PDA

View Full Version : How does everyone see week 1 playing out...

Troyisabeast_43
09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Just wanted to get some early predicitions on all of the games within our division this coming weekend. I like the Steelers to beat the Texans in a pretty close hard fought game. This game will by no means be a gimmie game seeing that the Texans have a very very good defense especially up front, and some good weapons on offense. The Steelers will need to show up in this game and play well which I think they will be able to do to pull out the win.

I like the Cowboys also to sneak by the Browns as well. I think the Browns playing at home in this game gives them a decent shot to win, but in the end I just think the Cowboys have too many weapons on offense for the Browns suspect defense to be able to slow down enough to win. This game could possibly come down to late in the 4th quarter or a last minute FG, but nonetheless I still like Dallas to come out of Cleveland with a win.

Lastly, the game between the Ravens and Bengals is a toss up and might be one of the worst games of the weekend. I dont think there will be much offense from neither team in this game. My gut tells me right now I like Cincy but something also tells me that the Ravens will find a way to pull this game out seeing that they are playing at home and their defense is still pretty solid enough to slow Cincy down just enough to win.

As Ive stated before on here with Cincy and Baltimore most likely not going to be a factor in the division race at all, it really makes the Browns Dallas game and our game with Houston criticial going into our week 2 matchup in Cleveland on Sunday night. If the Steelers beat Houston and the Browns lose to the Cowboys then that is going to set up pretty much as close to a MUST win game for the Browns in week 2 of you're going to get. The Browns just cannot afford to virtually fall 3 games behind the Steelers with the tiebraker included in that 2 weeks into the season especially losing a game at home to the Steelers as well. If this happens it will be very very hard for the Browns to overcome the rest of the season and they will be fighting and uphill battle to catch the Steelers for the majority of the season and that is just something the Browns cannot afford to have happen if they hope to contend and win this division this year.

MOTORKRAFT
09-01-2008, 02:25 PM
The Steelers will dominate the Texans. A shutout would not suprise me. The Browns will be soundly beaten by the Cowboys at home. Derek Anderson will struggle and the Q.B. controversy will began. The Bengals will defeat the Ravens. The Ravens off. might set records for the least pts. scored in a season. The Bengals might set records for being the worst coached team ever. In short the division is ours for the taking. Now if you will excuse me, I fear that I have lost a beer, I must find it. Happy Holiday to everyone.

BlackGold4vr
09-01-2008, 02:33 PM
The Steelers should easily handle the Texans. The only thing that could make this a close game would be turnovers (Mendenhall). Hopefully he can keep those big guns of his wrapped firmly around the pigskin! :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Don't sleep on the Texans.....They have a solid DL and very good special teams....Their DL could give our OL fits...Plus we all know about our special team woes.....lol...Plus Matt Schaub is a solid QB....He is prototypical 3-5 step drop back QB....So our pass rush better get there....

However I really like the Steelers in this game.....I think 31-17 sounds good....

Cowboys will thrash the Browns....I also think the Ravens will beat the Bengals...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Take the poll on the homepage too (www.steeleraddicts.com) that asks this very question :D

If the Steelers take care of the football and get after Schaub we can win this game by 14 pionts but if we turn it over and the ST gives up big plays then it's going to be a lot closer than any of us want it to be.

I look for Ben to be able to make some plays against them and Heath should play a big part in this game as well. They will be going after Mendenhall every chance they get so he needs to come through solid for us because you can't give a team like the texans any confidence by allowing them to score cheap points.

yinzer
09-01-2008, 03:01 PM
texans d line is pretty stout. i predict a lot of heath and willie action.

