PDA

View Full Version : Orpheus Roye Returns To The Burgh

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2008, 06:45 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_583438.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/s_583438.html)

The Steelers have signed veteran defensive tackle Orpheus Roye, who started his career in Pittsburgh A sixth-round draft pick in 1996, Roye played four seasons for the Steelers before signing with the Browns. The 6-4, 330-pounder played for the Browns from 2000-07. He had 37 tackles (24 solo) and half a sack last season in 13 games.
The Steelers had signed defensive end Kevin Huntley late week but he flunked a physical and they waived him Saturday, opening up a roster spot.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
08-17-2008, 06:57 PM
This should be a safe pick-up..Orpheus is a pretty consistant guy,he'll add some nice veteran depth on defense.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2008, 07:03 PM
This should be a safe pick-up..Orpheus is a pretty consistant guy,he'll add some nice veteran depth on defense.

:yellowthumb:.....I agree.....There isn't many options out there....I would take Roye over all of the Steelers backups besides Hoke......He is a vet and if we can get 15-20 snaps out of a game then that would help for this year.....In 2009 the Steelers better add youth and talent along their trenches on both sides of the ball...

Prosdo
08-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Nice to see him back in the black and gold. They definitely need some more depth at the position.

yinzer
08-17-2008, 07:36 PM
i don't know if i share everyone's enthusiasm about roye returning but he def adds good depth. he was solid when we originally had him. just the fact that he was just with the stains kind of irritates me.

Clevelandsux
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Cool, good pick up.

DBR96A
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
i don't know if i share everyone's enthusiasm about roye returning but he def adds good depth. he was solid when we originally had him. just the fact that he was just with the stains kind of irritates me.

Kimo von Oelhoffen was a Bengal before he became a Steeler. Personally, I don't care where a player comes from; I only care about what he can do for us.

Clevelandsux
08-17-2008, 08:30 PM
I know Roye was a solid player for alot of years. I know he played mostly Special teams when he played for us early in his career. Why the Browns cut him, I dunno. Of course they picked up several players in the offseason.

AZ_Steeler
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Here's a scary thought.... the Steelers going with 2 tackles and throwing Roye and Hampton in there at the same time!!!

Good pickup... nothing more than depth especially not knowing how Hampton is going to be... We all know what he's capable of, but with his weight, being out of shape on the coaches bad side right now we never know what will happen. :dunno:

dawgs
08-17-2008, 10:16 PM
well He was dropped by the browns before they got williams and rogers. so yaaaa.

good backup, needs to stay healthy.

DBR96A
08-17-2008, 10:37 PM
well He was dropped by the browns before they got williams and rogers. so yaaaa.

good backup, needs to stay healthy.

He fills a need. :)

Clevelandsux
08-17-2008, 11:19 PM
I heard people saying that Hampton shouldn't have even been on the field thursday, that's how out of shape he was. Hampton is now on my own personal shitlist. He's getting paid big money to stay in shape to play football.

Another case of "take the money and run".

AZ_Steeler
08-17-2008, 11:35 PM
I heard people saying that Hampton shouldn't have even been on the field thursday, that's how out of shape he was. Hampton is now on my own personal shiatlist. He's getting paid big money to stay in shape to play football.

You touched on the thing that bother me the most... these guys get paid a crap load of money to do nothing but work out and stay in shape and play a game that millions wish they could still play today and probably for a lot less money!!! Maybe they should rework his contract so that if he's not in shape he gets a cut in pay or use his weight to determine his pay scale... makes no sense though. I know I would be working out everyday I could because I wouldn't have anything else to do and it would be my job. :2cents:

dawgs
08-18-2008, 12:01 AM
You guys think roye could play the NT?? He's big and strong. would do alot better then fat hampton.

steelcityrockers
08-18-2008, 01:00 AM
He is more DE. He could in a pinch tough. Probably the 3rd NT. I would want Hoke to start.

Prosdo
08-18-2008, 02:05 AM
I heard people saying that Hampton shouldn't have even been on the field thursday, that's how out of shape he was. Hampton is now on my own personal shiatlist. He's getting paid big money to stay in shape to play football.

