PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com consensus: Steelers 1st in AFC North

DBR96A
08-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Surprisingly, ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/team?team=pit) was kinder to us than I thought they'd be. Out of 13 analysts, nine of them picked us to finish 1st in the AFC North, and none of them picked us to finish any lower than 2nd.

Stairwayto7
08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
What I like about the article....

Offensive weapons: Pittsburgh potentially has three quality running backs, two tight ends and four wide receivers. With that kind of firepower, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians should be able to attack each defense any way he sees fit. Players like second-year TE Matt Spaeth, newly signed RB Mewelde Moore and second-round selection WR Limas Sweed could make big plays against lesser cover men. Roethlisberger should find many matchups to his liking week after week.

What I disagree with is that Troy is our best defensive player. He was, I`m not sure IS, is the right word. Maybe Harrison, or soon to be Woodley

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2008, 06:28 PM
No no no, doesn't anybody get it..the Browns are the consensus team to win the AFC North!! Sheesh !! :rolleyes:

:reddevil:

yinzer
08-28-2008, 08:46 AM
i bet the stains fans are just burning up about the fact that the stains' hype only lasted for 3 PRE-SEASON GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious:

$teelersRule
08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
i bet the stains fans are just burning up about the fact that the stains' hype only lasted for 3 PRE-SEASON GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious:

:lol::lol: well they ARE the stains after all hahah :yesnod:

dawgs
08-28-2008, 09:25 AM
yes, underdogs again. I do think it will take alot of pressure off the players.

check this out, I think crennel is just super smart. All the injuries are fake, and getting blown out by giants and lions is the plan. He wants everyone to count the browns outs again. Great thinking crennel. :crossfingers:

LatrobePA
08-28-2008, 10:26 AM
The browns suck and will continue to suck this year despite their FA pick ups. I'm a Steeler fan and I approve this message!!

jpele
08-28-2008, 11:07 AM
The browns suck and will continue to suck this year despite their FA pick ups. I'm a Steeler fan and I approve this message!!

:yellowthumb: :markit:

Silverback 92
08-28-2008, 11:41 AM
I like it better when they dont give a chance,Browns will be busy reading their own press releases..Cincy will be busy getting players out of jail and the ratbirds just trying to figar out what direction their team is heading

TampaSteelGirl
08-28-2008, 11:46 AM

check this out, I think crennel is just super smart. All the injuries are fake, and getting blown out by giants and lions is the plan. He wants everyone to count the browns outs again. Great thinking crennel. :crossfingers:

Once again a mediocre season last year with an easy schedule and the Browns fans think they are the underdogs!! Come on now! And i'm so sick of the excuse that 9 starters are out and hurt, half of those starters i've never even heard of, it's not like they are all huge IMPACT players, not just because i've never heard of them but they are not "highly recognized" and it's sad that Browns fans are counting on those 9 starters to make a huge impact on their season..If you don't have back up that can win.....then you aint got shiat! You've got to have a first, second and third string you can count on like we do. If these 9 starters can't start just say at the beginning of the season and they lose, the excuse will continually be becuase it's because they have 9 starters out...Lame...lame...lame!!! We've won games for years with many of our starters hurt....You need to have a second string you can count on as well!!! Stop with the excuses, you guys got KILLED pre-season with a few starters and your second string, that's bad, really bad. We had close games with all 3 strings out there. A good football team does not rely only on it's first string, they need an entire team of good, not great football players, I'm not seeing that with the Browns.

dawgs
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Once again a mediocre season last year with an easy schedule and the Browns fans think they are the underdogs!! Come on now! And i'm so sick of the excuse that 9 starters are out and hurt, half of those starters i've never even heard of, it's not like they are all huge IMPACT players, not just because i've never heard of them but they are not "highly recognized" and it's sad that Browns fans are counting on those 9 starters to make a huge impact on their season..If you don't have back up that can win.....then you aint got shiat! You've got to have a first, second and third string you can count on like we do. If these 9 starters can't start just say at the beginning of the season and they lose, the excuse will continually be becuase it's because they have 9 starters out...Lame...lame...lame!!! We've won games for years with many of our starters hurt....You need to have a second string you can count on as well!!! Stop with the excuses, you guys got KILLED pre-season with a few starters and your second string, that's bad, really bad. We had close games with all 3 strings out there. A good football team does not rely only on it's first string, they need an entire team of good, not great football players, I'm not seeing that with the Browns.

