PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Playcall

PITT23
10-10-2006, 07:20 PM
That award has to go to that 4th down fake type of play we attempted to run. You either punt or try a play that has even a slight chance of working, but not that crap.

-Why bring out the punter if you're not going to drop him back to look like a punt. He wasnt going to block anyone. If you want him to make a hit then put in A REAL PLAYER.

-You cant run a play for good yards when you RUN SIDE TO SIDE as we clearly were trying to do. The friggin' Chargers are slow and they were going to have their faster guys (only 1 or 2 linemen, mainly LB's and DB's/WR's) since it was the punt return team.

Come on, I know we can do better than that...

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Yea I agree that play was retarded and one of the worst plays I have ever seen.

AZ_Steeler
10-10-2006, 08:08 PM
That was the most dumbest play that I have seen in quite sometime. The Steelers had no chance from the time they lined up... that play just had failure written all over it from the onset!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 09:09 PM
We usually do well with fake punts and they work well because we disguise them...this time a 2 yr old could have called that fake before it happend :cursin:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 09:12 PM
We usually do well with fake punts and they work well because we disguise them...this time a 2 yr old could have called that fake before it happend :cursin:

Why didn't they have Troy run the fake punt? He did use to play RB in high school.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Pee Wee Herman could have run that fake punt better than we did.

We've got a host of multi dimensional players on our team that could have done it. Hines, Cedric, Heath, Santonio, Troy. You just have to be careful not to tip your hat too much to what your doing, like we did..ugh !

suitanim
10-10-2006, 09:21 PM
If it would have worked, this thread doesn't exist.

Trick plays are high risk/high reward. Many coaches won't chance it...Cowher won us a Super Bowl with a couple of them last year.

I'm not deriding anyone, just asking people to be even-handed...you can't love it only when it works. If you never run, play-action won't fool anybody. It's part of the bigger picture.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 09:24 PM
If it would have worked, this thread doesn't exist.

Trick plays are high risk/high reward. Many coaches won't chance it...Cowher won us a Super Bowl with a couple of them last year.

I'm not deriding anyone, just asking people to be even-handed...you can't love it only when it works. If you never run, play-action won't fool anybody. It's part of the bigger picture.

Very solid post Suit and good points. But that fake punt looked doomed from the start. Thats my problem with it. I'm not a big fan of trick plays anyway. Even last year when they worked. Just like you said its high risk/reward.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I love trick plays, the Steelers have a ton of them and we usually execute them to perfection...but that one was just not well disguised at all and that's what bothers me and what doomed it from the start.

House of Steel
10-10-2006, 09:27 PM
That trick play was awful against San Diego, I was like WTF? This isn't going to work, guys. Then, bam, it didn't, blew up right before their eyes. They didn't even hide the fact that it was a trick play. Merriman just totally dominated us Sunday Night. He is a sure hall of famer the way he's been playing. He is exciting to watch.

suitanim
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Romeo Crennel said it best "Like I told you before, if the play works, it's good. If it doesn't, it's bad.''

Sounds simple, but it's true...there's a fine line between hero and goat, and when the play works, the players are heroes, while when it fails, the coach is the goat.