PDA

View Full Version : Steelers mission is not impossible

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 02:31 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_474259.html

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 10, 2006

As was the case in last year's playoffs, the Steelers face a formidable foe -- history.
They conquered it last season, becoming the first No. 6 seed to reach the Super Bowl. Their mission from now until the end of December -- to rebound from a 1-3 start and make the playoffs -- is almost as daunting, though they can take heart in that several teams have tread such a path.

Since the advent of the NFL's current playoff system in 1990, 19 teams have recovered from a 1-3 start to make the playoffs. That's an average of more than one per season, and the list features eight teams since 2000, including the 2002 Steelers and last year's Chicago Bears.

Only one of the 19 teams made the Super Bowl. The 2001 New England Patriots finished 11-5 and defeated the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXVI.

A drop to 1-4 on Sunday against the visiting Kansas City Chiefs, though, would dramatically change the Steelers' odds. Only five teams since 1990 have started 1-4 and qualified for the postseason, the most recent being the Tennessee Titans and New York Jets in 2002 (Chiefs coach Herman Edwards was coaching the Jets).

Steelers coach Bill Cowher, in his 15th season, hasn't experienced a 1-4 start. The team's most recent 1-4 start was in 1988 under Chuck Noll.

At least one notable observer believes the Steelers are cooked. That would be the team's former star running back and current NBC analyst Jerome Bettis, who before Sunday's 23-13 loss in San Diego, said it was a "one-game season" for the Steelers.

"If they want to have a chance to go to the playoffs, they've gotta win this game," Bettis said.

The Steelers, of course, feel differently.

"We'll be OK," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

If so, Roethlisberger, who has no touchdowns and seven interceptions, must radically improve his play.

He is the only starting quarterback in the NFL without a touchdown pass. He has none in his past 131 attempts, dating to last season, and has the second-worst passer rating (41.7) in the league. His fourth-quarter passer rating is 21.6.

After the Chargers game, Roethlisberger said, "I can't tell you the last time I lost three games in a row." For the record, it was his redshirt freshman season at Miami (Ohio) in 2001, when the Redhawks lost their final three games to Marshall, Hawaii and Kent State.

I know Jerome is an analyst now and has to wear that unbiased hat everyday, but damn dude, don't stoop to the rest of the media's level ! Stand strong and don't criticize us cuz you're not earning any points with the black n gold fans that supported you for such a long time.

I want so bad to turn this around for so many reasons, but also so we can prove to Jerome and the rest of the media that his retirement wasn't our downfall ! :2cents:

AZ_Steeler
10-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Jerome is jsut trying to make a name for himself and not be like Sharpe, Collinsworth and all those other media types who wear their team colors on their arm. I repsect him for that part.

As for a "one-game season" It's still early and a lot can happen. The Steelers won what 13-14 straight to close out the 04 season. It's not that early yet!

SteelerFan87
10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
2 things:

1. "It's a 1 game season" doesn't mean "it's over", it just means that that was a huge game for the Steelers. As far as I know, Jerome hasn't said that it's over for the Steelers.

2. Maybe he's trying to help give his former teammates that no respect mentality that always seems to make them play better. We don't know what was said in the lockerroom, so we don't know what kind of things Jerome used to say to motivate the team. He could have had the "it's ok, we just have to go out and play better" approach, or he could have had the "dammit, you guys suck, and you better start playing better" approach.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 09:05 PM
No its not impossible for the Steelers to make this run for the playoffs. But its going to be damn hard for them.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Personally I don't care if Sharpe roots for the Broncos or if Collinsworth roots for the bengals..its there general overall attitude that sucks.

I'd like to see Jerome talk about us some more and say some good things.

Blitzburgh55
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Will win next week hopefully agisnt the sucky cheifs

House of Steel
10-10-2006, 10:09 PM
We will win the next 6 and be right back in the race.