PDA

View Full Version : Whose playbook were the Steelers using tonight? Other thoughts of the game...

AZ_Steeler
08-24-2008, 02:05 AM
What was up with Ben lining up as a wide receiver one play and then two plays later Big Ben takes off in motion??? Trick plays are cool every now and then but that was starting to look a bit ridiculous. To me, a trick play should only be ran when nothing else seems to be working against the defense and the defense knows where you are going before you in get there, to try those plays that early in the game IMHO was a bit unnecessary... I don't know if they are trying throw of the Texans and get them thinking early or what but it seemed to be some dumb play calling :dunno:

Colon got ate up in that first quarter... It's not good seeing Ben getting limited playing time and still ending up on his back twice! The line needs to do something because they looked as bad as they did last year. Did anyone else know that Ben was the second leading rusher for QB's last year??? I had no idea... It's not something I would be proud of because all that says is "yeah my line sucks!"

Willie Reid is still fighting! Can't really complain about 5 catches for 55 yards! He even made a diving catch late in the game only to have Mendenhall cough it up a few plays later.

Speaking of Mendenhall... two fumbles?!?! Are you serious?? Granted he averaged over 5 yards a carry but those two fumbles cast a huge shadow over the yards and average per carry...

Hero of the game... Jeff Reed! Try and argue that one... he was the only one to score and nailed a 47 yarder to end the game! :clap: At least someone else besides Ben looks like they are ready for the season to start!

BlitzburghNation
08-24-2008, 02:13 AM
Nice Take on the game AZ ~~~:bigthumb:

Agree with all your points,,,,,, I hope our line wakes up,maybe it'll take a real game for them to get it together ---:crossfingers:

Starks must be really sucking in practice to not give him a try ~~~:dunno:

One really brite spot was our ST's,,,,,,,,No fumble's & great coverage & tackling :clap:

Like you said Jeff Reed was money !

This is Pre-season and I really don't put alot of stock into it and I'm really thankful we never got any injuries~~~~:clap:

DIESELMAN
08-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Don't forget Ike, he brought his hands with him :lol: Seriously though, I didn't get to watch the game but the 2 fumbles would be something the coching staff is hopefully working with Mendenhall on, if it were up to me then for every fumble you also cough up $1000.00, for every fumble lost, you cough up $5000.00. I bet after losing a few benjamins that problem would go away real quick.

AZ_Steeler
08-24-2008, 02:23 AM
Don't forget Ike, he brought his hands with him :lol: Seriously though, I didn't get to watch the game but the 2 fumbles would be something the coching staff is hopefully working with Mendenhall on, if it were up to me then for every fumble you also cough up $1000.00, for every fumble lost, you cough up $5000.00. I bet after losing a few benjamins that problem would go away real quick.

:lol: I forgot about Ike making that pick there in the first quarter... I guess since it was thrown right at him you would hope he would make that play :D

I like you're idea for the fumbles! :bigthumb:

JensK
08-24-2008, 04:17 AM
2 fumbles is not good at all, however you have to give both willie and mendenhall credit tonight. They had some killer runs, and i was really impressed by mendenhalls ability to find the space he needed. He reminded me of a little of peterson last year. He had the same ability to wait untill the gap was there.

Stairwayto7
08-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Our offense was very boring last night, I`m hoping we just don`t want to show our complete hand yet.?

Our Lienbackers played well, Woodley will be a beast, Harrison is ready, and Timmons had a solid game. Also Aaron Smith loked good.

I understand why Troy didn`t play, but if this crosses over into the regular season, it won`t look good for him! I want to see him on the field, not the sidelines. All this stuff about him working out with his own trainers and not with the Steelers is getting old also, its obvious to me that it isn`t working, if he continues to get hurt.
Tryonne Carter didn`t look bad filling in for Troy though.

Our o-line D-. Its the blitz that will kill us this season, if the continue the way they are playing. We better pray for Ben.

Is Leftwich winning the Batch/Byron contest? I think we need a younger back-up eventually, so this might be the guy. Where was Dennis Dixon?

Receiving corps: Heath is ready to play, Sweed is not, ready yet.

MVP Jeff Reed, and his kickoffs were descent

yinzer
08-24-2008, 08:45 AM
i agree with everything you all are saying. i just have one question... why didn't we take any shots down field? i was waiting for it to come but never did. did santonio even have a catch? last night kinda pissed me off. who in the **** was calling the plays last night???????????????

