PDA

View Full Version : Which 2 other QB should the Steelers Keep

greg1964
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
There is alot of talk about which QB should be Steelers backup:

Batch: 11 year vet that seams to be OK with the backup roll: can be another set of eyes for Big Ben. Know the offense well enough if Bid gose down for a game or two, can win those games.

Leftwich: 6 year pro who wants to be become an starter again the the league. Is just learning the offernse and once the season starts will get NO reps with the 1st unit. Has played in the league and could win some games this year, but more than likely will be gone next year. (i.e. Rent a player)

Dixon: Rookie that has some skills, but paring injuy to Big Ben will not see the field for the next 9 YEARS: The question is: WHAT profiit is it to the Steelers if he ride the pine to the next four years, only to leave for a opperunity to play QB else were.

Conclusion: Keep Leftwich as the number #2 UNTIL Batch is heathy, Move Batch to #2 and more Leftwich to #3 then deside with on of the two whats to be part of the Steelers next year and sign him. Which means Dixon is the odd man out, and find someone; if anyone to be #3 next year:

REMEMBER: Big Ben hasn't play a complete season in four years: So this decision is IMPORTANT

The only thing about this is that the Steelers would have wasted another 5th round pick this year. They could have used that pick of the full back from WVA and cut Davis the year:

BTW: But the Steelers could have to have a comittment from Batch that he will re-sign with them next year or release him this year:

JensK
08-28-2008, 01:48 PM
There is alot of talk about which QB should be Steelers backup:

Batch: 11 year vet that seams to be OK with the backup roll: can be another set of eyes for Big Ben. Know the offense well enough if Bid gose down for a game or two, can win those games.

Leftwich: 6 year pro who wants to be become an starter again the the league. Is just learning the offernse and once the season starts will get NO reps with the 1st unit. Has played in the league and could win some games this year, but more than likely will be gone next year. (i.e. Rent a player)

Dixon: Rookie that has some skills, but paring injuy to Big Ben will not see the field for the next 9 YEARS: The question is: WHAT profiit is it to the Steelers if he ride the pine to the next four years, only to leave for a opperunity to play QB else were.

Conclusion: Keep Leftwich as the number #2 UNTIL Batch is heathy, Move Batch to #2 and more Leftwich to #3 then deside with on of the two whats to be part of the Steelers next year and sign him. Which means Dixon is the odd man out, and find someone; if anyone to be #3 next year:

REMEMBER: Big Ben hasn't play a complete season in four years: So this decision is IMPORTANT

The only thing about this is that the Steelers would have wasted another 5th round pick this year. They could have used that pick of the full back from WVA and cut Davis the year:

BTW: But the Steelers could have to have a comittment from Batch that he will re-sign with them next year or release him this year:

No no, no and no.

Do you honestly think that leftwich wants to be 3th string QB for the steelers? I think not. Besides, Dixon is going to be the best backup in the league within a few years.. Mark it down! The thing we should do: Get rid of Leftwich whenever Batch is ready to play again, and keep dixon as the 3th stringer. Within a year or two batch should retire, and then we'll have a killer backup in Dixon!

greg1964
08-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Do you think Dixon wants to be a backup for the next 8 years?

Do you think Leftwich wants to be out of the league again?

The answer to both is NO: But if Letwich is under contact this year, dose he have a choice: and Dixon; if with the Steelers this year do you think he going to win the starting job and time soon.

The key here is Batch health and willingness to resign with the Steelers: If Batch resigns Dixon will be nothing more than #3 until his contact expires. If Batch dosen't resign, Dixon will the #3 this year with the possiblity of moving to #2 next. And three years later, move to another team that will give him a chance to play.

ejsteeler
08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Simple, Ben, Charlie and Dennis.

K Train
08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
ben, leftwich, dixon.....in a year or 2 we wont need 3 because dixon is gonna be a baller. batch is washed up

AZ_Steeler
08-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I say they keep all three Leftwich, Batch and Dixon. :dunno: Batch is definitely the backup for Pittsburgh with Dixon to replace him when he calls it quits. Leftwich is just here until Batch is better and then he'll be let go.

JensK
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Do you think Dixon wants to be a backup for the next 8 years?

Do you think Leftwich wants to be out of the league again?

The answer to both is NO: But if Letwich is under contact this year, dose he have a choice: and Dixon; if with the Steelers this year do you think he going to win the starting job and time soon.

