preseason. It was next to nothing. (This year) he caught balls, critical balls, caught a variety of balls … and made significant plays.”

Sweed, who played at Texas, stands 6-foot-4 and was drafted to give quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the tall wideout he wanted. But Sweed needs a lot of improvement.

Baker needs more improvement, too. But at least he’s improved enough to win a roster spot this year.

“It’s a dream come true,” Baker said of making the team. “But I can’t stop now. I want to do whatever I can to help this team win.”

McHUGH WON’T PLAY

Sean McHugh, the H-back signed by the Steelers on Wednesday, won’t play Sunday.

The ex-Penn State fullback has a sore ankle. But he also doesn’t have enough time to learn his new playbook.

“He could probably fight through (the injury) it if he was capable of playing this weekend,” Tomlin said. “But he is not going to be able to play from an assignment standpoint, so we will exercise a little caution.

“We’ll let him be all eyes and ears and let him take in some of our football and some of our verbiage and we will get started with him fresh next week.”

SPECIAL CEREMONY

Before Sunday’s game, there may be a few Steelers fans shedding a tear in their Terrible Towels.

That’s because three members of the Steelers' family who died this year will be honored during a pre-game ceremony.

The Steelers will honor former defensive linemen Ernie Holmes and Dwight White, and former broadcaster Myron Cope.

The Steelers are asking fans to arrive early so they can see the ceremony. Kickoff at Heinz Field is 1 p.m.

Holmes and White made up one-half of the famed “Steel Curtain” defensive line from the 1970s.

Cope was the Steelers’ radio analyst for 35 years (1970-2004). He’s also the man who invented of the Terrible Towel.I knew going in that it was going to take time for Sweed to adjust, but I just wish he would have surprised and came along a bit faster...:2cents:

That's ok though because Baker has proven to be able to hold his own so lets just hope for the best. :cope:

ToothAche
09-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I thought Sweed look as good as Baker. How long will this position battle last? I wonder If Sweed will get a chance at all to get in the game. :boo:

K Train
09-05-2008, 11:49 AM
not a huge shocker, a little disappointing but not really a surprise

AZ_Steeler
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I feel it was decided by a flip of a coin... we knew they would both be at the bottom so what a better way to decide who would be at the very bottom than flipping a coin :dunno:

ToothAche
09-05-2008, 11:55 AM
This can either make Sweed hungry, or make him lazy. :sleepy:

Dean Denton
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Sweed will get into the game within a month or so. I thought he looked pretty good for a rookie.

ToothAche
09-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I thought so too Dean. By the way, nice rack :boobs:

PolishPower83
09-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Damn, that is a little disappointing. I didn't expect huge things from Sweed by week 1 but come on! That high of a draft pick and he may not even dress?

Dean Denton
09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I thought so too Dean. By the way, nice rack :boobs:
thanks...I work out....lol

ToothAche
09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I seen him makes some big catches in the pre-season. One of those catches was a diving catch out of bounds that gave the Steelers a first down. I have read over and over again about how this guy has range, is abe to catch the ball no matter where it is thrown. Baker? Never read anything great about him, but who knows? This guy could be the Yancy Thigpen.

Captcoolhand
09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Damn, that is a little disappointing. I didn't expect huge things from Sweed by week 1 but come on! That high of a draft pick and he may not even dress?
Wouldn't be the first 2nd rounder. :welcome: by the way

K Train
09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I seen him makes some big catches in the pre-season. One of those catches was a diving catch out of bounds that gave the Steelers a first down. I have read over and over again about how this guy has range, is abe to catch the ball no matter where it is thrown. Baker? Never read anything great about him, but who knows? This guy could be the Yancy Thigpen.

he does have great range, his body control is great and hes got real soft hands...his route running is a little shaky though and thats because in college he could rely on his athletic ability he didnt really have to fine tune his skills because he was a man among boys...**** takes time, i think he'll dress at least this sounds like a report to get people pissed off

Steelx
09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Rookie WR's usually never pan out anyway give him til next year to get cool with the NFL game and he will be in there making a few plays as a second year guy. Then year 3 look out I think this kid is going to be a lot better than Holmes

steelcitysfinestXL
09-05-2008, 02:37 PM
The good thing about this situation is that we really dont NEED him to be game ready right now. Look at the lumps Buress took in his first season. Like train said, this was to be expected. He can ride the pine while he gets used to the NFL. He needs to learn the playbook and build a relationship with Ben. Once he learns his routes he can stop thinking about his assignment and concentrate on using the physical talent he has.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Then year 3 look out I think this kid is going to be a lot better than Holmes

That was bold... VERY bold!

Steelx
09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
That was bold... VERY bold!Gotta take risks and I am a gambler so what better way to think about it. Although if he hangs around he will be better than him and I think will make Plax look worthless. The kid is going to be good.

Dean Denton
09-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I think he will be better in the red zone then Holmes because of his height, but Holmes is pretty bad ***.....

K Train
09-05-2008, 02:55 PM
height is so overrated, holmes is a ****ing all star in the redzone and hes 5-11

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm sure it is tough for Limas,but Baker has put in a little more sweat than Limas has.He has a chance to showcase what he can bring to the table(Baker) and then we will know for sure what we have with him.Also it won't hurt MR.Sweed to hang around and get the feel of things for a while.I can't help but to think if Sweed would have made half of the catches, that were thrown right to him in the pre-season,maybe things would be different now.We all watched his progress in the pre-season,and lets face it he seemed overwelmed at times.He will be fine and i think we all know that.Let him stew for a while on his missed opportunities.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2008, 01:40 AM
What Im hoping for is that Sweed continues to improve and then Tomlin begins taking turns with each of them so they both get time on the field in game situations. If Baker makes plays it will be hard to keep him off the field. I would like to see us dress all 5 WR's and get them reps as much as possible.

Sweed will get his chances but it will tak him awhile, same as it always does.

K Train
09-06-2008, 02:23 AM
he'll almost certainly dress, this is just a story to get people pissed off because a low draft pick passed a high recent draft pick....i call bs

ToothAche
09-06-2008, 12:46 PM
If Baker can find first-downs and touchdowns, I'll buy the cats jersey.
.............put it in the books

Stairwayto7
09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I Like McHugh, I watched him in high school a few times. He is a very versatile TE or FB

SteelerSteve
09-07-2008, 02:03 PM
They'll put whoever gives them the best chance to make plays and win the game in there. If Sweed isn't quite ready yet then so be it. Disappointing? a little, but everyone knows that its only a matter of time before he gets on the field.