SteelerJack
08-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Fans,

Tell me why you think we'll be better than 8-8 this year with an offensive
line that is an embarassment!

Fan since Bill Austin was a pup

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Because our OL is not as offensive as it was shaping up to be before the draft. It's going to take some time for these guys to learn to work with Hartwig so there is going to be some growing pains regardless but if he pans out like we all hope he will then we won't be in that bad of shape this year. Kemoeatu has had a real good camp and has improved a lot since even last year. Marvel is healthy and ready to go. Colon has had a full year at RT and managed to keep Starks off the starting roster ( although how big of a feat that actually was is anybody's guess ). Simmons is serviceable but not fantastic. It all starts and ends with Hartwig, if he can do his job we'll be ok.

yinzer
09-01-2008, 10:59 AM
we will be better than 8-8 because we will.
#1. the line is not as bad as everybody thinks it is.
#2. the offense, including ben, is one of the most dangerous, if not the MOST dangerous in the league.
#3. we have the sickest LB core in the league.
#4. special teams is better
#5. the entire defense is ready to show WHY it was the best in the league last year and why it will be the best again this year.
side note: losing faneca IS NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE. he did not play inspired at all last year and did nothing special. a lot of people say that losing him was big but regardless of his skill, he did nothing last year. watch the tapes.

Captcoolhand
09-01-2008, 11:52 AM
The #1 worst thing about our O-Line is..... No thanks to the front office.
overpaid average players.....:2cents:

Simmons, Hartwig(could prove his worth), Mahan and Starks.

And I'm sure that they feel that Smith is already overpaid for what he's worth or they would have extended his contract.....:stirpot:

Willie Colon is schedule to make $425,000. But, what kind of crazy contract will they offer him after this season. :thinking:

don't mind me I'm just ranting....:D

steelerschick1220
09-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I just think that with Hartwig at center now our line will improve some. Like Top Gun said, they may have some growing pains since Hartwig is the new guy but I think that they will end up being okay.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Here is my take on the OL......The right side is terrible....I think Simmons is average at best and Willie Colon isn't an OT......But Colon has to play RT since there is no other option....I know he has a year under his belt but having have a year of experience won't mask all of Colon's short comings as an OT....Max Starks has to be just so worthless and uninterested in practice to offer no kind of challenge to Willie Colon for the RT spot....

I don't think Hartwig will be that much of an upgrade at center...But he should be some kind of upgrade over Mahan.....But thats not saying much.....lol

I think Big Chris Kemoeatu will be a monster in the run game.....But I do have concerns about his pass protection....

Having a healthy Marvel Smith will help....But I'll say for the 1,0000th time he isn't a LT....Smith is so much better suited for RT......

I was hoping for this OL to be better in 2008.....But really its an average at best OL......

The Steelers really need to upgrade the talent at OT and C next off-season......I would also resign Kemoeatu.......Then ditch Simmons and resign Colon to play OG......I would like to see Smith resigned so the Steelers have an experienced OT next year....But I'm sure his asking price will out of the Steelers range....

jpele
09-01-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm not on the Max Starks band wagon....But I can't help believing there's more than we know going on with Starks. Perhaps the FO is punishing Max(and hurting the team) for not signing a long term deal .

I've watched him play LT last year and would not hesitate to use him there again and there's no way you can tell me he couldn't beat Colon at RT.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Here is my take on the OL......The right side is terrible....I think Simmons is average at best and Willie Colon isn't an OT......But Colon has to play RT since there is no other option....I know he has a year under his belt but having have a year of experience won't mask all of Colon's short comings as an OT....Max Starks has to be just so worthless and uninterested in practice to offer no kind of challenge to Willie Colon for the RT spot....

I don't think Hartwig will be that much of an upgrade at center...But he should be some kind of upgrade over Mahan.....But thats not saying much.....lol

I think Big Chris Kemoeatu will be a monster in the run game.....But I do have concerns about his pass protection....

Having a healthy Marvel Smith will help....But I'll say for the 1,0000th time he isn't a LT....Smith is so much better suited for RT......

I was hoping for this OL to be better in 2008.....But really its an average at best OL......

The Steelers really need to upgrade the talent at OT and C next off-season......I would also resign Kemoeatu.......Then ditch Simmons and resign Colon to play OG......I would like to see Smith resigned so the Steelers have an experienced OT next year....But I'm sure his asking price will out of the Steelers range....

Being an upgrade over Mahan isn't saying too much, Peewee herman could do the same job as he did last year :evilshake: I think Hartwig will be serviceable but not stellar. At this point if he can atleast hold his own we'll "ok".

Simmons is alright, even along side Hartings he wasn't great although most of that time he was injured or dealing with just find out he was diabetic, then he got beside Mahan and it really got bad. Im not totally convinced we've seen the best Simmons can be to this point but maybe we have. :dunno:

Colon isn't the prototypical RT that you want but he should atleast alittle better this year.

No way we get Marvel back next year man he's going to get a big ole Faneca kind of contract if he wants it. I'd like to see him back because Hills probably won't be ready to step in full time yet.

Oddly enough the one I have the most confidence in for 2008 besides Marvel is Kemoeatu. I think he's going to have a break out year and he looked better in pass protection so far than he ever has.

Average OL in 2008, yeah I'd definitely agree with that. I don't know how much potential these guys have but I guess we'll find out.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Being an upgrade over Mahan isn't saying too much, Peewee herman could do the same job as he did last year :evilshake: I think Hartwig will be serviceable but not stellar. At this point if he can atleast hold his own we'll "ok".