The key here is Batch health and willingness to resign with the Steelers: If Batch resigns Dixon will be nothing more than #3 until his contact expires. If Batch dosen't resign, Dixon will the #3 this year with the possiblity of moving to #2 next. And three years later, move to another team that will give him a chance to play.

If there were any teams who were high enough on Dixon to want him as a starter, i think it would be strange that he went to us in 6th round. I don't care what leftwich want. Its not his decision.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Dixon stays, that's a no brainer. The kid has talent but he's a project.

If Batch were to agree to a 2 yr deal then u might as well keep him around and then let him go after that so Dixon can step up to the plate. Plus Charlie will give them a hometown discount to stick around to try and get another ring.

Leftwich isn't getting a starting job anytime soon in the league, so the most he can hope for is a backup job anyways.

Either way we win because we have an experienced backup behind Ben.

TampaSteelGirl
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Simple, Ben, Charlie and Dennis.

YES...YES...YES.....YES!!! I agree!!!! :yellowthumb:

BlackGold4vr
08-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Cut Batch. It comes down to money and age. Charlie is older and would cost more to keep. Leftwich isn't costing us much - beggars can't be choosers. In a back-up capacity he can add a nice security in case something happened to Ben. I just wish he would learn to throw with some touch and ease up on the Nolan Ryan fastballs. In a year or two Dixon will be a very capable back-up and Leftwich can be sent packing. :yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Cut Batch. It comes down to money and age. Charlie is older and would cost more to keep. Leftwich isn't costing us much - beggars can't be choosers. In a back-up capacity he can add a nice security in case something happened to Ben. I just wish he would learn to throw with some touch and ease up on the Nolan Ryan fastballs. In a year or two Dixon will be a very capable back-up and Leftwich can be sent packing. :yellowthumb:

Can't argue with the logic, but my gut says stay with Batch. Thankfully, I am not a coach in the NFL. :lol:

Dako
08-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Bye Bye Byron....

Stairwayto7
08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
No doubt, Leftwhich and Dixon for now. When Batch is ready then decide where Leftwhich is , and if he is the right choice. Dixon you keep. Caqn`t afford Batch and Leftwhich.

Zachintosh66
08-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Easy... Ben, Dixon, Batch... Byron Sandwich needs cut

Ambridge
08-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Ben, Leftwich and Dixon.

Dixon is going to be an Ace in the Hole sometime down the road and I don't think he's that much of a "Project".

Dean Denton
08-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah I like Steamin Willie Beamin too. (Dixon) This is gonna be tough on Batch depending on how much time he misses, and how well Leftwich can do. Thats were the battle will be. I think because of Dixons athletic ability we will be able to use him as a trading leverage in a couple years for a key player. He wont replace Ben but will be a great back up next year or the year to follow. I see him getting the #2 spot next season. I'm not a Leftwich fan.

Stairwayto7
08-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah I like Steamin Willie Beamin too. (Dixon) This is gonna be tough on Batch depending on how much time he misses, and how well Leftwich can do. Thats were the battle will be. I think because of Dixons athletic ability we will be able to use him as a trading leverage in a couple years for a key player. He wont replace Ben but will be a great back up next year or the year to follow. I see him getting the #2 spot next season. I'm not a Leftwich fan.

I agree, but leftwhich is needed for awhile

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Byron is having a good game so far, he's making his case to stay on the roster. At this point the more I think about it it's pretty much a toss up and either one will suffice but I think Byron may have the slight edge at this point.

SteelerSal
08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I think Batch is a better choice.
Leftwich has a stronger arm but Batch seems to be more accurate with the short to medium range passes that allow drives to keep going.
Love to see Dixon eventually be the #2 guy behind Ben but in the mean time he needs to be used occasionally with his talent.

NOVA STEELERS
08-29-2008, 09:29 AM
I :ditto: most of everyone's opinion in that Batch should be kept and Gary Colemen gets his walking papers :imho:

SteelfordWexler
08-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Batch has been a great backup and a great teammate for several years now - unfortunately - his time is done in Pittsburgh

Unless -

they keep four qbs, or
they feel ok with Dixon as the backup

Neither is likely.

Batch won't be ready to play for at least a month - and it is a gamble to assume his arm strength will come back quickly after not throwing and being injured -given that he is not a young kid anymore.

I assume we won't go into the regular season with Dixon as a backup - so they need Leftwich for at least September and probably October. Unless they keep four QBs - they can't hold on to Charlie in hopes that he heals fast without losing Dixon. I think it is more likely that they keep an extra tackle (Hills) or WR.