PDA

View Full Version : now that the pre-season is behind us.

Gettysburgh_Steel
08-30-2008, 03:07 AM
How is our "beloved" team going to carry on? Are they going to be the run oriented team that thier o-line is built for,or are the going to try to groom them for pass protection? Love to hear from the Steeler nation.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-30-2008, 06:02 AM
We are not a 3yd and a cloud of dust team nor are we going to be a team that's pass happy like the Seahawks are (or were). We run a very similar type of offense that the Colts do, we've got all the weapons on offense we need to be successful in the passing game and the running game but make no mistake about it Tomlin wants to run the ball and be successful at it. Arians is a guy that uses a lot of multiple WR sets, no FB, and basically gets as many weapons on the field at a time as he can so Ben's options are wide open. Right now IMO, we are a team that passes to set up the run. That's a far cry from what we used to be but we are what we are now and so far it seems to be working.

yinzer
08-30-2008, 08:53 AM
if mendy can hold on to the ball... WATCH THE **** OUT!!

blackngold29
08-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty excited about the offense, Willie in on first down, Mendenhall in on second, pound pound pound. It has poetential to be one of the best running tandem's we've had. Willie and Bettis were good, but they were ususally limited to long and short plays respectively. Mendy just needs a little work, but he shouldn't be as tired (the supossed cause of the fumbles).

yinzer
08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm pretty excited about the offense, Willie in on first down, Mendenhall in on second, pound pound pound. It has poetential to be one of the best running tandem's we've had. Willie and Bettis were good, but they were ususally limited to long and short plays respectively. Mendy just needs a little work, but he shouldn't be as tired (the supossed cause of the fumbles).

being tired is not a legit excuse. it's a fundamental problem that needs to be fixed ASAP.

steelersgal86
08-30-2008, 08:39 PM
if mendy can hold on to the ball... WATCH THE **** OUT!!

:iagree: Cant wait to see it happen:tt02:

SteelerSteve
08-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Mendenhall will probably cough it up a few times this year, but I think he will more than make up for it with his hard, fast running. The guy will be a game changer.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Mendenhall will probably cough it up a few times this year, but I think he will more than make up for it with his hard, fast running. The guy will be a game changer.

Oh yeah he's going to fumble this year regardless of whether he had troubles in preseason or not with holding onto the ball. He'll make a lot of plays for us and he's going to begin to show why he was worthy of a 1st round pick so that will help ease the transition as he works through his issues. It's all growing pains with a young back. Still though I think right now he's alittle worried about it and when it's in your head like that it makes the situation even worse.

roosterray
08-31-2008, 09:08 AM
I am also eager to see Mendenhall step up. He'll be much better then Davenport was for us. Davenport couldn't catch the ball so it was very obvious we were going to run or he'd be a blocker or decoy. With Willie and Mendy, anything could happen. especially in a 2 back 2-3 TE set. OPTIONS OPTIONS. One thing for sure. The offense will move the ball if the OL gets better as the year progresses. Nothing makes the defense better then a time consuming drive. Tomlin is a Defensive guy so we'll see the effort to make drives last. It took a long time for INDY to realize balance and running on Offense made their defense better. They copied us after we won the SB.:2cents:

Stairwayto7
08-31-2008, 09:20 AM
It seems that we could have a quick strike offense, this would keep opposing defenses on thier heels, that way we could help protect our offesnive line so that they can protect our QB. The more weapons that we have, useful weapons, the better off we will be, that could slow down the blitz.

steelcityrockers
08-31-2008, 01:11 PM
I am also eager to see Mendenhall step up. He'll be much better then Davenport was for us. Davenport couldn't catch the ball so it was very obvious we were going to run or he'd be a blocker or decoy. With Willie and Mendy, anything could happen. especially in a 2 back 2-3 TE set. OPTIONS OPTIONS. One thing for sure. The offense will move the ball if the OL gets better as the year progresses. Nothing makes the defense better then a time consuming drive. Tomlin is a Defensive guy so we'll see the effort to make drives last. It took a long time for INDY to realize balance and running on Offense made their defense better. They copied us after we won the SB.:2cents:

Actually, Davenport could catch pretty well.

K Train
08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
davenports hands are actually great, thats probably his best feature

Gettysburgh_Steel
08-31-2008, 02:11 PM
It seems that we could have a quick strike offense, this would keep opposing defenses on thier heels, that way we could help protect our offesnive line so that they can protect our QB. The more weapons that we have, useful weapons, the better off we will be, that could slow down the blitz.

I am hoping that opposing defenses will have to respect both our passing and rushing capabilities.If they stack the box,we could burn them with the passing game.Drop too many in coverage,and i think we have potential to burn ya with the run. Can't wait!!!!!!!

steelersgal86
08-31-2008, 02:27 PM

:iagree: I think he is going to be just fine:yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-31-2008, 02:35 PM

Davenport was a good receiver out of the backfield...He had that 30+ TD reception against the Pats...Plus provided a Ben a good out let period out of the backfield...He had much better hands then any of other RBs last year....

But with Mendenhall and Moore there was no need for Davenport anymore....Moore is going to prove to be very valuable this year.....He alone will reduce the sack total some what this year....Moore has very good hands and his route running is very good as well.....Hate to sound like a broken record but he will be Ben's Keven Faulk....

Mendenhall just needs to protect the football and lower his shoulder more....Then he will be fine....

steelcityrockers
08-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Moore is also a terrific pass-blocker.

steelerschick1220
09-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I think we will do what we did last year. Pass, pass, pass in the first half and if we are winning, run, run, run in the second.