He really shouldn't have. I was there today and during warmups where they touch their toes and all that stuff he wasn't doing anything, but walking with the group. He just looked bad out there.

steelerbum
08-18-2008, 05:18 AM
hopefully he can make keisel sit...

If u know me u know I have severe hatred for this C-sucking dog. you talk about someone who signs a lucrative contract and does anything but earn it it's him. keisel gets single teamed almost every play and is unsuccessful in defeating it. he's the quintissential anti-steeler(along w/mahan)...pusses-out every play!

steelcityrockers
08-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Uh, Orpheus is in no way a starter anymore. Keisel is the better option.

jpele
08-18-2008, 01:09 PM
You guys think roye could play the NT?? He's big and strong. would do alot better then fat hampton.

Until proven otherwise,fat Hampton is still one of the best NT in the game.

Captcoolhand
08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Until proven otherwise,fat Hampton is still one of the best NT in the game.this don't have to be proven. Dawg just forgets that Roye came though the burgh before he ended up in Clowns town.
We just let someone else pay for his schooling before he came back.:clap:
Welcome to Steeleraddicts jpele.:yellowthumb:

HUNT4SEVEN
08-18-2008, 02:02 PM
AGREED, he's knowns the system an he's consistant he'll add excellent depth:yellowthumb:

dawgs
08-18-2008, 04:38 PM
this don't have to be proven. Dawg just forgets that Roye came though the burgh before he ended up in Clowns town.
We just let someone else pay for his schooling before he came back.:clap:
Welcome to Steeleraddicts jpele.:yellowthumb:

I knew that thank you very much.

hampton's a fat bum. He sucked last season and only made the probowl because people are freakin stupid, just like the morons who voted troy in. Alot of fans go by names rather then stats. which is a shame.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

AGREED, he's knowns the system an he's consistant he'll add excellent depth:yellowthumb:

roye and hampton... Just hope you don't get behind them in line.

Stlrs4Life
08-18-2008, 05:35 PM

I agree, it's almost like we are desperate. This isn't the Salvation Army. (Who can remember who said that?.I'll let yas know later.)

[AutoMerged Post Below]

No. And no he wouldn't. How many Pro Bowls did he make it to while with the Browns?

dawgs
08-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I agree, it's almost like we are desperate. This isn't the Salvation Army. (Who can remember who said that?.I'll let yas know later.)

[AutoMerged Post Below]

No. And no he wouldn't. How many Pro Bowls did he make it to while with the Browns?

none, He's fat and injury prone. But hampton don't look any better.

yinzer
08-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I knew that thank you very much.

hampton's a fat bum. He sucked last season and only made the probowl because people are freakin stupid, just like the morons who voted troy in. Alot of fans go by names rather then stats. which is a shame.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

roye and hampton... Just hope you don't get behind them in line.

simmer down, clowns lover. you're hatred for hampton and troy is irrelevant. hampton IS a stud and troy is the best safety in the league. andersack just better make sure he grows eyes in the back of his head.

PsychoWard
08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
if nothing else roye will add some depth and veteran know how. good pick up:bigthumb:

steelcityrockers
08-21-2008, 01:38 PM
simmer down, clowns lover. you're hatred for hampton and troy is irrelevant. hampton IS a stud and troy is the best safety in the league. andersack just better make sure he grows eyes in the back of his head.

Probably not. At this point, I might take Sean Jones over him.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Here's a scary thought.... the Steelers going with 2 tackles and throwing Roye and Hampton in there at the same time!!!

Good pickup... nothing more than depth especially not knowing how Hampton is going to be... We all know what he's capable of, but with his weight, being out of shape on the coaches bad side right now we never know what will happen. :dunno:

That's a definite option since Lebeau does utilize the 43 defense at any given time on gameday. Between the starting 3, Hoke, and now Roye we are alittle more safe at depth for this year. Im happy to see him back, he was solid for us when he played here and has been since he left for the most part.

JB 67
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I loved him when he used to be on kick coverage destroying the wedge..I don't know what he has left at this stage of his career. :cope:

K Train
08-25-2008, 03:34 PM
theres about a dozen safeties i would take over troy