PDA

View Full Version : Turnstile traded to Tampa

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Mahan to Tampa for a six round pick in 2009.

BlackGold4vr
09-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Great news! Now he has zero chances to f#@k things up. I would have rather tried Stapleton if Hartwig went down than a man who couldn't hold his ground playing pop warner football. :lol:

Will they bring someone up from the practice squad? Will it be another OL?

NOVA STEELERS
09-02-2008, 04:49 PM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2008/08/12/10/0811_TC_dh_mahan_roethlisberger_93325.jpg

Steelers Trade Mahan for 2009 Draft Pick

PITTSBURGH ― The Steelers traded veteran center Sean Mahan to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for an undisclosed 2009 draft pick, the team announced today.

Mahan, a six-year veteran, signed with the Steelers prior to the 2007 season as an unrestricted free agent from the Buccaneers, who selected him in the fifth round (168th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft.

Mahan started all 16 games in the regular season and the Steelers’ only postseason game in 2007.

The Steelers presently have 52 players on their active roster and will be able to add one more player prior to Sunday’s (Sept. 7) season opener against the Houston Texans at Heinz Field.

Great News :cope: :scratch: who will they add to the roster :dunno: :question-1:

BlackGold4vr
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
If its a player from the practice squad I vote for Roy Lewis CB. I thought he played well and he could help out on special teams. :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Wow, of all the teams they were the last one I thought would be a candidate to take him. That means Stapleton is the main guy right now to backup Hartwig, which is cool with me. We do lose some veteran backup experience though because Mahan can play Guard so right now we have ZERO depth at that position so if anything I look for them to bring in someone from the PS to help out like Jeremy Parquet who I believe can play Guard as well but don't quote me on that. Stapleton can pay guard in a pinch but considering that's all we have right now it would be prudent to bring in someone to help out in the backup OL dept.

I would like to see Lewis brought back too, I liked him in camp and preseason but our OL is really iffy in the 2nd team dept now even more than it was before.

Zachintosh66
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Parquet I will quess... unless they have their eye on a Vet roaming around

K Train
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
we dont really have zero depth considering essex is a better guard anyway

BlitzburghRockCity
09-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah but how much experience recently has Essex gotten at Guard, he's mostly played Tackle since he's been in the league. I would imagine now though he probably got some work even today or starting tomorrow at Guard so he can step in if need be and Parquet can move in from the PS to play backup Tackle.

Prosdo
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Really didn't think he would end up in Tampa. Oh well, six round pick isn't bad.

Koopa
09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
wow we get a sixth round pick??? i thought we would have to give 2 first rounders to the other team just to take this bum

i'd rather have a dude that has never played football in his life be a backup then have mahan's experience

Stlrs4Life
09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
"Turnstile". LOL! Matador Mahan would be good also. Good riddance, the scapegoat is gone, and we can move on.

steelerfan11
09-02-2008, 09:54 PM
anyone think they will bring in an experienced CB? like maybe Law? just a thought...

K Train
09-02-2008, 10:22 PM
law likes money way to much

LatrobePA
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
If its a player from the practice squad I vote for Roy Lewis CB. I thought he played well and he could help out on special teams. :2cents:

The same Roy Lewis that missed two freebie INT's? I say DE!!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-03-2008, 06:01 AM
One thing is for sure, this is something Cowher wouldn't have done, we'd have been left with Mahan as the primary backup for the next 2 years atleast.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08247/908893-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Wednesday, September 03, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
NFL Week 1: Steelers vs. TexansIt could be a recipe for disaster: the Steelers' leaky pass protection vs. the AFC's second-best sacker from last season.

No quarterback in the AFC was sacked more often than Ben Roethlisberger (47 times) last season. Only one player in the conference rang up more sacks than Houston right defensive end Mario Williams, who had 14.

A movable object vs. an unstoppable force Sunday at Heinz Field?

It should not take long for the Steelers to discover if they improved their pass protection since last season.

"I've been pleased with the pocket in training camp and preseason, particularly in the area of play-action passing," coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday. "That's been good. But again, we'll have a better sense of where it is on Sunday."

Only Cliff Stoudt was sacked more as a Steelers quarterback than Roethlisberger was in either of the past two seasons. Stoudt was sacked 52 times in 1983. Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times in 2006.

Tomlin made two changes in the offensive line since last season. Chris Kemoeatu will start at left guard in place of seven-time Pro Bowler Alan Faneca, who will pull on a New York Jets uniform this weekend. Justin Hartwig, signed after Carolina cut him, won the job at center from Sean Mahan, who held it last season and was traded back to Tampa Bay yesterday.