Enter button is your friend. headache.

You say the browns suck, but there not the underdogs??? Need to explain that one to me. teams that suck or are not better then the teams they are playing, are the underdogs.

you never heard of braylon Edwards, Josh cribbs, DA, jamel lewis, sean jones, willie mac(sure he is old and washed up now, but i know u heard of him). brodney pool is iffy, but you should know who he is. ryan tucker has also been the browns best OL men since 2002 when he got here. Now its thomas.joe J. a 6'5 WR with great hands. Ya he's hard to miss.

I hate to use excuses, but 9 starters come on. If browns stay hurt like this then they will be lucky to win 6 games. But if they get healthy then 9-10 wins are possible.

steeler fans will always count the browns out, thats fine, thats to be expected. If browns won 6 superbowls in a row you guys will still say they suck. Its no biggie, browns need to get out there (healthy) and prove they can hang with the big boys.

No matter how you guys threaten me, cut me down or whatever, i will always have respect for the steelers there histroy and the steeler fans. I won't let a few people ruin that.

TampaSteelGirl
08-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Enter button is your friend. headache.

You say the browns suck, but there not the underdogs??? Need to explain that one to me. teams that suck or are not better then the teams they are playing, are the underdogs.

you never heard of braylon Edwards, Josh cribbs, DA, jamel lewis, sean jones, willie mac(sure he is old and washed up now, but i know u heard of him). brodney pool is iffy, but you should know who he is. ryan tucker has also been the browns best OL men since 2002 when he got here. Now its thomas.joe J. a 6'5 WR with great hands. Ya he's hard to miss.

I hate to use excuses, but 9 starters come on. If browns stay hurt like this then they will be lucky to win 6 games. But if they get healthy then 9-10 wins are possible.

steeler fans will always count the browns out, thats fine, thats to be expected. If browns won 6 superbowls in a row you guys will still say they suck. Its no biggie, browns need to get out there (healthy) and prove they can hang with the big boys.

No matter how you guys threaten me, cut me down or whatever, i will always have respect for the steelers there histroy and the steeler fans. I won't let a few people ruin that.

Do you know how many times the Steelers are the underdogs? We are always the underdogs and we have a great team! I never said the Browns "suck", you had a better year last year yes and yes there is alot of potential there, not denying that but until you have more than one good season the word "underdog" doesn't mean much. I know of Edwards, Cribbs and Lewis, the others I am not familair with them.
What I think most of us are trying to say as far as the Browns is that while as a "football" fan you should be proud and excited for your team when they have a great year as you should be after last year, i'm sure the disappointment as a Browns fan has been more than most can stand BUT I think what everyone is trying to say that just because you had a decent year last doesnt' mean the Browns will sweep the division. Get into the playoffs one year and then lets talk about sweeping the NFC North division next year, not saying it couldn't happen this year but all the hype is quite premature. Have confidence in your team, of course we do but you have to expect Steelers fans to be harsh considering we are in the same division, we are fighting for a first place division championship and a chance at the playoffs and SuperBowl.
We appreciate the respect for the Steelers and perhaps this year will be the year we respect the Browns more but until they prove they are a better football than the past it's hard to get respect if you haven't earned it. I"m not trying to cut you down or disrepect you because we all football fans but you have to know that you can't sway people from an opposing football team who are diehard fans to feel the way you do about your team. Most of us have expressed the fact that the Browns are getting better but this year will speak volumes. Understand?

ejsteeler
08-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, the clowns can get 6 SB's and we may not say they suck anymore, we will still hate them....:nahnah:

dawgs
08-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Do you know how many times the Steelers are the underdogs? We are always the underdogs and we have a great team! I never said the Browns "suck", you had a better year last year yes and yes there is alot of potential there, not denying that but until you have more than one good season the word "underdog" doesn't mean much. I know of Edwards, Cribbs and Lewis, the others I am not familair with them.
What I think most of us are trying to say as far as the Browns is that while as a "football" fan you should be proud and excited for your team when they have a great year as you should be after last year, i'm sure the disappointment as a Browns fan has been more than most can stand BUT I think what everyone is trying to say that just because you had a decent year last doesnt' mean the Browns will sweep the division. Get into the playoffs one year and then lets talk about sweeping the NFC North division next year, not saying it couldn't happen this year but all the hype is quite premature. Have confidence in your team, of course we do but you have to expect Steelers fans to be harsh considering we are in the same division, we are fighting for a first place division championship and a chance at the playoffs and SuperBowl.
We appreciate the respect for the Steelers and perhaps this year will be the year we respect the Browns more but until they prove they are a better football than the past it's hard to get respect if you haven't earned it. I"m not trying to cut you down or disrepect you because we all football fans but you have to know that you can't sway people from an opposing football team who are diehard fans to feel the way you do about your team. Most of us have expressed the fact that the Browns are getting better but this year will speak volumes. Understand?

