PDA

View Full Version : Is Kemoeatu, Hartwig, and the rest of the OL up to the challenge?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2008, 06:03 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08249/909627-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

I love that quote, "He comes around the edge when he's pulling, whether it's a goal-line play or a trap play, and he kills people," said center Justin Hartwig. That is what we need from him, to have quick feet and be able to pull and get out in front as well being able to pass protect and give Ben or Willie a chance to get the play off.

Hartwig is going to struggle alittle bit at first probably so we may have some growing pains as you usually do with new faces on the OL.

Chris Kemoeatu arrived at training camp 15 pounds lighter than last season, all part of the preparation for his new role as the replacement for Alan Faneca at left guard.

And while nobody is expecting him to perform at the same level as Faneca, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection, the Steelers are expecting him to perform some of the same roles. Among them: Pulling from the left side on the team's counter plays, something Faneca did to textbook perfection.

So far, that has been the least of Kemoeatu's problems as he begins his first season as a starter.

"He comes around the edge when he's pulling, whether it's a goal-line play or a trap play, and he kills people," said center Justin Hartwig.

"Especially those linebackers," said Kemoeatu, managing a wry smile through a dark, shaggy beard. "You have to take advantage of that."

K Train
09-05-2008, 06:18 AM
you know how i feel about him, but that quote is pretty sick lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Yeah the knock on Chris K is that he was strong as an ox and has a real nasty streak but that he had cement boots and couldn't pull fast enough to be effective especially against the run. We know he's strong enough to hold his own in pass protection but that will take some experience to become really solid but we'll really see what he's made of this year when you watch him take off and try to get in front of FWP or Delicious and block for them.

jpele
09-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Common sense tells me,they'll struggle in the beginning,but I really think they will do a lot better than most think.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-05-2008, 09:50 AM
We better enjoy any potential success they have this year because next year our Tackle situation could be a real issue. Im sure the front office will pick up the slack when the time comes but right now between Marvel probably leaving next year and Essex as well, Chris K being a UFA, things could get real interesting.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Common sense tells me,they'll struggle in the beginning,but I really think they will do a lot better than most think.

:plus1: I dont think anyone is expecting this group to come out and silence the critics day 1. But I have said all along that this group will not be as bad as last years group. I think we will see ALOT more foward movement in run blocking this year. That alone will loosen up the pass rush, and improve the pass-pro. Group all that with the fact that Ben has been REALLY involved with the playbook, working on Tomlins "qb under fire drills" and the weapons he has at every skill position... i think this oline will be solid sooner than later!

ToothAche
09-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I am more concerned with Hartwig then Chris K. Hartwig needs to be able to take on two guys for the counters to work. I also see the Steelers letting Willie go if Rush Hard can proove to be the beast we all think he is. That would free up some cash for an O-line like no other.

KSSteelerfan
09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
I can't wait..........its hard to believe that the Steelers wouldn't have a good O-Line......but we will see as the season progresses.:tt02::tt02::tt02:

ToothAche
09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Have faith my Brothers and Sistas, have faith, and the lord shall provide us another championship.

Dean Denton
09-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Its hard to say because they have played...well, not so good the last couple years. I wont put all those sacks on them, but 65% I will. Ben needs to get the ball out a little faster. dont look for a big drop in the sacks because Ben is still going to try and make plays down the field, so he's still going to get sacked at least 30-35 times. I hope they do better, but the pole was asking too hard of questions for me, so i'm on the fence like everyone else. I see no one really picked 1 or 4.....lol

steelerschick1220
09-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I think that the line will start out a little bit shaky, but once they all gel and learn how to work together, I think they will be okay. I am anticipating them being better then the critics think.

PolishPower83
09-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I was hoping the Steelers' brass was going to address the offensive line a little bit more in the offseason but they know more than I do. I'm fine with Kemoeatu, Hartwig, Simmons and Colon...I just hope Smith plays inspired ball and doesn't worry about his contract situation.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hartwig's quote about wanting to show the Steelers' coaches what he can do in the regular season. He seems pumped about the opportunity and hopefully he can bring back some solidarity to the position of Steelers' center.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-06-2008, 01:36 AM
From the PG..

I knew Stapleton could play Guard but I didn't realize he was quite as good at it as he is. He seem to fit right in with the long tradition of Steeler lineman who can play 2-3 positions on the line and do it well, which at this point considering the shape our line is in with depth that is definitely a good thing.

Stapleton makes hit

Last year, it was Chukky Okobi. This year it was Sean Mahan. For a guy who wasn't even drafted, Darnell Stapleton sure has been running off a lot of centers. That is testament to what the coaches think of the 6-foot-3, 305-pounder from Rutgers.

"I think they have pretty good confidence in me to play guard and center and be a versatile backup," said Stapleton, a rookie free agent in 2007.

Stapleton appeared in only two preseason games as a rookie because of injury, but he impressed the coaches enough that the Steelers released Okobi, a seven-year veteran, in the final cut.

This year, after newcomer Justin Hartwig beat out Mahan, the starter last year, the Steelers traded Mahan to Tampa Bay and made Stapleton the backup.

K Train
09-06-2008, 02:26 AM
its funny that stapleton has been a standout when in the same year we got him we drafted stephenson from the same ****ing school lol

steelcityrockers
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Speaking of which, is Stephenson even alive anymore?

K Train
09-06-2008, 11:08 PM
he was claimed by the packers, then waived 3 days later and claimed by the eagles