PDA

View Full Version : Soul searching begins

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 01:27 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06283/728782-66.stm

Soul-searching begins after team's flaws exposed again
Tuesday, October 10, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- The Steelers made a long trip to sunny California and departed without ever finding daylight. Things instead grew darker for them after they lost their third consecutive game to slip to 1-3.

They have gone from Super Bowl champs to ones looking very much like one-hit wonders and there is only a single solution.

"Victories," proclaimed linebacker Clark Haggans. "And us playing Steelers football. That'll get us out."

This new version of Steelers football doesn't cut it. It features turnovers, an inconsistent running game and a defense that looks dominant most of the time, susceptible at the wrong times.

Willie Parker and the ground game looked fine in the first half against the Chargers when the Steelers ran 14 times for 55 yards and one touchdown, but they ran only four times in the second half. That's not the kind of Steelers football that Haggans referred to.

"We got things going and then, all of a sudden, things weren't going for us," guard Alan Faneca said. "We came out and it didn't feel like we had too many plays in the second half. We had a couple of turnovers and they had some good drives and we couldn't get back in rhythm."

Interceptions have a way of killing that, and Ben Roethlisberger threw two more. He has thrown seven interceptions and no touchdowns in his three games. The quarterback who set the rookie passer rating record at 98.1 and who has the top two passer ratings in Steelers history has a 41.67 rating after three games. After going 13-0 in his first season and winning a Super Bowl in his second, he's looking more like a rookie in his third.

Roethlisberger described the obstacle that confronts the team as a hump, while most of his teammates called it a hole. Whether they have to climb over it or out of it, they need to start Sunday against Kansas City or they will become the first Steelers team in a long time to be counted out with half a season left.

No Bill Cowher-coached team ever started as poorly as 1-4. The previous time the Steelers did so was in 1988, when they opened 1-6 and finished 5-11. Most famously, their 1976 team lost four of its first five as two-time defending Super Bowl champs and rebounded to go 9-4 and make it to the AFC championship game. But that team had nine Hall of Fame players on it.

"There's going to be a lot of soul searching," said Hines Ward, who hasn't gone this long without a 100-yard receiving game since 2001. "We don't have time to sit there. We don't have any more bye weeks.

"It's not a good feeling, being in the spot we're in. It's been three or four years since I've been in this spot. It is what it is. We're not playing good football."

I hope this soul searching nets us alot more than the searching did during the bye week. This team has got to have faith in one another and they've got to stick together. We've never come undone in the locker room in the past and we won't do it now !

AZ_Steeler
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Granted the bye week probably wasn't the best thing for Ben because he is still trying to find hid rythem. It's only a matter of time before the Steelers find themslves and start doing what they're suppose to, but of course it all starts with Ben.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 08:08 PM
This has been a herky jerky season for us..between the all the day time games we've played and the time Ben has been off from practice and camp, Im looking forward to a regular schedule.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06283/728782-66.stm

I hope this soul searching nets us alot more than the searching did during the bye week. This team has got to have faith in one another and they've got to stick together. We've never come undone in the locker room in the past and we won't do it now !

Very good points Top Gun. The Steelers did have that faith in one another last year and did stick together. I just hope they still have it but the thing is we had our team leader there last year in Jerome Bettis. I do believe we miss Jerome's leadership so far.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 08:13 PM
The absolutely miss Jerome's leadership. He was their rallying cry last year. Get the Bus home and get that SB ring. Now its up to Porter, Ward, Ben, Fanaca, Casey, and others to step up and bring this team together on a players level.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-10-2006, 08:18 PM
The absolutely miss Jerome's leadership. He was their rallying cry last year. Get the Bus home and get that SB ring. Now its up to Porter, Ward, Ben, Fanaca, Casey, and others to step up and bring this team together on a players level.

Exactly one of those guys or a few them have to step up and take that role of leadership. Thats one of the reasons I'm so disappointed in some of the players. I don't think none of those guys have so far. Maybe they needed this 3 game slide for them to wake up and take that role over.

But the Steelers as a whole can start out fresh Sunday against the Chiefs. All I ask is give 100 percent and don't quit. I think Sunday against the Chargers they didn't give 100 percent and did quit. Thats why I was so angry. Hell I can't talk to my friends about it since they are all Bears fans bro. They don't care about the Steelers. So you guys have to deal with me.lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2006, 08:20 PM
For our sakes I hope we win this week then :lol:

Seeing a team quit , or atleast appear to quit for whatever reason is a worse feeling then getting blown out 41-0. If you try your hardest and fail then so be it but when you just fade into the sunset, that's the worst.