PDA

View Full Version : Steelers add tight end

BlackGold4vr
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
PITTSBURGH The Steelers added a third tight end to their active roster today as they signed veteran tight end Sean McHugh to a one-year deal.

McHugh (6-5, 265) spent the past three seasons with the Detroit Lions on both their active roster and practice squads. He was originally drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the seventh round (214st overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Penn State. McHugh was cut by the Titans following their 2004 training camp and signed by the Green Bay Packers, where he spent the entire 2004 campaign.
In 25 career games (14 starts), McHugh has 20 receptions for 277 yards (13.9 avg). He had his best season in 2007 for the Lions, playing in 15 games (12 starts) and making 17 catches for 252 yards (14.8 avg).

They must be comfortable with the back-up offensive line players that we have. A third tight end might not be such a bad idea if we are going to run a lot of double tight end sets. This guy will undoubtedly also play special teams which another O-lineman probably wouldn't have. Those O-lineman are usually too slow to contribute on kick-off coverage teams. :tt02:

TampaSteelGirl
09-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Just kind of a dumb question but would the TE help the O-line in protecting Ben?

yinzer
09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Just kind of a dumb question but would the TE help the O-line in protecting Ben?

it will only help if this guy can block

jpele
09-03-2008, 02:12 PM
He was a full back at Penn St. He played in 25 games in 4 years, 15 of them were last year. Good old Colbert and his Detroit connection, hope the guy can block.

I thought Dezmond Sherrod looked pretty good for a rookie, we could have used him and looked for an O'lineman for the practice squad.

Guess thats why I don't work in the FO.

BlackGold4vr
09-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Tight ends are considered skilled position players. While their duties do require blocking skills in formations like your goal line packages, for the most part TE's are used as big receivers in the middle of the field. My point was that they lost a G/C and replaced him with a TE who can't play the positions the player who left vacated.

K Train
09-03-2008, 02:15 PM
no we didnt lose a C/G....we lost a revolving door than blocked about as well as air and we added a blocking body at TE and a ST player.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
There must not be anybody available that is worth the time, money,and effort to train at Guard right now so you get the next best thing, a blocking TE that you can use in the jumbo/short yardage packages.

TampaSteelGirl
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
it will only help if this guy can block

THank you...I hope he can block then!

steelcityrockers
09-03-2008, 02:53 PM
He actually is a pretty good blocker.

jpele
09-03-2008, 02:59 PM
He actually is a pretty good blocker.

Thats all I wanted to hear, I checked on the lion boards and couldn't find anything on him.

BlackGold4vr
09-03-2008, 03:07 PM
no we didnt lose a C/G....we lost a revolving door than blocked about as well as air and we added a blocking body at TE and a ST player.

:plus1:

I agree with you on Mahan's obvious lack of skills. Was just making the point that they didn't fill the vacant O-line job with another O-lineman.

K Train
09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
yeah well why bring in another bum fat dude when you can add a body on special teams....hes a terrible TE btw and im in no way excited about the pickup lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-03-2008, 03:41 PM
at 265 lbs if he can atleast stand up and hold his man for 3 seconds in a short yardage situation he'll probably pay for himself right there, LOL. If he has to be a main contributor at TE then we are in trouble already by that point. I would have liked to see Lewis brought up from the PS but that doesn't help our blocking up front at all so I can see what they were after here.

TampaSteelGirl
09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Yea that's great news! We need all the blocking help we can get!

SteelerSal
09-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Being able to play FB is a plus since there was no clear cut replacement if Davis was to go down.
I feel alot better having a "TE" play the 3rd te position instead of an overpaid, benchwarming tackle(Starks) in that spot.

K Train
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
you dont get thats hes really a terrible TE and FB....hes trash, i would rather have starks in there as a blocking TE cause he actually can block even if hes a pussy

yinzer
09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
yeah well why bring in another bum fat dude when you can add a body on special teams....hes a terrible TE btw and im in no way excited about the pickup lol

figures...:evilshake:

Zachintosh66
09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Is this the guy we were rumored to be interested in a few years ago on draft day but we took his teammate Kranchick instead?