Zachintosh66
08-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Play calling wasnt that big of a deal... im sure at some point through-out the season there will be a "better" wrinkle off of those formations. It was clear they were trying to establish the run at all costs, pretty "vanilla" other than those WR Ben plays.

Leftwhich aka Fat Albert scares me... to death. Wish Dixon woulda got some work.

so does the OL...

jpele
08-24-2008, 10:12 AM
What was up with Ben lining up as a wide receiver one play and then two plays later Big Ben takes off in motion???

Seems they found an old copy of Mike Mularkey's play book.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

Someone on the staff needs to teach Mendenhall the proper way to carry the ball. Remember Tiki was a fumbler till Coughlin became coach.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Colon got ate up in that first quarter... It's not good seeing Ben getting limited playing time and still ending up on his back twice! The line needs to do something because they looked as bad as they did last year. Did anyone else know that Ben was the second leading rusher for QB's last year??? I had no idea... It's not something I would be proud of because all that says is "yeah my line sucks!"

I'm still baffled as to why Starks don't get an honest shot at either LT or RT,like you said Colon sucks and Marvel isn't too far behind . Max proved to be capable at the end of last season as a LT.

SteelfordWexler
08-24-2008, 10:20 AM
i agree with everything you all are saying. i just have one question... why didn't we take any shots down field? i was waiting for it to come but never did. did santonio even have a catch? last night kinda pissed me off. who in the **** was calling the plays last night???????????????

They got some early pass pressure. Ben was just checking down and getting rid of the ball. He never stood in the pocket -even when the protection was solid. I really thought he was giving up on plays quicker than usual. This is probably a good thing - I'm sure they have been working on this so he can help avoid a few sacks. Also it is preseason - and no one needs to be a hero at this point. He achieved our first objective for the game: he got off the field without being nicked up.

ward86steelers
08-24-2008, 10:23 AM
The o-line doesn't worry me that much. Yea they didn't have their best game, but they were playing the future #1 D-line in the league...at least in my eyes. ST did great, but it would have been nice to see someone get a long return. D-fence stepped up big, didn't see to many missed tackles. The 0ffence had an off game, but there was no/little game plan and the Vikings will probably have a top 5 D this year. Overall it was a great preseason game for both teams.

JB 67
08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
I didn't like all the screens against that massive D-line thought they should have rolled Ben out more.I was happy to see Sweed make a tough catch late in the game

steelcityrockers
08-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Leftwhich aka Fat Albert scares me... to death.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

Gettysburgh_Steel
08-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I was not that impressed with the offense,except Ben and his little head games he was playing with the defense,or future teams we must face? Was that a Ben call or Arians? It is kind of interesting where it might go from that point. The defense gets a B+ in my book. Maybe even an A- for stopping the run.I was most impressed that the special teams did not break thier teamates backs. Kudos to the special teams play.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't mind the gadget plays i Mean remember 3 years ago when we won the supererbowl? against the beangals and during the superbowl the gadget plays worked perfectly and the Steelers do a good job with them.

Mendenhall needs to hold on to that ball

The O-line sucks yet again no surprise

Sweed didnt look like a rookie for once

Willie Ried is making strides

Jeff Reed is MONEY

steelcityrockers
08-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Sweed had the one nice catch, but he had a couple drops too. Nate is still the better option right now.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
08-24-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't remember those drops maybe i was taking a crap but no matter what we got a very decent reciever corps this year

Gettysburgh_Steel
08-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I agree to a certain extent about the offensive line play,we play some heavy-duty pass rushing teams this season,and i can't help but to think that those gadget plays took some heat off of Ben. It's good to see they are still tinkering with ways to slow the pass rush. Willie was involved in both of them.I can see some defenses getting burned off the climax of that play.It must be an experiment,and i can't wait to see where it goes. 14 yard t.d. pass from Willie to Ben? This is exciting.

SteelerSal
08-24-2008, 12:33 PM
The two trick formation reminded me of Arkansas last season with McFadden in the shotgun. That formation needs to be tossed out unless Hines or Dixon take the place of Parker so that there is a threat of a pass instead of run. The Vikings knew that it was a run because Parker poses no threat.

Smith and Keisel were beasts on the edges while the two young LBers were playing like seasoned vets. Timmons looks like the quickest lber that this team has seem since Lloyd and Woodley was shedding double teams and holds like Kirkland.

McFadden shown why he can't beat out Townsend and he is degressing each season since he had shown so much promise his rookie year.

Mendenhall needs to take a page out of Tiki Barbers book on how to hold the ball, other than that, his timidness in the first two games were non existant last night and he ran hard with authority and almost broke two run behind a high school o-line. Shows better vision than Parker.

Sweed looks like he shares the same inconsistancy that Nate had his first few seasons which should (Hopefully) change with reps and a repour with one qb tossing to him.

yinzer
08-24-2008, 12:44 PM
The two trick formation reminded me of Arkansas last season with McFadden in the shotgun. That formation needs to be tossed out unless Hines or Dixon take the place of Parker so that there is a threat of a pass instead of run. The Vikings knew that it was a run because Parker poses no threat.

Smith and Keisel were beasts on the edges while the two young LBers were playing like seasoned vets. Timmons looks like the quickest lber that this team has seem since Lloyd and Woodley was shedding double teams and holds like Kirkland.

McFadden shown why he can't beat out Townsend and he is degressing each season since he had shown so much promise his rookie year.

Mendenhall needs to take a page out of Tiki Barbers book on how to hold the ball, other than that, his timidness in the first two games were non existant last night and he ran hard with authority and almost broke two run behind a high school o-line. Shows better vision than Parker.

Sweed looks like he shares the same inconsistancy that Nate had his first few seasons which should (Hopefully) change with reps and a repour with one qb tossing to him.

ya, i like Timmons! even that play when the TE caught that pass on him near the end zone, he closed that gap REAL fast. he's gonna be great.

AZ_Steeler
08-24-2008, 01:01 PM

Holmes didn't catch anything last night... I'm not even sure he had one thrown his way :dunno:

|Rec|Yds|Avg|Lng|TD|FumL
W. Reid|5|55|11.0|22|0|0
H. Miller|3|30|10.0|13|0|0
L. Sweed|3|28|9.3|11|0|0
D. Baker|3|23|7.7|11|0|0
R. Mendenhall|2|15|7.5|8|0|2
M. Moore|3|12|4.0|6|0|0
N. Washington|1|11|11.0|11|0|0
D. Sherrod|2|10|5.0|8|0|0
H. Ward|1|6|6.0|6|0|0
W. Parker|2|2|1.0|6|0|0
B. Latsko|1|2|2.0|2|0|0

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2008, 01:10 PM
The entire defense was fantastic....I know its just a pre-season game....But the Vikes do have a solid OL and Adrian Peterson couldn't do jack against our defense.....Nice job from that unit.....Casey Hampton played well and looks to be back in form.....Aaron Smith and Keisel were also really good last night....The LB core is just "sick"....Harrison is a ****ing animal.......Woodley and Timmons bring so much to this defense...."especially Timmons"....He made sweet cut and tackle on Adrian Peterson on a screen pass that no other LB on our rosters could have made.....

I wasn't worried about the defense....

As for the offense.......the trick plays are ok but I don't want Big Ben out as a WR were a defensive player could give him a cheap shot....Its just pre-season no need to risk the franchise on some trickery......

The OL blows and I was hoping it would be improved from last year....Still its just pre-season so I guess the OL still could shock us....But I doubt it.....Willie Colon isn't an NFL OT for the 300th time...lol....I hate Max Starks and I hate suggesting putting him in the starting lineup.....But some say he is better as a LT then RT....I would like to see Starks at LT and move Smith back to RT which he is better suited for anyway....I would be willing to try anything right now...lol

Kemoeatu is a mauler in the run game but is shaky in pass protection.....I really don't think Hartwig is that much better then Mahan at the moment......Kendall Simmons can die and then move Colon to OG......lol

These things won't happen for the OL and I know this but I had to vent against those bums up front...lol

Troyisabeast_43
08-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Our offense was very boring last night, I`m hoping we just don`t want to show our complete hand yet.?

Our Lienbackers played well, Woodley will be a beast, Harrison is ready, and Timmons had a solid game. Also Aaron Smith loked good.

I understand why Troy didn`t play, but if this crosses over into the regular season, it won`t look good for him! I want to see him on the field, not the sidelines. All this stuff about him working out with his own trainers and not with the Steelers is getting old also, its obvious to me that it isn`t working, if he continues to get hurt.
Tryonne Carter didn`t look bad filling in for Troy though.

Our o-line D-. Its the blitz that will kill us this season, if the continue the way they are playing. We better pray for Ben.

Is Leftwich winning the Batch/Byron contest? I think we need a younger back-up eventually, so this might be the guy. Where was Dennis Dixon?

Receiving corps: Heath is ready to play, Sweed is not, ready yet.

MVP Jeff Reed, and his kickoffs were descent

I agree with you on Troy he most likely is not going to get any work against Carolina on Thursday seeing that it's the last preseason game which means it's either going to be sink or swim with him in 2 weeks against Houston without him getting any playing time at all. I am as big a Troy supporter as they come but I agree this is getting kind of old and tiresome and for all the rest Troy has had this preseason and not getting hit he had better not so much as even stub his toe once the season starts. I agree with you on Sweed as well he is not ready to be a big part of this offense yet. He has got to start focusing a little bit better and quit dropping passes so much. While he has improved and gotten better since the start of the preseason the consistency is still not there with him,and until it gets progressivly better he is not going to get on the field in many 3 wide looks to start the year.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
I really think Dallas Baker wins the 5th wide receiver spot from Willie Reid when all is said and done. I think they like his potential and his height and that should be enough for him to survive and make the roster going into the season. Still kind of disturbing to not see anything from the return game on punts or kickoffs much. Guys like Moore,Reid,and Drummond just continue to not do much when put back there. Our kickoff returns and punt returns MUST improve and get better then what they are now.

Stlrs4Life
08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
The trick plays were practiced in pre season. Rather do them now than have to use them alot in regular season.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Glad the D showed up last night. Would have been nice to get one pre-season game with both the offense and defense clicking together.
I don't understand why everyone keeps wondering why we didn't throw any deep routes...it takes about 3.5 seconds for a deep route to develop, Ben was sacked or running for his life in 2 seconds.It's simple math combined with a very ****** Oline performance.
I think Mendenhall will be fine..even with the 2 fumbles last night.You could see the raw talent and skills flash last night..he will be fine.
I don't know why we cut Rossum to pick up Drummond, seems like a down grade to me. Rossum returned one to the house the other night and looked real good.(San Fran)
Preseason is preseason...granted.But blocking is blocking..and the O-line looked really overpowered out there. But i still think we have a very solid team and i think we will surprise some of the people who have not mentioned the Steelers in any AFC scenario.

Stairwayto7
08-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Holmes didn't catch anything last night... I'm not even sure he had one thrown his way :dunno:

|Rec|Yds|Avg|Lng|TD|FumL
W. Reid|5|55|11.0|22|0|0
H. Miller|3|30|10.0|13|0|0
L. Sweed|3|28|9.3|11|0|0
D. Baker|3|23|7.7|11|0|0
R. Mendenhall|2|15|7.5|8|0|2
M. Moore|3|12|4.0|6|0|0
N. Washington|1|11|11.0|11|0|0
D. Sherrod|2|10|5.0|8|0|0
H. Ward|1|6|6.0|6|0|0
W. Parker|2|2|1.0|6|0|0
B. Latsko|1|2|2.0|2|0|0

I was also hoping to see Spaeth get involved more

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I missed this game from being away but was checking the score on my phone as much as I could. Just looking over the stats the defense did it's job for the most part. Not exactly the offensive performance you want from your starters in the 3rd preseason game but none the less nobody got seriously hurt and atleast the players go some good reps in. I hate preseason; you want the team to do well but you don't want them to get hurt..you want them to move the ball and make good stops but not show too much..it's a catch 22.

steelerschick1220
08-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I thought the defense had a spectacular game. They played awesome. I was so happy to see them play better then they did against Buffalo.

Our offense??????? It looked a little out of sync. I have no idea why they tried those trick plays. Unless they just want to give the Texans more to prepare for. Our oline did not look very good at all. For Ben to be sacked twice in one half, that just wasn't very good imo. I do wonder since the offense was so good in the first two games and the defense was horrid the last game if they left the offense go and just tried to focus on the defense.

Jeff Reed was money. It was just a meaningless preseason game and I was cheering for them him to make it and get us the win.