PDA

View Full Version : Drunkenmiller out as potential owner?

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-26-2008, 09:02 PM
"There's great respect for the Rooney family in the National Football League,'' Goodell told reporters afterward, "and we want to do everything we can to ensure that the Steelers continue to be operated by the Rooneys and the way they've been operated."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2008, 09:12 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08239/907077-66.stm

the other brothers might be having a change of heart after meeting with Goodell and continuing the talks with Dan and Art deuce. I wouldn't say that Druckenmiller is out of the game just yet but it appears there "may" be a renewed sense of family unity with the team after these initial talks. There is still a lot left to figure out yet and Im not totally sure that having Druckenmiller as the head honcho isn't the best idea out there. I still want the Rooney's to run the team but just think what it would be like if they were in control and Drucks money made the team virtually debt free! Think of the free agents we could potentially lure in then....

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Even if Drunkenmiller ended up owning the team. I believe he is on record as saying that he would still want Dan to run the operations. So I do not think that would change the team's approach to Free Agency.

Stlrs4Life
08-26-2008, 09:41 PM
How do people read articles? There is no where in there that says Druckenmiller is out. Reading into it just causes speculation. We have no idea on what was exactly said or talked about in that meeting.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Even if Drunkenmiller ended up owning the team. I believe he is on record as saying that he would still want Dan to run the operations. So I do not think that would change the team's approach to Free Agency.

Yeah that's what he has stated so I wouldn't look for big changes in the teams philosophy to FA or the draft either, which is a good thing IMO. Just thinking of the possibilities though of the big name guys that would be available for us to sign if we wanted too is pretty enticing even if we don't end up bringing them in. Plus just being a team that is more or less debt free would be a big stress relief for the Rooney's as well I would think.

I like the way our team is run on a daily basis, we use every bit of the cap to our advantage, we don't get into cap hell and have to rebuild like other teams, the Rooney's are part of the community and in touch with the fans unlike some owners. Having them in charge just makes sense for the Steeler organization. Having a financial backer as dedicated to the team as Druckenmiller is though would be the next best thing though I would think. He's a business man and isn't about to shell out billions of dollars for the team to see his investment flop so you know he wouldn't be afraid to make the tough decisions either...which could also backfire if he changes his ways though at some point in the future. It's a catch 22.

SteelfordWexler
08-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Goodell appears to be putting pressure on the brothers - by making them an offer they can't refuse. If they don't sell to Dan and A2 - he is implying that the owners will not allow the sale. In other words - you sell to who we want you to or not at all.

Ok, we love the Rooney legacy, but if the franchise is in serious debt to pull this off, it will really impact our competitiveness.

The salary cap (as long as it exists) provides some protection -the Steelers generate enough revenue to cover that - but the problem is the increasing size of signing bonuses. The franchise/Rooneys - will have a problem writing checks for $20 million at a time very often. The cap hit is spread out - and theoretically they get the releif in later years, but you have to be liquid enough to write the check. I really don't know how they pull off a heavily leveraged buyout and remain financially viable long term. If we lose the cap - it makes it about 10 times worse.

jpele
08-27-2008, 11:27 AM
I would love for Druckenmiller to own the Steelers. Nothing against Dan Rooney....just how long will he be around (Stan wants Dan to run the team ) but when he's gone, ArtII in really an unknown factor.

Whatever he has done to this point ,has been with Dan looking over his shoulder

How will Art handle things once his dad in no longer there ? I believe Dan has the same worries and knows Druckenmiller won't hesitate giving ArtII the boot, so he's doing everything he can to retain ownership.

Stairwayto7
08-27-2008, 11:46 AM
How do people read articles? There is no where in there that says Druckenmiller is out. Reading into it just causes speculation. We have no idea on what was exactly said or talked about in that meeting.

Unfortunatley, your right, if we are reading it, then its only half the entire story. We will not get the "behind closed door" perspective.

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-27-2008, 09:57 PM
You do not have to. Goodell wants the Rooneys to run the team. I'm sure that Dan would not have a problem. Lining up the nine votes necessary from the owners to kill any Drunkenmiller offer.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2008, 11:08 PM
You do not have to. Goodell wants the Rooneys to run the team. I'm sure that Dan would not have a problem. Lining up the nine votes necessary from the owners to kill any Drunkenmiller offer.

Dan Rooney has probably as much pull with the NFL owners as Goodell does and if the sale were to go down to Druck and Dan didn't want I'm pretty certain he could line up the votes himself to knock it down too, without Goodell's help. Either way this whole thing should never have gone this far in the first place. The Chief must be just shaking his head in disgust right now as he looks down on his beloved sons.

Steelkidd72
08-28-2008, 02:28 AM
I think when all said and done brothers will be brothers and 1 Rooney will control majarity of the team.