K Train
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
texans d is not that good, mario williams is a beast and okoye is a good player but the other half of the line is garbage and the only other good player they got is demeco ryans since dunta robinson is out...that secondary is weak with him, without him its garbage....we should bomb all over them. i remember when we played the texans for the opener in houston 3 years ago it was a rout this shouldnt be much different. They have a pathetic run game, a sorry oline (worse than ours) and i really think Ike Taylor is one of the few who can handle a big guy like andre johnson who imo is the best WR in the nfl right now

MOTORKRAFT
09-01-2008, 03:52 PM
The Texans have no running game. Schuab will be so confused, that he will question his own ability to tie his shoes. I predict a shutout. Anything else will be uncivilized.

steelcityrockers
09-01-2008, 04:17 PM
texans d is not that good, mario williams is a beast and okoye is a good player but the other half of the line is garbage and the only other good player they got is demeco ryans since dunta robinson is out...that secondary is weak with him, without him its garbage....we should bomb all over them. i remember when we played the texans for the opener in houston 3 years ago it was a rout this shouldnt be much different. They have a pathetic run game, a sorry oline (worse than ours) and i really think Ike Taylor is one of the few who can handle a big guy like andre johnson who imo is the best WR in the nfl right now

Fred Bennett is as good if not better than Robinson. Their OLine is much better than their reputation would leave you to believe (Allowed 22 sacks last year if I remember right) and they have Alex Gibbs coaching them (he almost single handedly created the Denver running phenomenon) They have a solid trio of backs in Steve Slaton (who I didn't like coming out but he looks pretty good), Ahman Green who can still get it done if healthy and Chris Taylor, an unknown favorite of the coaching staff.

Troyisabeast_43
09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
If we jump on Houston early on in this game I think we can roll; however, if the Steelers let the Texans hang around in this game in the 2nd half going into the 4th quarter this could be a lot closer then people think. If they can get up like 10-0 or 14-0 early in this game it will totally take away Houston's run game and it will force Schaub into making a lot of mistakes and turning the ball over.

yinzer
09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
If we jump on Houston early on in this game I think we can roll; however, if the Steelers let the Texans hang around in this game in the 2nd half going into the 4th quarter this could be a lot closer then people think. If they can get up like 10-0 or 14-0 early in this game it will totally take away Houston's run game and it will force Schaub into making a lot of mistakes and turning the ball over.

ya, if schaub starts relying on throwing to play catch up, our d might end up with 6 INT's. :greengrin:

steelcityrockers
09-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Schaub is a tad overrated but don't mistake him for Favre. He usually knows how to take care of the football.

K Train
09-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Fred Bennett is as good if not better than Robinson. Their OLine is much better than their reputation would leave you to believe (Allowed 22 sacks last year if I remember right) and they have Alex Gibbs coaching them (he almost single handedly created the Denver running phenomenon) They have a solid trio of backs in Steve Slaton (who I didn't like coming out but he looks pretty good), Ahman Green who can still get it done if healthy and Chris Taylor, an unknown favorite of the coaching staff.

i dont think taylor will do anything despite how high the staff might be on him, slaton is perfect for teh zone scheme but hes no every down back. green, despite what you think....actually cant get it done, hes not really a get it done guy....point is that run game is nothing to be afraid of

steelcityrockers
09-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Taylor is a pwerful back. Not real fast, but he runs low and pushes the pile. He reads his blocks well (vital for the zone blocking scheme.) Green, when not injured, runs downhill and still may have some of the burst that made him good left. Fumbling is not as much of an issue with him now. Not one of their backs is an every down guy, but togethe they form a competent trio. No, they don't have that guy that you hate to see line up in the backfield, but if they all do their part, it should work for them. Their offense should never be compared to something like Indy's our ours even. But it is better than a couple playoff teams from last year (cough Titans cough cough.)

BlitzburghNation
09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
The Texans improved alot from last year and they have a healthy Shaub & Johnson,,,,
We need to control the clock & run the ball down thr throat & then hit'em deep on play action to holmes,nate or sweed for an early lead,,,,,,,,,,We should win this game by 10 and we better at least win this game or it could bite us later in the season !!!!!

Hash-Browns will lose by at least 14,,,,,,,thr secondary cannot handle Dal---:moon:

The Bengirls will out kick the Rat-Turds,,,,,,,,,They have the better QB to get them in fieldgoal range,,,,,,,Final Score 16 Bungho's----Rat's 6

Stairwayto7
09-01-2008, 07:10 PM
I like the Steelers, cowgirls, and bung holes to all win. By how many doesn`t matter anyway. Its now time to show up!