There's one way to know if the line is better than last season: "Really, the only way you do it is playing together," Tomlin said. "Those are problems everybody has, any time you have turnover. In today's NFL, you have turnover. They have some new guys. Everyone's working on cohesion. That's what makes September football so exciting. It will be exciting this weekend and hopefully it will be exciting in a positive way for us."

Tomlin and his offensive coaches have pointed out many times that protecting the quarterback is not just the job of the line. It begins with the line protection calls -- Roethlisberger can check out of those -- and includes blocking by the tight end and the third-down backs and the quarterback recognizing blitzes and receivers and communicating on those.

Ouch! That hurts
Only one quarterback was sacked more times in the regular season last year than Big Ben. Here's a look:
Quarterback Team '07 sacks Rate
Jon Kitna Detroit Lions 51 80.9
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers 47 104.1
Donovan McNabb Philadelphia Eagles 44 89.9
Marc Bulger St. Louis Rams 37 70.3
Damon Huard Kansas City Chiefs 36 76.8
There's also the matter of the quarterback knowing when to throw, how quickly to do so and whether to try to make a play when he's flushed from the pocket or to spike it and take the incompletion.

The Texans' Williams figures in the Steelers' offensive game plan.

ARKIESTEEL
09-03-2008, 07:34 AM
A year after signing Sean Mahan to help the interior of their offensive line, the Steelers decided to go a different direction by trading him back to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a seventh-round pick.

Mahan, 6-foot-3, 301 pounds, left the Bucs to sign a five-year, $17 million contract last season and started the season for Pittsburgh at center. Because the AFC North is loaded with big nose tackles in 3-4 schemes, Mahan struggled even though he started 16 games.

Mahan will help the Bucs at either guard or center. Guard Davin Joseph is out most of September because of a broken foot. Mahan will also return to a conference in which 13 of the teams play 4-3 schemes, which is much easier for a lighter interior offensive lineman.

The Bucs have not asked Mahan to re-adjust his salary. In Pittsburgh, Mahan lost his starting job to Justin Hartwig.

The Buccaneers then turned around and shipped guard Dan Buenning to the Bears for an undisclosed 2009 draft choice, believed to be a sixth -- according to a source.

A fourth-round pick in 2005, Buenning started 16 games as a rookie, but his playing time diminished over the next two seasons. He started seven games in 2006 and didn't start or play a game last season.

The 6-foot-3, 320-pound Buenning is expected to help the team's depth at guard. Starting left guard Terrence Metcalf missed most of the preseason because of knee surgery. Josh Beekman has been filling in at left guard.

yinzer
09-03-2008, 08:39 AM
boy, i'm sure glad that we released okobi last season for mahan.... :evilshake:

LatrobePA
09-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Mahan has been running at the mouth, I guess the no BS tolerance isn't so bad here! Good move IMO get rid of the disease!

SteelfordWexler
09-03-2008, 09:04 AM
....for a seventh-round pick.

Geeze - they got nothing for him. They really must have wanted him out of the locker room fast. One less O-lineman under contract for next year.

This is going to be interesting over the next few seasons.

BlackGold4vr
09-03-2008, 09:44 AM
boy, i'm sure glad that we released okobi last season for mahan.... :evilshake:

Where is Okobi playing now? Last I heard the Cardinals picked him up but I notice he is not on their roster either. So there are 2 teams who were smart enough to unload the bum! :yellowthumb:

steelcityrockers
09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Okobi was last with the Texans.

I am holding out hope for Willie Anderson or LeCharles Bentley.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-03-2008, 11:08 AM
wow we get a sixth round pick??? i thought we would have to give 2 first rounders to the other team just to take this bum

i'd rather have a dude that has never played football in his life be a backup then have mahan's experience
:hilarious::hilarious: yea i thought we would have 2 give up an pick LOL but i heard on sportsbeat it's an 7th round who cares as long as we got rid of that contract, he was an bum anyway:hilarious:

JB 67
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Sucker trade

K Train
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Okobi was last with the Texans.

I am holding out hope for Willie Anderson or LeCharles Bentley.

anderson is old but would be better than what we have....bentley would be interesting but i think hes done, that infection must have ravaged his knee

onthebus36
09-03-2008, 05:29 PM
No matter what pick we got for Mahan, it's a good deal. It's way better than what the Bungles got for Big Willy!

Also, we should get some good compensatory picks for free agent losses next year. We should get a pretty good pick for Faneca.

SteelerFan87
09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Guarantee that 6th rounder is used on another future Practice Squad All-Star O-lineman next year. :lol: