PDA

View Full Version : Farrior Signs Five-Year Deal

NOVA STEELERS
08-21-2008, 11:35 AM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2008/08/19/06/0817_TCdh_Farrior_93786.jpg

Steelers Sign Farrior to Five-Year Deal

The Steelers secured the services of one of their defensive leaders today when they signed inside linebacker James Farrior to a new five-year contract through 2012. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Farrior, a 12-year veteran who signed with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent in 2002, has led the team in tackles four times in his six seasons with Pittsburgh. He earned All-Pro honors and finished second in voting for NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2004, when he made his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

Farrior, who has been one of the Steelers’ defensive co-captains since 2004, has registered 705 tackles (511 solo) and 20.5 sacks during his Steelers career. He has never recorded fewer than 100 tackles in any of his seasons with Pittsburgh.

Farrior was originally drafted by the New York Jets with the eighth overall pick in the first round of the 1997 NFL Draft. He set a career high with 175 tackles (116 solo) in 2001, his final season in New York.

Well looks like Farrior is set to end his career with the STEELERS :cope:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
That's awesome. Potsy definately bleeds the black & gold. Dude's a class act and i'm happy for him.:yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Nice, thanks for sharing!

:tt02::banana::tt02::banana::tt02:

PsychoWard
08-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Awesome!!! thats good news!!! thanks Todd!

ejsteeler
08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! I'm glad to see he was not so greedy as to keep this from happening. A very big cog in our wheel for the next few years on the field and in the locker room. :cope: :yellowthumb: :cope:

steelcityrockers
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmmm...would he accept moving to a back up role at some point in the future?

ejsteeler
08-21-2008, 12:35 PM
I would imagine. I find it hard to believe the Steelers or even himself think he will be a starter for the next 5 years with the young talent we have coming up.

steelcityrockers
08-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Exactly, plus Foote is still a viable option. I could see him being the first guy off the bench in two seasons or less.

Captcoolhand
08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
James Farrior (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1219) was rewarded by the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit) Thursday with a five-year, $18.25 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus, a source confirmed.
When the Steelers took two linebackers atop the 2007 draft, Farrior -- one of Pittsburgh's team leaders -- seemed a potential target for replacement. Farrior continued to play at a Pro Bowl level, however, and made sure those draft choices -- Lawrence Timmons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10459) and LaMarr Woodley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10490) -- fit into the defense.
Farrior, 33, was entering the final year of his Steelers contract and was scheduled to make $3.24 million.
A former first-round choice of the Jets, Farrior turned out to be one of the best free agent signings in Steelers history. He had 562 tackles in 78 starts in his five years with the Steelers. In the past two years, the team let him rush the quarterback at little more, and he had 10½ sacks -- 6½ coming last year.
The Steelers believe Farrior can play at least three more seasons. By keeping him, they will have one of the deepest linebacking corps in football. The 6-2, 243-pound Farrior is entering his 12th season.WOW! :eek: There's no F*ck'n way this dude is around for that Contract.

I like Farrior and all but 5 yrs is just rediculous......:stirpot:

steelcityrockers
08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Junior Seau was starting at 38...

AZ_Steeler
08-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Contracts are made to be broken and reworked :) Farrior could easily become the next Bettis type player for the Steelers especially if it looks like they are knocking on the door of the Super Bowl! :bigthumb:

Great news though! :bigthumb:

abejota88
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
I love this News.... he is a great player, and he seems to be a great influence for the guys in the Locker Room...

Go Farrior!

Does anyone see Foote leaving on a trade?

SteelfordWexler
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
The 5 year deal is just for friendly accounting. I don't think anyone expects him to play it out. I am absolutely not a capologist, so correct me if I'm wrong - but I think that with an $18.25 million deal - $5 million in cash up front, he will average $2.65 million a year in salary plus $1 million a year in prorated bonus against the cap That is about what he is getting in salary this year. Not too bad a deal for this quality of player if we continue to have a cap and he plays three years or so.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Farrior deserves it...I'm glad he will finish his career in Pittsburgh...Farrior is still producing and I think he could have another 2-3 solid years left in him....Good signing and I'm shocked this deal was down especially with the ownership situation still up in the air...I would like to see Marvel extended......So I'm hoping they can work something out....

SteelerDan43
08-21-2008, 07:15 PM
From what I heard $10 million is over the next two years, then he would still be making good backup money at the end of the contract. I would say this makes the decision that Timmons will take Foote's spot once he is ready and Farrior will be the other ILB for the next couple years at least

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Hmmm...would he accept moving to a back up role at some point in the future?

Was thinking the same. Glad to see Potsy is staying.

Clevelandsux
08-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I think it's alot of money to shell out to an aging linebacker.

SteelersfaninPhilly
08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Look for the Steelers to restructure in a year or two.

BlitzburghNation
08-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Great News,,,,,,,,The guy is a true STEELER and gives it hell,every single play :bigthumb:

steelcitysfinestXL
08-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Great News!! I dont see Foote surpassing Farrior in the next 3 years. Unless he starts facing injury woes as he ages or really loses a step, Farrior is a solid as you get in our D. I'd look for Foote and Timmons to play this "situational player role" for the next 2 seasons MAX until Timmons is head and shoulders better than Foote. (which i think he already is!) Foote is solid, no doubt, but having a stable guy like James in there i think we should look to experiment ALOT w/ Timmons this seasaon!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I got this text while we were away and was like YES !!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: the people around me thought I was retarded :D

I love the thought of Farrior staying on board; he's producing and he's a leader even though he's getting up there in age. Im sure he'll be glad to restructure whenever it's needed to free up money and what not.

This is a good move so we ensure solid depth at ILB and in case Foote leaves then we have options till a new ILB can be signed to work along side Timmons.