HUNT4SEVEN
09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
If Pittsburgh comes 2 play i c them beating the texans 37-17.

steelcityrockers
09-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I'll make a prediction of 31-20 Steelers.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Don't sleep on the Texans.....They have a solid DL and very good special teams....Their DL could give our OL fits...Plus we all know about our special team woes.....lol...Plus Matt Schaub is a solid QB....He is prototypical 3-5 step drop back QB....So our pass rush better get there....

However I really like the Steelers in this game.....I think 31-17 sounds good....

Cowboys will thrash the Browns....I also think the Ravens will beat the Bengals...

You kinda took the words right outa my mouth when you mentioned special teams play.They were a steeler killer last year(st) and for a while now.They were pretty good in the pre-season,but if they can carry that play to a real game,then i think this should be a pretty entertaining win for us.

Troyisabeast_43
09-01-2008, 09:17 PM
You kinda took the words right outa my mouth when you mentioned special teams play.They were a steeler killer last year(st) and for a while now.They were pretty good in the pre-season,but if they can carry that play to a real game,then i think this should be a pretty entertaining win for us.

Houston does have a good return game with Andre Davis and Jacoby Jones both have very good speed and are capable of running back balls for scores so that is definitely one area the Steelers MUST focus on this week when they put the gameplan together of how to slow down the Texans.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

The Texans improved alot from last year and they have a healthy Shaub & Johnson,,,,
We need to control the clock & run the ball down thr throat & then hit'em deep on play action to holmes,nate or sweed for an early lead,,,,,,,,,,We should win this game by 10 and we better at least win this game or it could bite us later in the season !!!!!

Hash-Browns will lose by at least 14,,,,,,,thr secondary cannot handle Dal---:moon:

The Bengirls will out kick the Rat-Turds,,,,,,,,,They have the better QB to get them in fieldgoal range,,,,,,,Final Score 16 Bungho's----Rat's 6

Flacco was named the starting QB this week for the Ravens with the injuries to Smith and Boller so that should be very interesting to see how he performs against a bad defense in Cincy.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2008, 09:30 PM
This week 1 game is a great test for our ST as some of you mentioned, if we can't hold our own against a pretty good Texans unit then we know the rest of the season could be rough. Granted the first few games ST units can tend to be a bit out of sorts since you generally have young guys out there playing but regardless we need to stay in our lanes and be sure tacklers because 1 big return can spark a team like Houston who feels they have something to prove.

BigBen2Holmes
09-02-2008, 02:19 AM
CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! honestly i think were gonna kick ***, first of all were at home, second......there the friggen texans, comeon.....ratbirds gonna loose and dallas is gonna kick the browns ***. thats the way i c it going down.

JensK
09-02-2008, 02:26 AM
I think Steelers will win, and they will control the game. The bengals will beat the ravens, not by too much, but they will win :)

im not sold on dallas yet. God i hope they beat the bejesus out of the browns, but im not ready to bet on that game. It all really depends on how well browns secondary's can hold down dallas defence. Its going to be a shootout imo.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-02-2008, 03:19 AM
I have all the hopes in the world for the special teams.we know it.They know it.Tomlin knows it.Every team we play knows it.I think they have addressed a lot of needs in that aspect,but they need to show the proof on the field of play. It will certainly take some heat off of the o-line.It has got to be three units working in tandem,and in this order.......SPECIAL TEAMS....OFFENSE....and DEFENSE........and SPECIAL TEAMS again.That my Steel brothers,and sisters,is a recipe for success!!!!!!

TEEMONT
09-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Ben will throw for about 220 yards and 2 TDS, but Williams is going to get to him at least twice.

Willie will have about 89 yard no TD's

Mendenhall will have 54 yards 1 TD

Santonio 8 catches for 110 and a TD

Hines 7 Catches 45 yards

Heath 4 catches 50 yards and a TD

I think Troy gets his first pick in nearly two years....and the D scores a TD and only gives up 10

JensK
09-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Ben will throw for about 220 yards and 2 TDS, but Williams is going to get to him at least twice.

