PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts about our defense, so far -

{STEEL MANIAC}
08-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I was very impressed with our second string defensive players. They really showed that we do indeed have depth at many defensive positions. The first string made me sick to my stomach! Steelers linemen and linebackers are NOT supposed to miss all those tackles. Hopefully James Harrison and Casey Hampton will open their mouths even more and be openly vocal with their opinions toward other first stringers about this kind of defensive play not continuing.

There is absolutely no way at all we will make it to the Super Bowl, let alone win it with the kind of defensive play I witnessed on Thursday. I know we'll pick it up to another level. I just haven't seen such sore open field tackling by a Steelers team since the '80's. We need to get a grip.
(literally)

K Train
08-16-2008, 09:34 AM
these guys are sick of preseason....no need to get sick to your stomach over it

SteelerSal
08-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Hopefully James Harrison and Casey Hampton will open their mouths even more and be openly vocal with their opinions toward other first stringers about this kind of defensive play not continuing.

We already know what happens when Casey opens up his mouth (food falls in).
I'm not sweating the defenses play, during the preseason, if it continues during the first couple of real games then I'll push the panic button.

SteelerDan43
08-16-2008, 09:43 AM
1 preseason game does not a season make...

steelersgal86
08-16-2008, 09:45 AM
wow...I didnt get to see the game but will be watching it in about 15 minutes...but it's only preseason...things will get better:yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
08-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Most of our starters are return starters, we know they can tackle, no sense in risking injury now, although it is easier, in my opinion, to get hurt while half -a$$ing it. When the regular season gets here its full go.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2008, 11:47 AM
I look for the defense as a whole to step up their game next week and atleast put on a respectable performance. the 3rd preseason game is always the one that you really look for your starters to develop some continuity, put drives together, and for the defense to create some turnovers, make key stops, etc. Regardless though preseason in the end is a way to get tuned up so nobody's head is really into the game 100% because everybody just wants to get off the field and let the backups play.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2008, 11:51 AM
This thread is not even worth an response.....ITS PRE-SEASON..........

steelcityrockers
08-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Dude, don't trip. The only reason the backups are playing better than the starters isbecause they have something to play for. Their jobs. It is pre-season. Chill.

BlitzburghNation
08-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Only Pre-crap game to watch is the 3rd one,,,,,,,When teams actually put in plays and they play at least a half and then the coaches get a better feel of what they got,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:popcorn:

God I hate Pre-Season and the only thing I sweat about is injuries !!!!

SteelerSteve
08-16-2008, 01:53 PM
We already know what happens when Casey opens up his mouth (food falls in). :rofl: :hilarious::hilarious:

SteelfordWexler
08-17-2008, 12:54 PM
It is pre-season - but you never want to see the fundemental breakdowns we've been seeing from our starting unit. They are not missing tackles because they are protecting themselves. Quite possibly they are not playing with the necessary intensity, but that is troubling in itself. There is a great deal of truth to the saying - you practice like you play.

We've seen a bunch of our front 7 getting out of position chasing the play in the run game - we were gashed several times on cut backs - you never used to see that with our d. Also, we didn't win many battles - a lot of guys running around blocks tackling RBs five yards downfield. I know, I know - its preseason - but it is reminicient of how we ended the season last year - remember the first Jville game - same story.

Vanilla defensive calls hurt us with pass defense - I read somewhere that the starters were in the base 3-4 for all but one play. Our pass d is going to come down to pressure - we need to get back to getting into QBs heads. That disappeared last year a bit - but Woodley and Timmons should help there.

I'm proud of James Harrison stepping up and being a leader. We need some pride and fire. You really can't expect they can just flip the switch when it counts.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree its alarming to see the miss tackles and other fundamental break downs....But again its just pre-season...lol Remember pre-season 2005?.........When the entire starting offense looked like crap.....If I recall the starting offense didn't even score in the pre-season.....They couldn't even move the ball with any consistency......The offense was ok that year as it turned out.....Since the team went on to win the Super Bowl....lol

dawgs
08-17-2008, 01:42 PM
these guys are sick of preseason....no need to get sick to your stomach over it

Ya so they let the bills walk all over them just because there sick of preseason.

I can understand it to a point. But the OL has alot to prove and they still sucked. (I know this is about the def) What i was more surprised with was the DB's. They could not tackle for anything, And that was against the bills.

Troyisabeast_43
08-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Ya so they let the bills walk all over them just because there sick of preseason.

I can understand it to a point. But the OL has alot to prove and they still sucked. (I know this is about the def) What i was more surprised with was the DB's. They could not tackle for anything, And that was against the bills.

I would be more worried about Braylon Edwards being 100 percent for the regular season opener, and the Browns defense getting better and stopping the run and pass more so then whether the Steelers defense can do either of these things. If memory serves me correct the Browns were dead last in stopping the run and pass and were about 31st in total team defense. The o line does have a lot to prove here still but Ben is a year better and has looked awesome in the first two games so far. He is going to continue to make plays whether the offensive line gives him horrible protection or great protection he is that good.

