PDA

View Full Version : Batch on fast recovery track

jpele
08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Backup quarterback Charlie Batch said his surgically repaired broken right collarbone is feeling better, and he began his rehabilitation yesterday, hoping that he will be able to return sooner than anticipated.
"I feel pretty good right now," Batch said.

Batch, 33, was injured in the preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles and had surgery Aug. 11 to insert a plate in his collarbone -- a procedure designed to not adversely affect his throwing motion. With Batch out, the Steelers signed veteran Byron Leftwich, a former starter with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Atlanta Falcons, to a one-year, $645,000 contract.

"I always felt I would be back before the timetable anyway," Batch said. "I always have whenever I had anything done before. But you want to err on the side of caution."

Batch said he was told he would be out nearly six weeks following surgery, meaning he could return for the third, and possibly the second, game of the regular season.

He had the surgery, rather than let the injury heal on its own, because he didn't want to be placed on injured reserve and miss the rest of the season. Batch would have been out 10 to 12 weeks if he didn't have surgery. Also, there was a chance his collarbone would "shorten" without surgery because scar tissue would form on the clavicle. Yesterday was the first time Batch had X-rays on his collarbone since the surgery.

Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08233/905527-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Interesting problem, do we put Batch on IR, or do we bring him back and try to trade Leftwich.

Me, i try to trade Bryon,because you know he's not coming back next year anyway.

AZ_Steeler
08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
The Steelers won't get much for Byron unless another team is absolutely desperate... Byron didn't really have teams knocking down his door for work!

yinzer
08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
The Steelers won't get much for Byron unless another team is absolutely desperate... Byron didn't really have teams knocking down his door for work!

how bout the clowns!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::haha::haha::stee lersrule::brownssign::brownssign:

TampaSteelGirl
08-21-2008, 02:20 PM
I"m so glad to hear Charlie is feeling better and getting ready to come back, I have to be honest, I don't like Leftwich and I don't think he's Steelers material! I"m not happy about that pickup but I didn't like Culpepper either!!! Leftwich will always be a Jag and I hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant2:

steelersgal86
08-21-2008, 08:12 PM
good news:yellowthumb:

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2008, 11:02 PM

Exactly. Glad I'm not the one to make the decision.

BlitzburghNation
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Good News ~~~~Heard this on sirius & the 1st thing that popped in my head , He's kinda worried about Byron taking his spot ----:popcorn:

Much rather have batch in there 4-sure :bigthumb:

Let's just hope we need neither !

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2008, 10:43 PM
This is a tough spot because Batch isn't going to be around much longer so the Steelers may decide to release him and sign Leftwitch to a longer deal than 1 yr. Dixon isn't going anywhere and they won't carry 4 QB's so it's a tough call either way.

jpele
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
It is a tough decision, I really like Batch but he has his injury history, age, and the fact his contract ends at the end of the year against him.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2008, 11:20 AM
I think I'd probably want Batch to sign a 1 yr extension and then let him go after that; giving Dixon time to learn and move up to the #2 spot. You can always find a journeyman veteran to play backup QB but Charlie has been around for a long time and he knows the offense. Right now with him and Ben we have the best situation we could ask for but Byron is an option because nobody is going to want to bring him on as a starter anymore so he knows he's going to be a backup and he may be willing to sign a 2 yr deal as well. Either way we make out in the end.

Zachintosh66
08-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Leftwhich is a bum...

Troyisabeast_43
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
If by some chance Batch does happen to be cut and let go come Sunday which I hope he is not by the way, I will bet any money that Whiz with the QB problems he is still having in Arizona with Warner and Leinart will sign Batch very quickly. You heard it here first.