Willie will have about 89 yard no TD's

Mendenhall will have 54 yards 1 TD

Santonio 8 catches for 110 and a TD

Hines 7 Catches 45 yards

Heath 4 catches 50 yards and a TD

I think Troy gets his first pick in nearly two years....and the D scores a TD and only gives up 10

And if this is wrong, you owe everyone on SA a beer :)

greg1964
09-02-2008, 12:00 PM
With all the talk about our Offense live this off season: The key match-ups are three:

James Harrison vs rookie LT Duane Brown: I remember how Harrision destroyed Cleveland rookie tackle last year and I see Harrison doing it again this year.

Marvel Smith vs Mario Williams: Williams came on strong last year, and is quick and strong at the point of attack. The sey for the Steelers is to pass on first and second downs. If the Steelers have many third and longs (10+ yards) it could get heated.

Willie Colon vs A. Weaver RDE: Weave is on 285 lbs and Colon strenght is run blocking. But becasue of Weaver speed, he gains the advantage on long passing down.

With the above infomation and the injuried secondary of Houston: I perdict the Steelers will roll to a 35-10 win and start the season 1-0:grin1:

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
I hate to keep harping on this,but our special teams play is ,i think the key to our season. We can match up with any team in this league,except the ? mark on our special teams.Not our o-line,not our d-line,not our passing game,not our rushing game.Special teams must dictate at once,and no better time to start than the houston game!!!!!!

steelerschick1220
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I see the Steelers beating the Texans. I am going to say the score will be 28-10. At home on opening Sunday, I just would be shocked if we were to not win this one.

Browns are going to get owned by the Cowgirls. I would be shocked if this game is even close. The Browns fans are going to get a huge reality slap Sunday evening.

Ravnes and bengals????????? Who cares????????? I pity the folks who are actually going to have to watch it. I think the Bengals may be able to sqeak this one out, 17-9, or something like that.

yinzer
09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I hate to keep harping on this,but our special teams play is ,i think the key to our season. We can match up with any team in this league,except the ? mark on our special teams.Not our o-line,not our d-line,not our passing game,not our rushing game.Special teams must dictate at once,and no better time to start than the houston game!!!!!!

although i agree with you regarding the special teams, i don't necessarily think it is the "key" to our season. having a below average special teams unit is concerning but if we're talking logistics, the o line is a bigger scare to me than special teams. at least right now. :2cents:

ARKIESTEEL
09-03-2008, 07:30 AM
21 to 10

We get up early and then sit on the ball in the 3rd and 4th qtr. Watch for Matt Speth to have a very good game (just a thought)

Dean Denton
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Steelers 31 Texans 13
Browns 21 Cowboys 24 OT
Bungles-Ravens, I have no clue. They both leave me scratching my head. The Browns game will be close because its a home game for the Browns, and I still think the NFC stinks. I am not sold on Romo or the Cowboys. I dont care how many wins they had last year.
The Texans could cause some issues for us because of our O-Line, but I still think at home we roll them up big. Are D is going to be in the Top 3 all year, and their Offense will be lucky to crack the top 20. Our Offense will be better this year than last year, and it will be too much for their D. I think the Steelers are the Sexy pick in the AFC this year to win it all. call me crazy, but I feel good about this one....

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-03-2008, 12:37 PM
although i agree with you regarding the special teams, i don't necessarily think it is the "key" to our season. having a below average special teams unit is concerning but if we're talking logistics, the o line is a bigger scare to me than special teams. at least right now. :2cents:

How many games last year for example,did our special teams contribute to a loss,that we could have held on to win? I count 2 and maybe 3 counting the Jax. play-off game. I am standing bye the idea that special teams is the most standout portion of our team that must step up,and prove that they are improved.It all starts with the special teams as the first phase of our game.That is only my opinion,and i realize that.I worry more about that than our o-line.Hell, even Tomlin and the front office do not seem overly concerned with the o-line.I think they showed more concern about shoring up Special Teams,as well i think they should have.It is much easier for our defense to bail out our offense if need be,than to have the extra pressure of making up for s.t. blunders as well.

JensK
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM
How many games last year for example,did our special teams contribute to a loss,that we could have held on to win? I count 2 and maybe 3 counting the Jax. play-off game. I am standing bye the idea that special teams is the most standout portion of our team that must step up,and prove that they are improved.It all starts with the special teams as the first phase of our game.That is only my opinion,and i realize that.I worry more about that than our o-line.Hell, even Tomlin and the front office do not seem overly concerned with the o-line.I think they showed more concern about shoring up Special Teams,as well i think they should have.It is much easier for our defense to bail out our offense if need be,than to have the extra pressure of making up for s.t. blunders as well.

