PDA

View Full Version : Cuts are in

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-30-2008, 04:59 PM
www.steelers.com

PITTSBURGH ― The Steelers trimmed their roster to the 53-player limit today by placing one player on the Reserve/Injured List and releasing 22 others.

Eleventh-year QB Charlie Batch was placed on the Reserve/Injured List after breaking his collarbone in the Steelersí preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Third-year LB Arnold Harrison was placed on the Waived/Injured List after injuring his left knee in the Steelersí preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers. The team also placed rookie LB Mike Humpal (neck) and rookie S Ryan Mundy (ankle) on the Waived/Injured List. Both players were selected by the Steelers in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

The Steelers released 18 other players from their roster today, including: LB Patrick Bailey, WR/KR Eddie Drummond, P Paul Ernster, FB Billy Latsko, OG Doug Legursky, OG Matt Lentz, CB Roy Lewis, S Grant Mason, DE Ryan McBean, OT Jeremy Parquet, DT Scott Paxson, DE Jordan Reffett, WR Willie Reid, WR Micah Rucker, TE Dezmond Sherrod, TE Lee Vickers, RB Justin Vincent and CB Travis Williams.

Wide receiver Marvin Allen will be added to the Steelersí practice squad as part of the NFLís international player development program. All NFL teams may sign up to eight players to their practice squad beginning after 12 noon on Sunday, Aug. 31. The addition of Allen enables the Steelers to carry a ninth practice squad player.

yinzer
08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
sucks for harrison.

BlackGold4vr
08-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I thought Willie Reid might edge Dallas Baker, guess not. :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-30-2008, 05:23 PM
So let's see here...

Legursky is a good candidate for the PS although having Stapleton on the roster and Mahan who can play Center might prevent that.

Im glad we stuck with Berger and not Ernster, Mitch will give us 1 solid year and that's all we need.

Im happy for Dallas Baker, the kid worked hard and deserved that final roster spot. Reid has had his chances and did have a decent preseason but that's about it.

Roy Lewis I thought had a real shot at making the team but Madison is a ST demon and that counts for a lot. Lewis will get put back on the PS.

I really hate to see Mundy & Humpal not make it, both guys got injured and just couldn't get enough playing time in to show their stuff. I would bring them both back on the PS in a heartbeat.

So much for the McBean project, but Eason had a real good camp and preseason and he should provide us some young solid depth.

Troyisabeast_43
08-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Im glad they kept Baker over Reid and Berger over Ernster I think both of these decisions will be proven right here through the course of this season. Thought maybe Bailey or Lewis might steal one of those special teams spots with their performance on Thursday night but I guess not.

Zachintosh66
08-30-2008, 05:48 PM
:( i liked Roy Lewis

steelcityrockers
08-30-2008, 06:00 PM
So let's see here...

Legursky is a good candidate for the PS although having Stapleton on the roster and Mahan who can play Center might prevent that.

Im glad we stuck with Berger and not Ernster, Mitch will give us 1 solid year and that's all we need.

Im happy for Dallas Baker, the kid worked hard and deserved that final roster spot. Reid has had his chances and did have a decent preseason but that's about it.

Roy Lewis I thought had a real shot at making the team but Madison is a ST demon and that counts for a lot. Lewis will get put back on the PS.

I really hate to see Mundy & Humpal not make it, both guys got injured and just couldn't get enough playing time in to show their stuff. I would bring them both back on the PS in a heartbeat.

So much for the McBean project, but Eason had a real good camp and preseason and he should provide us some young solid depth.

Mundy and Humpal will go on IR if they clear waivers.

Haha, Eason is the young guy...at 29.

Zachintosh66
08-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Just glancing at the "new" roster... realized that Donavon Woods made the squad... seems like a good all around athlete. Welcome to the squad!

steelcityrockers
08-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Woods is an interesting guy, at Ok St. he threw 13 TD passes as a freshman (scholl record.) He was then converted to safety and apparently then converted to ILB in the pros.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Woods performance in the Panthers game probably nailed his spot on the team...I'm glad he made it since I did like what I seen from him this pre-season....

jpele
08-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Glad I didn't ....but I would have bet money Mundy and Roy Lewis made the team. Yea it does suck for A Harrison, the guy came to play.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Surprises me to see them keep Baker over Reid, after all Reid was a draft pick and he was more of an investment for the team. Baker does well but needs to be consistent, imho...

SteelerSal
08-30-2008, 10:32 PM
The way Reid produced in the preseason he will not be unemployed for long. He will produce for another team, on offense and as a return man while Baker fails here if ever he gets a chance to get in the mix on offense only.

Boy I hope I'm wrong.:crossfingers:

DIESELMAN
08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Woods performance in the Panthers game probably nailed his spot on the team...I'm glad he made it since I did like what I seen from him this pre-season....

Yeah he really turned it up a few nothces the past couple of games, good for him.. As for McBean, all I can say is he had plenty of chances, to bad he couldn't stick but I won't lose any sleep over him being cut.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2008, 02:12 AM
I like the make up of our DL this year. With the addition of Roye and the fact that Eason played really well in camp and these last 4 games Im not near as worried about them as I was heading into camp. It's still an area to address next offseason for the future because Roye isn't a young dude anymore but for this year they should work out well.

Prosdo
08-31-2008, 04:12 AM
Not many surprises. Willie Reid had time to develop and he just never could put it together. He looked decent this preseason, but he really needed to show more to make this team. I rather them give Dallas Baker a chance.

roosterray
08-31-2008, 09:01 AM
The Willie Reid Project is over. He was brought in to be RandelEl and could make a kick return without messing up or fumbling.

I am at a loss to say much about Drummond, who beat him out? I haven't been watching much, however they said on the NFL network Friday Drummond will improve our return game and we cut him .. Things that make you go HMMM .:helmet:

yinzer
08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
The Willie Reid Project is over. He was brought in to be RandelEl and could make a kick return without messing up or fumbling.

I am at a loss to say much about Drummond, who beat him out? I haven't been watching much, however they said on the NFL network Friday Drummond will improve our return game and we cut him .. Things that make you go HMMM .:helmet:

these guys are given PLENTY of time to show the coaches something. i didn't see drummond do anything special or show us he's capable. he didn't do diddly squat in the pre-season. sorry, eddie. it was your time to go.

steelcitysfinestXL
09-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Really our best bet was to:
-Cut Reid, he was worthless as a PR, and a 6th WR at best
-Cut Bloom and Drummond cause neither separated themselves!
-Put Moore in at PR, he may not be amazing but he should be consistant (unlike Reid)
-Use Santonio in spot returns!
-Use Dallas Baker as a 5th WR, we could honestly do ALOT worse than him. (like Reid, Rucker and the other ***-clowns who were cut) I REALLY see him as the next Nate Washington!

K Train
09-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Willie Reid is on the eagles practice squad....thats comedy right there lol

Zachintosh66
09-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Surprises me to see them keep Baker over Reid, after all Reid was a draft pick and he was more of an investment for the team.

Um Baker was drafted as well. Just Reid was higher.

Baker does well but needs to be consistent, imho...

Reid was anything but consistent (when it counted = in games). Yeah he did okay in preseason but he was brought in here to be more of a Return threat. Where as Baker was brought in the be a WR. And A return threat Reid is not...

Stlrs4Life
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Reid cut still surprised me. Tough luck for Arnold Harrison. Glad we kept Fox at LBer. Berger made it also.

AZ_Steeler
09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I thought for sure Reid would make the team!! Oh well... I guess that's what happens when you spend your first two years getting hurt all the time!