let me know who said the browns would sweep the divison and what not. I never said browns would win superbowl, or even the divison. i just say they are contenders. But with all these starters out, im not sure about that right now.

I know about 95% of players in football, baseball and basketball. I love sports and I know alot about it. Although I'm good at not letting the games or people get to me. I know all of the steelers players. the good players and the terrible players.

You never heard of DA?? well you guys sure do bash into whoever that guy is. lol. also the 3 guys you say you do know, Are some of the biggest play makers in this game.

Dean Denton
08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I am not sold on the Browns, and I wont be any time soon. They need to beat the Steelers, and do it with some kind of consistency. Snagging a win once every 8 or 9 games means nothing. We own them, and I think it will be the same this year. The games are always good, but were just a better team....

TampaSteelGirl
08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
let me know who said the browns would sweep the divison and what not. I never said browns would win superbowl, or even the divison. i just say they are contenders. But with all these starters out, im not sure about that right now.

I know about 95% of players in football, baseball and basketball. I love sports and I know alot about it. Although I'm good at not letting the games or people get to me. I know all of the steelers players. the good players and the terrible players.

You never heard of DA?? well you guys sure do bash into whoever that guy is. lol. also the 3 guys you say you do know, Are some of the biggest play makers in this game.

You're not pulling anything positive out of my posts to comment on, No i don't know who DA is because I dont' follow Browns football and yes I know the other 3 players I know are play makers, I didn't say they werent. Anyway I was just trying to comment positive things as well but you only seem to care about the negative I say so i'll finish this last post by saying.....GO STEELERS!!!!! Looking forward to SuperBowl XLIII and 6 SuperBowl rings!!! :tt02:

greg1964
08-28-2008, 03:39 PM
WHO cares what the experts say: THEY don't play the games.

dawgs
08-28-2008, 03:41 PM
You're not pulling anything positive out of my posts to comment on, No i don't know who DA is because I dont' follow Browns football and yes I know the other 3 players I know are play makers, I didn't say they werent. Anyway I was just trying to comment positive things as well but you only seem to care about the negative I say so i'll finish this last post by saying.....GO STEELERS!!!!! Looking forward to SuperBowl XLIII and 6 SuperBowl rings!!! :tt02:

He's only are probowl QB. (don't care if someone got hurt or not, not my problem or DA's).

Dean Denton
08-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Whens the last time the Browns beat the Steelers?

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

Just so you know DA stands for Dumb *** who is going to sit on the bench a nurse an injury....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I am not sold on the Browns, and I wont be any time soon. They need to beat the Steelers, and do it with some kind of consistency. Snagging a win once every 8 or 9 games means nothing. We own them, and I think it will be the same this year. The games are always good, but were just a better team....

That's about the size of it right there...the Browns will need to be competitive in the division year in and year out like we are before anyone is going to take them seriously enough to call them a contender. To be the best you have to beat the best and the best in the AFCN is the Steelers when you look at the history over the last 10 years for example.
Being improved is one thing and you have to give them props for that, but lets not take it any further till we see how they do in 2008 atleast.

Dean Denton
08-28-2008, 06:29 PM
That's about the size of it right there...the Browns will need to be competitive in the division year in and year out like we are before anyone is going to take them seriously enough to call them a contender. To be the best you have to beat the best and the best in the AFCN is the Steelers when you look at the history over the last 10 years for example.
Being improved is one thing and you have to give them props for that, but lets not take it any further till we see how they do in 2008 atleast. Yeah, they played us tough in that 2nd game last year, but that was because of mistakes on our part. I dont see that happening again, and I think we win both games this year by 14 or better. They are still the Browns. And if Anderson cant go we will have a field day picking on Brady.....

steelerschick1220
08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
The Browns aren't going to be that good this year. I have every faith in that as I sit here and write those words. No matter who plays at QB I think we will beat them by a pretty solid margin. We are just a better team.