I like to see it this way: You win by scoring the most touchdowns. You cannot score any touchdowns, if your QB or RB is laying around on the grass. They will, if our O-line dosnt pick up the slack. If we give up a TD on ST, we'll just have to score 2 ;)

I know its exaggerated, but hell :-P Id rather lose a game than having Big ben injured aswell.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I do buy into that to a certain extent.We have just under 100 sacks in the past two seasons,i have to accept that.I have to accept that our boys were in a transition with a new first time headcoach,and first time offensive co-ordinator (here) and,that was kind of well read through out the league. So predictable,that the o-line started to take heat. Not Big Ben moving out of the pocket,and not being where they all thought he was suppose to be,cuz he was making a play. Thats fine. He is at his best on the run. Maybe that is the scheme,hell i don't know. There are plays you can run to take advantage of your lines talents. They went out and brought fresh new, and used talent in,and let some old go.Keep in mind that Ben did make the pro-bowl despite that mediocrity.Now that brings me to the point.After we score and take the lead,our special teams give up that big play,and we are back where we were.Forced to pass.Pressure on an o-line. Our team was built on solid defense,offense that could carry out that big play when we needed it,and Chuck brought the realization that special teams were important,and sometimes imperative to be successful.That is the aspect of our game that has been missing.They spent a lot of time last training camp (07) working on trying to improve. They did not succeed.Tomlin took a different approach this camp,and i saw strides in the pre-season games.I hope it can carry over into the regular season.I am not taking the heat totally off of the o-line,but there are some other things we could do better.Special teams can spark both the offense,and the defense.I think thats what is needed,and that is my opinion. Thankyou for reading.

DawgBone
09-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I think the Texans are going to be a surprise this season. I'm not just saying this just because I'm a Browns fan, and I hate everything Steelers. I just think that the Texans are going to put up a fight.

I think it will be a 27-24 win Steelers.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I think the Texans are going to be a surprise this season. I'm not just saying this just because I'm a Browns fan, and I hate everything Steelers. I just think that the Texans are going to put up a fight.

Except one of thier websites.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM

I agree it's not going to be as easy, no way we should overlook the Texans or anyone else. There are variables that we have to see unfold but if things go as planned and we don't turn the ball over or allow big special teams plays we should win by 14 points no problem. If either or both of those 2 things happen then we're in for a bigger dogfight then we'd like to be in.

Dean Denton
09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Just be thankful Maddox isn't there to throw four INTs. What was that mess? Didn't we have 400+ yards to their 100+ yards and still lose? I know that was like 5 or 6 years ago but it still pisses me off. We should have the ball 35 to 40 minutes and grind them out. Done deal...no errors on our part and this is an easy start to the season. I dont see us over looking the Texans, but I dont see them giving us any issues. We should win this game by 3 scores.

Troyisabeast_43
09-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Back in 2005 too the Steelers went down to Houston in week 2 I remember and the Texans opened the roof up when it was like 95 degrees and put the Steelers in their black jersey's and it didnt do anything as Ben and Willie had an absolute field day throwing and running the ball and beat the Texans I believe 27-7.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
I agree this is going to need to be a game where the Steelers need to jump on Houston early and kind of take them completely out of their game in which case they will start to panic some and could lead to some turnovers and a lot of big plays for the Steelers. If the Steelers let the Texans hang around in this game let's say late in the 3rd quarter early in the 4th and do not put them away at some point in the 2nd half this game could go right down to the wire in the 4th quarter. I dont expect that to happen and I think the Steelers having the homefield advantage and all should win this game by 10-14 points when all is said and done.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Come to heinz,we'll let the roof open for ya.Or hienz field,where the roof is always open.Or Heinz,we don't have a roof,come play in Jan.

Clevelandsux
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I think the Steelers will beat the Texans 23-20. I think Dallas will kill the Browns.Romo and T.O will exploit the weak Browns secondary. The Browns are very banged up. No cribbs, no chance. The hometeam will win the Bengals Ravens game.