Simmons is alright, even along side Hartings he wasn't great although most of that time he was injured or dealing with just find out he was diabetic, then he got beside Mahan and it really got bad. Im not totally convinced we've seen the best Simmons can be to this point but maybe we have. :dunno:

Colon isn't the prototypical RT that you want but he should atleast alittle better this year.

No way we get Marvel back next year man he's going to get a big ole Faneca kind of contract if he wants it. I'd like to see him back because Hills probably won't be ready to step in full time yet.

Oddly enough the one I have the most confidence in for 2008 besides Marvel is Kemoeatu. I think he's going to have a break out year and he looked better in pass protection so far than he ever has.

Average OL in 2008, yeah I'd definitely agree with that. I don't know how much potential these guys have but I guess we'll find out.

With the Moore signing and the drafting of Mendenhall...I thought those two move were going to help the OL some in 2008....

Moore with him being such a receiver out of the backfield and his blitz pickup skills...He will help on 3rd downs by picking up the blitz as a blocker or as an outlet receiver.....

My hope with Mendenhall was that he would make defenses respect our running game again....I'm not saying defenses didn't respect Willie Parker...I think they did to a point but it wasn't the same respect that defenses have showed the Steelers running game in years past....I was hoping the combo of Parker/Mendenhall would bring that respect back and put the pass rush on their heels some...

With Mendenhalls early fumbles problems I don't see that happening in the early part of this season...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Bringing in those weapons can certainly help the OL because it gives Ben more options in the passing game and different looks in the running game too. Teams are going to after Mendenhall big time every time he touches the ball and if they start having success stripping it from him it's going to be downhill for his confidence that's for sure.

Ben is going to need to do a lot of quick drops, short passes, and plays that get the ball out of his hands quickly till these 5 guys get sured up, the last thing we need is another year of a billion sacks on our 100+ million dollar investment.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Everybody likes to get down on Max. Isn't he a better pulling lineman.His pass protection has not proven to be stellar,but i have seen some instances in the running game when he pulls he is pretty effective.Didn't we only keep two tightends?I think max could fit in as an o-lineman/te. A third TE? Can he catch the ball?

steelcityrockers
09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Max Starks is a tackle and thus wouldnt pull basically at all. He is the third TE, but he only comes in on Goal Line formations. $7mil for a 3rd String blocking only TE is pretty bad.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry,i did not know that a tackle was not considered an o-lineman,and that he could not pull.Can he catch the ball?

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-02-2008, 03:21 AM
O.K. My Steel brothers and sisters.This is my take on the 2008 offensive line.The boys have had a knack when it comes to picking up second hand centers. Save Mahan. However that is not his natural position anyway.He still adds depth to the line.He can do somethings that others can't do,which makes him solid in Tomlins eyes.Hartings,i mean excuse me, Hartwig,can have a nice carreer with this team,and he is aware of the history believe me.What center in the nfl has not heard of Webster,Dawson,Hartings?The man knows what he is up against,and i believe that!!None of us die-hards know what he will do with his chance to excelerate his carreer.He does have a chance though.Max still has a chance on the line also.He must!!Why pay that much for a dude that is gonna sit around and collect a paycheck?Tomlin might make him play special teams to earn it!!!!!(lol) At least go around and pick all the dirty towels up in the lockeroom,or hotdog wrappers off the field.I agree with Tunch,he needs to get a fire lit under his ***.The man can play,but is lacking some kind of drive.Our play calling should define our offensive line play this season.Must play to your lines strengths.To really mix it up,in the play calling i think, would really help these guys gell.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Max Starks is a tackle and thus wouldnt pull basically at all. He is the third TE, but he only comes in on Goal Line formations. $7mil for a 3rd String blocking only TE is pretty bad.

I allways see him get down the field and lay a block on runnig plays.Musta been pickin up that hotdog wrapper!!!(lol)

TEEMONT
09-02-2008, 06:21 AM

I still wanna see Colon at RG and Starks at RT...or maybe Starks at LT and Smith at RT....eh....

steelcityrockers
09-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm sorry,i did not know that a tackle was not considered an o-lineman,and that he could not pull.Can he catch the ball?

It isn't so much that he can't pull as it is an offensive tackle very rarely, if ever pulls. He almost always would have a guy head up on him which would make pulling difficult.

SteelfordWexler
09-02-2008, 11:41 AM
The most telling thing about our o-line is that the FO is apparently willing to let three of the five starters and two of the primary backups to go into free agency after the season. That isn't exactly a vote of confidence.

Stairwayto7
09-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I think with all our offensive weapons, that we can keep defenses from blitzing too much, and we can really keep the defenses on thier toes.

Holmes, Ward, and Sweed. Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore. Miller and Spaeth. That sounds like a helluva lineup

SteelersWoman
09-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I think we go better than 8-8 because of:

1. Big Ben

2. Holmes

3. Our defense

4. STs --They're playing much better this season (if preseason is anything to go by).

5. And once again, we're considered the 'underdogs' by the media. Steelers (at least in the past) have always seemed to step up to that challenge.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I think with all our offensive weapons, that we can keep defenses from blitzing too much, and we can really keep the defenses on thier toes.

Holmes, Ward, and Sweed. Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore. Miller and Spaeth. That sounds like a helluva lineup

and that's going to help in the protection as well because Ben has more options than ever in both the passing game and running game. They key is Hartwig, if he can hold his man then everything will fall into place, if he can't then it will all just fall...