I read the ESPN article last night. I was surprised to see that most of them picked us to win our divison. I was even more surprised at the nice things that some of them had to say.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Why even bother to play the games in the AFC North? Nobody stands a chance in the division against the Cleveland Browns, right?

That's what most pundits thought for most of the offseason. The Browns were the trendy pick to win the division, the so-called "hot" team. Their 10-6 finish from 2007, coupled with a talent-rich roster, made the entire football world jump on the Browns as the chic team in 2008.

Then something happened on the way to the coronation. The Browns stumbled through the preseason. Now there are doubts.
For the past month, I've been warning anyone who would listen that the Browns were a year away. Now I'm convinced I'm right. The schedule is brutal, the starting quarterback has to prove he's not a one-year wonder and there is a shaky secondary that could lead to a lot of big passing plays for the opposition.

The new Mistake on the Lake is picking Cleveland to win the division.

I remember a conversation I had with Browns general manager Phil Savage last spring. I told him that many of the experts were going to pick his Browns to win the AFC North.

"We have to learn how to beat Pittsburgh first," Savage said.

That is why the Steelers are the team to beat. Pittsburgh won both games against the Browns last season. That won't change this season.

Pittsburgh has a star passer. The Browns, on the other hand, might be going to Brady Quinn this season if Derek Anderson struggles.

So if it's close between teams, and it is, give me the team with the better quarterback. That's the Steelers.

During my camp visit to Latrobe, Pa., a trip that came a few days after watching the Browns work, it became clear to me that the Steelers were the better team.

Pittsburgh has a good defense, the running game will be better with the addition of first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall and the offensive line will be improved over the unit that struggled last season.

Plus, they have quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is getting better every season.
Predicted Order of Finish
1. Steelers 2007 standings: 10-6
NFL
Pts Scored: 393
Pts Allowed: 269
Off. Yds/G: 327.4
Def. Yds/G: 266.4
Give/Take: +3
2. Browns 2007 standings: 10-6
NFL
Pts Scored: 402
Pts Allowed: 382
Off. Yds/G: 351.3
Def. Yds/G: 359.6
Give/Take: -2
3. Bengals 2007 standings: 7-9
NFL
Pts Scored: 380
Pts Allowed: 385
Off. Yds/G: 348.0
Def. Yds/G: 348.8
Give/Take: +4
4. Ravens 2007 standings: 5-11
NFL
Pts Scored: 275
Pts Allowed: 384
Off. Yds/G: 302.0
Def. Yds/G: 301.6
Give/Take: -17

So let's hold off on the Browns-to-the-playoffs talk. Pittsburgh, the reigning champions of the AFC North, will be on top again in 2008.

Overview: The Steelers won the division a year ago and beat the Browns twice, but are considered behind the Browns by many this season. I don't get it. This is still a talented team with a top-tier passer in Roethlisberger. They will score points, especially if the offensive line takes a much-needed step forward. The defense will showcase future star LaMarr Woodley and a physical style. Pittsburgh is still the team to beat in the AFC North. www.cbssportsline.com

~ Another article giving us some love.......:yellowthumb::tt02::tt02:

SteelCityPride08
08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Hell yeah thats what I like to hear

Dean Denton
08-29-2008, 06:37 PM
This is why I like our schedule this year. Its loaded with big games, and all we have to do is win our division to make the playoffs. If we lose to someone out side our division I like our chances in a rematch. Last year with the Jags was a fluke, and it really was my daughters fault. I promise this wont happen again. We will rule *** this year, give nothing and take everything, just like in 300....:cabbagepatch:

TampaSteelGirl
08-29-2008, 08:55 PM
It's about time!! :tt02:

$teelersRule
08-29-2008, 10:14 PM
cant wait for the season! :cope:

SteelerSteve
08-30-2008, 02:07 PM

check this out, I think crennel is just super smart. All the injuries are fake, and getting blown out by giants and lions is the plan. He wants everyone to count the browns outs again. Great thinking crennel. :crossfingers::duh:Yep because every time the browns are the underdogs they go out and prove everybody wrong!:willybs:

Clevelandsux
09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah after watching the Clowns play in the preseason people saw them for what they really are.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Browns will be 6-10 or 7-9.