SteelersWoman
08-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Apparently the way the defense played was enough to make James Harrison get upset and worry--and he's well aware that it's pre-season...

Also--it was a preseason game for the Bills, yet they managed to do enough to win :2cents:

DanRooney
08-18-2008, 01:46 AM
1 preseason game does not a season make...

2 preseason games you mean :yellowthumb:

steelerbum
08-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Honestly keisel, ty carter, and foote are second teamers. when polamalu gets back he will solidify the middle of the field, and pretty much everywhere else...

timmons and roye need to be on the field ASAP!

dawgs
08-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I would be more worried about Braylon Edwards being 100 percent for the regular season opener, and the Browns defense getting better and stopping the run and pass more so then whether the Steelers defense can do either of these things. If memory serves me correct the Browns were dead last in stopping the run and pass and were about 31st in total team defense. The o line does have a lot to prove here still but Ben is a year better and has looked awesome in the first two games so far. He is going to continue to make plays whether the offensive line gives him horrible protection or great protection he is that good.

Ewards is just fine no worries, and good test for are run D tonight.

well you can't expect ben to play the whole season with the OL playin like this. Because if the bills can do what they did, what are the better rushing teams going to do?

Stairwayto7
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
The Thread is titled, Our Defense, we really don`t give a crap aout your biased, uneducated, smarta$$ opinion!

jpele
08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Too soon to be worried about the D. I remember last year against the Eagles, Kolb(then a rookie) passed for 248 yrds. and they averaged 4.2 yrds rushing.

It means nothing til its for real.

dawgs
08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
The Thread is titled, Our Defense, we really don`t give a crap aout your biased, uneducated, smarta$$ opinion!

So why did you read it then?

Stlrs4Life
08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I was very impressed with our second string defensive players. They really showed that we do indeed have depth at many defensive positions. The first string made me sick to my stomach! Steelers linemen and linebackers are NOT supposed to miss all those tackles. Hopefully James Harrison and Casey Hampton will open their mouths even more and be openly vocal with their opinions toward other first stringers about this kind of defensive play not continuing.

There is absolutely no way at all we will make it to the Super Bowl, let alone win it with the kind of defensive play I witnessed on Thursday. I know we'll pick it up to another level. I just haven't seen such sore open field tackling by a Steelers team since the '80's. We need to get a grip.
(literally)

I agree, but Hampton needs to step up himself.

Stairwayto7
08-18-2008, 06:11 PM
So why did you read it then?

Wow so clever, young boy!

yinzer
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM

come on, kid, seriously. the browns aren't good. never have been. never will be. you can say whatever you want IF the stains prove themselves. until then, if you're going to post, at least make some kind of sense.

Troyisabeast_43
08-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Ewards is just fine no worries, and good test for are run D tonight.

well you can't expect ben to play the whole season with the OL playin like this. Because if the bills can do what they did, what are the better rushing teams going to do?

Playing like what?? It's only 2 games into the preseason so far. Back in 2005 the year we won the Super Bowl the offensive line and Ben looked like complete and total **** in the preseason and then turned everything around once the regular season started. Ben had the worst offensive protection from the line last season that he has had so far in his 4 years as a starter and what did he do he put up the best numbers of his career last season. As I type this the Browns defense has allowed another easy TD drive for the Giants to fall behind 14-3 late in the first quarter.

SteelerJack
08-18-2008, 08:57 PM
1. I'm so old I know who Bill Austin is.
2. If I'm not mistaken, last year, the steelers had the 2nd most sacks given up in the
NFL.
3. What changes have we made (other than not signing our pro bowler lineman who
is now with the Jets) to our offensive/defensive line corp?
4. If the Steelers go 8 and 8, I'll be impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. When you lose the battle "in the trenches", your *** is grass (see comment #2)
6. TELL ME WHY I'M A DUMB ***!

Steeler Jack (former Indiana, Pa. guy now in Conklin,
N.Y.)

steelcityrockers
08-18-2008, 09:17 PM
What?

SteelerJack
08-18-2008, 09:26 PM
The starters performance mirrored their performance last year......GOD HELP US!

yinzer
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
1. I'm so old I know who Bill Austin is.
2. If I'm not mistaken, last year, the steelers had the 2nd most sacks given up in the
NFL.
3. What changes have we made (other than not signing our pro bowler lineman who
is now with the Jets) to our offensive/defensive line corp?
4. If the Steelers go 8 and 8, I'll be impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. When you lose the battle "in the trenches", your *** is grass (see comment #2)
6. TELL ME WHY I'M A DUMB ***!

Steeler Jack (former Indiana, Pa. guy now in Conklin,
N.Y.)

jibberish

SteelerJack
08-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I'll bet ya an Icy Light (or Hoppin Gator if ya remember what that dreadful beverage
was) that our Steelers won't do better than 8 & 8 with their DREADFUL offensive/defensive line folk! I HOPE I'M WRONG!

steelcityrockers
08-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Everybody say it with me now!

P-R-E-S-E-A-S-O-N